Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
hkkatie
Earning My Ears

Twins!

About this time last year, I was dreaming about taking my two girls, (who are now 10 & 6) to Disneyworld for a big vacation this summer. Perfect ages to go, right? But then in the Fall we got the surprise of our lives when we found out we were having twins! (We found out that it was twins at 21 weeks!). My twins are now 3 months old and obviously going this summer is not an option anymore, but what about next year when the babies are 18 months old? Am I insane to try and do a big trip like that (at least 8 or 9 days) with two little toddlers? I want to go when my older girls are still young enough to enjoy it, but at the same time I know that the babies won't have any memories of it at all. But if we wait until the babies are 5 or 6 years old, my oldest daughter might be too old for it. She says she will still want to go then, but who really knows, right? We currently live overseas, so when I say it's a big trip, I mean it. It would be nice to go when we only have to pay for 2 kids instead of 4! My hubby would be there to help out, of course, but would it be just too stressful with two little toddlers?

Thoughts? Any experiences with this sort of age gap or twins?

Last edited by hkkatie; 05-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.
hkkatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

When our twins were 17 months old, we went to Disneyworld with Dh, me, and our other kids who were 19, 17, 8 and 5. To be quite honest, our older kids don't help much with the little ones, so almost all of the "work" fell to Dh and I.

We were there 12 days (I think?--it's been a few years) and stayed at Bonnet Creek in a 2 bedroom suite which had a full kitchen, dining area with full table and a family room. It also had a shuttle that we used to get to the parks. VERY nice. I would highly recommend staying there.

We used the option of the child swap when the babies were not able to ride the bigger rides. There were a lot of things they could do though!

We brought a double stroller. When one parent is staying behind while another is on a ride with the older kids, you NEED to have a double so you can get both babies around by yourself. Take the time to walk around in the air conditioned shops or get a snack for yourself and the babies.

The bonus of having a stroller along is that you can use it to carry all of your gear! Disney lets you bring in food and even small, soft coolers filled with ice and soda/juice. It's nice to have snacks and cold drinks right there on hand when the kids (or mom and dad, lol) are getting hot or hungry.

Will this be your only trip ever to Florida? If so, maybe waiting 5 or 6 years would be a good idea. My older kids still love Disney, they are now 19 and 21. The babies won't get much out of it, they are just kinda along for the ride We took ours to Disneyland again when they were 22 months and again 2 weeks ago. Our twins didn't have fun or really "get it" until this last trip.

If you want to come next year though, it would be a good time to do it! The babies will still be young enough that they won't need tickets. If you can, try going in September or October, even if you have to pull the kids out of school. The heat is unbearable during the summer, and the crowds are awful.

editing to add, it was so much easier for us when our twins were 17 months compared to just turning 3! When they were in diapers, we had control over when to change them or when they got out of the stroller. We spent SO much time 2 weeks ago looking for potties and chasing around two strong-willed girls who didn't want to sit in a stroller anymore that I almost wished they were still little!

Last edited by ORMom2Four; 05-21-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: add info
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
brooke789
Mouseketeer

We just returned from a trip with our almost 3 year old twins (34months to be exact). This was their and my first every trip to WDW. Honestly, before we went (even reading so much here, books and other places) I just didn't know what to expect. The trip was absolutely perfect. 2 was such an awesome age to take them. They enjoyed all of the rides, characters, shows, etc. It was hard for them to make it to fireworks/shows at nighttime, but we were able to do it 2 nights of our 6.

Everything was so great that I'd recommend to anyone to make a trip with a 2-year old. They were so easy (and they're not easy children generally) and just had the time of their lives.
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
hkkatie
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate the input!

This would probably be our only trip there in the foreseeable future. Dh is not a big disney fanatic like me and the girls, and he hates spending money, lol, so I don't know that I could get him to go again anytime soon. So would it be better to take the babies next summer when they are 18 months old, or the following year when they are 2.5 years old, or just wait until they are like 5 years old?

Like I said previously, we live overseas, so coming during the school year would be a lot harder. Air tickets are too expensive to justify coming to the US for only one or two weeks, so we have to come during the summer when we can stay in the US for 4 or 5 weeks.

Also, all of our family lives on the West coast, so we don't really have any reason to visit FL besides Disney, so if we did go again, it would probably be several years down the line.

Thanks again for the input so far. I'd love to hear more people's experiences!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
hkkatie
Earning My Ears

This would probably be our only trip there in the foreseeable future. Dh is not a big disney fanatic like me and the girls, and he hates spending money, lol, so I don't know that I could get him to go again anytime soon. So would it be better to take the babies next summer when they are 18 months old, or the following year when they are 2.5 years old, or just wait until they are like 5 years old?

Like I said previously, we live overseas, so coming during the school year would be a lot harder. Air tickets are too expensive to justify coming to the US for only one or two weeks, so we have to come during the summer when we can stay in the US for 4 or 5 weeks.

Also, all of our family lives on the West coast, so we don't really have any reason to visit FL besides Disney, so if we did go again, it would probably be several years down the line.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
kbsparks
Mouseketeer

I took my twins when they were 3 but at the time I also had a 15 month old. The 15 month old was waaaay easier that the 2 three year olds. He was so happy and easy to deal with.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I think since they will be 18 months I would go for it. BUT then again I am a disney addict I have twins and they also were #3 and #4 so I remember how difficult it could be but like you said if you wait #1 and #2 will not enjoy it as much and that for me is all the more reason to go.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkkatie View Post

I would suggest coming next summer rather than waiting until they are two and a half. I found that it was easier to deal with my twins in the parks when they were younger than when they get older--may be potty trained/training, are making more demands/throwing more tantrums, etc., Mine also slept better in their stroller when they were younger than when they were 2.5
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
TMEF23
Mouseketeer

We took our twin boys last year at 20 months. We had a wonderful time, but did move at a much slower pace. They are our only children, so I am not sure how it would have worked out with having bigger children. My boys took their naps in their stroller everyday and we never stayed late for fireworks/parade. If your twins napped in their stroller, then your husband and yourself could take turns riding some of the other rides with your other two children. Whenever my boys napped, I would just walk around the park, enjoy people watching and my DH would ride some of the rides we couldn't take my twins on. The nice part with Disney is that so many of the rides are good for children of all ages, so when your twins are awake/active you could make sure that you are in an area where all of you can go on certain attractions.

We stayed at the Yacht Club which worked out perfectly for us. There was plenty to do right at the resort and so many dining options at the World showcase. We are taking them again this year and they will be 32 months old (just over 2.5) and have decided to stay on a the monorail. I'm excited to be able to try different things this year since they are a whole year older and able to stay up later. They also take a much later nap than last year, so we will be able to do more in the mornings and then come back to the hotel and swim.

TMEF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
dlove28
Missin' WDW

Hi, we are going with our twins who will be 23months and our 5 year old.
Just wanted to tell you to do a lot of research on resort options. Once you get past four it seems limited, but there really are a lot of options. Don't forget to price compare renting DVC points through a site like Davidson vacation club.
dlove28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
twinmom319
Mouseketeer

The issue with waiting a long time means that the oldest one will be a lot older before you get to go...
When my twins were about a year my sister announced she was having a destination wedding --- so we got to take our 15 month old twins to Cancun Mexico! Not necessarily something I would have planned myself

BUT it was so great!!! The twins did so well and it was a great week. We have gone on a yearly vacation (even if it's just small) ever since. And then we found Disney and the rest is history... You just need to plan, plan, and be prepared. I think you will have a great time whenever you choose to go!

June 2013 POR - first WDW road trip
January 2010 POR - first trip for the peanut!
April '08 POR
May '07 WL - 1st with twin
May '03 POFQ
twinmom319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
CaraMiaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkkatie View Post

I have 3 kids who will be 7, 6, and 4 the first time we all go to Disney. My oldest never liked a lot of commotion so I likely would not have thought to take him younger. However, considering my other 2, they are definitely ready now at 3 1/2 and 5 1/2. If you think you may not get back to Disney, I would wait until they were 5, but if you think you will be getting back there in another 3 or 4 years, I would say 2 1/2 would be a good age. And of course it would be nice since it would be cheaper with them being under 3! : )
I personally don't think they would get enough out of the trip to make it worthwhile at 18 months.

April '88 with high school marching band Tokyo DL!
May '99 with sister's family, DW Dixie Landings (POR-R)
May '00 work trip DW Beach Club
May '01 work trip DL Grand Californian
May '02 work trip DW Boardwalk
May '03 work trip DW Yacht Club
May '04 work trip DW Beach Club

Nov '13 first family Disney vacation! DW POR-R/AoA Cars
CaraMiaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
isaboo
Mouseketeer

We took our twin girls when they were two years old. They loved it! The only thing they didn't appreciate was long table-service dinners. Have fun!
isaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
jke2013
Earning My Ears

Just got back from a Disney trip with our 13 month old twins and 4yr old son. We enjoyed it! Some parts were a little stressful, but overall we had a great time. I think we may go again when they are about 2.5 yrs old.
Pros: it was free for the twins to fly, stay at resort, and free to enter parks. . Kids enjoyed seeing the characters and riding the rides they could go on.
Cons: meal times were a little stressful. Some of the QS places mainly have tables for 4. It wasn't easy to have all of us huddled around a 4top table with 2 high chairs and kids trying to reach for everyone's food and drinks, encountered several high chairs with broken seat belts (of course discovered it after scrubbing it down with hand sanitizer wipes), surprised at the grime on the high chairs (I don't think they are cleaned daily).

I would plan to take family nap time during the day - go back to the resort and get out of the heat, take a nap, have a snack and then head back to the parks.

Good luck and have fun!!
jke2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Is taking them now out of the question? Our twins, almost 4 have been at least ten times and by far the easiest trip was at three months old. Toughest was at just three. Ours were three months in a December so heat was not an issue. Anyway if you can do it that would be my first choice. Otherwise go when they are 18 months. I have never been one for putting things off. You will have a great time no matter how old they are.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: