Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #31
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
All of your plans sound great! I'm so glad you get to experience some of your bucket list items too! FUN FUN FUN!!!!

Thanks ... I'm really excited ... that's just my short Disney bucket list ... I have a much longer one...

We've been to WDW many times and have NEVER seen Fantasmic either?! It's on our list for November though. I'm really hoping we don't come up with any excuses not to see it again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't made it to Fantasmic...Seriously-we've been there enough times-we should have made it at least once...

I guess one nice way to think of ALICE not going is that 3 is cheaper then 4. It's amazing how that one extra person costs so much money. My DS turns 3 in December and that's why we're going in November, since he'll still be 2 everything will be free.

That is an upside to Alice not going and she also loves to shop and usually weedles stuff out of me before I've even realized it happened... ...Good for you ... get that trip in before Disney counts him as a full person...
then down the road you can look forward to your children becoming Disney "adults" when they're 10 ... that's a bit of a shock the first time...

Anyway...... i look forward to reading more.
I look forward to reading more too ... I think I'll do an update...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #32
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Hmmm... What Shall We Eat... Where Will We Go... A Working Schedule...

77 Days till Our Trip Begins...

We are scheduled to fly out of Philadelphia International Airport (yes there are International Flights- not as many as Newark but still...) around 7:15 am... Oh how I love being at the airport bright and early... I'll probably be on my 3rd cup of coffee by the time the plane takes off...

We're supposed to arrive in Orlando at 9:30.

This could go one of two ways...
I feel as if all my flights from Philadelphia are either easy and on time...
or
really delayed... (when we went to California last summer...there was a really huge delay...it is not at all encouraging when the Captain tells you that you're 18th in line... ???...

Assuming that it all goes well...We'll be there by 9:30... ... and we will ride the mini monorail that always lets you know you're almost there and is a precursor to the real monorail...

...and then assuming all goes well with the Magic Express we should get to the BEACH CLUB... in time to walk over and make our lunch at Via Napoli by 11:30... ( Keeping fingers crossed and sprinkling the )

And so the fun begins in ernest...

Thurs. Nov. 29 -

Park: Epcot
Lunch: Via Napoli (Backup-Rose and Crown)
Dinner: Blue Zoo`

Fri. Nov. 30-

Park: Disney Studios
Lunch: Sci Fi (David loves, loves, loves it here...really for the seating and movies...)
Dinner: probably CS, not sure about dining- I don't want to commit to a sit down dinner because WE MUST SEE FANTASMIC this time... && The Osbourne Lights ...

Sat. Dec. 1-

Park: Animal Kingdom
Lunch: Yak & Yeti
Dinner: Yachtsmen

Sun Dec. 2-

Park: Magic Kingdom
Lunch: CS at Be Our Guest
Dinner: Raglan Road

(Be Our Guest is opening to previews...starting on November 18th- It's Table Service for Dinner ... we didn't get those but I'm thrilled to go for Counter Service...I can't wait to see the inside of the restaurant...

Also I'm pretty excited that even though the new portions of Fantasyland don't officially open until December 6th..., I'm thinking if the Restaurant will be previewing...HOPEFULLY...so will the rest of Fantasyland!!!

Mon Dec. 3

Park: Hmmm...either the MK or Epcot, depending on where we want/need more time...
Lunch: Grand Floridian Cafe...

(This last day is the one I have to give the most thought to...If we do everything we want at the MK the day before... this may become an Epcot day since we only have a half day there... and then I have to rethink lunch... hmmm....think, think, think...)

maybe I should change our lunch ressies for the last day in case we don't make Via Napoli on our arrival day...hmmm...ok...I have to sleep on this...

Anyhow...

I also have to make sure I get my adult beverages in... at the Cava- a Margarita for sure, I'm not sure what to have at the Tune In Lounge at the Studios or Dawa at AK but I'm open for suggestions...

We will also definitely be checking out the Holiday Decorations at the Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club...I'm counting on them to be lovely...

(We've been there at Christmas before but we stayed at the AKL so we saw all the decorations there and at the hotels on the Monorail... but we didn't make it over to the Boardwalk area so I can't wait...)

(To Be Continued)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #33
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

I am living proof of the fact that Philadelphia has international flights, I connected there a few times. And think that it is actually a very nice airport for that! It certainly beats IAD in Washington, DC!! I also really liked the food court they had there. Had some delicious Cesar Salad.

I can recommend the Lost on Safari at the Dawa Bar, don't remember what is in it, but it was very nice and refreshing! I also liked it that it was something unique to the bar.

I still have to manage to get a drink at Cava - Katharina and I had the best intentions on the last trip and did spend quite some time at Epcot, but just did not manage a drink. However, we did get a few drinks at Food & Wine and I guess that distracted us a little bit.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #34
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post

We have ressies for three restaurants we've never eaten at...

1. Yachtsman
2. Via Napoli
3. Bluezoo

YUM! You will need to take pictures of the "scenery" at Via for Emily. love love love Blue Zoo. Yachtsman is on my list but have never made it so will love to see what you think and very jealous about Gaston's as I think the chances of soft openings during our trip is slim to none. On well.

Rides

Good ride choices, Dumbo is on my Oct list! Ah the Osbourne lights, probably the biggest thing I am jealous of. I love all your threes!

Don't love the flight departure time but love getting into MCO that early. Are you doing DME? Assuming you are on time, you shouldn't have any issues making that ressie. Your daily plans look really good, makes sense not to committ to a sit down on your DHS night.

Loved seeing the pics of the kids over the years!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #35
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I am living proof of the fact that Philadelphia has international flights, I connected there a few times. And think that it is actually a very nice airport for that! It certainly beats IAD in Washington, DC!! I also really liked the food court they had there. Had some delicious Cesar Salad.

Yes the international terminal is quite nice...the several times I've used it I thought the food and shops were pretty good...the problems is largely that the flights going out of the domestic terminal are a bit hit or miss in having timely departures...but I have a feeling that that might be going common everywhere due to the increase in air traffic...

I can recommend the Lost on Safari at the Dawa Bar, don't remember what is in it, but it was very nice and refreshing! I also liked it that it was something unique to the bar.

If the drink is as fun as its name...its sure to be a winner...

I still have to manage to get a drink at Cava - Katharina and I had the best intentions on the last trip and did spend quite some time at Epcot, but just did not manage a drink. However, we did get a few drinks at Food & Wine and I guess that distracted us a little bit.
I really want that margarita from the Cava... I've also read good things about a Wine "Passport" that you can purchase for $20...it enables you to go to the wine bars in France, Germany and Italy and try 3- 2 oz pours (1/2 glasses) in each one... If there're still doing that I thought that sounded like fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
YUM! You will need to take pictures of the "scenery" at Via for Emily. love love love Blue Zoo. Yachtsman is on my list but have never made it so will love to see what you think and very jealous about Gaston's as I think the chances of soft openings during our trip is slim to none. On well.

Yes...well its not like you'll never be going again ...I'm sure you'll get there...

I think those ovens at Via look so fun...Remind me a little bit of this...

Took that at the Getty Villa in Malibu last summer. I think it must be nice to have a reconstructed Roman Villa built for you (it was a pretty awesome museum)

CAN'T wait for Bluezoo and have never been to Yachtsman so curious about that.

Rides

Good ride choices, Dumbo is on my Oct list! Ah the Osbourne lights, probably the biggest thing I am jealous of. I love all your threes!

I can't believe I missed the Osbourne lights... we were there in December for goodness sakes...but yes I can't wait...

Don't love the flight departure time but love getting into MCO that early. Are you doing DME? Assuming you are on time, you shouldn't have any issues making that ressie. Your daily plans look really good, makes sense not to committ to a sit down on your DHS night.

Yes I'm not in love with that early of a time...but especially with a shorter trip I wanted as much time on the first day as possible...

NO sit down dinner if it interferes with Fantasmic...I have a feeling we'll manage to find food...

Loved seeing the pics of the kids over the years!
It's like a slow moving movie... of them getting bigger...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #36
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Tomorrow, I am driving with Ems to Baltimore for what will hopefully be our last "1st look at a new college visit"...-oh please let this be the last... I'm really happy to be part of the process but this will be the 20th...yep...that's 2 0... Partly it's my own fault cause I have this crazy idea that you should visit someplace where you're going to spend four years...and she's still my baby and I want her to be at the best place for her... (and yes I'm more than a little neurotic...)

So while I am sitting here, nursing a head cold or allergies-not sure...
and
simultaneously watching Say Yes to the Dress -the Atlanta Version (Yes I know... it's not deeply intellectual but I need something light and frothy right now...)...

and
I'm contemplating such deep issues such as

Do I want a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe or just go to Kouzzina's for breakfast...

&

Is that wine passport that enables you to try three wines in France, Germany and Italy still available...

&

Should I get Via Napoli lunch ressies (instead of Grand Floridian Cafe) for our last day instead of the first in case the plane is late...and we could do Rose and Crown for lunch...

(only day I have two ressies for same meal...Via for 11:30 and R&C for 12:30...I'm going to cancel one soon...I'm leaning with canceling Via for the first day and move it to the last- I think we also need more Epcot time...and it gives us more wiggle room with arrival)...

I thought I'd do a quickish mini tr of our summer (2012) Road trip to Maine, Quebec and Cooperstown...

We've been to Maine before-mostly the very Southern part...Ogunquit, the Yorks, and Kennebunks and I really, really like it...the beaches are very natural-beautiful, definitely cold-(too cold for me at least to swim...) but great to walk on and get your feet wet...there are the lighthouses and most of all there is the lobster...This time we were stayed in Portland. I got many fewer beach pictures than in the past...but I did catch a lovely lighthouse...

This is David just really happy that he's going to get fed real food after being in the car for 6+ hours...

The LL Bean Boat...the outlets in Freeport were crazy...the parking lots were crazier than Christmas

Yep... I forgot the dramamine...nice coloring...don't you think?

YOU want me to do what with this...Seriously???

I'll have a lot more to say about Quebec in my next post...I thought it was really fascinating...totally French and totally Canadian- all at the same time...
Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #37
MEK
DIS Veteran

Have fun on your last college visit. That is until you go back to some during the "newly admitted" student days.

Thanks for posting your Maine pictures. I love Maine and I love that lighthouse. I forget the name, but I think it is the most photographed lighthouse in the world. Pretty cool. I think its the cool path that leads to and from it that makes it so special.

Love "Say Yes to the Dress" , but my all time fav is "What Not to Wear!" Yes, I secretly delight in finding people that really need some extra special attention from Stacy and Clinton.

I love your plans. I really enjoyed Blue Zoo and I heard the crab nachos there are amazing.

I so wish I was going to see the new Fantasyland and Be Our Guest, but I don't think its going to happen this trip.

Oh - I also love the trip down Disney's memory lane. I remember some of those photos from your last TR!

Looking forward to more plans. Oh - and I love the Cape May Cafe for breakfast. One of my favs.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #38
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Tomorrow, I am driving with Ems to Baltimore for what will hopefully be our last "1st look at a new college visit"...-oh please let this be the last... I'm really happy to be part of the process but this will be the 20th...yep...that's 2 0... Partly it's my own fault cause I have this crazy idea that you should visit someplace where you're going to spend four years...and she's still my baby and I want her to be at the best place for her... (and yes I'm more than a little neurotic...)

20??????????????????????? Holy cats.

Quote:
and
I'm contemplating such deep issues such as

Do I want a character breakfast at Cape May Cafe or just go to Kouzzina's for breakfast...

&

Is that wine passport that enables you to try three wines in France, Germany and Italy still available...

&

Should I get Via Napoli lunch ressies (instead of Grand Floridian Cafe) for our last day instead of the first in case the plane is late...and we could do Rose and Crown for lunch...

(only day I have two ressies for same meal...Via for 11:30 and R&C for 12:30...I'm going to cancel one soon...I'm leaning with canceling Via for the first day and move it to the last- I think we also need more Epcot time...and it gives us more wiggle room with arrival)...
Having done both breakfasts....I'd vote for Kouzzina. Cape may is fun and if the kids were little and into charaacters, great. But it's buffet food. Good, decent bufffet food mind you but the overall cost is high. Kouzzina.... Probably my favorite breakfast in the world, to date. YUM! And reasonable too!

Quote:
I'll have a lot more to say about Quebec in my next post...I thought it was really fascinating...totally French and totally Canadian- all at the same time...
fun fun pictures! I'd love to get up there someday. I have been to Quebec and just loved it. LOVED it. Was a work trip, would adore going there with Jeff on a couples trip.

For lunch? I might live on the edge and have double ressies...you'll know after arrival day and can cancel accordingly.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Katharina and I had a wonderful breakfast at Fresh (in the Dolphin) - delicious food!! They make wonderful pancake/omelettes/eggs as you order them. It is also much more affordable than Cape May.

Also, I think you definitely want more Epcot time. I found that being in walking distance from Epcot made me want to spend more time there. I also think for a short trip it will make it more relaxed if you don't spend so much time on busses!

Hope the College visit is successful! What is she planning to chose for her major?
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Kouzzinna for breakfast. I think we will have to give it a try!
We also had a really nice breakfast at Captian's Grill this past summer. Honestly, that place is never crowded.
Yes, Cape May is your typical breakfast buffet, but the characters are really cute and the food is good. It has such a nice variety. So there is something for everyone. Besides, it's Disney and I still love the characters.

We LOVE the R&C so I vote for keeping that lunch!

You know if the weather is a little cool, the pool will be practically deserted. The water will still be heated to 80 so David will be able to swim and enjoy the water no matter what! I guess the downside to cooler weather is the slide will be a little brrrrrrr!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #41
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Have fun on your last college visit. That is until you go back to some during the "newly admitted" student days.

Oh boy... can't wait... Seriously I am thrilled for her and proud... it just starts to all sound sort of similiar after a while... the info sessions... and then the tours and the super nervous parents asking some silly???s (and this is coming from a neurotic person...) "but no... the Dean and President are not going to be able to monitor your child to make sure there is no underage drinking going on-although that is the school's policy... you'd probably have better made sure that they have a good head on their shoulder because they are going to have personal freedom... and no one is going to make them start their homework either because they are 18, in college and supposed to be self motivated..." I don't mean to sound mean... but I do think that an 18-19 year old in college needs to have some self accountability... but then again I don't believe that 30 is the new 21 and that 50 is the new 30 either...

Thanks for posting your Maine pictures. I love Maine and I love that lighthouse. I forget the name, but I think it is the most photographed lighthouse in the world. Pretty cool. I think its the cool path that leads to and from it that makes it so special.

Cape Elizabeth- you have good eye/memory...

Love "Say Yes to the Dress" , but my all time fav is "What Not to Wear!" Yes, I secretly delight in finding people that really need some extra special attention from Stacy and Clinton.

I love, love "What Not to Wear"... I don't know if I would be horrified if I found them following me because of what if means... or if I'd be super excited ...I would so let them help me dress... I'm just not letting them cut off all my hair... I mean Stacy and Carmody get to keep theirs... Love that show though...(I used to think Stacy was the tough one but actually I'm starting to think its Clinton...

I love your plans. I really enjoyed Blue Zoo and I heard the crab nachos there are amazing.

... Can't wait

I so wish I was going to see the new Fantasyland and Be Our Guest, but I don't think its going to happen this trip.

Oh I think you still be good...

Oh - I also love the trip down Disney's memory lane. I remember some of those photos from your last TR!

Looking forward to more plans. Oh - and I love the Cape May Cafe for breakfast. One of my favs.
I'm glad to hear you liked the CMC.. I realize that we don't have any character meals... and since we're right there anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
20??????????????????????? Holy cats.

Umm yeah... we actually started sophomore year...that way we could incorporate visits into road trips and I'd have time to process the whole thing...

Having done both breakfasts....I'd vote for Kouzzina. Cape may is fun and if the kids were little and into charaacters, great. But it's buffet food. Good, decent bufffet food mind you but the overall cost is high. Kouzzina.... Probably my favorite breakfast in the world, to date. YUM! And reasonable too!

Def going to Kouzinna I've read the breakfast menu and it sounds fab...thinking about trying Cape May though too cause I'm a sucker for those characters in their different outfits... gonna see how David feels...

fun fun pictures! I'd love to get up there someday. I have been to Quebec and just loved it. LOVED it. Was a work trip, would adore going there with Jeff on a couples trip.

I really enjoyed Quebec... Want to go back with Eric for Winter Carnival... Think it would make a great long weekend getaway...

For lunch? I might live on the edge and have double ressies...you'll know after arrival day and can cancel accordingly.
Yeah and I decided to change our last day cause we really do need more Epcot time... so I made ressies at Via so we will prob do the pub on first day...
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #42
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Katharina and I had a wonderful breakfast at Fresh (in the Dolphin) - delicious food!! They make wonderful pancake/omelettes/eggs as you order them. It is also much more affordable than Cape May.

Thanks for the suggestion...I just think that's one of the nice things about the Beach Club...close to lots of restaurants...

Also, I think you definitely want more Epcot time. I found that being in walking distance from Epcot made me want to spend more time there. I also think for a short trip it will make it more relaxed if you don't spend so much time on busses!

Yes... I've already decided that the last day is an Epcot day...

Hope the College visit is successful! What is she planning to chose for her major?
She wants to probably major in Political Science and then do Law School or work in Public Policy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Kouzzinna for breakfast. I think we will have to give it a try!
We also had a really nice breakfast at Captian's Grill this past summer. Honestly, that place is never crowded.
Yes, Cape May is your typical breakfast buffet, but the characters are really cute and the food is good. It has such a nice variety. So there is something for everyone. Besides, it's Disney and I still love the characters.

Yes I really think that we are going to have to do that one morning...

We LOVE the R&C so I vote for keeping that lunch!

plus it gives us more wiggle room

You know if the weather is a little cool, the pool will be practically deserted. The water will still be heated to 80 so David will be able to swim and enjoy the water no matter what! I guess the downside to cooler weather is the slide will be a little brrrrrrr!
Oh he'll swim when his lips are blue... I'm the wimp...
Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Today is 72 Days Until pre Holiday Trip to Disney!!!

Continued...Road Trip...Quebec

So...we left Maine headed North towards Quebec and the ride was fairly uneventful until we reached the border crossing...(about 4-4 1/2 hours)

Now I don't know if it was just my imagination or the border crossing seems a little ... oh I don't know ... police like? - I'm guessing there was a time prior to 9/11 when it was pretty mellow but now the world's a different place...

and I didn't take any pictures because I had a feeling that would be frowned upon and I'm sure there were cameras and I really didn't want to be stopped...

The border crossing agent (Is that the official name? ) checked out all of our passports and seemed particularly interested in what kind of work Eric did... I don't know did he (Eric) seem suspicious...? Maybe he actually has a secret identity and is stealthier than I give him credit for...

Anyhow we were passed along... and we did see Tim Horton's on the road ...which I think are kind of like Canadian Dunkin Donuts???... not 100% sure but we didn't stop... not even for coffee because we were just tired and anxious to get there...

It was probably a little over an hour from crossing the border when we got there...

We stopped for lunch in a great little bistro outside the fortified walls of the city...Bistro Les Bossus...since it was 3pm we were the only ones there... but no matter we had fun trying out our French on the Waiter...Ems was perfect and David (who has much less vocabulary but a great accent-his ability to imitate all accents is uncanny...he does a great Scottish accent...) was pretty good too..., I wasn't too bad and Eric managed...:-) I don't remember now exactly what we had but I remember it was very good...there was salad and steak frites and I believe someone had profiteroles for dessert...we were so hungry and it was all really good I'm afraid we inhaled everything including a couple glasses of wine...This place really reminded me of some of the little bistros in Paris...(We actually had some great food in Quebec ... I don't think we ate badly once...in four days...)

We put the GPS on and pushed on to our hotel...it was a little nerve wracking since many of the streets are little and curvy and hilly... and we didn't know exactly where we were going... We were staying at the Hotel Le Germain-Dominion in the lower town...the hotel was originally a bank...the street it was on was a financial street back 100 years ago...and many of the buildings were converted. It was really lovely....unfortunately I forgot to get many photos in the lobby...there was a really lovely continental breakfast there in the mornings and joy of joys an espresso/cappucino maker that was on all day... ... Emily was slightly horrified because our room had a shower that had a window with blinds that opened in the bedroom...(which I don't get since it was a double double room...?) and I think she was nervous that her brother was going to prank her and open them while she was in the shower... but not only didn't he... I'm not even sure he was even paying attention that it was there since he is always more into the mini bar and what is on the tv... There was a great little fountain right out front about 100 feet away from the front door....

Last edited by PracPerfPatricia; 09-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
MEK
DIS Veteran

I have been really lucky on the college tours - no crazy parents asking a million questions. Not sure how I have been lucking out, but I have.

I really want to visit Canada. I haven't been there for quite awhile and I want to go back.

Really cute pics of Em! Love this one.....

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #45
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quebec Continued...

Most of the "tourist sites" in Quebec City are fairly concentrated and walkable ...

Our hotel was in the lower town and about a 5 minute walk from the Place Royale which is considered to be the birthplace of French America... in the 17th and 18th century there was market here and there is a lovely little church on one side along with a great little museum with a film and some exhibits on Quebec's founding...

Right around the corner before we got to this mural that contains pictures of some famous Quebecois...

Then the Place Royale...

Oddly enough there is no Le Cellier on the map???

Hmmm...Maybe they forgot to put it on... I'll bet if there was one here it would be easier to get into than the one in Epcot...

Charming street with a few really great shops...

To get to the Upper Town, you can either walk up-or down if you're coming to the Lower Town something called the "L'Escalier du Casse-Cou or the "Breakneck Stairs" or take the Funiculaire.... We decided to save the stairs for another day...

These are the tracks it rides on... It looks like a large glass elevator going down sideways...

Which takes us to the Upper Town, the Chateau Frontenac and the Place Dufferin....

This kiosk is like the ones in Paris- a little smaller...there's a poster for a great Samurai exhibit we saw...

It was very charming... I can't say that it reminded me of Paris but it was quite definitely French in feel, like I imagine a small city in Normandy would be...

I definitely intend to go back...I think during Winter Carnivale ...

I think the history of the City is really fascinating... when it was originally settled over 400 years ago at this point, somewhere along the way one of the French King's decided that to populate his "New France" he would need to send women over so the men that went first could claim wives... "Daughters of the King" were sent over... and many of these ladies were most certainly not Daughters of the King... but it was a fresh start for many of them...

There is a really fun mystery series set in the province of Quebec mainly Montreal and a little town in the countryside but the fourth in the series, "Bury Your Dead" takes place in Quebec City. The main character is a Chief Inspector Armand Gamache -he is very likeable. The author is Louise Penny.

Anyhow...

We drove about 15 minutes from the City to a little Island called the Ile D'Orleans...the main attraction of this lovely little Island (for us at least) was the apples the grow there or more importantly the Cider (alcoholic) that they make with them...

The Island itself is picturesque and full of vineyards and cideries... we stopped a couple of times and did some tastings, had lunch, etc. And there is something even better than cider and that would be the ice cider... which is kind of equivalent to ice wine. Ice cider is absolutely wonderful as an after or before dinner drink but you have to be careful because it just tastes like the most wonderful concentrated apple juice you have ever had...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: