Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #421
kate14
Earning My Ears

There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are
all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails,
human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we
make a second better: we find comfort somewhere. -Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #422
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate14 View Post
There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are
all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails,
human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we
make a second better: we find comfort somewhere. -Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
If I could like your post, I would - more than once if possible. LOVE that quote, and that is just the thing I was thinking of! If the pineapple bread fails us, we will turn to the pot stickers - lol.

There's another good one from Pride and Prejudice: "A scheme of which every part promises delight, can never be successful; and general disappointment is only warded off by the defense of some little peculiar vexation."

Ahhh...gotta love Jane.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #423
scrapbookersdis
Yes, we are going to Disney World *again*!
It never occurred to me to wonder

So that's what that bread-pudding sauce was -- nectar of the gods!

Dessert and Jane Austen -- your TR couldn't get any better!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #424
jash08
Mouseketeer

Oh my that all looks awesome! I think we may have to go there next trip! Being from New Orleans originally, I LOVE bread pudding

2013 Trip Report -- Don't Put Your Hand on Mickey's Hat

2014 Trip Report -- It's Not a Doughnut, But It Will Do!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #425
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookersdis View Post
So that's what that bread-pudding sauce was -- nectar of the gods!

Dessert and Jane Austen -- your TR couldn't get any better!
Awww, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jash08 View Post
Oh my that all looks awesome! I think we may have to go there next trip! Being from New Orleans originally, I LOVE bread pudding
It was definitely delish! I hadn't had bread pudding much before Ohana's, but now I'm a fan.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #426
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Should have another update ready later today. More Polynesian pics coming up!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #427
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

I'm seriously late in finding your TR but this rainy Chicago day gave me the chance to catch up.

~ Loved your pics and reviews of both Contemporary and GF club levels.
~ Would love to stay at AoA but alas we are DVC so that is unlikely.
~ O'hana is one of our favorites and we just enjoyed it again on our Easter trip. While all of the food is wonderful that bread pudding is AMAZING.

Can't wait to read the rest and catch up on your blog.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #428
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish dancer View Post
I'm seriously late in finding your TR but this rainy Chicago day gave me the chance to catch up.

~ Loved your pics and reviews of both Contemporary and GF club levels.
~ Would love to stay at AoA but alas we are DVC so that is unlikely.
~ O'hana is one of our favorites and we just enjoyed it again on our Easter trip. While all of the food is wonderful that bread pudding is AMAZING.

Can't wait to read the rest and catch up on your blog.
Yay! Welcome - so glad to see you! Rainy afternoons are the best for DISing. The club levels were fabulous - and the Polynesian club level is coming up next! MMmmm...that bread pudding.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #429
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

An Evening in Poly Pics

We were SO FULL when we left Ohana. But then I donít think you could be anything but that when you leave Ohana! Luckily thereís the whole Polynesian to stroll around while you digestÖ

A stroll around the Polynesian is a pleasure at anytime, whether youíre stuffed or not! The sun was setting, casting a perfect golden glow over everything, and the worst of the heat was gone.

Athos was of course hunting for bugs and lizards.

Can you spot the lizard??

A worn and weathered map! Itíll be interesting to see if anything substantial changes with the renovations theyíre doing at the Polynesian these days. I think itís just new carpets and such, but every so often you hear someone threatening that theyíre going to do something major to the Poly. I donít want it ever to change!

Me in my tropical pink dress! I had even painted my nails to match:

The boys had some fabulous Hawaiian shirts too!

I want a hibiscus plant in my backyard. I wonder how hard it would be to get that tropical plant to grow up north...hmmm...

SO many pretty tropical flowers!

Purple ones too...

Look at how that one flower dips back down to the ground, so elegant and yet so tropical!

Love how the setting sun turned those windows to gold!

We were going to be checking in at the Polynesian Club the very next morning, so it was fun to have a sort-of pre-enjoyment of the Poly!! I did not get to stop by my hammock, but that's ok...there would be plenty of time for that.

Heading back towards the Great Ceremonial House and the parking lot.

See you soon palm trees!

We were staying at my brother's apartment that night. I had to make sure my stuff was all packed up and ready to load in the car; after a few nights at the Poly the trip would be over, and I would be moving back home! It's so weird to think that a year ago I was working at Disney World. It feels longer than that and shorter than that all at once. Time is such a fickle thing. Sometimes I miss being a cast member a lot, and at other times I'm really glad to be where I am now.

And of course, the great thing is that I can always go back to WDW as a guest. In fact, we've got a new trip coming up this summer in June! I can't wait!! I've got to get working on a PTR!

This, I know, was a pretty short update, so I'm hoping to get another one up today. Check-in at the King Kamehameha Club Level is next!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #430
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

ALOHA: Club Breakfast and an UPGRADE!

Alright. Guys. I want to show you one of my favorite sights in the whole world. Every time I see this scene before me, I just have to pause and do a little happy dance inside:

I wish I could HUG that tropical foliage, really I do. Itís always just when Iím just entering this path that it hits me Ė a feeling of complete Polynesian peace. It doesnít matter how many times Iíve been or how recently Iíve been back, it never fails to appear. When I enter under those palm branches and bamboo, I know Iím coming home.

When I was a cast member I would come over to the Polynesian all the time, just to hang out around the resort, but THIS time we was actually checking in! This time there was a beautiful breakfast set out in the King Kamehameha lounge, and it was waiting just for US!!

So on this particular morning, I skipped down my favoritest path, straight to the Hawaii building. Mama Snob got us checked in downstairs while the rest of us trooped up to start:

ALOOOOHA BREAKFAST!! Uh oh, looks like they're running low on the pineapple orange guava. Can I get a refill please?

Then of course we've got to move on the buffet!! What do you feel like? A bagel? Some toast?

Maybe a little cinnamon bun? No, wait, I know, a chocolate chip muffin. Yes. please.

Yeah, and I mean, I guess you could have some fruit too... You know, I just realized I'm kinda down on fruit on my blog and in my trip reports. For the record, I am a fruit fan; it's just at DISNEY there are so many other tasty things to eat!

This morning for instance, like, right before I started writing this update, I had a banana for breakfast. And it was nice. But I wish it could've been a Polynesian muffin instead...

There was oatmeal too, with plenty of lovely toppings. Occasionally at Disney, especially towards the end of a trip when I know I've been eating so many delicous but probably terribly fattening things, I'm seized by this insane idea that I should be eating healthy. Apparently I felt that way this morning, because I have a picture of a bowl of oatmeal that was apparently mine.

But then, with that view, it almost doesn't matter what you're eating!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh. I could just sit there forever. Or at least for a very long time.

Mama Snob soon came up with our packet and golden room keys, and she was looking excited. Turns out the room was ready, so we headed down the hall to check in out. First she puts the key into a room on the righthand side of the hallway.

The rooms on the right are all garden view, the ones on the left are water/castle view. We always stay garden view, because it's a lot cheaper. About eight years ago we were upgraded to a castle view, but we never had been since. When you stay with a CM rate, you almost never get upgraded - they save the upgrades for the guests who are paying rack rate, which makes total sense.

ANYway, the key wasn't working, so I figured Mama must've gotten the room number wrong. But then suddenly, she turns around, walks to the other side of the hallway, and says "Maybe a water view would be nicer."

SAY WHAT?

She puts in the key.

AND THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN.

SAY WHAAAAT?!??

IS THAT THE CASTLE RIGHT THERE OUTSIDE MY ROOM???!?

The impossible had actually happened, and we got an upgrade!! EEEeeek!

Look at that gorgeous white beach! Look at it RIGHT THERE!!

I loved the palm trees outside the window, but they did partially obscure the view of the castle - you had to kneel down a bit to see it. But hey, I'm not complaining!

Once we could get over the view, then we were able to enjoy the rest of the room!

I read on the DIS (in the Disney Frump TR!) that the rooms in Hawaii have gotten a facelift recently. And I was still getting used to the darker colors and turtles and lamenting the loss of the bamboo canopies - time goes way too fast sometimes. Not sure what I think of the new decor - they left the furniture mostly the same, the bedspreads are white, and the headboard is a slightly lighter brown. It does brighten the space up...

But then I liked this look on the Polynesian too.

These closets are my favorite.

My brother Porthos immediately claimed this chair as his own, which he always seems to do when we stay at the Poly. I once saw this chair for sale at Property Control (the cast member store), and was seriously tempted to buy one for me and one for Porthos. But I resisted.

A Polynesian painting...

I love that sink. And having that mirror to get ready in the mornings makes me feel like a Polynesian princess!

Toiletries...they had Tink on them!

Oh, and did I mention the view? You could even see the Grand reflected in the mirror!

More Polynesian exploring and King Kamehameha relaxing coming up!!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #431
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

I have been waiting for your cl poly part! Wow great upgrade. That would be so cool. I hope maybe we will get that lucky in September too! I cant wait to read more.

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #432
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Wow! What an amazing upgrade! Someday DH and I will stay at the Polynesian. It is our favorite Deluxe Resort.

Planning our next trip...
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #433
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
I have been waiting for your cl poly part! Wow great upgrade. That would be so cool. I hope maybe we will get that lucky in September too! I cant wait to read more.
It never hurts to ask - my mom was chatting with the CM and mentioned that we had been upgraded to the water view long ago, and he made it happen! Plenty more club pics coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
Wow! What an amazing upgrade! Someday DH and I will stay at the Polynesian. It is our favorite Deluxe Resort.
Mine too. Hope you get to stay there soon!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #434
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful upgrade! Oh man. Upgrades are pretty dang awesome.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #435
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
What a beautiful upgrade! Oh man. Upgrades are pretty dang awesome.
Upgrades are the best. One of the finest kinds of Disney magic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: