Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Stitchless
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom Lodge-The Movie* *(not actually a movie)

I'll give my rating of the resort right here at the top: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ out of ★ ★ ★ ★ ★. Great resort, great staff and the place is absolutely crawling with zebras.
Now I'll show you pictures that I took and talk about them in excruciating detail. Please, no flash photography, or using external lights on a video camera during the report.

This is the front lobby, from here you can follow hallways to rooms, animals and sometimes food:

This is "The Room":

Ok, that's not really the room. Here's the real deal:

This is "The Bathroom":

This is "The Wallpaper". This is on the wall in the sink section of the bathroom, I'm not sure if adding to the drawing is encouraged but I think it might be ok if you did:

This warning is on the sliding door that leads to the balcony, the words say keep your clothes on, the image says giraffes are waiting to eat your fingers:

This is the view of the pool from the balcony. The doors might look like normal glass but they're hurricane and (as a result) sound proof. No late night screams to keep you awake. Not from outside at least:

Here is a big fireplace located in the lobby, nothing better than coming in from the scorching hot Florida sun and cuddling up next to a roaring fire:

There's also another fire-pit just outside, in case the one inside is full:

This is an observation point for the staff to safely view the tourists in the lobby. Or maybe it's the check-in desk. Could be either, really:

This is Victoria Falls, a quiet bar located above the Boma restaurant. People mainly come here to get drunk. I joined them:

This is the bar located outside next to the pool. I found this place much more handy for my drinking purposes. It's also a great place if you like bees, there's almost as many bees here as there are zebras:

This, I like to imagine, started out as a Christmas tree, but then the guests kept adding decorations to it and now no one knows what it is. Sure, there's placards right in front telling you what it is but I don't want to get confused by facts:

This creepy face-like entrance if on the 5th floor, it's that walk-way that looks like a rope bridge. It's said that if you walk into the mouth of this creature you never come back out. Mostly it was me saying that but I told it to every kid i saw. The legend grows:

This is what you see looking down to the left from the bridge:

This is the view from the bridge looking across the lobby to the right. Notice the top floor in the picture, I'll tell you more about that in a second:

Here's a closer look at the mysterious 6th floor, A.K.A. the Concierge level. Rumor has it that if you're a guest staying on that floor you get free food, booze and possibly helicopter rides. I haven't verified the helicopter bit but it sounds plausible:

If you're thinking, hey, I'll just sneak up there and ride a helicopter without paying, think again! The doors are these giant metal gates, guarded by mousekeepers armed with dirty towels. I risked my life taking this picture for you:

These hang from the ceiling, it's bundles of shields and spears that can be lowered down to the staff to fend off resort guests who figure out they can't go to the sixth floor:

Here's a couple pictures of the main lobby seating area. Also a good place to get drunk:

Night time view of the pool from our balcony, drinking is encouraged in this location:

This is Boma, located right below Victoria Falls. A very pretty place that I did not eat at:

To end it off, (not really the end, just this first bit, there's a limit of 25 images per post so I have to break this up) this is a picture of a decoration hanging behind the cash register at the store there, I just like the way it looks:
Old 09-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Stitchless
Mouseketeer

Ok, here's the 2 pictures I had to cut to make that last post fit.

This is the lobby if you go over to Kidani Village:

It might be hard to see, but the man in this second picture of Kidani talked really loudly, so loudly I thought for sure he was doing some kind of performance, so I sat down and watched for about 5 minutes before I realized he was just very interested in what he had to say:
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Stitchless
Mouseketeer

Ok, now on to the animals.

This is the feeding truck, keepers place food around the savannah to bring the animals closer to the people, it's very popular:

This ostrich plucked a blue lid off that grey container and went to town on whatever was inside. I named him MVP of the trip. And Greg. Greg the ostrich:

This is an ankole cattle and a giraffe of some sort. I say some sort because there were reticulated and some other type at the resort. The giraffes never told me who was who so if they want to play the quiet game no one gets named. I suppose I could Google it but that would involve typing. These guys were over in Kidani:

Here's a giraffe at night. The guides say they don't lie down in the wild normally so this is cool to see. Also, a hard shot to get because I couldn't see anything but black in the viewscreen on my camera. I rock:

This guy escaped the Animal Kingdom itself and made a nest at the resort:

Alright, that wasn't true, I just like the picture.

On our final night there all the animals got together in front of out balcony and serenaded us to sleep. True story:

Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Stitchless
Mouseketeer

Oops, found a pic of the nightly s'mores get-together. Each evening they start a fire in a pit and give the guests utensils and ingredients to make s'mores:

Old 09-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Thank you so much for the pictures and information. I'm staying there in January and can't wait to take a helicopter ride around the Savannah. -Amanda
Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Great pictures! Great and entertaining captions!

I'm glad you posted the link to your TR. I'm really enjoying it.

When I came to "The Room" pic, I hesitated. In all my stays at the AKL, I couldn't think where this room was until I took a closer look.

My interpretation of your so-called Christmas Tree: An African Christmas Tree decorated with arrows. It's a native custom.

I love your picture of the giraffe at night--great shot.

I have to admit that I'm very jealous of you. We have stayed at the AKL many times and have never been serenaded by the animals. You and your family must be very special people.

Can't wait for more.

Kathy

Old 09-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
DVC'96
Mouseketeer

Wow! Beautiful pictures of AKL. I want to stay there now!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
YoYoAurora

Pity my DH! It's a looooong list
And now back to my usual ignore all schedule

Woohoo! Your photos are getting me in the mood for my October trip to AKL. I'll send you photos from my helicopter ride after I get back.

Your night photo of the giraffe is great. My nighttime shots usually turn out totally black, so I can't even tell if I left the lens cap on or not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: