Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
[Anyway the experience did teach me that you really can't control anyone else's behavior just your reaction to it and learn to breath deeply...
I learned that lesson oh so well with my June trip. You missed out on all that pre trip saga, but at one point my brother was literally going to stay home. He had refused to go.

So, I agree that you can't control anyone's behavior and sometimes planning a trip for other people is just NOT meant to be.

Quote:
I started lurking around the boards again about six months ago and realized how much fun and support was always here in addition to it just being a really positive place with lots of lovely upbeat people who all have a disturbingly intense interest in all things Disney and are quite possibly addicted to Disney...
"disturbingly intense" I love that description. It's so true! I love the TR boards because I have met some of the nicest people from here. People that live literally across the country (Cynthia eandesmom) and people that live practically in my backyard (Captain Oblivious) and people at many points in between. I never would have had the chance to know any of these people if I had not starting visiting the TR boards. And knowing them has enriched my life and made me step outside of my comfort zone.

Quote:
I missed everyone very much and am really glad to be back...

I know I am not alone when I say that I am very glad to see you back!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Doing some Dising while eating my leftover Chinese takeout for lunch...I don't know why but sometimes I prefer the leftovers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Oh Patricia, I am so sorry. Herding cats is just plain exhausting, hopefully teenagers were better at Universal. Sounds like a decent replacement, if not the trip your dreams were made of. I'm facing a semi similar boat and struggling with the question of trying to force something to happen or to just walk away and see if anyone else picks up the ball.

The kids were actually really good and pretty funny...You know how teenagers sometimes forget you're there and come out with great stuff... ...They really were/are great kids...

Good luck with your dilemma ... I think sometimes everyone get really used to the responsible one carrying the ball...they forget/don't realize what's involved...

Probably email a moderator? I've never done it though...I'd love to read about that trip though!

I'm going to try to do that I think when I've got a solid grip on this...it would be therapy for me-I hate it sitting uncompleted in cyber world...(MY ocd is coming out) and also I do like to finish them cause I really have gotten some fabulous trip ideas from others reports and I'd like to pass it forward...

Oh whine away. I'm a big fan of the good, bad and the ugly. It's not all sunshine and ponies out there, as much as we wish it was! I am very very glad you are back and can very much understand the desire to be away for a bit and regroup.

Thanks...for the permission to whine sometimes... I remember reading somewhere that elephants-I think- go off to die on their own... and sometimes instead of looking or asking for support /comfort I can have a tendency to go into my head... I'm working on it...

Love love love that picture of Emily! I can't wait to hear about DLR, Cali, Quebec, all your adventures AND your upcoming trip! Fun stuff
I think its pretty cute photo...ummm she's not down with it 100%...something about her not looking right...hair...something...Seriously? Can you hear that? that's the tiniest violin in the world... She's a bit hard on herself...shall we say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Like Cynthia said, that is a beautiful picture of Emily! I want to read about it all! We all know that life isn't perfect and we have to accept the good and the, well, not so magical times....
Sad but true, the drama can make for really good reading.
Thanks... Do you know what else is kind of cute/funny about that photo? It's front of the Chateau Frontenanc in Quebec and I believe that that's the building the Imagineers chose to anchor the Canadian pavilion in Epcot...the thing that's funny is that when I was looking at some of my travel photos this weekend, I realized that every place I've been outside of the country...is in World Showcase! England-mostly London, France-mostly-Paris, Italy-Venice and Florence and Canada...I'm thinking I should do a photo comparison... Maybe it's a conspiracy...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #18
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I have a feeling that David and Connor are kindred spirits.

Have you read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern? Perfect, perfect, perfect fall/Halloween read! It is one of my favorite books I have read in a long time.

I am so sorry to hear about the trip not panning out -- I know that feeling. Like Cynthia said, it is hard to plan with extended family.

Great pictures of Emily and David!
Yes not only do Connor and David seem to have similar interests but definitely the humor-the way Connor plays the straight man to Chelsea-very much like David and Emily...

Writing down Night Circus right now...saw you recommend the Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson to LL I think,... have to check that out as well...love my phone...It's so easy to just type up all kinds lists-especially book lists...

Yes it is VERY hard to plan with extended family but I really have to learn to just let some of it go... It isn't worth the stress....(That's today's sage statement -we'll see if it holds up next time around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I learned that lesson oh so well with my June trip. You missed out on all that pre trip saga, but at one point my brother was literally going to stay home. He had refused to go.

Yeah that's pretty stressful and then you feel like this...

So, I agree that you can't control anyone's behavior and sometimes planning a trip for other people is just NOT meant to be.

So true... deep breathing...

"disturbingly intense" I love that description. It's so true! I love the TR boards because I have met some of the nicest people from here. People that live literally across the country (Cynthia eandesmom) and people that live practically in my backyard (Captain Oblivious) and people at many points in between. I never would have had the chance to know any of these people if I had not starting visiting the TR boards. And knowing them has enriched my life and made me step outside of my comfort zone.

I wholeheartedly agree... there really some very lovely people here and how cool is it to get to know people from all over the country???

I know I am not alone when I say that I am very glad to see you back!

Thanks so much......
Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Hmmm...So How Did this Trip Get Planned? Why isn't Alice Going? & What Will We Do Without Her?

How Did this Trip Get Started?

Well it all began last fall (2011). We had just barely finished our California/Disneyland trip (August) when I mentioned to Eric that we hadn't been to Disney for a while...

Me: "Hmmm...you know honey-we haven't been to Disney in a while" (kind of smiling and batting my eyelashes...)

Him: "Are you kidding me-we just got back from California and we had 3 days at Disneyland and last year (2010) we went to Disneyland Paris!"

Me: "But Disneyland Paris was really just a daytrip and Disneyland was awesome but it's still different..."

Him: "Seriously? Is this a joke?"

Me: "No...Disneyland made me want to go..."

Him: "OMG"...

Well now really he's pretty into Disney too, but for a variety of reasons he wasn't sure...but what we decided was during Spring Break of 2012 (March) we would combine some Disney with some College Road Trip... There were some Southern Schools that Em wanted to see...UVA, UNC, Emory, so we would drive down stopping in Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia before heading to Florida... the Disney deal was that since we would have a car we'd also go to the Space Center (David needs to go there-his words) and try one of the Value Resorts - probably Pop Century. So that was the plan.

Well...

Unfortunately my mom got sick and then very sick and her spirits were very low. She needed to move, she needed surgery and treatments. A lot was happening. (She is as of now, (the present) doing much better...).

So spring break was out. I was able to get Ems to her college visits but a full fledged trip couldn't happen for the obvious reason. The spring went by, things got better and we decided to take a road trip to cooler climes this past summer (2012) and went north to Maine, Quebec and hit Cooperstown on the way back home.

Then the DVC talk began and to make a long story short...we purchased them at the end of the summer-there were points left for this year and we needed to figure out what we were going to do with them.

Why Isn't Alice Going?

Alice has been going to Disney World since she was 3 1/2 and we stayed at Port Orleans- It wasn't divided yet...

(I think she thought the hotel pool was a ride/attraction...)

When she was six, Eric had a work conference at the Boardwalk so she and I went along...

At this point, what she really wanted was her own White Rabbit, a brother or sister to really hug ( and so did her mom and dad) and when we went back the next time when she was 8, she had her own brother, David to hug...

and now 3 became 4...

And everytrip to Disney since then, Alice, White Rabbit, Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter were a team...

Last edited by PracPerfPatricia; 09-10-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Continued...

And the trips, and the fun and the memories continued to grow...

& so did Alice and Rabbit

Alice and Rabbit were 11 and 4 in 2006

& When Alice was 12 we celebrated Rabbit's 5th Birthday... in 2007

Wow was he blissed out...I really miss that Character Meal at the Liberty Tree Tavern... The food was ok but the Characters in their Colonial Constumes were Awesome!

& It's a funny thing-when you feed children and take care of them they just keep growing...

Alice was 14 and Rabbit 7 in 2009

So with all of this fun and amazingly good times, why isn't Alice coming on this trip?

Simply, she is growing up and has a lot of work-a lot, a lot of work, (6 classes- 4 APs, tons of activities with leadership roles, colleges apps to fill out, tons of commitments for school this upcoming term... Additionally, she has a lot of great relationships with friends and an awesome boyfriend... ... She's trying to balance a lot of things all at once- You know work and family balance. For this trip she isn't coming and actually ...

I'm Ok with it... I'd like her to always be with us but I know she's growing up and I'm proud of her and her choices to date and I know next year at this time she'll really be away...at college...

But...it's going to be ok... because even though somethings are changing...some things never will and she'll always be with is in spirit even if she's not in body...(Plus I know we have two big trips next year that she will be coming with us...)

Also I realized she had 7 years with Eric and I alone before David came along...and it might be nice for three of us to have a trip...

(And yes I've had lots of time to adjust and deal with all of these upcoming changes...so I'm a lot cooler with it at this point... )

So now what kind of trip should the White Rabbit, Chessie and Mad Hatter do without Alice...

Well I've given it a lot of thought- (no big surprise)...This is going to be a trip of 3's

3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

Last edited by PracPerfPatricia; 09-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

A Trip of Threes or Three Is a Magic Number!

I used to love School House Rock when I was a kid... The 5 minute bits covered history, grammar, science and math... and the Number 3

"Three is a magic number,
Yes it is, it's a magic number..."

I want to make sure on this trip, we do all kinds of things that forever reason, we haven't done before...

Dining

We have ressies for three restaurants we've never eaten at...

1. Yachtsman
2. Via Napoli
3. Bluezoo

(kk-I'm stretching here because we also have ressies for Raglan Road and I'm hoping we can go to Gaston's for CS for lunch-it's supposed to be in previews when we're there...they're taking dinner ressies-it's sit down for dinner-but no luck with that...

Rides

I'm not a super wimp-and I've ridden most of the thrill roads but I still need to ride

1. RocknRoller Coaster
2. Mission Space

(I've done Everest and I did Californian Screamin in DL last year so it's time to give RnR a go...

3. Fantasyland is supposed to be in previews while we're there- and at the very minimum there is the new Dumbo.

Attractions/Seasonal Things we haven't Done-that we will be doing...

1. Osbourne Lights-

I have no idea how it happened-we were there in December and we missed this.

2. Fantasmic-

Seriously this is just sad-we've obviously been there enough times to have caught it-this time we are there.

3.The Cars Stunt Show- Lights, Motors, Action!

Adult Beverages

Not that I'm a big drinker but I enjoy an adult beverage now and then...
I actually have the bars...picked out... but not the drinks...(suggestions always taken...)

1. The Cava in Mexico- heard great things about the Avocado Margarita
2. The Tune-In (or is it out... Lounge in the Studios attached to 50s PrimeTime
3. The Dawa Bar in AK-I've always missed this-but not this time

& Lastly although I know I'll be adding more threes...

I am getting to do one of the Three most desired things on my Disney Bucket List

1. Stay at the Beach Club Villas...
2. Go to the Halloween Party
3. Get in shape so I can run the Half Marathon at Disney, ok maybe the 10 mile if they still have it...

(There's more of them-but those are the most immediate...

So-I'm in the process of Developing More Threes but

Three is the Magic Number for this trip...

& It starts

80 DAYS

from today...

Last edited by PracPerfPatricia; 09-10-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #22
TMGosizk
Mouseketeer

I'm new here to the DISboards and just read your PTR so far!! Can't wait to read more about your upcoming trip!!!

I'll Have a New Ticker Soon!

My First TR (in progress): Forget the Plans, We'll Just Play It By EAR!
First PTR:Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'Till Morning...to Disney World! Sep2013
TMGosizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #23
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh!! I haven't been on Dis in MONTHS, and I come back just in time for this!! It must be good karma! Like the others said, you have been missed!!

Congrats in the new trip plans! I think you, DH and DS will have a fabulous time! I can't even believe how beautiful Alice is! And so many fabulous choices for college! She has a bright future ahead of her!

You will LOVE (I hope) Via and Bluezoo! The Cave is fabulous as well!

Welcome back!!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #24
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Hi there, so good to "see" you again! I'm looking forward to reading about your trip plans and I hope you'll tell here or on the old TR about DLRP.

nodnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #25
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Ah, I love all the pictures of your two darlings on past trips! So sweet!

You're right -- they just keep growing! I feel that way about mine!

Em does sound like she is super busy, and like you said, it will be nice to have a trip with just David -- lots of great memories to be had.

Your list of 3's sound great -- so many fun, new things to do!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #26
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

This is wonderful start to your PTR! I loved seeing all the pictures of the kids growing up.

I am very sorry to hear about the stressful times you have been through, I hope that the future will be much less stressful!

I like your plans so far. If you want to brave RnRC for the first time, I would suggest that you ask for one of the Limo's towards the front of the train, it can get a little bit bumpy in the back and I think for a first ride, smoother is better! I guess you did not go on Space Mountain at DLP? If you did, then RnRC is less intense than the Paris Space MOuntain!

I really hope that you will be able to finish telling us about Paris, I would love to hear what you thought! I just was there twice this year, once in the spring with friends and then this August I did a solo trip to Paris and since I got an AP in the spring I managed to sneak out to DLP for 1.5 days. They have spruced up the park a lot for the 20th anniversary (it still needs a lot of paint though) and have added a wonderful nighttime show... If this continues to run daily even in the low season, I can see myself making use of the AP for another trip in early 2013...

Usually you can get a thread reopened by sending a PM to one of the moderators. But I am not sure whether they will do it if the PTR was for a date that is in the past now.
Disneyland 1992, 2005, 2014 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, 2013 AKV Jambo, 2014 SSR Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder, 2014 Fantasy
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

My turn to follow your link So good to catch up with you.... sorry for the plans that fell through and the stresses and funk you were in.

Your kiddos are so grown! You're so right about being OK with Emily staying behind. My 17yr old won't be with us this trip for much of the same reasons. Your trip of threes sounds great so far. Anxious to hear more, and details of DLP.
Mickey_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
You are going to love the location of Beach Club! I hope the weather is good for swimming because the pool is so much fun!!! We stray from home and stay at other resorts from time to time, but every time we walk into the Beach Club we feel like we have truly come home....
I AM SO EXCITED TO STAY AT THE BEACH CLUB... Also since this is going to be a short trip & we won't have time to do a waterpark- I'm going to try to pass that awesome looking pool off to David as a "mini waterpark"... We'll see- he's pretty smart so I don't think he'll buy it totally; but I do think he'll be pretty excited when he sees it...(Eric and I tried to keep him distracted a couple years ago when we went to Beaches and Cream so he wouldn't ask if we could swim there...) I really am keeping my fingers crossed for swimming weather mostly for Eric and I because David's pretty diehard with swimming, he's on a couple of swim teams and has had to swim in some pretty cold water I'm guessing he's going in no matter what...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMGosizk View Post
I'm new here to the DISboards and just read your PTR so far!! Can't wait to read more about your upcoming trip!!!
Hey TM ... ... You'll love the boards...there are some awesome people, you can share your love of all things Disney and everyone gets it and you can learn all kinds of stuff for your own trips...

I can't wait to read more about my upcoming trip either... I should do an update...maybe later today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Oh my gosh!! I haven't been on Dis in MONTHS, and I come back just in time for this!! It must be good karma! Like the others said, you have been missed!!

Hey Melissa I'm glad you're back and I'm back too! I feel honored that you've come over to read now that you're busy running around christening cruise ships and all of that...

Congrats in the new trip plans! I think you, DH and DS will have a fabulous time! I can't even believe how beautiful Alice is! And so many fabulous choices for college! She has a bright future ahead of her!

Thanks we are really looking forward to having an awesome trip...Yes I have to agree that Alice cleans up pretty well, and the nice thing is that the inside matches the outside... . We think she has a bright future ahead of her too... Hmmm...ok you've convinced me to keep her...

You will LOVE (I hope) Via and Bluezoo! The Cave is fabulous as well!

I am really looking forward to Via Napoli (yum)... and Bluezoo (yum yum)- never been inside the Swolphin (or is it Swalphin...hmmm...Swan-Dolphin) either and that should be really interesting...

Am dying to check out the Cave-I've read about those Margaritas and can't wait to try one myself...

Welcome back!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
Hi there, so good to "see" you again! I'm looking forward to reading about your trip plans and I hope you'll tell here or on the old TR about DLRP.
Hey nodnol... It's really good to "see" you too ... a great big across the Atlantic... DLP was really so much fun...the same but so different at the same time...I'd love to finish writing about it...(and Paris was pretty amazing too...
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Ah, I love all the pictures of your two darlings on past trips! So sweet!

You're right -- they just keep growing! I feel that way about mine!

Em does sound like she is super busy, and like you said, it will be nice to have a trip with just David -- lots of great memories to be had.

Your list of 3's sound great -- so many fun, new things to do!
Thanks... ...It's amazing to being to look back at those photos and have those memories...

I know...they do keep growing...should we stop feeing them?... (Honestly- I think Em is pretty well done at this point...she'll be 18 soon and we haven't seen much-if any growth over the past year...she insists that she's 5'5" but I think she's stretching it a half an inch......I'm in no hurry for them to get older but it will be fun to see when David gets taller someday...

David's a pretty good traveling companion and we're definitely going to do some special stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
This is wonderful start to your PTR! I loved seeing all the pictures of the kids growing up.

I am very sorry to hear about the stressful times you have been through, I hope that the future will be much less stressful!

Thanks...... we all go through more and less stress at different times...I'm hoping that there are smooth roads ahead but also that I've hopefully learned to deal with it more gracefully...and learned that you can't control other people's behavior but only your reaction to it...

I like your plans so far. If you want to brave RnRC for the first time, I would suggest that you ask for one of the Limo's towards the front of the train, it can get a little bit bumpy in the back and I think for a first ride, smoother is better! I guess you did not go on Space Mountain at DLP? If you did, then RnRC is less intense than the Paris Space MOuntain!

We didn't get a chance to ride SM at DLP- I saw it-very cool theming...Jules Verne like I think?...I have ridden all the other coasters...EE, SM at DWD, California Screamin at DL ... for some reason... I just haven't done this before... but David is a coast fiend so we will def try to go toward the front...

I really hope that you will be able to finish telling us about Paris, I would love to hear what you thought! I just was there twice this year, once in the spring with friends and then this August I did a solo trip to Paris and since I got an AP in the spring I managed to sneak out to DLP for 1.5 days. They have spruced up the park a lot for the 20th anniversary (it still needs a lot of paint though) and have added a wonderful nighttime show... If this continues to run daily even in the low season, I can see myself making use of the AP for another trip in early 2013...

Love Paris... we had an awesome trip and did so many fabulous things...I'd go back in a heartbeat...We had a really good time during our day at DLP- Their Fantasyland really is beautiful and its interesting to me how the parks can be the same and yet so different at the same time... Oh you should totally go back in 2013...you already have the AP...(I am always happy to help Dis-enable...

Usually you can get a thread reopened by sending a PM to one of the moderators. But I am not sure whether they will do it if the PTR was for a date that is in the past now.
Yeah...I'm going to have to figure that one out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
My turn to follow your link So good to catch up with you.... sorry for the plans that fell through and the stresses and funk you were in.

Hey Tracy...it's all good now... I've been working on my deep breathing... I really enjoyed your TR... and two Halloween parties ...... teeny bit jealous about that... I have Halloween Party envy in a big way...

Your kiddos are so grown! You're so right about being OK with Emily staying behind. My 17yr old won't be with us this trip for much of the same reasons. Your trip of threes sounds great so far. Anxious to hear more, and details of DLP.
Yeah... they really are growing/grown... Emily's schedule would bring me to my knees...(seriously...) Yes I think the three of us is going to be great...like Mickey, Donald and Goofy or Huey, Duey and Louey or the Three Calbarellos and well I'm sure there are other Disney trios...::
Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #30
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

All of your plans sound great! I'm so glad you get to experience some of your bucket list items too! FUN FUN FUN!!!!

We've been to WDW many times and have NEVER seen Fantasmic either?! It's on our list for November though. I'm really hoping we don't come up with any excuses not to see it again.

I guess one nice way to think of ALICE not going is that 3 is cheaper then 4. It's amazing how that one extra person costs so much money. My DS turns 3 in December and that's why we're going in November, since he'll still be 2 everything will be free.

Anyway...... i look forward to reading more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: