Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 9,655

Transferring data from old laptop to new (Macbooks)

I bought a new Macbook. I wanted to transfer files, pictures, music etc from the old Mac to the new Mac. I know that it is possible, and it asked if I wanted to (which I did) when I was setting up the new mac. I connected it via wireless and it said it would take 40+ HOURS to do. I finally gave up. Is there a 'quicker' way?

The old laptop has a charging issue (gets hot when left hooked up to the charger) so I can NOT leave it unattended, and plugged in.
__________________


crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
AquaDame
Are we there yet?
 
AquaDame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,545

Yes there is, if you have a firewire cable (and the new & old machines have a firewire port) you can do it that way with the old machine in target disk mode - you reboot it and hold down the T key until you see a firewire symbol bouncing around its screen. You should also be able to attach both of them over ethernet to your router and do it that way instead of wirelessly if you are set up to do so. The third option would be if you are tech savy at all and have an external hard drive sled sitting around - but most people don't - you can take the hard drive out of the old computer and put it in a sled to transfer the data. If you bought the new machine at an Apple Store they usually will do this for free...?
__________________
AquaDame is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
dex08
DIS Veteran
 
dex08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 842

Buy an external hard drive, transfer the files to the external drive from your old computer then attach the drive to your Macbook and pull them off of the external drive. Keep a copy on your external drive and you have a backup copy just in case you ever lose your files
dex08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 9,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Yes there is, if you have a firewire cable (and the new & old machines have a firewire port) you can do it that way with the old machine in target disk mode - you reboot it and hold down the T key until you see a firewire symbol bouncing around its screen. You should also be able to attach both of them over ethernet to your router and do it that way instead of wirelessly if you are set up to do so. The third option would be if you are tech savy at all and have an external hard drive sled sitting around - but most people don't - you can take the hard drive out of the old computer and put it in a sled to transfer the data. If you bought the new machine at an Apple Store they usually will do this for free...?
THanks. I just read something about a firwire cable... but I don't think I have one. I will have to look and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex08 View Post
Buy an external hard drive, transfer the files to the external drive from your old computer then attach the drive to your Macbook and pull them off of the external drive. Keep a copy on your external drive and you have a backup copy just in case you ever lose your files
Thanks. That's something to think about.
__________________


crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella
 
Kathryn Merteuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 6,222

I use an external hard drive to do mine. I have actually done this a few times recently. To back up my old Mac before having it worked on, then I got a new Mac...then I backed it up and did a "clean install" of the new OS.

It probably took a couple hours to do all of it. It really depends on how much stuff you have, the amount of time it takes to move it.

Just drag the stuff and drop it onto the external hard drive, then plug that hard drive into the new Mac and drag it on to that one.

I actually back mine up on an external HD every few months. It is really easy, just a matter of drag and drop.

If you want to retain all your iTunes playlists, playcounts and all, just drag the iTunes folder onto your external HD and then drag it onto the new computer and let it overwrite the iTunes folder. It works perfectly. You just have to make sure that your backup is an older version of iTunes than your new computer. Basically, just don't update iTunes before you back it up, use the newest version of iTunes on your new computer.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 9,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
I use an external hard drive to do mine. I have actually done this a few times recently. To back up my old Mac before having it worked on, then I got a new Mac...then I backed it up and did a "clean install" of the new OS.

It probably took a couple hours to do all of it. It really depends on how much stuff you have, the amount of time it takes to move it.

Just drag the stuff and drop it onto the external hard drive, then plug that hard drive into the new Mac and drag it on to that one.

I actually back mine up on an external HD every few months. It is really easy, just a matter of drag and drop.

If you want to retain all your iTunes playlists, playcounts and all, just drag the iTunes folder onto your external HD and then drag it onto the new computer and let it overwrite the iTunes folder. It works perfectly. You just have to make sure that your backup is an older version of iTunes than your new computer. Basically, just don't update iTunes before you back it up, use the newest version of iTunes on your new computer.
What kind of external hard drive do you have?
I bought the apple Time Capsule, but have no idea how to get the info back out of it....
__________________


crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex08 View Post
Buy an external hard drive, transfer the files to the external drive from your old computer then attach the drive to your Macbook and pull them off of the external drive. Keep a copy on your external drive and you have a backup copy just in case you ever lose your files
not unless u need a backup, u can just get a case to turn your old laptop hard drive into external, once your done, u can just put it back into the old laptop. save you lots of money... external = $50+, case = $5-20.

Its easy to backup iTunes... Theres a folder you just copy over and your good. Just make sure u export your playlist...
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella
 
Kathryn Merteuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 6,222

I have a Western Digital 1tb external HD. I paid like $60something for it a couple years ago, I got it from Dell.

I don't know how to use the Time Capsule or the Time Machine on a Mac. Just seems easier to me to drag and drop stuff.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 9,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
not unless u need a backup, u can just get a case to turn your old laptop hard drive into external, once your done, u can just put it back into the old laptop. save you lots of money... external = $50+, case = $5-20.

Its easy to backup iTunes... Theres a folder you just copy over and your good. Just make sure u export your playlist...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
I have a Western Digital 1tb external HD. I paid like $60something for it a couple years ago, I got it from Dell.

I don't know how to use the Time Capsule or the Time Machine on a Mac. Just seems easier to me to drag and drop stuff.
Certainly the external HD sounds easy. I wouldn't know how to get the old HD out of the Old Laptop....

Thanks.
__________________


crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 9,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
I have a Western Digital 1tb external HD. I paid like $60something for it a couple years ago, I got it from Dell.

I don't know how to use the Time Capsule or the Time Machine on a Mac. Just seems easier to me to drag and drop stuff.
I got a western digital passport.
I plugged it in... I can NOT figure out how to drag and drop?????
I can't even see a folder to drop too....
__________________


crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran
 
arthuruscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 576

It will take the mac/ pc a few minutes to fully install the drivers and allow the external drive to be usable. I am not sure how it appears on macs but on pcs it is listed under the hard drives or removable media section.

Also, instead of using wifi, you can use Ethernet cables to connect the 2 macs to your router and get a lot faster file transfer speed then any wifi can provide.

Most recent routers allow for 1 gb/sec WIRED compared to the 22mb/sec wireless connection speed of your old macs wifi "g" connection.
__________________
DEC 2012 FW
MAY 2012 POFQ, OCT 2011 AKL KV, OCT 2010 ALM
Memory Issues
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,381

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz4mm2 View Post
Certainly the external HD sounds easy. I wouldn't know how to get the old HD out of the Old Laptop....

Thanks.
have a nerdy friend do it. Its very simple. U unscrew the bottom, pull the hard drive out, stick it in a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz4mm2 View Post
I got a western digital passport.
I plugged it in... I can NOT figure out how to drag and drop?????
I can't even see a folder to drop too....
are u going from mac--> mac? or PC --> Mac?
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella
 
Kathryn Merteuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 6,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz4mm2 View Post
I got a western digital passport.
I plugged it in... I can NOT figure out how to drag and drop?????
I can't even see a folder to drop too....
On mine, if I plug in an external drive, it will pop up on the desktop as a picture of a hard drive.

There MIGHT be an issue of it not being set to display, this article shows how to do it:

http://www.elmajdal.net/Mac_OS/How_T...n_Desktop.aspx

Also, as another poster said...it might take a couple minutes when you first do it for it to show up.


After you get the icon to show up on your desktop, just arrange your windows around so you can grab folders and drop them. Also, if your "Macintosh HD" isn't displayed on your desktop, that article also shows how to make it show up.

The article says that by default, there won't be any icons on your desktop. I know when I installed Mountain Lion on mine, I had to go into the settings an tell it to display my HD.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 9,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
have a nerdy friend do it. Its very simple. U unscrew the bottom, pull the hard drive out, stick it in a case.



are u going from mac--> mac? or PC --> Mac?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
On mine, if I plug in an external drive, it will pop up on the desktop as a picture of a hard drive.

There MIGHT be an issue of it not being set to display, this article shows how to do it:

http://www.elmajdal.net/Mac_OS/How_T...n_Desktop.aspx

Also, as another poster said...it might take a couple minutes when you first do it for it to show up.


After you get the icon to show up on your desktop, just arrange your windows around so you can grab folders and drop them. Also, if your "Macintosh HD" isn't displayed on your desktop, that article also shows how to make it show up.

The article says that by default, there won't be any icons on your desktop. I know when I installed Mountain Lion on mine, I had to go into the settings an tell it to display my HD.
Ok, I will try the article...
I did plug it in to the old laptop, but I really only wanted the pics and the music....
__________________


crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
lawnmd
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 39

external hard drive. You could use a 32gb flash drive. But those things are slow compaired to an external.

These also make ether net cables for this two. The are wired differantly. So they can easily swap data. But a external drive is a good thing to have around for back ups to.

amazon.com
also you can order from www.tigerdirect.com
depending on how much data. You can get a 500gb for around $50 Or larger ones for aroundd $70
lawnmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.