Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Rhetts1stWDW
Earning My Ears

Toddler Food

We have a delivery set up from Garden Grocer to get some drinks and diary for the room. I also plan on packing food in our checked bag for our son who will be 19 months during the trip. I am just curious what kinds of snacks do you bring for your little ones? At home he eats cheese, yogurt, fresh fruit, crackers etc. I was thinking a lot of gerber graduate products but the meals especially need to be warmed up before he can eat them which might be problematic.
Rhetts1stWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

My DD3 is very picky and will not eat out at restaurants at all (read does not eat pizza, hamburger, chicken nuggets, fries) I have never tried the gerber graduates, but my plan for her in july is to order snacks and peanut butter, bread, honey from GG. They have strawberry yogurt on many of the menues so she will likely have that at the restaurants, oh and I am bringing instant oatmeal (POR has coffee post so I will just run hot water through it). If he already likes the graduates I would try soaking it in the container in HOT as you can get water for as long as possible might be warm enough for him (try at home first).

Last edited by goingtowdwwithkiddos; 05-27-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling ughhhh
goingtowdwwithkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
set1208
Mouseketeer

If your toddler eats well at home, i'd avoid the gerber graduates microwave meals. They are disgusting and smell like dog food. I bought them once and my kids wouldn't even look at it because I make them fresh food all the time.

Maybe order some of the dole fruit cups packed in juice, uncrustables pb&j sandwiches, cheese cracker sandwiches, yogurt raisins. Keep up on the fiber while you're away so he doesn't get constipated. We like the chocolate chip fiber one bars.
May 2010.....ASMu Mother/Daughter Trip for DD's 10th Birthday
February 2009.....CBR family trip
October 2004.....Pop Century, MNSSHP with me and DD
set1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

When dd was 16 months we ordered some things for her from garden grocer - Cheerios, yogurt, milk, goldfish. She ate pretty much what we did for meals. We may have ordered her some chicken once or twice. You can get fruit in many places at wdw if you don't want to order it
Gracie09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

It was always easy for me to track down carbs my kid would eat, but other stuff was more of a challenge

Ella's or Happy baby squeezie pouches are great to get in some fruits and veggies. They have some interesting combos. Anything with sweet potato or butternut squash was a winner.

Freeze dried fruit continues to be a big hit ( Wal mart sells a brand with Mickey and Donald on the pack)

Just Tomatoes freeze dried peas and corn are always a big hit--can be ordered from Amazon if you can't find them at home. Crunchy and yummy and VEGGIES.

From Garden Grocer, some plain yogurt and string cheese and peanut butter would be musts, as would a couple pouches if tuna and maybe some black beans (odd, I know, but they were great snack food when the kid was little. Won't touch them now. Whatever.) GG also has pre shelled hard boiled eggs, which are great if she'd eat them.

Overall, I'd skip the graduates. Lots of sodium. You're better off with some good foods to supplement that will keep her fueled up but not sugar crazed.

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
hawaiialoha
Earning My Ears

Location: Originally from Hawaii. Now living on the east coast. Feel free to ask me any questions about any of the Hawaiian islands!

There are a lot of pouch packaged pureed food (organic and non-organic) -- those have been our lifesaver for all trips! Brands include: Ella's Kitchen, Happy Tot, Peter Rabbit Organics, Earth's Best Organics, & Plum Organics.

Most of them come in some kind of fruit-vegetable mixture, but there are many varieties coming out that include more "hearty" mix-ins including oatmeal, sweet potato, corn, grains, quinoa. But, they pretty much taste like good pureed fruit! I've recently seen "complete meals" which include pureed meats mixed in.

The pouches could be immersed in a cup of hot water (that you could ask the server for...like for hot tea). That way, the food in the pouch can be warmed a bit. But, my picky son would just eat them at room temperature.

You can carry them around in the diaper bag with no refrigeration because they are sealed until you open them. After you unscrew the top, your son just sucks the food from the top spout.

In a large Rubbermaid container for our suitcase, I packed large ziploc bags filled with his favorite cereal, granola mix with dried fruit, and oatmeal square bars. I think our son was older than yours when I did this, though? When he was younger, we mostly packed Cheerios, crackers, and pretzels. Soft toddler granola/oatmeal bars too. I think Earth's Best makes strawberry ones (with the Sesame Street characters on the box front).

I also ordered from Garden Grocer -- bread, peanut butter & jelly, string cheese, ham, american cheese, & hard boiled eggs.

At the park, we packed & brought a combo of the items above and supplemented with food off our plates. Disney is starting to carry more healthy options now, so it's easier to pick stuff up fresh from the service counters.

Hope you guys have fun!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

We made pb&j in the room each day and brought they. Uncrustables have HFCS so we avoided those for meals.

Annie's makes individual serving packs of cheddar bunnies and the other bunnies. Costco sells them in like 25 packs. Same with Annie's fruit snacks.

We also did fruit cups, annies granola bars, cheese sticks. We brought a small cooler bag with stuff and the coconut milk that our DD drinks.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Another vote to skip the Gerber Graduates. Blech! I'd much rather feed my small people small portions of people food. Your ideas look great. Don't forget some fresh fruit- my 3 year old has a banana habit, personally.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

When my kids were little, I brought the individual fruit cups for them, peanut butter crackers, goldfish.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtowdwwithkiddos View Post
They have strawberry yogurt on many of the menues
Just a heads up that I was going to finish my DD's yogurt last week because she wouldn't eat it (and likes it at home) and it was awful! Tasted like cotton candy. So if your child prefers traditional strawberry yogurt they may not like WdW strawberry yogurt at all.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmj9801 View Post
Just a heads up that I was going to finish my DD's yogurt last week because she wouldn't eat it (and likes it at home) and it was awful! Tasted like cotton candy. So if your child prefers traditional strawberry yogurt they may not like WdW strawberry yogurt at all.
Oh thank you good point now that you mention it she prefers Greek so she may not like it. I do not think any kids have starved at disney so she will have to figure it out. Last meal out (we eat out 2-3 times a year when not on vacation) was olivegarden for my birthday and she ate nothing no bread no salad no pasta she is spoiled when it comes to food............
goingtowdwwithkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
DznyGal
April 2010 Disney Bride!

Gerber has yogurt that doesn't need to be refrigerated until it is opened, my son is good about eating the whole thing and if he doesn't we throw the uneaten portion away. This has been a savor for me lately since he is a picky eater. I throw it in my purse and he always has a meal as we always have snacks with us as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

not sure about baby centers but restaurant will not be able to warm up toddler food for you. will have to use a cup of hot water.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

My 18mo has refused any baby/toddler prepared food and pouches since about 8 months old. It wasn't easy to feed him in WDW at 13 and 15mo. We also got a garden grocer delivery so at least he had his yogurt, cheerios and cheese. I found hard boiled eggs in the resort gift shop, and apple sauce at counter service places. He won't eat chicken nuggets, etc., so I just had to make do there. It wasn't easy, he likes lots of steamed vegetables which are nearly impossible to find there.

Also, if your toddler drinks milk be aware they don't sell it at carts and walk up locations (like for ice cream), so if you will be needing it get it at the larger counter service locations when you see them.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
EllNat11
Mouseketeer

We stay in a 1BR villa so we had a kitchen and cooked most dinners in the room - but for when we were out and about we packed a cooler with chopped up organic lunch meat, cold chicken, daiya cheese (DD is dairy/egg/peanut/treenut allergic), cheerios, crackers, dehydrated fruit, fruit cups in juice, applesauce cups, soy yogurt, fruit snacks and shelf stable soy milk.

While out and about we'd pick up the containers of fresh fruit and chop up for her, peel the breading off of an order of allergy chicken strips or chop up a hamburger.

When she was a bit younger we brought a bunch of the Ellas Kitchen and plum organics pouches for her to eat.

Good luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: