Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #481
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Getting my Wings and Back to the Poly

ALL DAY at the MK I had been stopping photopass photographpers and asking them one thing:

Can you do the Tinkerbell wings shot?

I had read on the DIS and AllEars about a special “magic” photopass option where they can add fairy wings to your back. Apparently the option on their camera is called “Wings Overlay,” and the place you’ll usually see the magic shot is (naturally) at Pixie Hollow, possibly only on special occasions.

As far as I can gather, it sounds like it’s a shot that any photopass photographer could do (I think they just have to click the option, point the camera and shoot), but maybe only some are supposed to do.

I had asked at least half a dozen different photopass photogs around the park throughout the day and gotten everything from “I have no idea what that is,” to “Sorry, I’m not allowed.”

Just as we were heading down Main Street, about to leave the Magic Kingdom, I decided to try one last time. It was a really nice girl about my age, and I told her about the Wings Overlay and asked if she could do it. At first she looked dubious, but she knew about the option (she was surprised I knew the exact name of it!) and seemed game to try. A photopass manager was nearby, so she called him over, and I think we were both holding our breath, thinking he would just say no – but instead he showed her how to do it!

He had us walk over a little bit to the alleyway off Main Street where there are some trees – apparently you need a green background to make the wings show up. It came out great:

The wings weren’t quite my size, so I think it might be a shot meant more for kids, but I don’t care. I love it!!

The success of getting the special wings photo was the perfect thing to round out the day. I blew a kiss goodbye to the castle and danced back to the Polynesian.

HELLO DARLING!

Back in the lounge, we snacked on cookies and pineapple orange guava juice which, I am amazed and appalled to find, I don’t have a single photo of.

I have no idea how that happened. I think I really was burned out on photos. But I did take a picture of the lovely grown-up grilled cheese Mama Snob and I got to share from Captain Cook’s:

Nom. Nom. Nom. The perfect thing to supplement a club lunch!

I spent some more time at the turtle table in our room, catching up on my diary and gazing out over the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Does anybody else keep a Disney Diary? I have since I was eight (our first trip to Disney), and I do really like doing it, because you remember all sorts of little things you might otherwise forget - and of course it’s great to refer to when writing my TR’s. HOWEVER. It’s kind of exhausting keeping it up – it’s so easy to fall behind and so difficult to catch up. And I always tend to write more than I need to.

But it’s good when there’s a quiet time during the trip, because not only do you have time to catch up, it’s also really easy and quick to write about those hours. For instance, this is what I wrote for the rest of our last Disney day at the Polynesian: “We got back at 3 and spent the rest of the day just lounging.”

lol – sounds good to me!

Especially with that view!!

Soon the dinner options were out, and I did take a few photos of those...

The entrees...I mean appetizers...were bacon-wrapped ginger chicken and baked brie. Note the palm/leaf plate the baked brie is on - so pretty! There were also some unbaked lovely cheeses...

Havarti (which always tastes like Roaring Fork to me, because they put dill havarti on a really wonderful sandwich there) and BOURSIN CHEESE which is one of the creamiest and most delicious cheeses known to man. I would not consider myself a cheese enthusiast, but boursin is a curd I can get pretty excited about.

The Kiddie Options: uncrustables and pitas and hummus.

MMMMMMMMMmmm...the caramel dipping sauce for the pineapple. I made myself another fruit salad. Yummy. Yummy. (Anyone get the subtle Wiggles reference there??)

The official salad of the night was very unique - smoked turkey and mango. Did you ever hear of such a combination?? But it was really good! Maybe I should try making it at home sometime...

Desserts were nice too, although there wasn't quite as much chocolate as there had been the night before:

They didn't have any signs out, and sadly I didn't write down what they were, so we're going to have to guess. I'm going with coconut macaroon for the one on the left. Obviously to the right we've got a brownie. The one in the middle is up for debate. Passion fruit? Mango? Key lime?

Whatever it was, it was tasty, I can tell you that!

We dashed back to the room to end the evening with a private viewing of the Electrical Water Pageant.

I guess this is why people pay the extra for the MK view. It was pretty magical. We usually bring along glow sticks for the purpose of conducting the EWP music and dancing outrageously, and we swung them with vim, twirling around the room.

I know the dragon's blurry but had to share this pic because of the electrical storm going on behind the electrical water pageant! The lightning was so striking! (I mean that figuratively - hopefully it wasn't actually striking anything!! )

Wishes was mostly blocked by the palm trees, but there was one sweet little spot where you could see them from...

Maybe I should add this to the Where to Watch Wishes series on my blog! It's kinda specific though - room 2506, sitting on the floor, the bottom left hand corner of the window. LOL.

Coming Up: The last morning at Disney and (finally!) the super secret Polynesian mini club lounge!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #482
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post

Our interaction with Tiana was everything that the reaction with Merida wasn't. She was fantastic!

So she gets Athos next to her, puckers up, and gets closer and closer to Athos's cheek...

Your picture is adorable and that picture of Athos IS completely hysterical! Just hysterical. Poor kid!

Love the flip flops.

Love the picture of you with wings! Another great shot.

What a fun morning in the MK and a lovely afternoon back at the Poly!

Great updates~

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #483
scrapbookersdis
Yes, we are going to Disney World *again*!
It never occurred to me to wonder

??

WHAT secret club lounge??
Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #484
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your picture is adorable and that picture of Athos IS completely hysterical! Just hysterical. Poor kid!

Love the flip flops.

Love the picture of you with wings! Another great shot.

What a fun morning in the MK and a lovely afternoon back at the Poly!

Great updates~
Thanks! I love all the magic shots photopass can do, so fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookersdis View Post
WHAT secret club lounge??
lol...you'll soon see!!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #485
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

Love the wings!!

That is a great picture of the electrical storm and parade....very cool!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #486
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Loved your Sunday Clothes video! You and your brothers did a great job.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #487
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
Love the wings!!

That is a great picture of the electrical storm and parade....very cool!
The wings were really fun. And those Florida lightning storms are so dramatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
Loved your Sunday Clothes video! You and your brothers did a great job.
Thanks! They were good sports to participate, and we had a lot of fun making it in the end.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #488
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

eBook news!

I'm afraid I don't have an update quite ready for you guys yet, but I had some exciting news I wanted to share.

Today my very first eBook is out on Amazon!! If you follow my blog, you'll have seen the photo scavenger hunts I've put together for the Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and DHS. So for the Magic Kingdom, I decided to put together not one but TWELVE different photo scavenger hunts in an eBook. There are over a hundred photos and a list of Disney details to find in each land and some fun themed scavenger hunts as well (one for couples, one full of castle views to find, and one for you Disney experts too! ).

I don't think I'm allowed to put the Amazon link up here, but you can read more about it on my blog.

I'm off to work shortly, but hopefully I'll have a trip report update ready tonight or tomorrow! Hope it's a magical Monday!

Last edited by AGPrincess; 05-16-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #489
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Polynesian Princess for the Morning

Well, we've reached the last day at Disney! You would think that after living and working there for nine months and then having an amazing vacation with my family at Art of Animation and the Grand and the Polynesian that I'd be sick of it and ready to go.

Nope. I still felt sad to be leaving.

I woke up early extra and took just my book and my key and went for a wander. I didn't even bring my camera!

...ok, so that only lasted for about an hour and then I had to stop back in the room for it (I mean, what if something totally magical and unbelievable happened and I had nothing to document it with?? ), but it was nice to be electronics-free for that hour or two.

It's not a proper Polynesian morning until I've said 'Good Morning' to the beach...

...and the launch (it always toots back a good morning whistle!)...

...and of course the castle!!

It was too hot (even that early in the AM!) to be outside for extended lengths of time, so I meandered into some of the longhouses.

I love the quiet seating areas in the longhouse lobbies, and I discovered some new couches on the second floor of Tahiti that I had never encountered before. I love the big windows here, it feels like you're sitting up in the palm trees! There weren't many guests about, but cast members were busy with their tasks. One fellow was cleaning the roof right outside the window:

I love that Disney takes such good care of everything.

Eventually I ended up sitting on the edge of a completely empty volcano pool. There was not a single soul in sight. It was just me, the volcano, the palm trees, the pool, and the castle across that stretch of water. It was so peaceful and beautiful, and I felt like the Polynesian was all mine.

When you look out on this view and have it all to yourself, you can't help but feel like the princess of the Polynesian! It's like - why yes, this is my own private volcano pool, and I'm just going to dabble my feet in the cool water to enjoy the morning.

It was about 8, which for Disney isn't even all that early, and as I sat by the perfectly aqua pool, I fully expected a family of swimmers to arrive or a cast member to come by cleaning or somebody. But it was just me!

It was so totally relaxing. It didn't even matter anymore that we were leaving later that day. I was fully immersed in that ALOHA state of mind.

I just. adore. the quiet times like that at Disney. They're so peaceful and so beautiful, and they stay with you longer than any souvenir or t-shirt. They have special kind of magic that's all their own.

Eventually I tore myself away and went back to Hawaii for a little breakfast.

I had some cornflakes and tea for breakfast. There was probably also a chocolate chip muffin involved. That’s a pretty safe guess.

These are my favorite tables in the lounge - the ones right up next to the window with the cozy sofas you can just sink into.

Then again...I do love the checkers tables up on the second floor. You just head up the stairs...

...and usually you'll have the whole area to yourself...

And the view out those big windows is just as good from above. In fact, it may be even more impressive...

I lingered over my tea and the checker board and watched the launches coming and going across the Seven Seas Lagoon. We had a late check-out, so there was no need to rush. Still, I took a first load of bags out to the car so it'd be quicker getting out later.

I've become really good over the years at taking a a picture really quickly with just one hand free while carrying about 17 bags. When I'm travelling with friends, they often don't even realize I stopped to take a picture, that's how quick I am. Yup. It's just mad skillz...

Monorail!

I couldn't resist just one more photo of the tropical foliage heading back into the resort!

The Great Ceremonial House was getting busy, and the Polynesian was waking up. I was still in wandering mode, and now that I didn't have any bags, I sauntered down past Captain Cook's and the arcade and out the doors on the West side of the resort.

It had occurred to me that if I really wanted to deserve the title of Polynesian Princess, I ought to know the resort thoroughly. I know the East side of the resort (the beach, the pools, the path to the TTC, the longhouses like Hawaii and Tokelau) like the back of my hand...but the West side I've never explored much. I've walked through of course, and I've tried out the hammock on the beach there, but I've never been in any of the longhouses...I wasn't even very sure of their names!

So I decided to dedicate the last hours exploring a little more around the Marina. I've always thought that most of the buildings on that side were suites and such and that you couldn't get into them without a key. Now I was determined to find out!

Right next to the Great Ceremonial House on the West side is Tonga. I like how they've got a covered walkway all the way to their door - and how the sign tries to divert you back to the lobby.

As I suspected, the door to Tonga didn't open when I approached it. But I had a golden key; it was worth a try, right? So I put my key in, not expecting success...

And the doors swooshed open.

Last edited by AGPrincess; 06-06-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #490
MEK
DIS Veteran

Very cool about the E-book! I really didn't know you had written those books. Congratulations.

Don't you just feel naked without your camera. A completely empty volcano pool definitely deserves multiple photos. What a gorgeous morning!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #491
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Wonderful pics.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #492
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Very cool about the E-book! I really didn't know you had written those books. Congratulations.

Don't you just feel naked without your camera. A completely empty volcano pool definitely deserves multiple photos. What a gorgeous morning!
Thanks! It's just the one book for now, but I'd love to put together some more scavenger hunts for the other parks and resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Wonderful pics.
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #494
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Congratulations on authoring an e-book! That is so exciting!

I love accompanying you on your meanderings around the resorts -- so peaceful!

Kathy
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #495
Miss Potts
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to see what's in Tonga! The suspense!

Read my PTR:
The Adventures of Miss Potts - PTR Fall 2013

1987 Hilton / 1989 FW / 1991 CBR / 1993 BC / 1995 WL / 1997 Poly / 1998 BWI / 2001 BC / 2005 Poly CL / May 2005 WL CL / Dec 2005 WL CL / August 2006 WL / Jan 2007 Poly CL/Contemporary CL / 2008 WL / Jan 2009 Poly CL / Oct/Nov 2010 AKL (Engaged!) / Oct 2011 DCL Magic (Honeymoon!) / Oct 2012 OKW/BLT / Feb 2013 WL Club / Sept/Oct 2013 Poly CL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: