Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Great start. Reading your EoS review is making me want to have one for lunch tomorrow, as I am spoiled to have one by my office here in San Antonio.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
ksromack
DIS Veteran

I've managed to book ourselves completely out of Earl of Sandwich. Well, actually we could go there but then we'd have to give up WPExpress....I've heard so many good things about both of those places that now I'm torn! Anyway, I've booked many of the places you did so I'm subbing for your report! I just decided this week to upgrade to the DxDDP (like you we received DDP free for our stay).
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I am in!! This sounds great!!! Great pics!!!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

9-22-12 Dinner at 50's Prime Time

With full tummies, we shopped at Downtown Disney until 4:30pm.

We then took a bus to The Swan and a boat to Hollywood Studios.

I checked our reservation information on my phone and found that our dinner reservation for 50's Prime Time Cafe was for 6:40pm.

We arrived at 6:30pm, and this is where things went wrong. It seems that when my phone changed time zones, it also changed all the ADR times in my calendar. So we were actually an hour late for our reservation. And Fantasmic was scheduled for 8pm not 9pm like my phone showed.

Luckily for me, the very nice lady at check in stated that they would be able to seat us anyway. We had to wait about 25 minutes and then we were seated.

Our waitress Kaydee was the best of our entire trip. Cousin Kaydee played her part perfectly. She was also VERY pregnant. She stated that she was due in two weeks. She teased Billy throughout the entire meal. Our table and the table beside us teased back and she really made the meal special.

For drinks Billy had sweet tea, Dana had a coke float (lots of ice cream), Jeff had a coke and I had unsweet tea and lots of Splenda. Jeff drank lots of coke and was presented a pitcher of coke with a straw.

For appetizers Jeff and Billy both ordered the Onion Rings.

Beer Battered Onion Rings - Served with horseradish sauce. - $7.99
These had a crisp batter. They were greasy but good. Billy liked the horseradish sauce, but Jeff and I preferred ketchup with our onion rings.

Dana ordered the Blue Crab Salad.

Uncle Gary's Blue Crab Salad- Avocado filled with lump blue crab, roasted corn and red bell pepper topped with crunchy crumb, spicy mayonnaise and tomato crackers - $8.99
This was tasty. We liked the avocado with the crab meat. It was lightly spicy.

I ordered the Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese served warm with raspberry sauce and toasted french bread. $7.99

It was good, but not as good as I had imagined it would be.

All the appetizers were good, but the only thing I would definitely order next time was the onion rings.

For our entrees we ordered:

Billy ordered the meatloaf.

Dad's Traditional Meatloaf - a blend of beef and pork topped with tomato glaze, mashed potatoes, and green beans $14.99
None of us really cared for the meatloaf. It wasn't bad, but it was our least favorite of the dishes.

Jeff ordered the sampler plate with only fries as his vegetable. He doesn't like green things.

Dana & I ordered the sample plate with no greens and extra mashed potatoes.

A Sampling of Mom's Favorite Recipes - Crispy-fried Chicken, Fork Tender Pot Roast, and Traditional Meatloaf with all the fixings $19.99

The fried chicken was very good. The Pot Roast was my favorite thing of the meal. (I will order the Pot Roast when next I return to 50's Prime Time.)
The green beans were cooked so that they still had a bit of crunch to them (not the way we cook them in the South, but I liked them). They had a slightly odd taste that I could not determine what it was. I was glad that I got the sampler to try all three dishes.

By the time we got to dessert we were all stuffed, but we still wanted something sweet.
Jeff ordered a chocolate milkshake, Billy ordered a chocolate malt, Dana ordered apple crisp and I ordered a chocolate and caramel sundae. All the desserts were good.

We missed Fantasmic on our first night, but we all really enjoyed this meal. 50's Prime Time remains a favorite.

Next up, The House Of Blues Gospel Brunch.

Last edited by pugcrazy; 10-02-2012 at 09:21 PM.
pugcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

vettegirl now I'm jealous. I wish we had an EoS nearby.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

I guess I should mention that Jeff & Dana acted as my photographers. I returned home with over 5000 pictures (not all of food). If I had been taking the pictures you might not be able to tell the entrees from the desserts.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
ohiopugmom
Earning My Ears

can't wait to read more - great pics! (although given your name, I may need to see a pug pic or two - lol)
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Earl of Sandwich is always a great way to start a vacation. (I'm excited that they are finally opening one near me... I won't have to travel to Vegas or WDW to have their yummy sandwiches!)

Other than the mediocre meatloaf - it sounds like a great dining experience. I wonder if they now serve the onion rings in the fry basket thingie. We didn't get that a month ago but I think it is a creative serving dish!

Looking forward to your HoB gospel brunch.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Excellent 50s PT review! Looks good!

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Great pics. We also don't care for the meatloaf and we even got it free at the bar one time. The people who ordered it left so they gave it to us. Even free it wasn't that good Love the fried chicken and the pot roast!! Looking forward to your next meal!!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopugmom View Post
can't wait to read more - great pics! (although given your name, I may need to see a pug pic or two - lol)

A Pug picture or two might sneak into my report. We have two pugs. One of which we rescued only one week before leaving for WDW. My "favorite child" Silk is 8 years old. He stayed at home with our daughter Brittany while we were on the trip, but he was not happy about it. He is very attached and doesn't like me out of sight. Our new pug is Louis. He is 4 years old and has totally bonded with my daughter. After a couple of weeks he is her dog through and through.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

Day 2 House of Blues Gospel Brunch

None of our gang had ever tried The House of Blues Gospel Brunch, and since we were missing church to visit WDW we decided to get our church and a good meal at The House of Blues. We purchased our tickets online prior to our 180th day. Tickets are $33.50 for Adults (10+ years of age). So the price of this meal for all 4 of us was $134.00.

It was nice to get to sleep in a little after our busy travel day. We hoped to get in some shopping before brunch, so we arrived at DTD Pleasure Island at 9:30am. Shopping was not to be as the shops did not open until 11am. However, we strolled along window shopping. Jeff took lots of photos for me.

We picked up our tickets at the ticket window (you need ID and the credit card on which you charged the tickets) and found a seat in the shade to wait for the concert hall to open.

The doors to the concert hall opened a few minutes after 10:30am. We were greeted and shown to our table (Table 21) near the stage. We were joined at the table by two nice ladies from Orlando who were trying HOB for the first time as well. There were 2 empty chairs at our table. The waitress explained where the different buffets were located and then we were free to go fix our plates. I started out trying to get a bite of everything, but soon realized that there was not enough room on my plate or in my stomach. There is a large variety of foods. (Sorry I did not get pictures of the buffet tables.)

Jeff started slow with a very small plate. He later went back and got a larger plate, but forgot to take a picture of his larger plate.

Billy and Dana filled plates as well (I have no idea who’s plate is who’s).

We got drinks of juice, cokes, and diet cokes. You could purchase Mimosas and Bloody Marys for $3.00. We did not indulge. We began our brunch and all quickly found things that we liked. The waffles were good. The Field Greens with Spiced Pecans with blue cheese crumbles and tomato shallot vinaigrette was very good. I did not care for the Broccoli Salad w/Crispy Bacon (I make this at home and like my version better). The bacon was thick cut and the guys declared it very good. ! Dana got a made to order omelet and said that it was very good. We didn’t care for the scrambled eggs, as they were just standard buffet style eggs and not as hot as we would have liked them to be. The Cooked Chilled Prawns with Cocktail Sauce were good, though I don’t enjoy peeling shrimp and then smelling of shrimp for the rest of my meal. The Roast Top Round of Beef and Honey Baked Ham were both tasty. I did not care for the Creole Chicken Jambalaya. This was made with a tomato base. I lived in Louisiana for 4 years and I prefer my Jambalaya made with a dark Roux instead of the tomato base. The taste was not bad, it just was not my preferred type of jambalaya. The Crispy Fried Catfish was good (could have been hotter and crispier, but it is a buffet after all). The tartar sauce was spicy and so good
The dessert bar offered Apple Cobbler (I’m not a fan of apple so I skipped this), White Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding (VERY GOOD), Key Lime Pie, Pecan Squares (okay, but nothing special), Chocolate Walnut Brownies, and Cheesecake (standard cheesecake that you could get at any cafeteria). The Key Lime Pie was good, but I make one that is better (I hope it will be the prize winning dessert at the Eagle Brand Milk Recipe Contest this year). I skipped getting a brownie when I went through the dessert buffet, because what could be special about a brownie? I was wrong! Dana got the brownie and insisted that I taste it. It didn’t look special, but it was packed full of chocolate flavor. It was cooked completely, but it still tasted gooey! The brownie and the bread pudding were the stars of the dessert bar.

I'm not sure what happened to my pictures of the desserts. I remember taking them, but I can't find them. However in 5000+ pictures I may have just over looked them.

The show started and we were soon clapping and singing with the singers. We really enjoyed the show. The songs were uplifting and upbeat. The musicians and singers were all very talented.

We all agreed that we would be willing to do this again. It was worth the money.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

great to see a HOB review - the Gospel Brunch has always been on my wishlist but I always lose the argument because the other three want to go to Mk on the first morning (Sunday) of our trip. One of these years though

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #29
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

HoB was very unusual for us too. We also usually go to MK on our first full day. This usually means Crystal Palace Breakfast with Pooh, but since this was an adults only trip we broke with tradition. I'm glad we did.

I'm already planning our next trip. Planning started on the plane on the way home. I would like to go on regular dining plan and only do restaurants that we have never visited. I expect to meet some resistance on this.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
pugcrazy
DIS Veteran

A few snack credits @ HS

While waiting on the afternoon parade, Dana and I finally were hungry enough to use a couple of snack credits.

I am blank on the name of the shop where we purchased these. it is near Starring Rolls. It is the shop with all the Villain's stuff. (Jeff has informed me that this shop is call The Beverly Sunset)

I really wanted to try this Carrot Cake Cookie. I hate raisins so it had me picking out golden raisins, but it was worth it.

Please forgive the bite out of the cookie. I was in a hurry to try it.

Dana chose the English toffee.

She stated this was very good.

Last edited by pugcrazy; 10-04-2012 at 07:19 PM.
pugcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: