Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #436
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

To-Do: Enjoy the Polynesian

It was pretty fabulous to be in the room by 10:30am! After breakfast the boys and I lugged all the bags up to the room, and by the time our trips to and from the car were complete, the afternoon snacks were out. So we relaxed from our labors with some tea and cookies.

Dart has recently fancied himself a mixologist - his newest creation is cranberry juice with orange juice and a little 2%. Like an orange julius...sorta...

ANYway, I'm pretty sure it all began at the King Kamehameha. I like to dilute the Pineapple Orange Guava juice with a little bit of water, and when Dart was this he was inspired. He decided to make "magic juice" from the club drinks. Said "magic juice" consisted of POG, lemonade, and sprite; and he insisted on making it every time we entered the club lounge. But it actually wasn't too bad!

I decided to go with something from the coffee machine...and those ones are only good mixed with cream. lol!

I have to admit...by this point in the trip, I was a little bit burnt out on photos. I had taking a bunch for the trip report obviously and my blog as well, but at last the shutter bug in me just gave out. I wanted to be still and just be. In today's world, it seems like so much of life is lived online - any clever thing you hear or say has to be tweeted, any pretty thing you see has to be photographed and put on instagram. Believe me, I'm as guilty of it as anyone, and there are certainly plenty of fun and positive things about the internet. But every so often you just have to step away from technology, and that's what I needed that afternoon.

I set up the little turtle table right in front of our lovely window, with a nice cappuccino and a chocolate chip cookie to munch on.

Families came and went on the beach - my own family came and went from the room, going to the pool or the arcade. But I just stayed, gazing out, reading a little (it was Lark Rise to Candleford - love!), writing a little (BY HAND!), and just thinking.

We didn't have any parks to go to that day...our to-do list had only one item: enjoy the Polynesian! After a bit i strolled over to the Great Ceremonial House to have a look around Boutiki.

I was hoping to find a new swimsuit, which I sadly didn't, but there were plenty of other pretty things to peruse.

I love these tiki torches.

There are so many nice places at the Polynesian to enjoy that it was difficult to pick which one to enjoy next! The lobby, the club lounge, the lovely room of course, and I hadn't even been out to the beach yet!

Just strolling around the grounds of the Poly is such a pleasure!

Obviously I felt a bit refreshed from my afternoon respite and was once again taking plenty of photos...

I love this secret courtyard outside the arcade. It's also right outside Captain Cook's, but I think people don't usually think to walk down here, so it's often quiet.

I'm kinda in love with this place, in case you hadn't noticed.

All too soon the afternoon had passed away, and as it was Saturday night, we headed off to mass. We went to the 4:30 at Corpus Christi in Celebration. I went there a lot while I lived in Florida, though I do still love Mary Queen of the Universe as well.

Unfortunately we came in late, and there were no seats visible, so we planned to just stand unobtrusively in the back. Well, an overly zealous though friendly usher would not allow this, and insisted on finding us seats, which turned out to be in the very front pew. It was a Mr.-Grant-comes-with-the-umbrella-for-Fanny* type moment. To paraphrase Mansfield Park, "There was nothing to be done but be very much ashamed and get into the pew as fast as possible."

In spite of the rocky start, it was a very nice mass. We sang two of my favorite hymns: "How Great Thou Art" and "Joyful, Joyful." Not that that is super pertinent to the trip report, but I wrote it in my Disney diary so I figured I'd include it! It's funny how much the music selection and the singer can affect the mass, but the music at Corpus Christi was great.

We could have stopped off to explore Celebration after mass, because it is a really cute town, but we were all eager to get back to the POLYENSIAN.

AHHHHHH. And, yes, I know I posted an almost-identical picture of these palm trees earlier, but in my opinion you can never have too many palm tree pictures.

It was nearly time for the torch lighting - it's a family tradition to watch the torch lighting, so we stopped off in the Great Ceremonial House for that. I think Athos and I could probably step in for the Hawaiian lady and the chief if ever they had to call in sick, because we know the script by heart. "YOU MAKE THE CHIEF SUPER HAPPY!!"

We always yell ALOOOOOOOHA the loudest. Plus it would be REALLY funny to see Athos trying to spin the flames.

The chief did a great job. He's obviously been practicing since the last time, when he set a bush on fire. We can never watch a torch lighting in the same way again...we're constantly wondering if he'll set another bush on fire. lol.

TA-DAAA!!

Pooh Bear came along for the torch lighting. Actually, I had just forgotten to bring him in earlier - I had him with all the luggage I was moving home, so I figured I'd see if mousekeeping might do anything fun with him at turn down!

No, we're not headed for Luau Cove. We're headed for Hawaii! It was nearly dinner time!

*In case you haven't read Mansfield Park in awhile, this is the passage I'm referring to:

Fanny, having been sent into the village on some errand by her aunt Norris, was overtaken by a heavy shower close to the Parsonage, and being descried from one of the windows endeavouring to find shelter under the branches and lingering leaves of an oak just beyond their premises, was forced, though not without some modest reluctance on her part, to come in. A civil servant she had withstood; but when Dr. Grant himself went out with an umbrella, there was nothing to be done but to be very much ashamed and to get into the house as fast as possible

Old 04-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #437
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Oh, what a lovely leisurely day at the Poly! Really, could there be anything better?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #438
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Lovely pictures of the Poly - what a nice way to spend a day!

That same fire guy -chief - was at the Luau when we went back in July 2010. He did a great job back then, but there were no bushes nearby to set fire to!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #439
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
Oh, what a lovely leisurely day at the Poly! Really, could there be anything better?
We are obviously of one mind. Nothing nicer than a day at the Poly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Lovely pictures of the Poly - what a nice way to spend a day!

That same fire guy -chief - was at the Luau when we went back in July 2010. He did a great job back then, but there were no bushes nearby to set fire to!
Definitely lovely! That same chief has been there for several years I think - he does a great job, I think we just caught him on an off day once.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #440
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics of the Poly!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #441
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics of the Poly!
Thanks! I don't think I will ever be done taking pics of that place.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #442
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

What a fun Poly day!!! It is such a beautiful resort to wander around, I love all of the palm trees and tiki torches
Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #443
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Beautiful pictures of the Poly, I can not wait to stay there in November

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #444
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post

All too soon the afternoon had passed away, and as it was Saturday night, we headed off to mass. We went to the 4:30 at Corpus Christi in Celebration. I went there a lot while I lived in Florida, though I do still love Mary Queen of the Universe as well.

Unfortunately we came in late, and there were no seats visible, so we planned to just stand unobtrusively in the back. Well, an overly zealous though friendly usher would not allow this, and insisted on finding us seats, which turned out to be in the very front pew. It was a Mr.-Grant-comes-with-the-umbrella-for-Fanny* type moment. To paraphrase Mansfield Park, "There was nothing to be done but be very much ashamed and get into the pew as fast as possible."

In spite of the rocky start, it was a very nice mass. We sang two of my favorite hymns: "How Great Thou Art" and "Joyful, Joyful." Not that that is super pertinent to the trip report, but I wrote it in my Disney diary so I figured I'd include it! It's funny how much the music selection and the singer can affect the mass, but the music at Corpus Christi was great.

[/I]
I can just picture your whole family sneaking into the front pew! As a pastoral musician and I can agree with this more. And I hope I will know when its time to quit singing because there are certainly people who don't.

Love your Poly pictures. I really needed a Poly fix today and knew I had to come straight here.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #445
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post

[/I]
Ahh yes! This is so true. I love to hear the hymns we sang at Mass when I was a child. You sang 2 of my favorites. I remember my Grandfather singing "How Great Thou Art" he sang it with a very deep voice.

Alas, our Parish rarely sings the traditional hymns.

I really loved the tour of the Poly! So where are you going to have dinner? The Club Lounge? Kona Cafe? 'Ohana?

Can't wait to find out

Planning our next trip...
Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #446
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

Yup officially I suck at commenting. But I'm back, again, and I'm ready to unload from those mammoth posts I've missed!

OH MY GOODNESS I am so excited to eat at o'hana now. So so so excited! That food looks beyond amazing! Bizarre question though... what did the noodles taste of? My brother absolutely hats peanuts and I've read their in a peanut sauce, can you taste it? He'd go mental if you could!!

Gah the Poly is just so darn pretty, the trees, the theming, so gorgeous! I want to be there on that beach right now! So much appreciation for that hotel!

Um, club section at the Poly, seriously, you guys have all the fun breakfast looks amazing though. I could probably sit and eat that all day, no kidding! The view too, stunning!

Amazing upgrade! You guys seriously had the best luck and the best trip! Couldn't agree with you more though on the technology burn out. I am like that every trip. I use it as my Internet free time. It's absolute bliss to just be away from it all for so long and just enjoy the time and be there. Kudos to you for doing it to, sometimes it is so, so needed.

Right. Yay. All caught up. I would say I'll never do it again but you know what I'm like (and what my job is like) but, I will be back and I a, SO excited for your upcoming ptr. You should definitely ask mamma snob to go in December too!

Miss you girly!

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #447
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
What a fun Poly day!!! It is such a beautiful resort to wander around, I love all of the palm trees and tiki torches
I so agree - it's one of the best wandering resorts there is. With a dole whip in hand and a hammock as your destination...Ahhhhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Beautiful pictures of the Poly, I can not wait to stay there in November
Thanks! You'll have a fabulous time - it's such a wonderful resort. Will you be there in late November? They have some fabulously tropical Christmas/holiday decorations!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #448
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Hi Emma! Long time no "see!"

I'm slowly catching up with your report via the links -- I'm at the point when you are checking into Art of Animation. Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading and enjoying!

I just got hooked on Downton Abbey this past season! Love it!

Kathy

* All caught up! I, for one, am very glad that you take so many pictures! Each one brings me right back to Disney!

Last edited by KathyRN137; 04-28-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #449
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I can just picture your whole family sneaking into the front pew! As a pastoral musician and I can agree with this more. And I hope I will know when its time to quit singing because there are certainly people who don't.

Love your Poly pictures. I really needed a Poly fix today and knew I had to come straight here.
LOL. It was pretty ridiculous! How cool - I'm sure you do a great job with your church's music. Awww, and I'm so glad you got your Poly fix - you definitely came to the right place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
Ahh yes! This is so true. I love to hear the hymns we sang at Mass when I was a child. You sang 2 of my favorites. I remember my Grandfather singing "How Great Thou Art" he sang it with a very deep voice.

Alas, our Parish rarely sings the traditional hymns.

I really loved the tour of the Poly! So where are you going to have dinner? The Club Lounge? Kona Cafe? 'Ohana?

Can't wait to find out
Awww, what a lovely memory to have. I know -- there are so many beautiful older hymns, I can't understand why some churches only pick the modern ones. A mix of the two would be so much nicer!

And you'll soon see!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #450
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhockeymad View Post
Yup officially I suck at commenting. But I'm back, again, and I'm ready to unload from those mammoth posts I've missed!

OH MY GOODNESS I am so excited to eat at o'hana now. So so so excited! That food looks beyond amazing! Bizarre question though... what did the noodles taste of? My brother absolutely hats peanuts and I've read their in a peanut sauce, can you taste it? He'd go mental if you could!!

Gah the Poly is just so darn pretty, the trees, the theming, so gorgeous! I want to be there on that beach right now! So much appreciation for that hotel!

Um, club section at the Poly, seriously, you guys have all the fun breakfast looks amazing though. I could probably sit and eat that all day, no kidding! The view too, stunning!

Amazing upgrade! You guys seriously had the best luck and the best trip! Couldn't agree with you more though on the technology burn out. I am like that every trip. I use it as my Internet free time. It's absolute bliss to just be away from it all for so long and just enjoy the time and be there. Kudos to you for doing it to, sometimes it is so, so needed.

Right. Yay. All caught up. I would say I'll never do it again but you know what I'm like (and what my job is like) but, I will be back and I a, SO excited for your upcoming ptr. You should definitely ask mamma snob to go in December too!

Miss you girly!
Miss you too!! I was so jealous when I saw your tweets about your Disney day in London - sounded like so much fun! OHANA was AMAZING! Hmmm...they tasted like regular tasty Chinese noodles to me - the peanut taste might've been there, but it wasn't super noticeable.

It is funny how much technology can take over your life these days! I absolutely love my strawberry (my ipod touch!), but it makes it hard to escape the internet! lol! Ahhh...wish I could convince them to go in December. That would be so fun to see you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Hi Emma! Long time no "see!"

I'm slowly catching up with your report via the links -- I'm at the point when you are checking into Art of Animation. Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading and enjoying!

I just got hooked on Downton Abbey this past season! Love it!

Kathy

* All caught up! I, for one, am very glad that you take so many pictures! Each one brings me right back to Disney!
Hey Kathy!! Nice to "see" you too! Hope your family's been doing well! I was a little sad at the characters they killed off last season, but I do still love Downton Abbey. Can't wait to see what they do with it next! Glad you're enjoying the TR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: