Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
keypooh90
Lovatic

OT- It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

It's September...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's September 1st, the start of the most important month of the year! It's September, Childhood Cancer Awareness Month! September is for the children, for the ones newly diagnosed, for the ones still fighting, for those who are survivors and who won their battles, and for the littlest angels, who lost the fight. Keep the pink in October (Where it belongs) and MAKE September solely for the kids! Know your facts, think about where your money goes if you support cancer awareness (like ACS...who donates about 1 penny per dollar to ALL major types of cancer that affect children...(Leukemia, Lymphoma, Neuroblastoma, Retinoblastoma, Osteosarcoma, Ewing's Sarcoma, Wilm's Tumor, Rhabdomyosacroma, and childhood brain tumors, like Medulloblastoma, ependymomas, Astrocytomas, Diffuse Pontine Intristic Gliomas, and Atypical Rhaboid/Teratoid Tumors (ATRT). Instead of donating to ACS, donate to organizations that specifically donate and research for childhood cancers...like Cure Childhood Cancer, Rally! Foundation, St. Baldericks, Curesearch, Candlighters, Alex's Lemonade Foundation, and People Against Childhood Cancer (PAC2). Wear Gold this month, write letters to congressmen, your news station to get coverage...make the gold ribbon as recognizable as the pink!

And know your childhood cancer facts: (Facts from St. Balderick's!)

About Childhood Cancer

Childhood cancer takes the lives of more children in the U.S. than any other disease - in fact, more than many other childhood diseases combined. There are many types (see below) - cancers of the blood (leukemias), as well as solid tumors found in the brain, bones and many other parts of the body.

Children with cancer can not be treated simply as "smaller adults." First, the cancers that strike them are very different from the more common adult cancers, having different causes and needing different treatments. Also, children are being treated while in crucial stages of the development of their bodies and minds, complicating the effects of treatments and often resulting in life-long complications.

Although research over the last 40 years has raised the overall cure rate from virtually none to about 80%, many types of childhood cancer remain very difficult to cure. Progress is also especially slow in curing adolescents and young adults.

Types of childhood cancer:

Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia is the most common type of childhood cancer. It is a cancer of the blood system, starting in the bone marrow and percolating out into the blood. These patients have too many immature white blood cells in their blood and bone marrow. Fully developed lymphocytes fight infection by attacking germs and other harmful bacteria in the body, whereas lymphoblasts are harmful.

Central Nervous System (CNS) tumors are cancers of the brain and brain stem. They are the most common solid tumors of childhood and they have the highest mortality rate of the childhood cancers. Types include medulloblastoma, PNET, germ cell tumors, high-grade and low-grade gliomas, ependymoma, astrocytoma and more.

Clear cell sarcoma of the kidney (CCSK) is a very rare type of kidney tumor. It is not recognizable as different from Wilms tumore before removal of the tumor, but requires a different treatment.

Ewing Sarcoma is a less common form of bone tumor, affecting mostly children ages five and older. These tumors form in the cavity of the bone.

Hodgkin disease is a type of lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes. It affects teens most commonly, but also younger children. The lymph system is present throughout the body and helps fight infections. Hodgkin disease can start almost anywhere and then spread to almost any organ or tissue, including the liver, bone marrow and spleen.

Myeloid leukemias are more rare and difficult to cure than the more common Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). In leukemia, the bone marrow produces large numbers of abnormal blood cells which flood the bloodstream and lymph system and may invade vital organs. The most common cancer of the myeloid cells is Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). Others include Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia (JMML), Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APL), and Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS). While adults are much more likely to get AML than children, treatment for children with AML is different from that of adults.

Neuroblastoma is a cancer of the sympathetic nervous system, a nerve network outside the brain. Neuroblastoma tumors can grow in the abdomen, neck or pelvis. The average age of diagnosis is 2, and it is rare in children over 10 years old.

Non-Hodgkins Lymphomas are cancers of the cells of the immune system (T and B lymphocytes, natural killer cells). Cells of the immune system are produced in the bone marrow and then travel to all the lymph glands, the thymus gland, areas of the intestinal tract, tonsils, and spleen, so a lymphoma can develop in any of those sites. The four major subtypes of NHL in children are Lymphoblastic, Burkitts, Large B cell, and Anaplastic large cell.

Osteogenic sarcoma (or osteosarcoma) is the most frequently diagnosed type of bone tumor, usually found in adolescents and young adults. Tumors are most often in the large bones of the upper arm (humerus) and the leg (femur and tibia).

Retinoblastoma is a cancer of the retinoblasts, or "baby" cells in the retina, responsible for vision. Retinoblastoma occurs most often in children from birth to age 3. About 40% of these children have the genetic form of the disease; with every cell in the retina susceptible to tumor formation, usually both eyes are affected. The other 60% have the non-genetic type, affecting only one eye. Since removal of the eye can cure most children research is now focused on preserving vision.

Rhabdoid tumor of the kidney is a very rare type of kidney tumor, and rhabdoid tumors can occur in other places of the body, as well. Researchers have found a specific gene mutation that leads to rhabdoid tumors.

Soft tissue sarcomas can be found anywhere in the body. Rhabdomyosarcoma is a tumor that arises in the muscle cells, and is the most common type in children under age ten. The other soft tissue tumors are more rare and tend to be found in adolescents. They include fibrosarcomas, synovial sarcomas, malignantperipheral nerve tumors, leiomyosarcoma, liposarcoma, and others even more rare. Some soft tissue tumors are similar to those found in adults, while others are very unique to children.

Wilms Tumor accounts for about 90% of kidney tumors in children. About 95% of children with this tumor have a "favorable histology" (better cure rate with less treatment) as determined by the pattern the pathologist sees in the tumor cells. The other 5% have anaplastic Wilms tumor, which is much more resistant to treatment.

Other Rare Childhood Cancers There are many types that are so rare it is difficult to do research on them. However, "rare" is a relative term, as these account for about 15% of childhood cancers, jumping to 30% if adolescents are included. Rare childhood cancers include germ cell tumors, liver tumors (hepatoblastoma and hepatocellular carcinoma), adrenocortoco carcinoma, colon cancer, melanoma, nasalpharangyal cancer, thyroid tumors and others.

My own facts:

Did you that 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year in the U.S. alone...46 children are diagnosed with cancer and seven kids lose their battle? Did you know that cancer is the number one killer of children under the age of 20? That it kills more kids WORLDWIDE than diabetes, asthma, allergic reactions, cystic fibrosis, congential anomalies, pediatric AIDS and burns combined? Cancer doesn't discriminate...it could be your kid, sister, cousin, no child is exempt from this disease. Cure rates for many pediatric cancers remain less than 40%. Children are not just small adults and deserve more investments from big pharma. In the last 20 years, only ONE single new drug has been developed specifically for childhood cancer. Yes, survival rates are up, but at a price. These kids bodies and minds are developing and the drugs are harsh. Protocols for childhood cancer are tougher and much longer than many adult protocols. For instance, did you know that kids diagnosed with Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia (most common type of childhood cancer) face a 2.5-3.5 year treatment protocol? These kids survive, but at a price (average 5 year EFS for ALL is 90%), but these drugs cause AVN (bone damage), neuropathies, heart damage, cognitive defects, and more.

For more info, check out www.curechildhoodcancer.org. They are honoring one kid per day throughout the month of September in Cure Kid's Conquer Cancer One Day At a Time. Rally! is honoring 46 children, in honor of the 46 kids diagnosed per day. Do something. Do your part. Think about all the commercials and pink ribbons in stores in your towns...when was the last time you saw a Childhood Cancer Awareness commercial or a gold ribbon on a product in the store? Bet you've seen pink and it's September...September is for the kids, so make it count. Keep the pink in October and OUT of September...if you haven't already done so, download Ryan Burton/VANN's song, "Sometimes You Gotta Fight" off iTunes. It's a very simple way to make a difference in a child's life...only 99 cents and two seconds of your time COULD save an innocent child's life!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
ABBMommy
Earning My Ears

keypooh90, I'm new here so I have to ask-are you a cancer parent? My daughter is a St. Jude patient in treatment for leukemia so of course I LOVE your post We're going to Disney as a Make-a-Wish family in October. St. Jude is also another wonderful place to donate as they not only treat childhood cancer, but they are a research hospital with some of the leading treatments being developed and used there. My daugther, Ally, started treatment in July 2010 and will finish in March 2013.
ABBMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
keypooh90
Lovatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBMommy View Post
keypooh90, I'm new here so I have to ask-are you a cancer parent? My daughter is a St. Jude patient in treatment for leukemia so of course I LOVE your post We're going to Disney as a Make-a-Wish family in October. St. Jude is also another wonderful place to donate as they not only treat childhood cancer, but they are a research hospital with some of the leading treatments being developed and used there. My daugther, Ally, started treatment in July 2010 and will finish in March 2013.

Welcome to the DIS! I hope you and your daughter/family have a fabulous trip at Disney! I also donate to SJ and have participated at Up Til Dawn at my college for the past three years, and of course I did Math-A-Thon as a kid! Kids like your daughter are my inspiration and true heroes! I'm not a cancer parent, but a survivor myself and I've volunteered for years with CHOA (Chidren's Healthcare of Atlanta).
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
seethelight
Mouseketeer

Thanks for info! We do need to see more gold out there In support of this!

Nov 2004-First trip with DH who was then a BF

Sept 2012- First trip with our girls!

Feb 2014-taking our princesses back!
seethelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
keypooh90
Lovatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Thanks for info! We do need to see more gold out there In support of this!
Thank you!!! We need to make THE GOLD as recognizable as the pink!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Not sure if everyone knows, but Taylor Swift has a song that she released tonight on Itunes that she sang on the Stand Up For Cancer telethon that was on tv earlier at least here on the East Coast. The song is called "Ronan". “Ronan” is dedicated to a 3-year-old boy who died last year of neuroblastoma. Swift wrote the song after reading the blog of Ronan’s mother, Maya Thompson, who is credited as a co-writer.

It is on Itunes right now and all proceeds are being donated to cancer-related charities. The song is beautifully written and has a strong meaning behind it and it is 99 cents. Just thought that I would share.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
keypooh90
Lovatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrama12 View Post
Not sure if everyone knows, but Taylor Swift has a song that she released tonight on Itunes that she sang on the Stand Up For Cancer telethon that was on tv earlier at least here on the East Coast. The song is called "Ronan". “Ronan” is dedicated to a 3-year-old boy who died last year of neuroblastoma. Swift wrote the song after reading the blog of Ronan’s mother, Maya Thompson, who is credited as a co-writer.

It is on Itunes right now and all proceeds are being donated to cancer-related charities. The song is beautifully written and has a strong meaning behind it and it is 99 cents. Just thought that I would share.
Absolutely! Thanks for sharing...on that same token, if everyone would download Ryan Burton/VANN's song "Sometimes You Gotta Fight". This was written by Ryan Burton, step-father of 3 year-old Callie Cheer, who has just reached her one year anniversary of diagnosis of AML Leukemia (10 months in Remission!!!). The proceeds of this song go to CURE.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: