Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #151
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Joining in (a little late)

I'm loving your TR so far!
So jealous of all your resort hopping, what a great line up!

We had a similar bus driver experience leaving the parks one day.
He must have been new as he took quite a few wrong turns and started taking up out of property rather than back to POP!
He managed to loop back around and figure it out eventually though and everyone had a good laugh about it.

So excited to hear about the rest of your trip!
YAY! Welcome!! lol, glad you got back to Pop, I guess everybody's new once, even Disney bus drivers! Update on its way!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #152
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Sadly I do not have an update ready quite yet - although I will certainly have one up tomorrow! - but as I know some of you guys are Jane Austen fans too, I do have a fun story I have to share.

So I'm working part-time at Barnes and Noble over the holidays, and today a girl about my age came to the customer service desk asking for a book recommendation. Apparently she hasn't read much of anything in the past few years, and she didn't know what she was looking for at all, she just wanted a book to read.

I couldn't resist.

I told her all about Jane Austen and led her to the copies of Pride and Prejudice (which she said she had never heard of ). She seemed like she liked the idea and was really going to read it. I guess I could've just pointed her to one of the more modern bestsellers, but maybe I've created a new lifelong JA fan...I hope so!

ANYway, if you're looking for something Disney to read tonight, you should check out the post about BOMA that I just put up on my blog. I felt full just from writing it, lol! Sadly I did not go to Boma on this past trip, but a review of Rose and Crown is coming up tomorrow!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #153
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

At the Rose and Crown

SO. Were in Norway. Devouring a troll horn. I'm pretty sure I also ducked into the gift shop for a liberal spritz of Laila. Whenever Im in Norway, I love to get like five of the little perfume papers, give them a nice spray, then put them in my purse  itll smell like Laila for weeks.

What with our trek around the world and the heat and the crowds, we were all feeling pretty fatigued. So we decided to check in early to Rose & Crown. They claimed it wouldnt be a too long wait, although they said it was really busy inside so theyd probably have to seat us outside. OK, fine, at least well be sitting!

So we took our pager and went to comb the gift shops. In retrospect, we shouldve done the Agent Perry mission while we were waiting for dinner, but we didnt know wed be waiting so long! At least the line for Pooh & Tigger was short, so we hopped in line behind a group of five Brazilian tour group girls.

Each of them had to get a picture individually and an autograph have some one-on-one time with the characters and then of course they had to have a photo of the whole group. And then of every possible group of just two of them or just three. It was like something from a sitcom. I totally understand taking your time with characters  too often youre rushed through with only time to snap a picture  but this was verging on ridiculous.

Still, it did give us time to admire our surroundings. The meet and greet used to be a more generic British room/library I think (I remember Mary Poppins suitcase used to be in there), but now it is Christopher Robins bedroom, cute!

Christopher Robin has a window seat in his room. I'm jealous.

I also admired the little seating area and the ceiling by the kidcot station...

They've got some pretty impressive plasterwork here!

We met Pooh and Tigger, got some pictures. They were very cute and Dart liked it. We bid our friends from the 100 Acre Woods farewell, but the pager still had not gone off.

At least England is a pretty place to wait...

I was getting kinda annoyed, because this had happened before. My older brother Aramis and I had gone to lunch at R&C a few months earlier  we waited half an hour, finally asked what was going on, were told our pager had gone already (it definitely hadnt, and we had been in the England area the whole time), had to wait twenty more minutes and then finally got in.

THIS time we just sat outside the gift shop, right across from Rose & Crown, so that we could be sure the pager would go. After forty-five minutes, it finally started buzzing. We did end up having a table inside (although half the tables inside were empty...), so I guess thats what we were waiting for  but I wish theyd told us we were waiting for an inside table. They made it seem like wed be seated right away when we checked in. URGH.

ANYway. At least we were good and hungry for our dinner!

What to choose, what to choose...

We devoured our basket of rolls SO quickly. They were nice rolls.

Luckily our server, Daniel brought us out fresh ones! Daniel was very friendly and chatty  apparently his dream is to be an animator, he did us a drawing of Peter Pan on a dessert menu and let us keep it  but he was pretty slow. With AC and a cold drink of water and a place to sit and the rolls to eat, though, the wait wasnt so onerous this time.

Mom and I decided to split the beef tenderloin and fried fish. (This is my Mom's pic...I brought my little elph instead of lugging along my nice camera, and though my elph does great outside, its not so great in low light). The meal was really good  I'm willing to eat fish when its fried, and this one was really nice. The sauce that went with the tenderloin was really tasty. The meat itself wasnt bad, but it was a little chewy and a little fatty.

Athos got the cottage pie (I had tried that for lunch the previous time...it is quite nice).

We were excited to try the sticky toffee pudding of which we had heard great things, so of course we were getting dessert! We got one sticky toffee pudding and one jaffa tart. When I lived in Ireland, I lived off of jaffa cakes and mcvitties digestives, so I was excited for both sweets!

It was while we were waiting for the desserts that our servers slowness became really apparent. They took FOREVER to appear. But we found ways to amuse ourselves. I enjoyed eavesdropping on the table next to ours and trying to decide how they were related...I think it was an aunt and uncle with their neice, and they were reminiscing about when they had moved to Florida twenty years ago.

Then Mom and Athos started pretending they were in a time warp  every few minutes, in the middle of conversation, they would just randomly freeze for about twenty seconds, then they would continue talking as if nothing had happened.

Were just weird like that.

We came out of our time warp once the desserts appeared!! I was thinking the sticky toffee pudding might be a little overhyped, but it was really tasty. I wouldnt quite put it in the same league as the ooey gooey toffee cake, but it was definitely a delicious dessert.

The jaffa tarts were really good too  lovely chocolate ganache, soft orange cake, tangy raspberry sauce. I loved it!

Dart had a big ice cream sundae called a knickerbocker glory!

In conclusion, we had a good time at the Rose & Crown, but we werent blown away. The service was sub par, but the food was tasty.

As it turned out, Illuminations was just about to start when we were paying our bill  perfect timing! Rose & Crown has a private viewing terrace  a roped off area just down from the little garden with seating for counter service/beer people. There was not much space, and we came in with only five minutes to spare; but the people already there were very accommodating. Everyone made room and didnt seem to mind being smushed in like sardines. I think it was because we had all only waited 10 minutes or less for this prime spot, not an hour, like you wouldve been waiting anywhere else around the lagoon!

It really was a prime spot too!

We were actually close enough to see some of the videos on the globe! I think that's a conductor and a person playing the piano. Or it might be a waterfall and a walrus. OK, I guess it's difficult to tell no matter how close you are!

It was a great way to end the day!

Last edited by AGPrincess; 11-21-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #154
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

luvin the updates. I want food now all that food looks yummy
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #155
MEK
DIS Veteran

I am in the no picture viewing mode right now but just wanted to comment that I have seen Illuminations from the outside seating at R&C and it is just awesome.

45 minutes to wait is a little much. I've had the filet and fish and really enjoyed it. I'm due for a return visit to R&C.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #156
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

It stinks that you waited so long . . . but the Rose and Crown is quite delicious!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #157
MiaBella05
DIS Veteran

joining in
Caribbean Beach - Oct. '08
Riverside - May '09
Yacht Club CL - Aug. '14, Oct. '14

Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #158
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Let me just say that your Laila idea? Genius.

That wait doesn't sound fun! I'm glad you said that it seems to be a common theme though, because now I know if I ever want to eat there that I should book an ADR for when the place first opens.

AHHHH, IllumiNations. Love love LOVE IT.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #159
MEK
DIS Veteran

That last picture is really cool.

Oh Yeah - and the food looks great!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #160
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

too bad for the long wait for R&C. It is someplace I'd like to try someday.

I like the idea about Laila too - I have been known to do stuff like that! Take full advantage of the free samples, I say!!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #161
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Ha! Love the waterfall and walrus bit.... and the eavesdropping!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #162
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
luvin the updates. I want food now all that food looks yummy
Thanks! Disney food always makes me hungry too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I am in the no picture viewing mode right now but just wanted to comment that I have seen Illuminations from the outside seating at R&C and it is just awesome.

45 minutes to wait is a little much. I've had the filet and fish and really enjoyed it. I'm due for a return visit to R&C.
Isn't it a lovely view from R&C? It was too bad about the wait, but we enjoyed the fireworks and the food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
It stinks that you waited so long . . . but the Rose and Crown is quite delicious!
We did like the food, and hopefully they were just having a bad night with service.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #163
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBella05 View Post
joining in

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Let me just say that your Laila idea? Genius.

That wait doesn't sound fun! I'm glad you said that it seems to be a common theme though, because now I know if I ever want to eat there that I should book an ADR for when the place first opens.

AHHHH, IllumiNations. Love love LOVE IT.
Thanks! I often put a few Laila papers into my notebook too, the pages keep the scent for months! Someday, maybe, I'll actually break down and just buy a bottle of Laila.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
That last picture is really cool.

Oh Yeah - and the food looks great!
Thanks - that one was from my Mom's camera!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #164
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
too bad for the long wait for R&C. It is someplace I'd like to try someday.

I like the idea about Laila too - I have been known to do stuff like that! Take full advantage of the free samples, I say!!
DEFINITELY. When Disney offers something (gasp!) free, you take it and run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Ha! Love the waterfall and walrus bit.... and the eavesdropping!
lol...it can be really fun to listen in on people's conversations at the parks - you never know what you're going to hear! And that globe - I just can never figure out what the images are supposed to be!!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #165
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

That stinks that you had a long wait and then pokey service. At least you guys seemed to make the best of it. I have to say that your food looks good, we've had one meal at R&C and it was beyond awful. I'm not usually one to write off Disney restaurants, but this was so bad I've had no interest in returning. Maybe I'm being hasty and should give it a second chance.

Glad you got a good fireworks view!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: