Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
SkipperJ
Earning My Ears

I've been using Amazon. On some books I've saved as much as 50%, but in general I think it's about 30%. I think it mostly depends on the specific book the teacher decides to use.
SkipperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Also try bookfinder.com. It goes out and searches all the book seller websites for the best deal.

It might pay to get an Amazon Prime membership for all thoses "last minute" books (Free 2 day shipping on some books) and you get all the nice benefits of Prime membership.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
barbliny
Mouseketeer

My daughter is a junior in college - she is responsible for paying for her own books - so you can be sure that she spends the time to shop around to get the best deals!!

She primarily uses Amazon, Chegg, and her own college bookstore.

She is a science major so the books differ greatly from year to year - as others have said check those ISBN numbers carefully.

Her basic rule of thumb is to purchase books in her major, and rent (or sometimes buy and sell back) books outside of her major. Chegg is very easy to rent from and provides a return shipping label.

Many times technical books (science, math, finance, etc) come with workbooks and guides - these are often not included when buying from Amazon, etc. So, check carefully and in many cases it turns out to be cheaper to purchase 'the package' from the bookstore.

Most college bookstores have gotten wise to the fact that students purchase their textbooks elsewhere - and only buy back those texts purchased from the bookstore. In some cases it may be more advantageous to buy from the bookstore if you intend to sell them back.

It does take some legwork, but it is worth the effort.

Also, in regards to Amazon prime membership ...

After the initial 'free' year, student prime costs $39/yr. Student prime only comes with membership for one person and the only benefit is 2 day shipping.

However, we found out after wasting money last year on it - it was better for my husband to buy a regular prime membership for $79/yr. It allows him to invite 3 others to share the prime membership - so my daughter and I get free 2-day prime, and we all get access to prime eligible free video streaming (and e-reader books) - something that my daughter loves up at school. For us it was worth it since we were able to get rid of Netflix.
barbliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
kpauley
DIS Veteran

I like to use dealoz.com. This website searches multiple online sites and lists all the prices found.

Kathy
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
ValiantHeart
Mouseketeer

I bought all my books in e-book format, which was roughly 50% cheaper than a new book, so if that is an option for you, I'd recommend it!

Of course, there were certain books (my lab manuals, stuff like that) I had to buy paper copies.

Honestly, I wouldn't even mess with the campus bookstore if you can help it. I've noticed between the bookstore on campus and the bookstore literally two blocks from campus, there's a 10% difference in the price of books. In campus bookstores, you pay for the convenience of it being on campus.
ValiantHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

It will depend upon how popular the books are. We have bought new, used, rented, from Amazon, bookrenter, Barnes and Noble, overstock, chegg, ebay, and the school book store. To get the best prices you have to do a lot of searching and be prepared to obtain your books from multiple sources.
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

This year we used chegg.com, abebooks, and amazon.com to buy used books and rent books for my son. We did a search of the isbn numbers in each place and figured the best price. One book was only avaiable at school so used the bookstore for it.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Because I have financial aid I buy my books directly from the bookstore. My total for 9 credits, the books alone $450.00 That's not including my lab coat and glasses. My one instructor refuses to use the text book assigned for the class. (Economics) I looked everywhere for the one he wants to use. It ranges from $40-80 out of pocket. I looked into downloading books on my Nook but it wasn't really that cheaper, still $80 for my Economic book. I have been back and forth with the bookstore and found out this is not only against school policy but federal guidelines.

My school also has books that are specially made for them. For example my Math book from summer had an exclusive code and I had to do all my homework over the computer. Same thing with my Medical term book. It was a workbook and not resalable. It makes it hard to buy those books used. Same thing with my Spanish class this semester. The books were $140 but I can't resell them because they have the computer code and the workbook that I write in.

I found the Economics book on Ebay. Some professors are very specific about what books you can use. I would make sure that it's the book before purchasing.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk

Last edited by tinkmom2; 09-09-2012 at 08:53 PM.
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #24
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbliny View Post
Also, in regards to Amazon prime membership ...

After the initial 'free' year, student prime costs $39/yr. Student prime only comes with membership for one person and the only benefit is 2 day shipping.

However, we found out after wasting money last year on it - it was better for my husband to buy a regular prime membership for $79/yr. It allows him to invite 3 others to share the prime membership - so my daughter and I get free 2-day prime, and we all get access to prime eligible free video streaming (and e-reader books) - something that my daughter loves up at school. For us it was worth it since we were able to get rid of Netflix.
Once you start paying the $39/yr student price you get free video streaming. My kids' Kindles are registered to my account so we all share the benefits.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #25
jgreco
Mouseketeer

DD goes to private high school, before I was wiser I paid full price from the school bookstore, even the used ones were priced ridiculous. Year one I paid over $400. Last year and this year I bought on Ebay, Amazon and half.com and paid less than $200. I was able to resell her old books through Amazon to at least pay for part of this year's books.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: