Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
So strange. Ugh! They always have to make things so difficult for us. Silly Disney!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Tell me about it
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #32
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Mike, we'll be sorta neighbors arriving on the 6th (dinner time) to the All Star Movies......so a couple days together......wonder if we can meet up quickly on one of those days. Our Friday (the 7th is at AK, so done early) we're planning on Cape May for breakfast and then after leaving AK back to the resort......but we'd always be willing to take a side trip over to the Pop if you'd be there!! The other option is we don't have breakfast plans the morning of the 8th.....so if you're just eating at the Pop....we could join you then????
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #33
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Hey Mike,

I love both your shirt designs and countdown board... ... I can't wait to hear if/when the girls notice it... I've done the chain countdown but that board is cute...

I've done shirts before too... your designs are pretty awesome -they're lots of fun...

(Hmmm... do I want a shirt this trip... hmmmm.... thinking bout that...)

btw... a lot of those shows your girls watch are some of my guilty pleasure shows too... I love some of those Wedding shows... I like the Southern Say Yes to the Dress better than the New York one; don't know if I've caught the wedding cake show... but there was a great cake show that featured some really awesome Disney themed cakes... fun stuff...good to watch while Dising...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #34
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Mike, we'll be sorta neighbors arriving on the 6th (dinner time) to the All Star Movies......so a couple days together......wonder if we can meet up quickly on one of those days. Our Friday (the 7th is at AK, so done early) we're planning on Cape May for breakfast and then after leaving AK back to the resort......but we'd always be willing to take a side trip over to the Pop if you'd be there!! The other option is we don't have breakfast plans the morning of the 8th.....so if you're just eating at the Pop....we could join you then????
The 6th is the "girls choice" day so we literally don't know what we'll be doing. I do currently have ADRs at Teppan Edo for Roxy and PumpkinGirl if she decides that she wants another day of EPCOT like last time. And for Bean and I my best guess is that we'll be doing DHS and I don't know how late that will go.

On the 7th we have breakfast ADRs at a Crystal Palace for early entry to MK and dinner at favorite of mine, Liberty Tree Tavern.

The 8th sounds like the best bet, just planning on eating at POP for breakfast if your fam is up for meeting/eating there. Or we can meet at DTD if you want. The timeframe can be totally up to you guys as our schedule is open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Hey Mike,

I love both your shirt designs and countdown board... ... I can't wait to hear if/when the girls notice it... I've done the chain countdown but that board is cute...

I've done shirts before too... your designs are pretty awesome -they're lots of fun...

(Hmmm... do I want a shirt this trip... hmmmm.... thinking bout that...)

btw... a lot of those shows your girls watch are some of my guilty pleasure shows too... I love some of those Wedding shows... I like the Southern Say Yes to the Dress better than the New York one; don't know if I've caught the wedding cake show... but there was a great cake show that featured some really awesome Disney themed cakes... fun stuff...good to watch while Dising...
Howdy Patricia, thanks for stopping by! We've actually had a bit of a change of plans with the countdown. Roxy came up with this last night - we're actually going to do a Harry Potter theme. Both of the girls have done WDW/DLR a couple of times but have never done IOA/WWOHP and are REALLY looking forward to it.

So starting in mid-October we're going to start leaving costume props around the house. Harry Potter's glasses, a scarf, maybe a wand. If they ask about them we'll play dumb. And then 30 days out we're going to start leaving wallet-sized pictures showing scenes from the movies laying around the house - one per day.

The pics will have been cut from a master page that will have "NOV 29th" printed in a very large blocky font on the back. The end result will be a puzzle that they will put together to show that date. Once they've solved that we'll let the cat out of the bag

I'll post the master of it here once I have it together.

Yes, they love all of those wedding shows - I'm just glad they don't do the child beauty pagent shows, those creep me out I don't think that particular wedding cake show is still on, but there are always new ones coming out.
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

I love Roxy's new idea of leaving props around and then the puzzle

Very cool
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #36
DizNee Luver

Let's just plan on meeting at the POP for breakfast on the 8th. We'll be heading to Epcot that day and had originally planned eating breakfast at our resort......so this wouldn't be a big deal to move it over to your resort. This way at least I get to meet you and the family!!! Nothing like flying across the country to meet someone that lives about 3 hrs away!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #37
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post

Howdy Patricia, thanks for stopping by! We've actually had a bit of a change of plans with the countdown. Roxy came up with this last night - we're actually going to do a Harry Potter theme. Both of the girls have done WDW/DLR a couple of times but have never done IOA/WWOHP and are REALLY looking forward to it.

So starting in mid-October we're going to start leaving costume props around the house. Harry Potter's glasses, a scarf, maybe a wand. If they ask about them we'll play dumb. And then 30 days out we're going to start leaving wallet-sized pictures showing scenes from the movies laying around the house - one per day.

This is a brilliant fun idea... I want to see how long it takes them to figure something is up ...

The pics will have been cut from a master page that will have "NOV 29th" printed in a very large blocky font on the back. The end result will be a puzzle that they will put together to show that date. Once they've solved that we'll let the cat out of the bag

Awesome...

I'll post the master of it here once I have it together.

Yes please...

Yes, they love all of those wedding shows - I'm just glad they don't do the child beauty pagent shows, those creep me out I don't think that particular wedding cake show is still on, but there are always new ones coming out.
Yes I agree... my son saw an advertisement for Toddlers and Tiaras and he said it looked like child cruelty...
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #38
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Yes I agree... my son saw an advertisement for Toddlers and Tiaras and he said it looked like child cruelty...
Agreed, just so very wrong on so many levels.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #39
disney67
DIS Veteran

Really fun TR so far i love it all not to mention i will be there 11/28 to 12/4
for all this magical holiday fun , I love the T-shirt designs really cool and leaving little things around the house for the kids is a cool Idea , Ive tried keeping trips a secret 3 times and failed twice. hope to be able to say Hi while im there
Jeff

[IMG][/IMG]
disney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney67 View Post
Really fun TR so far i love it all not to mention i will be there 11/28 to 12/4
for all this magical holiday fun , I love the T-shirt designs really cool and leaving little things around the house for the kids is a cool Idea , Ive tried keeping trips a secret 3 times and failed twice. hope to be able to say Hi while im there
Jeff
Welcome Jeff and thank you for the compliment on my PTR & shirt designs! Very cool that you and yours will be there during the same timeframe as us. Will you be in any of the same parks as us on the same days? I'm still hopeful that we can keep the secret until at least 30 days out when we start laying out the "clues". We'll see how long it takes them to put it all together

How did it go for you the one time you were able to keep the secret? Were they excited/suprised?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #41
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Hello Everyone. Sorry for not having anything going on here for the past week. Monday at about 3am my mother-in-law started having breathing complications. She didn't want to go to the hospital but by 8am she had spiked a fever and although she was conscious she was no longer coherent. We tried to help her transfer to her HoveRound but she was unable to maintain focus or balance so we had to call 911

The fire and ambulance people were very helpful and professional (this is the third time they’ve had to come in the last 2 years). I can’t say enough good things about them. Roxy rode with mom to the hospital and I followed. In the emergency room she was diagnosed with an infection and borderline pneumonia and was admitted.

By early afternoon she had received IV antibiotics, fluids, and a couple of breathing treatments and her mental clarity had returned Roxy and I took turns staying with her while she was there. It has been a tough time as we had been working with her on a move into assisted living. She had been resistant off and on and was shaken by the reality of this latest medical situation.

She now recognizes the need to go into assisted living but it is a hard thing for her to face as we’ve been taking care of her for over 11 years to one degree or another and we’ve all lived together for that entire time. It has been hard on all of us, especially the girls who have had their Nana in their lives and home since they were 1 and 4yrs old respectively. It has been hard to balance being there for Nana, the girls, and each other for the past few weeks.

I personally hit a wall a couple of days ago and although I continued to be there when I was needed for everyone I completely lost the ability to think proactively about work or home or even my usual escape, Disney. I have been the one primarily there with mom as I have a bunch of leave time and my wife is the entire office for the company she works for and it is payroll week.

We were able to bring mom home Wednesday afternoon and I’ve been staying with her as she is still pretty weak but keeps trying to do things that could stress her. She wanted to make a nail appointment for today despite having a gurgling in her breathing. So I had to explain again that she needs to rest and keep up her breathing treatments while the antibiotics do their work for her.

For me today I’m at least past that “wall” and am mentally a lot more together. Just being able to share it here helps quite a bit. Being the only man in the household and focusing on being a stable presence amongst the emotional ups and downs has been a literal emotional roller coaster. And I’m needing some Rockin’ Roller Coaster!

On the trip I got a depressing phone call from our AAA travel agent. The first hop of our return flight from MCO to SLC has been “discontinued” So now we have to take an earlier flight back home and lose our leisurely last morning at POP. We’ll have to pack the night before and get our bags down and be on ME at 8am. This is an extra bummer as the only official DISMeet I had set up was with Laurie and her fam, who were going to go out of their way to come to POP and have breakfast with us. Don’t know if that will still happen given our early departure

The only upside is that it gets us home a bit earlier so we can unpack and relax a bit Saturday night and have all of Sunday do decompress. I’ll be taking Monday off and will do laundry and such so Roxy doesn’t have to deal with it.

That’s enough gloomy stuff, I have to run an errand and then I’ll be back to post the Harry Potter pics we are using and some more info about our trip!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #42
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Disney Holiday Firsts at Last! - New HP Countdown Clues

After talking with DW about the countdown calendar having been done a couple of times now and that although this is a WDW trip, one of the big things that will be happening is the girl's first trip to Universal Orlando and the WWoHP.

So I called upon the mighty beast that is Google Images and downloaded 30 Harry Potter images. I was going to add them to a Photoshop image and save it as a JPEG. But I got a case of the lazies and decided to just print them out using windows "print pictures" interface. When I got in there I saw that I could print out a contact sheet of 35 images.

So back to Google Images I went and found 5 more and then printed the result out of photo paper:

And here's the full size image:

Harry Potter Days

I've sent the image to DW, who is going to do word art on the back that will read:

NOV
29th

It will stretch the length and width of the page so some of the squares will probably be all black. We're still working on a numbering scheme that won't be obvious but will still clue them in when the go to put it together.

With 35 days worth to lay out we'll start dropping the clues on October 25th. So only 20 days out from the start point of it

Oh, and with the flight changes I'll be updating my itinerary post:

Saturday, December 8th – Travel Day :-[

- Take bags down and check out
- Breakfast at Everything POP Food Court
- ME to MCO at 8am
- Flight departs for SLC @ 11:15am
- Arrive at SLC @ 2:07pm
- Depart for MFR @ 5:10pm
- Arrive back in Medford at 6:09pm
- Pick up dogs from sitters
- Drive home & brace for the post-Disney blues
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #43
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Hello Everyone. Sorry for not having anything going on here for the past week. Monday at about 3am my mother-in-law started having breathing complications. She didn't want to go to the hospital but by 8am she had spiked a fever and although she was conscious she was no longer coherent. We tried to help her transfer to her HoveRound but she was unable to maintain focus or balance so we had to call 911

That's both scary and exhausting...-she was probably also dehydrated... my mom was (she's a bit better now) constantly dehydrated... I had to keep reminding her to drink...

The fire and ambulance people were very helpful and professional (this is the third time they’ve had to come in the last 2 years). I can’t say enough good things about them. Roxy rode with mom to the hospital and I followed. In the emergency room she was diagnosed with an infection and borderline pneumonia and was admitted.

so many of the people who do medical related jobs are so dedicated and good at what they do... glad the pneumonia was borderline and not full blown...

By early afternoon she had received IV antibiotics, fluids, and a couple of breathing treatments and her mental clarity had returned Roxy and I took turns staying with her while she was there. It has been a tough time as we had been working with her on a move into assisted living. She had been resistant off and on and was shaken by the reality of this latest medical situation.

She's really lucky to have you... and I don't think many people really go into AL totally willingly... I think they come to the realization that it's really something they should do...

She now recognizes the need to go into assisted living but it is a hard thing for her to face as we’ve been taking care of her for over 11 years to one degree or another and we’ve all lived together for that entire time. It has been hard on all of us, especially the girls who have had their Nana in their lives and home since they were 1 and 4yrs old respectively. It has been hard to balance being there for Nana, the girls, and each other for the past few weeks.

My oldest... my daughter had an especially difficult time with my mom getting sick... - your girl's Nana will still be in their lives just not in the house...

I personally hit a wall a couple of days ago and although I continued to be there when I was needed for everyone I completely lost the ability to think proactively about work or home or even my usual escape, Disney. I have been the one primarily there with mom as I have a bunch of leave time and my wife is the entire office for the company she works for and it is payroll week.

You hit a wall because you are human and it is physically and emotionally exhausting to take care of a sick parent...

We were able to bring mom home Wednesday afternoon and I’ve been staying with her as she is still pretty weak but keeps trying to do things that could stress her. She wanted to make a nail appointment for today despite having a gurgling in her breathing. So I had to explain again that she needs to rest and keep up her breathing treatments while the antibiotics do their work for her.

Gotta give her credit for wanting to look nice...

For me today I’m at least past that “wall” and am mentally a lot more together. Just being able to share it here helps quite a bit. Being the only man in the household and focusing on being a stable presence amongst the emotional ups and downs has been a literal emotional roller coaster. And I’m needing some Rockin’ Roller Coaster!

My husband is also very supportive... in fact he has been there for my mom way more than my own brother... but there are times when I see it wearing on him... you have to make sure you make time to plan fun stuff to look forward to...

On the trip I got a depressing phone call from our AAA travel agent. The first hop of our return flight from MCO to SLC has been “discontinued” So now we have to take an earlier flight back home and lose our leisurely last morning at POP. We’ll have to pack the night before and get our bags down and be on ME at 8am. This is an extra bummer as the only official DISMeet I had set up was with Laurie and her fam, who were going to go out of their way to come to POP and have breakfast with us. Don’t know if that will still happen given our early departure

Oh wow... that is really annoying... It's awesome you're getting to go and everything but you had been counting on that extra time... time to get the Travel Agent... I'm just kidding but its still annoying...

The only upside is that it gets us home a bit earlier so we can unpack and relax a bit Saturday night and have all of Sunday do decompress. I’ll be taking Monday off and will do laundry and such so Roxy doesn’t have to deal with it.

It's good to be able to put a positive spin on this kind of stuff...

That’s enough gloomy stuff, I have to run an errand and then I’ll be back to post the Harry Potter pics we are using and some more info about our trip!
Harry Potter....
Old 10-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #45
DizNee Luver

Mike, I'm so sorry about your MIL......it's so hard to see our parents get sick and unable to care for themselves. I lost 3 of my parents this year and seeing them frail and suffering was heartbreaking. I hope she gets to feeling better and the transition into an assisted living facility proves to be a positive for her!!

Well Booooooo on your flight being moved!! Goodness gracious....I was flying across the country to meet up with you and your family~~doesn't the airlines know that??? Who knows, maybe when time gets closer we can find another time.....possibly meet up for a dessert or something. I'll probably give you my cell # just in case we can "wing it".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: