Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #76
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

Snack credits & Food & Wine tasting @ Epcot

With Jeff heading off to sleep for a while to get over his headache, the rest of our group went shopping and exploring the countries. We first went to watch the film in France. It was cool and dark and I almost fell asleep. The film was beautiful, but on a full stomach it was almost too relaxing.

Billy found a music group to listen to in Morocco, while Dana and I went to do some serious shopping. After shopping through several countries we were parched. We started looking for something cold. We wandered into Japan and found Kabuki Cafe frozen treats to quench our dry mouths.

Kakigori - Strawberry, melon, cherry, tangerine or rainbow. Add special toppings: Sweet Milk, Sweet Strawberry or Sweet Cherry. $1 each - $3.50

These were very tasty. Dana got the rainbow. I got strawberry & tangerine only. It has been a long time since I had a snow cone (at home I only order sugar-free snow cones), and I really enjoyed this one. The flavors were strong.

We as continued to shop, we decided that we needed to use up some snack credits. We decided to get several snacks at the Food and Wine vendors and then share them so we could taste a variety.

Dana stopped at the Italy pavilion and picked up two items using snack credits.
Cannoli al Cioccolato (Chocolate-Covered Cannoli filled with Ricotta, Chocolate, and Candied Fruit). This was good, but not great.
Ravioli Di Formaggia all Emiliana (Baked Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Beef Bolognese Sauce, Parmesean Cheese, and Melted Mozzarella). This tasted good, but was served barely warm. This would have been much better if it had been hotter.

I stopped at China and picked up Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce and Pickled Vegetables.

This was good. The vegetables were crunchy and tart. The chicken was moist. I wish I had been hungrier, I would have eaten more of this.

I also picked up a vanilla cupcake from Karamelle-Kuche. I was very disappointed in this cupcake. The cupcake was dry and the icing too sweet. The caramel was chewy not the creamy caramel that I had hoped for. This was the worst cupcake of the trip.

Last edited by pugcrazy; 10-18-2012 at 02:34 PM.
pugcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #77
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

La Hacienda de San Angel

With the park cooling from rain, we headed to Mexico to check in for our dinner. We checked in at the podium outside and were given a buzzer and told that it would be about 15 minutes. We had a seat inside and waited and waited. After more than 20 minutes, I went up to the counter and inquired how much longer our wait would be. We had seen several people seated that had arrived after our party. It seems that our number for our buzzer had been lost!!! The hostess promptly had our party seated.

Our waitress Neli was busy with many tables, but she kept our glasses filled and paced our meal well. We placed our drink orders for 2 cokes, 1 tea & 1 diet coke with like. Our drinks arrived along with chips and salsa. The salsa was different than what we are accustomed to in Texas, but we liked it. The salsa was not as spicy as what we normally get.

This was a meal that I was nervous about. Coming from Texas we all eat Mexican and Tex-Mex on a regular basis. I was concerned that we would be disappointed with this meal. (I had nothing to worry about! )

We all ordered the same appetizer. The Taquiza. Jeff says that this was the best appetizer of the trip.

aquiza - Taco trio featuring rib eye taco with chipotle salsa, roasted chicken taco with salsa verde and Chilorio(marinated pork) taco. - $10.75
We all liked this. I did not care for the chicken taco, as my chicken was dry. Everyone else said their chicken was fine. I really enjoyed the pork taco. This appetizer was filling and could have been my meal.

For entrees, Jeff and I ordered the Parrillada.

Parrillada (serves 2 people) - "La Hacienda" Mixed grill offering flank steak, chicken al pastor, chorizo and vegetables, served with beans and fresh salsa. - $49.95

Again we did not really like the chicken very much. The flank steak and chorizo were good. The grilled corn was SOOO good. I was thankful that Jeff doesn't care much for veggies, because I got the corn to myself. We liked this dish, but we will likely try something new on our next visit.

Billy ordered the a Pork Ribeye.

Puerco en salsa de Ciruete- Grilled Pork Ribeye served with carrot puree, caramelized onions and plum sauce $26.50
This dish was declared very good.

Dana ordered the Braised Shortribs. The menu had been changed on this day.

Costillas en salsa de chile- Braised short ribs served with potato puree and chile de arbol sauce $26.50
Dana like this. It was spicy and tender.

I wish I had better notes on this meal.

As we were finishing our entrees the lights dimmed and it was time for Illuminations. This has never been my favorite evening entertainment, but watching the show from this setting was a fantastic experience. The globe is so close it felt like they were putting on the show just for us!

For dessert Dana ordered the sorbets- Corn, strawberry and Mango

These were all good. The corn was surprising and tasty.

Billy ordered the Empanadas

Empanada de Manzana - Puff pastry filled with sauteed caramel apples and vanilla bean ice cream with kahlua sauce - $7.95

I had planned to order the churros, but they were not on the menu. I meantioned to our waitress that I had wanted the churros and was having a hard time making up my mind. She told me no problem she would get me churros and ice cream.

This was exactly what I wanted. The churros were good, but the ice cream was WONDERFUL!

We all had a wonderful meal and enjoyed this venue for watching Illuminations. We will be returning to this restaurant for an evening meal.
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #78
dgagnon519
DVC member AKL since 2008

Love the reviews
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 8 nights
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - 2 nights
Old Key West - 2 nights
Art of Animatition - 1 night
2011- Calypso Cay (off property) - 5 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Baylake Tower - 1 night
Saratoga Springs - 3 nights
Boardwalk - 2 nights
2010 - Old Key West - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - 4 nights
2009 - Pop Century - 10 nights
2007 - All Star Music - 8 nights
dgagnon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #79
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

Cinderella's Castle

This was our last meal at Disney. We scheduled separate reservations so we could have a private meal with our spouse. Our reservations were for 10am & 10:15am. We arrived at 9:45 and it took a few minutes to get checked in. Then we were ushered into the waiting area.

Soon we had our turn taking photos with Cinderella. She was sweet and funny. After taking photos we waited to be called to go upstairs.

We were each seated next to a window.

It was nice to be able to look down on fantasy land. Our waiter brought us a plate of pastries.

The pastries would have been better if they were hot. The biscuit was okay, but a little dry. The cinnamon roll was good. The danish was very good.

We were offered wands and swords, but due to having already checked our luggage we declined. We enjoyed watching the children next to us waving their wands excitedly.

We placed our orders for our breakfast and were soon joined by Snow White.

Here is Billy with Snow White.

Jeff ordered the Traditional Breakfast minus the eggs.

Traditional Breakfast - scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and rosemary-lemon roasted potatoes
He stated that the potatoes were crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. They had a good flavor.

I ordered the stuffed french toast.

Cream Cheese-stuffed French Toast - drizzled with Cognac chocolate ganache served with bacon and fresh fruit
The description fails to mention that there are RAISINS in this! if you've read my other reviews you are aware that I HATE RAISINS! I was able to pick around these. This was very good, but very sweet. It did not really resemble french toast, but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed this, but I would likely choose something more savory next time.

Dana ordered the Traditional Breakfast.

She stated that it was good.

Billy ordered the steak.

Steak and Eggs - grilled filet mignon on a mild Chipotle-caramelized onion frittata served with our signature rosemary-lemon roasted potatoes .
He liked it, but did not give me any specifics on it.

As we ate we were visited by more Princesses.

We enjoyed the atmosphere and the Princesses. Eating in the Castle was something that I had looked forward to for a long time. I'm glad that we did it. I would like to try lunch or dinner here on another trip. It is not a must do meal, but the experience is well worth returning again.

Last edited by pugcrazy; 10-27-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #80
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

Snack credits

So we had only a few hours left before we were to be forced onto the Magical Express to return to the real world, and we still had MANY snack credits left. So we stopped on Main Street to purchase some treats to take home.

Red Velvet Cake Pop- This was very good.

Mickey Rice Crispy Treats- I gave these to DD19 & her boyfriend. I'm not sure if they were good or not.

Chocolate Cake Pop- DD19 liked this.

Chocolate covered pretzels. These disappeared quickly so I guess they were good. (They were very good, just the right combination of chocolate and crunch and salt. The DD19, her boyfriend, and I liked them very much. -jeff)

Chip & Dale cheese crackers. Not sure who ate these. (Me. They were better than Goldfish. I liked the smaller size of cracker and had a very nice cheddar flavor. -jeff)

Jeff likes these. He got several bags.

If you like flavored sugar these were good!

These are still in the pantry. (No they are not, I ate them the first week we were back. Nice tangy bbq flavor, but not a building heat like a jalepeno. -jeff)

Next up I will name our favorites.

Last edited by pugcrazy; 11-04-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: