Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
MommaGinger
Mouseketeer

Trip Insurance

Good Morning Everyone,

I am beginning to plan my next trip to WDW for next year (date is TBD). My question is about trip insurance. I have a daughter with medical issues and certainly wanted to purchase trip insurance because it is possible that we will wake up on the morning of our trip and not be able to go. I know most trip insurance plans have a pre-existing condition clause. Has anyone had any suggestions on insurance companies that might not consider pre-existing conditions into the mix? Thank you so much.
MommaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Mary976
DIS Veteran

We had a policy one time through Access America that covered pre-existing conditions (DD has several). The catch is that you had to buy the policy within two weeks of booking your trip or something like that. There was other fine print too, plus this was a couple of years ago, but I do think it is worth poking around online to see what you can find.

Good luck,
Mary
Mary976 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
MommaGinger
Mouseketeer

Thank you. I really wanted to look into one that someone else has tried and had some luck with. I have been looking online but find it all so confusing. I will certainly check Access America. Thank you again.
MommaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
pbrim
Mouseketeer

Take a look at www.*****************. You put in some basic stuff and it give you a list of providers with tools to help you compare. Most will cover pre-existing conditions if you buy within a short time of booking the trip, but they will vary quite a bit on when and for what reasons you can cancel. My 2009 trip was with a friend who has a number of medical issues and I was able to find a policy for a reasonable cost that would allow us to cancel the day of for any reason. Plus, if medical problems arose, there would be money to cover extra expenses, like reduced coverage for out-of-network providers and costs move flights up or back.

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
tinka-belle
DIS Veteran

Travelex also has some policies that cover pre-existing conditions if purchased within a few weeks of your trip deposit. Their coverage is pretty comprehensive and their claims department, should the need arise, is responsive.

Also, even policies that exclude pre-existing conditions have some definitions to consider. They are NOT all the same, but most I've seen say that if no treatments, changes in condition, doctor visits, or change in meds 60 or 90 days before the policy purchase the condition is not considered pre-existing for policy coverage. Read all these carefully, there can be exceptions. This is in place for people with chronic controlled conditions, may or may not apply to your situation.

Even if you call the insurance company to inquire they tend to give a vague answer since the claims dept. has the final say and they do not want to speculate.
tinka-belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: