Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
glocon
DIS Veteran

HHN- order of houses

Hi all! Just trying to make a firm decision about tickets. I am trying to decide whether to get tickets for 2 nights, or tickets for one night with an EP. We would go either 10/11- a Thursday with EP or 10/11 and 10/12 without EP.

My question is this. If we went for the 2 days, could we start out going to houses we did not get to on the first night, or are there only a few houses open at first. I guess I should mention that we would be doing the S&S so what I am really wondering is if there are only certain houses open at first for S&S or would all the houses be open and we could go to the ones we didn't get to before the masses rolled in after S&S.

I hope this question makes sense. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocon View Post
Hi all! Just trying to make a firm decision about tickets. I am trying to decide whether to get tickets for 2 nights, or tickets for one night with an EP. We would go either 10/11- a Thursday with EP or 10/11 and 10/12 without EP.

My question is this. If we went for the 2 days, could we start out going to houses we did not get to on the first night, or are there only a few houses open at first. I guess I should mention that we would be doing the S&S so what I am really wondering is if there are only certain houses open at first for S&S or would all the houses be open and we could go to the ones we didn't get to before the masses rolled in after S&S.

I hope this question makes sense. Thanks!
i put up a map in the thread, hhn website.
you can see the pattern to follow in that for the houses.

so you can go either thursday with the epp or go thur and friday w/out the ep.

depends on how much you want to spend ...

the ep and non peak night, compared to, 1 non peak and 1 peak night tickets.

if you are really into hhn, go with 2 nights. you'll be able to do repeats on houses that you were wowed in then.

if not, do thur w/ ep.

the same 3 houses will open early for the ones in the holding area/sNs inside the park.

once the park opens most of the houses will be open.
possible for a house to open at 7:00 instead of 6:30.
not saying that will be the case, but have seen that happen in years past.

7 houses this year compared to 8 in the past.
bill and teds and a show, penny circus.

if you started w/ the sNs holding area, you should be able to do half of the houses before you have any lines.

if you go two nights, instead of night #2, head towards the houses you did not see the first night there.

thursdays usually have less crowds than fridays.
without the hhn season open at this point, anything can change based on past years crowd levels.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
glocon
DIS Veteran

I looked at the map you posted, sure wish I had the real thing in front of me. Nothing like the feel of a shiny new map in your hand! The houses really are all over the park. And the P&T is off on its own in the corner. So looking forward to that!

Where on that map is the S&S holding area?

I am so excited to make plans- we have never done HHN before-but no one in my house likes to make plans with me so I have to get excited with all of you on the DIS.

I can't believe that HHN starts in less than 3 weeks!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Where on that map is the S&S holding area?
The S & S area is two streets over from the house marked "F" which is Gothic. That's probably going to be the S & S house...it will open when the holding area is released.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Far warning: if you follow the S&S crowd to the first house that opens, they will continue in a circuit that keeps the lines kind of long, plus you'll be waiting for the houses to open.

If you wait in the S&S area a bit longer, you can usually head over towards the back of the park (ET/Kidzone area) and then go to that house, then the tent houses, then the disaster queue house all in an hour (approx) or so. Then you will have to wait for the soundstage houses. If lucky, you won't have more than a 30 min wait per house.

This has been my method and has been super effective.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
glocon
DIS Veteran

THIS
is why
I love
the DIS
!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
glocon
DIS Veteran

By the way- what are tent houses and what is the Disaster queue house. What does that mean?

I want to be in the know before our first visit. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
By the way- what are tent houses and what is the Disaster queue house. What does that mean?
There are two houses (Alice Cooper and Penn & Teller) that are located behind The Simpsons and MIB which are constructed in what looks like tents. No...they are not camping type tents but much, much bigger. You won't notice you're in a tent once you're inside.

There is usually a house (The Walking Dead) located in the back queue are of Disaster...which is what they're doing again this year. You'll enter this house behind the Beetlejuice stage area and exit near the entrance of Disaster.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
glocon
DIS Veteran

I really appreciate the Dark Marauder's tip about waiting in the S&S area and heading towards some of the other houses. If we only went for 2 days, would a good idea be to follow the crowd the first day and get those 3 houses done, than on the second night follow DM's suggestion and go the other way? It seems like a good idea to see it all without buying and ep or waiting in long lines.

If the above was what we ended up doing, could we get the houses done at the begining of the two nights then spend the rest of the night seeing the shows and scare zones?

Is there anything else that is not to be missed at HHN?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
xApril
DIS Veteran

A lot of people on this site always go to the Finnegan's S&S area, but I always opt for the one in Kidzone. It's nice to be able to hit the first three houses, and last year when Jaws queue had a house, we were able to do four houses within an hour or so. We were able to finish all eight houses fairly quickly and then go back and do other houses and check out the zones. I'd definitely recommend the Kidzone S&S area as it's usually less crowded.
xApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #11
glocon
DIS Veteran

If you use the kidzone s&s area vs. the finnegans area, do you end up touring the houses in a different order? Is that why you prefer the kidzone area?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xApril View Post
A lot of people on this site always go to the Finnegan's S&S area, but I always opt for the one in Kidzone. It's nice to be able to hit the first three houses, and last year when Jaws queue had a house, we were able to do four houses within an hour or so. We were able to finish all eight houses fairly quickly and then go back and do other houses and check out the zones. I'd definitely recommend the Kidzone S&S area as it's usually less crowded.
I might try this once this year. I guess I'm a creature of habit since I always go to the main holding area.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
idgy
Mouseketeer

Enjoying this thread and all the great info! I think we'll do HHN 2 nights. Maybe we'll do Finnegans holding area one night and Kidzone the other.

What are the dining options in the Kidzone waiting area?
idgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idgy View Post
Enjoying this thread and all the great info! I think we'll do HHN 2 nights. Maybe we'll do Finnegans holding area one night and Kidzone the other.

I can't think of any restaurants open in that area that would be open during S & S. I can't imagine KidZone Pizza Company being open during that time. You might have to eat either before the park closes for the day hours or wait until HHN starts and take a break during the event. Maybe that's the trade off.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by idgy View Post

When I did the Passholder event last year, I can tell you that there were no dining options in the Kidzone holding area. (I was kinda disappointed I couldn't grab a drink or anything while waiting since even the HHN vendors in the area hadn't opened yet until after the houses were opened in the holding area)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: