DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
twoj
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 110

ROFR's at OKW- what is Disney going to do?

Am somewhat of a newbie here and with reading all the threads about people buying. It does seem that a lot of OKW is being ROFR'd... What do you all think Disney is doing with this stockpile of points? Has anyone sat through a presentation? Are they offering them with Aulani, BLT and AkV?
twoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoj View Post
Am somewhat of a newbie here and with reading all the threads about people buying. It does seem that a lot of OKW is being ROFR'd... What do you all think Disney is doing with this stockpile of points? Has anyone sat through a presentation? Are they offering them with Aulani, BLT and AkV?
They continue to sell a lot of OKW points every month.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Caren90
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 642

They are also shining those old points up and reselling them with the extended contract date.

Stephen
__________________
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran
 
dvcterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoj View Post
Am somewhat of a newbie here and with reading all the threads about people buying. It does seem that a lot of OKW is being ROFR'd... What do you all think Disney is doing with this stockpile of points? Has anyone sat through a presentation? Are they offering them with Aulani, BLT and AkV?
did a direct add-on this week and OKW was available.
__________________
Terry
dvcterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,708

Quote:
They are also shining those old points up and reselling them with the extended contract date.
This feeds into my guess. When DVC offered the extension, some people took them up on it, but my sense is many more did not. So, that means DVCMC has to continue to operate OKW as a timeshare under the current POS until 2054, but DVD would end up owning a substantial fraction of the resort starting in 2042. I think they are trying to limit the size of their risk as best they can.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
This feeds into my guess. When DVC offered the extension, some people took them up on it, but my sense is many more did not. So, that means DVCMC has to continue to operate OKW as a timeshare under the current POS until 2054, but DVD would end up owning a substantial fraction of the resort starting in 2042. I think they are trying to limit the size of their risk as best they can.
That's good news for me when I decide to sell my OKW 2042 175 points.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran
 
luckyman_apd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90 View Post
They are also shining those old points up and reselling them with the extended contract date.

Stephen
This makes sense since they will need owners to pay dues up till that date, unless DVD wants to pay the dues themselves. What makes me curious is what is going to happen when 2042 rolls around with the other resorts? Will they be options to stay at for owners of BLT, AKV, SSR, etc? Will they be refurbished and repackaged as new DVC resorts? I will be old and grey (if I'm still here) by 2060 when BLT expires, so I know I will get my use out of my points in my lifetime, but it will be curious to know what's going to happen.
__________________
Coronado Apr 2009, BLT Feb 2011, SSR June 2011, DLR June 2012, BLT Nov 2012, OKW Mar 2013, SSR Aug 2013, BLT Dec 2013, BLT/BCV July 2014
Me DW DD(8)DS(4)
luckyman_apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Caren90
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post
This makes sense since they will need owners to pay dues up till that date, unless DVD wants to pay the dues themselves. What makes me curious is what is going to happen when 2042 rolls around with the other resorts? Will they be options to stay at for owners of BLT, AKV, SSR, etc? Will they be refurbished and repackaged as new DVC resorts? I will be old and grey (if I'm still here) by 2060 when BLT expires, so I know I will get my use out of my points in my lifetime, but it will be curious to know what's going to happen.
That is the $64,000 question. My guess, they blow up the resorts and start all over again, especially if DVC remains profitable. Or maybe they build condos on the land, or maybe Orlando will be beachfront property by that time...

Stephen
__________________
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,708

Quote:
That's good news for me when I decide to sell my OKW 2042 175 points.
Only if DVD significantly increases their ROFR rate. Time will tell, but it is unlikely that will happen without a significant marketing push trying to move those points again---otherwise DVD ends up owning more of the resort earlier than otherwise.

But, if you see Guides start to push OKW heavily, that's a good signal.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
auralia
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,169

Also I have okw June use year. I tried to do an add on because I didn't find anything resale to meet my needs.... They were sold out of my use year AND there was a wait list to even buy points. So why let someone resale a contract at 60$ po when Disney has people lining up to buy them at 90$pp.
__________________
auralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,708

Quote:
So why let someone resale a contract at 60$ po when Disney has people lining up to buy them at 90$pp.
Because that means that 2/3ds the cost of the contract was "capital". That's a lot higher than it should be. In most timeshares, the cost of marketing and sales is higher than the cost to acquire the land and build the resort. I don't think I've seen a detailed breakdown by DVC, but I'd be surprised if it was all that much different.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
belias21
DIS Dad's Club Member #717
 
belias21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90 View Post
or maybe Orlando will be beachfront property by that time...

Stephen

If that's the case, then Vero Beach (and maybe Hilton Head) will need to be marketed as a "Unique Under-sea Experience."
__________________
Brian




..........
belias21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Caren90
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by belias21 View Post

If that's the case, then Vero Beach (and maybe Hilton Head) will need to be marketed as a "Unique Under-sea Experience."
Be assured that Disney will find a way to make money off their new "Aquarium DVC Resort"

Stephen
__________________
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.