Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #91
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Merida Meet and Liberty Tree Lunch

We entered the Magic Kingdom around 10 in the AM. Alas, we hadn’t made opening, but then we did have a nice, relaxed morning at the Contemporary instead, which I think was worth it.

Our first objective was to meet Merida – she is out in the fairytale garden where Rapunzel used to be. The line for Rapunzel used to grow to an insane length immediately at opening, but we were hoping Merida wasn’t yet that popular and that the wait wouldn’t be too long…

Luckily, our hunch proved correct! This Rapunzel line used to stretch allll the way out of the garden and up the path towards the wishing well. This line was still within the meet and greet area and was only 5-10 minutes!

While we waited we noticed all the new Merida details in the Highland hall where she’s meeting and greeting. They still have the big slab table with coloring sheets, and now they also have…

Archery lessons! (Sorry, my Merida coloring page cut off the top corner of the photo). Dart had a great aim.

Love the details on the stage, like the tapestry from the movie. Merida’s boisterous younger brothers…or should I say bears…were also present!

The bears were a really neat audio-animatronic addition to the meet and greet – they would giggle or shake their heads in response to our conversation! But then, of course they would respond…the fact that the kilted CM would always have his hand mysteriously in his pocket when the bears moved had nothing to do with it.

All the Rapunzel purple has been replace with Merida green!

Another awesome tapestry featuring all the main characters from the movie. I knew I had to wear my hair down in all its curly frizzy glory to meet Merida - we are totally hair twins!

This Merida was an absolutely FANTASTIC Merida. She looked and moved and spoke JUST like in the movie.

Once she was done with the family in front of us, while they were still getting their photopass card sorted, she came over to where we were waiting to say hello. Mom asked if she had seen any wisps lately, to which she replied that she had, a few, and she had heard they could change your fate.

She then observed that my shoes were the same color, maybe they were wisps!! I LOVED that - I think of it every time I wear those shoes now. It makes finding my fate a lot simpler, I just have to follow me feet, right?

Sometimes, when you meet characters, it's just a hello, autograph, snap the photo, and goodbye. Not with Merida.

She was bouncing around, introducing us to her brothers (the bears), telling us a story about how they had stolen apples when she was out riding with Angus, and then about how Mordu bit her Dad's leg clean off - CHOMP! And she said it just like in the movie. We all just sort of stared at her, awe-struck.

Then she showed us all how to do a proper warrior pose and we got some pics. I was trying to travel light, so I didn't have a notebook with me (which for me, is extremely unusual!), so I asked her to sign the back of the coloring sheet. She had a green pen all ready - green is her favorite color, she said.

Merida and I. Totally BFF. LOL.

Finally, as we say goodbye (after a good five-minute conversation with Merida!) she reminded us to be on the look out for wisps, and Mom said she had heard of a green wisp associated with Peter Pan. Merida caught on and said, yes, she had heard that legend too!

We all absolutely LOVED meeting Merida and could not stop talking about it as we started strolling towards Fantasyland...

Fantasyland looked so different without Dumbo – there was such a big empty space where it used to be. But now I hear the castle walls are up…can’t wait to see that!

We had stopped by Peter Pan to grab fastpasses before Merida, so we were able to hop on the next pirate ship to Neverland with very little wait.

Mom and Athos were for Haunted Mansion after that, but since Dart is not a big fan of that, he came with me on Small World

The song aside (which actually doesn’t bother me so very much), this is such a darling ride. There are so many cute scenes!

After Small World we met up with Mom and Athos near Haunted Mansion. We had a little bit of time to kill before lunch – we were eating at our favorite, the Liberty Tree. I could already hear that ooey gooey toffee cake calling my name! We hung out in Liberty Square. The Main Street Philharmonic was playing, so we watched them for a little while. We also had time to get some Sorcerer’s Cards and start on a mission.

I had a look in this fruit/drinks stall...mainly because I've never actually looked at it before, I've only ducked under here to get sheleter when it's raining.

Did you know that they sell not only baked potatoes but baked SWEET potatoes here for $3.29? Awesome! They also had whole fruit, frozen slushes, craisins, trail mix, and hot dogs. It’s the mostly-healthy food stall I guess.

Finally it was 11:30 and time for the Liberty Tree Tavern to start seating lunch!

If you’re eating at the Liberty Tree, whether it be lunch or dinner, I would highly recommend making your ADR for right when the restaurant starts seating.

The rooms in this restaurant are very charming, but the ceilings are low and there isn’t a whole lot of space in between tables – it’s not nearly as nice a place to be when it’s loud and crowded.

We were seated in the Ben Franklin room, and we ended up having it all to ourselves for the first half hour – so restful!

There are so many neat details in every room! This one had, of course, portraits of Ben Franklin as well as all his besties like Jefferson and Washington. Also lots of little references to his life, like the key on the wall (I'm pretty sure there was a kite somewhere as well).

I've heard that Disney details are often bought from antique markets and such, rather than just produced. Isn't it funny to think that that key might once have opened the door to someone's house?

There were some important documents lying around as well...

So. We were sitting at our nice window table, admiring all the details, waiting for the waiter, and I idly glanced over the menu.

At the Liberty Tree Tavern, I don’t even need a menu. I always get the tri-corner roast beef sandwich with the amazing tavern fries, and then OF COURSE the heavenly ooey gooey toffee cake for dessert.

Secure in the knowledge that I was about to have the best lunch ever, I was just reading over the other selections on the menu when I realized that...

THE TRI-CORNER SANDWICH WASN'T THERE!

I looked again. Shock. Dismay. Horror.

It really wasn't there.

They had recently changed their menu and now there was some weird pork sandwich in the place of the wonderful roast beef and coleslaw tri-corner.

SNIFF. At least they still have the fun Liberty Tree mugs. And they still did have the ooey gooey tooey toffee cake. If that had been missing, we may have broken down and cried.

Mom, when acquainted with the absence of our favorite sandwich, was equally dismayed. We asked to speak to the chef - we were going to do this anyway, to request that our ooey gooey toffee cakes be extra warm. On our past few trips, the cake itself was only lukewarm, which is no good, because you want the cake to be piping hot so that it melts the ice cream and makes everything ooey gooey amazingness.

ANYway, the chef told us the tri-corner was indeed gone and gave us an email address that we can write to concerning our anger and dissapointment. Don't worry, we didn't take it out on the chef.

In the end Mom and I split the pot roast. It was good – I liked the big chunks of vegetables. Also that one plate was my half portion, so it was great to split. But I'm not a huge stew person, and it wasn’t so delicious that I would need to come back for it.

Also tried the sweet potato fries for the first time. They were also just good, not great.

At least we could still count on dessert...

The OGTC was as wonderfully chewy and chocolatey and warm and stunningly delicious as ever.

See how that ice cream is nice and melty? That's what you want. Trust me. I know.

UP NEXT: (finally!) PIRATICAL TRANSFORMATIONS!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #92
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

I love the bears with Merida. Also I need one of those cakes like right now. Love the last pic. I can almost hear the angels singing!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #93
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
I love the bears with Merida. Also I need one of those cakes like right now. Love the last pic. I can almost hear the angels singing!
I could totally go for some OGTC right now too. We tried making it at home once, and it didn't come out too badly, but it still wasn't quite the same.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #94
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post

I could totally go for some OGTC right now too. We tried making it at home once, and it didn't come out too badly, but it still wasn't quite the same.
It's never the same as Disney when you try do it yourself. They add magic and pixie dust to make it the nicest cake you'll ever get!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #95
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Loved Merida! Look on YouTube for her,some people have recently posted their chats with her right as she came to MK~I swear the one that you saw is the one that was on the YouTube I saw,...she was unbelievably real...can't wait to see her!!!
I have not been to the LTT in years!!! I have a night open for dinner...do you think we should try it? The last time we did go it was when it was still hosted by Stauffers and I promise you it all tasted like tv dinners. It was awful. In fact, it was so bad, that I felt like I was going to cry because we had wasted so much money to get a TV dinner meal!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #96
Oscar5933
Earning My Ears

Smile brunette merida

You and Merida could be twins! You are definetly the brunette Merida :-)
I love all the concierge photos, I have always wanted to stay club level and this just seals the deal for me.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #97
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

These pictures are making me so nostalgic. Because you know, it's been SO long since I was there... (at least it feels like it).

I want a toaster like that.

So jealous you got to meet Merida! I was in line... long story... anyways, I'm jealous. Haha. Yall really are hair twinsish!

Aww! Sorry your sandwich was gone! I really dislike how often Disney restaurants seem to change their menus. It makes no sense to me.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #98
Merida
DIS Veteran

It's like this TR update was calling me!!

I love how the vases in the Contemporary were glued down! I'm guessing more than one "mysteriously" disappeared in the beginning.

I think it's interesting to see the parks version of Merida; she's so stylized (very doll-like) in the movie. I'm glad that she's face (compared to poor Lilo and the Toy Story plastic heads)! I should dig out my old kilt and moonlight as a Merida character attendant, I'm sure no one would notice!

I've never been inside Liberty Tree, everyone seems to enjoy it so much. And I want to see all the different rooms! I wish there was an Alexander Hamilton or John and Abigail Adams room. I mean, Paul Revere doesn't really need one!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #99
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Yay for meeting Merida! I bet that is another great character interaction. Hopefully she'll be around for a while because I'd love to meet her!

Wow, that cake looks SO GOOD. I have a sudden urge to get something for dessert...
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #100
elleinad16
One of 11 couples to tie the knot at Disney World on 11-11-11!

Great report so far...

•I was just thinking how I'd love to stay at the Contemporary Resort for the holidays one year, but you have now convinced me to add on CL! Holy cow, that's gonna be expensive.
•You're family is so awesome--Love the boys' names!
•That's an awesome Merida.
•Haven't tried Liberty Tree Tavern yet, looks pretty good!

Can't wait for more!
November 2003 - WDW: Yacht Club CL December 2004 - DLR: Offsite December 2005 - DLR: Offsite August 2006 - DCL: Disney Wonder-Bahamas May 2009 - WDW: Coronado Springs September 2009 - DLR: Inaugural D23 Expo May 2010 - WDW: Port Orleans French Quarter August 2010 - WDW: POP Century November 2010 - D23: Fantasia Boston Event March 2011 - WDW: Day Trip May 2011 - WDW: Wilderness Lodge CL November 2011 - WDW: Grand Floridian for our Disney Fairy Tale Wedding May 2012 - D23: Boston FANniversary Event & WDW: Caribbean Beach September 2012 - DVC: Vero Beach October 2012 - D23: Wreck-It Ralph Boston Event February 2013 - WDW : Art of Animation May 2014 - DVC: Hilton Head Island!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #101
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
It's never the same as Disney when you try do it yourself. They add magic and pixie dust to make it the nicest cake you'll ever get!
So true...the being at Disney when you eat it definitely gives it a special taste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Loved Merida! Look on YouTube for her,some people have recently posted their chats with her right as she came to MK~I swear the one that you saw is the one that was on the YouTube I saw,...she was unbelievably real...can't wait to see her!!!
I have not been to the LTT in years!!! I have a night open for dinner...do you think we should try it? The last time we did go it was when it was still hosted by Stauffers and I promise you it all tasted like tv dinners. It was awful. In fact, it was so bad, that I felt like I was going to cry because we had wasted so much money to get a TV dinner meal!
Merida was just unbelievable -- her mannerisms, her voice, everything was spot on. We liked her so much we took Dad and Porthos to meet her later in the week but sadly the Merida that day wasn't nearly as good. Still, I'm so glad we got that experience!

Honestly, we haven't done dinner at LTT in ages, so I can't say what it would be like. Lunch we've always loved, although now that the tri-corner sandwich is gone, I won't be in such a hurry to go back. Though they do still have the Ooey Gooey! And if you have never tried that, you definitely want to!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar5933 View Post
You and Merida could be twins! You are definetly the brunette Merida :-)
I love all the concierge photos, I have always wanted to stay club level and this just seals the deal for me.
Aww, thanks! I kinda want to get some temporary red hair dye and go to MNSSHP as Merida some day!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #102
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
These pictures are making me so nostalgic. Because you know, it's been SO long since I was there... (at least it feels like it).

I want a toaster like that.

So jealous you got to meet Merida! I was in line... long story... anyways, I'm jealous. Haha. Yall really are hair twinsish!

Aww! Sorry your sandwich was gone! I really dislike how often Disney restaurants seem to change their menus. It makes no sense to me.
Haha, I know - even if you've just gotten back from Disney, sometimes it can feel like it's been months! Awww, you'll have to check in on Merida next time. Sounds like you guys had a pretty fantastic trip though! I guess Disney feels like they have to stay current, but I do hate it when they get rid of old favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
It's like this TR update was calling me!!

I love how the vases in the Contemporary were glued down! I'm guessing more than one "mysteriously" disappeared in the beginning.

I think it's interesting to see the parks version of Merida; she's so stylized (very doll-like) in the movie. I'm glad that she's face (compared to poor Lilo and the Toy Story plastic heads)! I should dig out my old kilt and moonlight as a Merida character attendant, I'm sure no one would notice!

I've never been inside Liberty Tree, everyone seems to enjoy it so much. And I want to see all the different rooms! I wish there was an Alexander Hamilton or John and Abigail Adams room. I mean, Paul Revere doesn't really need one!
Haha, this was definitely your update! I know, when I saw those vases I wondered how they had stayed so long if they weren't glued down! I'm really glad Merida is face as well...and I feel like the Merida we met that day had a great Merida face! LTT is very fun, but you're right, a John and Abigail Adams room would've been awesome! Or a James Madison room (he's my favorite founding father. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Yay for meeting Merida! I bet that is another great character interaction. Hopefully she'll be around for a while because I'd love to meet her!

Wow, that cake looks SO GOOD. I have a sudden urge to get something for dessert...
Sometimes I think my trip report is a very dangerous thing...it's always making me want dessert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleinad16 View Post
•I was just thinking how I'd love to stay at the Contemporary Resort for the holidays one year, but you have now convinced me to add on CL! Holy cow, that's gonna be expensive.
•You're family is so awesome--Love the boys' names!
•That's an awesome Merida.
•Haven't tried Liberty Tree Tavern yet, looks pretty good!

Can't wait for more!
I know, that's why we always try to break it up and do a night or two CL...but that would be really fun during the holidays! I think they put up trees and everything in the lounges too! Thanks for posting!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #103
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Pirates and Mermaids, Oh My!

So when we last left off, we were just savoring our last bites of the amazing ooey gooey toffee cake and finishing up lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern. I got up to use the restroom and left my camera unguarded…

This is what you get when you leave your camera in the hands of Athos.

Crazy Kid!

We had a little bit of time before our Pirates League reservation – just enough for the boys to run over and use some fastpasses on Splash. Mom and I strolled around Adventureland and sat in one of those cool tiled alcoves and admired the merchandise.

Crocodile Sneak Attack!

As soon as the boys got off Splash, it was time to become pirates!!

The cast members at the Pirates League desk were so funny, joking and griping at each other as pirates will do. We checked in about ten minutes early and were taken back right away.

Dart started out by spinning the treasure chest to find out what his pirate name would be!

Close-up of the Spinning Chest of Names!!

Our pirate CM then consulted the book to discover that Dart’s name would be…Ben Sharkbite! It reminded me of Finding Nemo - Sharkbait, hoo ha ha!

Sadly mermaids don’t get pirate names, which I thought was slightly lame. But then again, I can just make up my own. I think I’ll go with Lilly Seafoam. Who knows what name the spinning chest would have given me...maybe Barnacle Bertha or something, lol!

I was so excited to become a mermaid I didn’t get very many photos, which of course I now regret! But the theming in the Pirates League was AWESOME. Here’s the entryway above, with bits blown off by cannon fire!

I loved how there were mismatched mirrors and crates and gold and loot everywhere!! The chairs themselves looked very pirate-y too.

Pirate flags and chandeliers (probably stolen from somewhere!) hung from the ceiling!

I sat in that chair closest to the door. Sadly Dart was on the other side of the room, and we were so distracted I didn’t think to ask to be nearer, but Dart finished sooner than I did and came over to hang out by my chair, so it didn’t really matter.

My pirate stylist was Mallory, and she was fantastic. She did a really great job on the mermaid makeup, and she was really fun – we chatted about “real” things, working for Disney, etc., but she also stayed in character and asked if I preferred being human or being mermaid and if I would bring treasures up from the ocean for my brothers.

So apparently, in the world of Pirates, mermaids are not friendly, singing girls who fall in love with princes – instead they’re man-eating monsters.

lol, how did I not know this?

The pirate CM’s kept joking, “Are you a good mermaid?” “Are you going to eat us??”

And I’m just like: “Why would I eat you? What are you talking about?"

One pirate claimed that Ariel eats people too, to which Mom quick-wittedly replied that no, she doesn’t, we know because we live next door – we’re cousins of King Triton. Love it!

The mermaid makeover took awhile, but it was totally worth it. First, they paint your eyebrows bright turquoise, and it looks kinda crazy...

...but then they add in more blues and sea green and white…

Once all the colors are on and artistically blended, they use this stencil to add scales on your cheek, which look SO cool! It looked like professional movie make-up by the end! After the scales and all the eye colors were finished, then there was eyeliner, and then lip liner and lip gloss and some glitter pixie dust, and then you get a flower clip and necklace (which, fyi, turn colors in the sunlight!)

Here’s all the pirate/mermaid swag you come away with – flower clip and necklace, mini make-up palette, sash, little pirate bag, and awesome seafoam nail polish (painting your nails is actually the first thing they do whey you sit down, but my nails were already painted white so I just skipped that part. I love using that nail polish now though – it’s such a pretty color!)

Dart also got the pirate bag as well as his pirate sash and sword, bandana, eyepatch and earring, a pirate medallion (like in the movie), and a pirate certificate.

Dart finished when I was halfway through and came over…he looked so adorable as blackbeard!

Showing me his eye patch and pirate earring! I think Dart had a few reservations beforehand, but afterwards I think he was swept up in the magic and loved it - especially once he got his sword!

So once your piratical transformation is complete, you stand up and (in Dart’s case) say the pirate pledge and are announced to the room as a pirate or (in my case) are announced to the room as a mermaid and made to promise you won’t eat anyone.

Here I am promising I’ll be a good, vegetarian mermaid. While you’re being made up, the room is constantly ringing with fellow pirates and mermaids being announced, and with the CM’s just yelling at each other and joking around, it was a really fun atmosphere.

Once you’re all finished, you go over to a corner of the room where a CM presents you with either your cute mermaid sash or your swashbuckling sash/scabbard and sword if you’re a pirate. Dart adored the scabbard and sword and really got into character as a pirate for the rest of the day.

Once you have all your “affects,” as Cap’n Jack would say, you are invited into the secret inner pirate sanctum, where no photos are allowed (bymmer!). They say this is because they have trademarked Pirates of the Carribbean logos around. It may also have something to do with the fact that the CM in the room pulls out a “canon” (the camera, not the weapon…) and takes some really cute photos that you then have to buy if you want them.

But shhhh, I’m not supposed to be telling you anything about the room because it was all top secret. Then again I’m a mermaid, and mermaids can’t be trusted, right? lol.

There was a peep hole to look out to make sure the coast was clear – one at adult height and another at kid’s height, such a smart touch!

Exiting the secret pirate room…

I’M A MERMAID!

YAY!

Close-up of the eye make-up – it looked so stunning and so unique, I just loved it! Every time I glanced at myself in the mirror for the rest of the day, I would sort-of start and think, “Is that me??”

I’m so glad we did the Pirates League – it was a super fun experience, it was SO fun doing it with Dart - I feel like he was just the right age! When we came back out into Adventureland, Pirate Goofy had a five minute wait, and when Aramis said he was too old to meet him, Dart goes “Emma wasn’t too old for the Pirate’s League!”

lol, you bet I’m not, kid, especially if you’re not!

I would highly recommend the Pirates League for kids and grown-up’s alike! There were two other adults also getting pirate transformations while I was there, and on a different day I saw a whole family – grandparents, parents, and kids - who had ALL done the pirate make-overs.

I’m not sure I would go back a second time…Dart is getting older, and it is kinda pricey, but it was a fantastic thing to have experienced at least once!

It worked out perfectly that we got to meet Pirate Goofy right after, and with such a short wait!

Goofy gave Athos a hard time, asking why he hadn’t become a pirate too!

Sadly the line for the Pirates ride itself was 40 minutes, so we decided to save that for another day. Instead we grabbed some smoothies from Auntie Gravity’s and a hit a ride that can always be counted on for a minimum wait – the TTA. It was too hot and crowded for photos at that point, and after our jaunt on the highway of the future, we sauntered (or for the mermaids, swam!) out towards the park exit and set sail for the Contemporary!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #104
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Cool!! I loved the scales!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #105
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Ahh! This is the coolest thing ever!

Oh gosh, yes. Have you seen the fourth Pirates movie? (I'm assuming not, since you didn't know about the scary mermaids.) In that movie, the mermaids start out seemingly innocent, singing a lovely tune, and then they bare their teeth and all heck breaks loose. It's quite terrifying. But you're the nice kinds of mermaids, kin to Ariel. It's fine.

Seriously though, coolest thing ever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: