Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
chimommy
Mouseketeer

potty training

of course my son decides he wants to star using his potty a week before our trip. he is not all the way there yet... only pee's a few times a day. i dont really want to potty train at wdw... but dont want to set him back either. i was thinking about renting a potty... anyone have suggestions?
chimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

If you want, put him in pullups, so if he wants to go, he can. I wouldn't recommend them for actually full-on potty training, though. If he wants to use the potty, put him on the toilet in the hotel room - not all kids train with potty chairs (ds9 refused to use them on day 2 of pting, and just hauled himself up on the big toilet).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
WDWAurora
I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'm Patrick's...And his princess...Can Tink be a princess? Please?

I rarely put DS on the potty chair-I sit him on the toilet backwards. DS sounds like he's doing what your DS is. He will sometimes tell us he wants to use the potty, and others just uses his diaper. We aren't pushing it because he's young (2y 4m) and are just following his lead. I would either put him in pull ups or take a lot of extra diapers. We're going through them a lot more frequently because DS often barely pees in it, then wants to use the potty, and I'm not putting him back in a wet diaper!
WDWAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
ain0004
Mouseketeer

You can buy a fold up small toilet seat to fit right on top of the big ones. We bought on of these from Toys r us, before our last trip. Folds ups easy. Should have no problem if you have a stroller to put it in. Easy to wipe up/ clean
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

I opened this thread thinking I would say 'Just do it' as many people are scared to start training anytime before their trip....But a WEEK before is even a little close for my comfort. Is he in underwear all day long right now? Or just using the potty during diaper changes? That is a big factor for me. Once a kid is in underwear - I'm a big believer in NOT going back to pull-ups or diapers. But if he's still in diapers part time - then I would keep it that way for now.

I would go to the store and let ds pick out his own pullups (with a favorite character on them) and refer to them as 'Vacation underwear' or similar. And make a big deal out of being 'allowed' to wear them only on your vacation. As usual, have him tell you when he has to go. But when there I would just go to the potty every hour or two - change his pullup- and when convenient have him also sit on the potty. We did this when dd was about 22 months old...didn't have any official training underway - but every time I changed her diaper I had her sit on the toilet too - especially when she was dry. We just used a regular potty and I held her on there at that time.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
tinkerbell313
DIS Veteran

We never had a potty chair for either DD or DS. I did not want them to be afraid of the toilet. Also we never used pull ups for either child as they were not much different then diapers.

DS was trained around age 2. At age 18 months, DS would sit on the toilet first thing in the AM and the last thing at night. The pediatrician advised us to have him sit first thing int the AM as that is when they are full of pee. At that point, we noticed his diapers were dry at night. He was also in a bed at 18 months so he could use the bathroom at his convenience.

With that said, just continue on with his training...every time you see a bathroom have him go in and try. Do not ask him if he has to go, just bring him in and have him sit. Bathrooms are plentiful so you may be stopping every 30 minutes. We never found it to be inconvenient.
tinkerbell313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Ugh. I would have put my kids in pull ups and enjoyed the vacation. But I realize this may not be the advice you are looking for. Just know you are not a bad parent if that's what you decide to do.
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
August 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.
October 21-26, 2012, WDW - All Star Movies, Food and Wine, and MNSSHP

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
Piglet99645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

My youngest just potty trained herself about 30 minutes after we stepped onboard the Disney Fantasy this past spring. Totally not what we had in mind, but we rolled with it and that was that, she was/is trained.

We had tried introducing the potty months before the trip (we did the 3/31 inaugural sailing) because she can swim and we knew she'd want to be in the pools with her older siblings. Kid acted like the toilet seat was on fire anytime we sat her on it. Both the potty chair and the real toilet. Seriously. Wanted nothing to do with it and was content with her diapers. We told her often though that she had to use the potty to swim on the Mickey boat.

Well, apparently she was listening cause we stepped foot on the ship, she took off her diaper as soon as we walked in the room, said "I pee potty. No more bie-pers!" And that was that. Suddenly she went from the toilet being on fire to the diapers being on fire and refused to wear them, absolutely refused. We went to the gift shop, bought her underwear, had maybe 3 accidents all week, including our day in the MK and on the 5 hour flight home. And she was not, and still is not, a kid who will sit on the toilet simply cause you ask her to. Has to be on her terms only. THAT part was hard, trusting that she'd tell me she had to go, and with enough time, but she did.

Totally wasn't in the plan, but I thought "This is the window. If I set her back and push the diaper, who knows when she'll want to train." She was 2 years, 2 months at the time.

So, clearly, my advice, roll with it. If you get there and he's having one accident after another, I'd pull out the diapers/pullups. But if it seems to go okay, just go with his lead.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: