Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Booked a Dummy Cruise....Questions!

We just got off our 1st cruise ever on the Wonder. While onboard, I booked our next cruise for the OBC and 10% discount.

A few questions:

I am not seeing that we got a 10% discount. I can book the same cruise on Costco for about $150 more than the DCL quote for 2 for an OV room. The difference should be over $300 at approximately $1600 per person. What am I missing?

I booked the "dummy" cruise for the actual cruise we plan to take to Alaska. Our current PIF date is April 21, which seems like a looonnng time before the cruise on Sept 2, 2013.

Am I better off to pick a cruise in early 2014 so that I have the luxury of watching prices on this cruise? I noticed for our Alaska cruise this year that GTYs came out about 3 months before the cruise (which is when we booked) and OGT, etc. with even lower prices came out about 2 months before the cruise. If those don't become available, then I could move the dummy back to this cruise and actually book it, say in late July?

We will be driving to the port, so don't have to worry about buying flights. It seems like this cruise will be in lower demand due to leaving out of Vancouver and because most schools will be back in session so I would think there will be OGT, etc. available.

This is confusing since we are new to cruising. Thanks for any advice you have!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014

Last edited by Luv2Diz; 09-07-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

I am doing just that. We have a dummy cruise for fall 2013 that was an OBB. I plan to watch spring sailings and grab one if I can get it at a *GT rate. If not, we will stick with a Fall date, but not the particular one we are booked on right now. The bad thing is that I think if rates increase and you don't get a *GT rate you will have to pay the higher rate. For me, its worth the gamble.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

The way to see if you got the 10% discount is to go through the motions of booking the same cabin category on DCL's web site. It should be 10% off the before-tax price.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The 10% comes off the cruise fare portion of the ticket only. The total cost consists of cruise fare, taxes and government fees, and "non-commissionable items" (whatever that is!). There is no discount on taxes, port charges, etc. Bottom line, if the cruise costs a total of $3000, the discount is not $300. It is probably more like $220.

No one can predict whether there will ultimately be OGT/IGT/VGT or other severe discounts on the cruise you have booked. On our May Fantasy cruise, I had a day 1 booking with the 10% off for moving an onboard booking. While there were the IGT/OGT/VGT discounts offered, I still paid less than this deal (by very little, but some). In addition, I had the onboard credit.

I can't tell you whether it might be possible to get the cruise you want for less than you are currently paying; no one knows. Since your cruise departs from Canada (outside the US), your penalty date should be 120 days before embarkation. April 21 seems just a little early, but did you use a TA? Many list the PIF date 2 weeks before DCL's actual date in order to be sure that the payment is processed on time.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

A dummy date is one that you have no intention to actually cruise. It appears that you have booked a cruise that you want to take. The Alaskan cruises have an early PIF due date, but the cancellation penalties do not start at that point. You may want to look up when that would apply to your cruise.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
topsy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
We just got off our 1st cruise ever on the Wonder. While onboard, I booked our next cruise for the OBC and 10% discount.

A few questions:

I am not seeing that we got a 10% discount. I can book the same cruise on Costco for about $150 more than the DCL quote for 2 for an OV room. The difference should be over $300 at approximately $1600 per person. What am I missing?

I booked the "dummy" cruise for the actual cruise we plan to take to Alaska. Our current PIF date is April 21, which seems like a looonnng time before the cruise on Sept 2, 2013.

Am I better off to pick a cruise in early 2014 so that I have the luxury of watching prices on this cruise? I noticed for our Alaska cruise this year that GTYs came out about 3 months before the cruise (which is when we booked) and OGT, etc. with even lower prices came out about 2 months before the cruise. If those don't become available, then I could move the dummy back to this cruise and actually book it, say in late July?

We will be driving to the port, so don't have to worry about buying flights. It seems like this cruise will be in lower demand due to leaving out of Vancouver and because most schools will be back in session so I would think there will be OGT, etc. available.

This is confusing since we are new to cruising. Thanks for any advice you have!
Sorry to sound dim but what does OGT and GTY mean?!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: