DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
twoj
Mouseketeer

ROFR's at OKW- what is Disney going to do?

Am somewhat of a newbie here and with reading all the threads about people buying. It does seem that a lot of OKW is being ROFR'd... What do you all think Disney is doing with this stockpile of points? Has anyone sat through a presentation? Are they offering them with Aulani, BLT and AkV?
twoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoj View Post
Am somewhat of a newbie here and with reading all the threads about people buying. It does seem that a lot of OKW is being ROFR'd... What do you all think Disney is doing with this stockpile of points? Has anyone sat through a presentation? Are they offering them with Aulani, BLT and AkV?
They continue to sell a lot of OKW points every month.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Caren90
DIS Veteran

They are also shining those old points up and reselling them with the extended contract date.

Stephen
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoj View Post
did a direct add-on this week and OKW was available.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
They are also shining those old points up and reselling them with the extended contract date.
This feeds into my guess. When DVC offered the extension, some people took them up on it, but my sense is many more did not. So, that means DVCMC has to continue to operate OKW as a timeshare under the current POS until 2054, but DVD would end up owning a substantial fraction of the resort starting in 2042. I think they are trying to limit the size of their risk as best they can.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
This feeds into my guess. When DVC offered the extension, some people took them up on it, but my sense is many more did not. So, that means DVCMC has to continue to operate OKW as a timeshare under the current POS until 2054, but DVD would end up owning a substantial fraction of the resort starting in 2042. I think they are trying to limit the size of their risk as best they can.
That's good news for me when I decide to sell my OKW 2042 175 points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90 View Post

Stephen
This makes sense since they will need owners to pay dues up till that date, unless DVD wants to pay the dues themselves. What makes me curious is what is going to happen when 2042 rolls around with the other resorts? Will they be options to stay at for owners of BLT, AKV, SSR, etc? Will they be refurbished and repackaged as new DVC resorts? I will be old and grey (if I'm still here) by 2060 when BLT expires, so I know I will get my use out of my points in my lifetime, but it will be curious to know what's going to happen.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post
This makes sense since they will need owners to pay dues up till that date, unless DVD wants to pay the dues themselves. What makes me curious is what is going to happen when 2042 rolls around with the other resorts? Will they be options to stay at for owners of BLT, AKV, SSR, etc? Will they be refurbished and repackaged as new DVC resorts? I will be old and grey (if I'm still here) by 2060 when BLT expires, so I know I will get my use out of my points in my lifetime, but it will be curious to know what's going to happen.
That is the $64,000 question. My guess, they blow up the resorts and start all over again, especially if DVC remains profitable. Or maybe they build condos on the land, or maybe Orlando will be beachfront property by that time...

Stephen
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Brian Noble

Quote:
That's good news for me when I decide to sell my OKW 2042 175 points.
Only if DVD significantly increases their ROFR rate. Time will tell, but it is unlikely that will happen without a significant marketing push trying to move those points again---otherwise DVD ends up owning more of the resort earlier than otherwise.

But, if you see Guides start to push OKW heavily, that's a good signal.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
auralia
DIS Veteran

Also I have okw June use year. I tried to do an add on because I didn't find anything resale to meet my needs.... They were sold out of my use year AND there was a wait list to even buy points. So why let someone resale a contract at 60$ po when Disney has people lining up to buy them at 90$pp.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Brian Noble

Quote:
So why let someone resale a contract at 60$ po when Disney has people lining up to buy them at 90$pp.
Because that means that 2/3ds the cost of the contract was "capital". That's a lot higher than it should be. In most timeshares, the cost of marketing and sales is higher than the cost to acquire the land and build the resort. I don't think I've seen a detailed breakdown by DVC, but I'd be surprised if it was all that much different.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
belias21
DIS Dad's Club Member #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90 View Post
or maybe Orlando will be beachfront property by that time...

Stephen

If that's the case, then Vero Beach (and maybe Hilton Head) will need to be marketed as a "Unique Under-sea Experience."

belias21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belias21 View Post

If that's the case, then Vero Beach (and maybe Hilton Head) will need to be marketed as a "Unique Under-sea Experience."
Be assured that Disney will find a way to make money off their new "Aquarium DVC Resort"

Stephen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: