Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
mickeymaker2003
DIS Veteran

Free software to convert DVD to digital for Apple devices?

I need to learn how to convert DVDs into digital files that will work with Apple devices (iPod Touch and iPad). Is there any free software that will do it easily? I am only trying to convert from DVDs I already bought.
mickeymaker2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
MinnieFan4ever

DIS Cast Member

Download cucusoft. This will allow you to convert your DVD's so they can be put on your ipad. My husband has done this for my ipad.
MinnieFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
tzeitel
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

I use Handbrake for my Kindle Fire but it also works for the iPad - it is actually pre-set for the iPad and I just change a setting for it to work on my KF
tzeitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Scoopy
Earning My Ears

Just use Handbrake or Format Factory (Windows only).
If you need some other professional tools, I recommend Leawo DVD Ripper.
Scoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Jackerry
Earning My Ears

Are they protected DVDs? If not you can use Handbrake to do it. Otherwise use another DVD ripper that can rip protected DVDs, this one seems can do the trick: dvdconvertersoft.com/dvd-ripper.html or google for more options. Good luck
Jackerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymaker2003 View Post
I need to learn how to convert DVDs into digital files that will work with Apple devices (iPod Touch and iPad). Is there any free software that will do it easily? I am only trying to convert from DVDs I already bought.
If you're asking about converting DRM-protected DVDs, you're in a legally gray area and I don't think we can help you with it.

However, if you're looking to convert a personal DVD (one you or a friend has made), then Handbrake is definitely the way to go. You will need to be a little bit computer savvy to accomplish the conversion but if you do a google search, you should be able to find step by step instructions on how to move those personal videos to your ipod.

ETA: I just noticed that the OP is the same poster who was looking for a digital copy of Brave from anyone who is not using their own. OP, if you're looking to convert your DVD of Brave to a digital file, that would fall into the legally gray area. Even if you own the DVD, you cannot convert it without permission from Disney.

Last edited by Marionnette; 11-16-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

I have heard () that DVD Shrink will rip a copy and that Handbrake will then convert it for the Ipad.

Not that I would ever do something like that!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeitel View Post
I use Handbrake for my Kindle Fire but it also works for the iPad - it is actually pre-set for the iPad and I just change a setting for it to work on my KF
This is what we use as well on our Mac desktop. Then we put them on one of our back-up hard drives which we can access through the house network on the iPad, iPod Touch and my lap top.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: