Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Southern California Theme Parks
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
jackie101
DIS Veteran

Is lego land to babyish for a 11 & 12 yr old?

We are going to san diego in feb with my hubby on his work trip. Trying to decide between lego land or the zoo. I have a 12, 11, and 9yr old twins.
jackie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie101 View Post
We are going to san diego in feb with my hubby on his work trip. Trying to decide between lego land or the zoo. I have a 12, 11, and 9yr old twins.
A lot of people will tell you that yes, it is too babyish, but I think this really depends on the kids. My boys are 11 and 12, have been to Legoland several times (last there in April of this year), and would like to go again. They don't go to Legoland expecting thrill rides or a Disneyland experience. They go to experience the unique Lego-ness of the place. They love Legos so they really appreciate seeing the various Lego models. They probably spend at least an hour just in Miniland each visit. They like to ride each of the non-baby type rides once, and they pick one of the 4D movies to watch. A highlight for them is to go to the Mindstorms presentation which is geared to older kids. They have Mindstorms at home but really like to go to the class in the park too. Last time we went, we spent an hour or so going through the Sealife aquarium (extra charge) that is there as well. I would say with older kids, it's not a full day experience necessarily, but you can still have a lot of fun and easily fill up 5 or 6 hours. With four kids and if you've never been there, you should be able to make a day of it. Look for discount tickets though; we would never pay full gate price.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
endy
DIS Veteran

I will say I completely agree with the PP longtimedisneylurker.

I even like LL especially miniland. I find it very peaceful with lots beautiful plants, not sure what it's like in Feb tho.

Watch for coupons, there are often kids free with adult ticket. Kids are still kids until 12. Keep an eye out here as very nice people often give away their coupons they can't use.

Check the thread with LL discounts.

Last edited by endy; 09-07-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: cuz I'm a ditz
endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
erocrobro
DIS Veteran

I went this summer with my boys who were 5, 7, & 10 (1 month away from 11), and I agree with the above posters. My oldest loved studying all of the models, and we spent lots of time in miniland, expecially the Star Wars section. The rides, while not thrill rides, are fun to ride because of the theming. I definitely think you can make a day of it.

erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
jackie101
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the responses. we are going in Feb..now to get some coupons
jackie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Huff
DIS Veteran

While I agree it varies with individual kids I do feel that the majority of kids older than about 9 or 10 would be board. The park is really aimed at kids around 4-9. I took my nieces when they were 9 and 10. They had fun for a few hours but were board and ready to leave right after lunch. They have no interest in going back. They always have fun at the Zoo, Safari park or we go to the beach, whale watching or other activities they love.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Flamingomo
Jack Sparrow's Wench...and proud of it. Its Flamingo Mo. Sorry to disappoint.

The September issue of the Lego Magazine has a free child's ticket. So even if you buy 4 magazines you are saving a bundle. And it includes the waterpark there too, though not sure if it is open in Feb.

We are trying to get my boys there too, they are 11, 8 and 2 and the two older ones LOVE Legos and are dying to go. Flights are ridiculously expensive out of Philadelphia though. We were shooting for mid October when tehy have a long weekend off from school and they have the "Tricks and Bricks" Halloween stuff there.

Have a great time!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

I have kids the exact same ages (12,11,9,9) all boys. They were bored at Legoland. The majority of the rides especially after DL/DCA and US were too babyish for them. We went several years ago when my oldest was 8 and the twins 5 and it was perfect. After a we left the boys all said "well next time we come to Cali we don't need to come here anymore) FYI. Its alot of money for a very few rides. And it was a ride from DL. They probably would have perfered to go to a Padres game.
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
ktlm
DIS Veteran

We took DD(7) at age 4, and thought it was pretty much for the 3-7 set. She had fun, but unlike Disney it didn't seem to have that much to entertain the older kids or the parents. The rides are all very kiddie. Unlike Disney where almost every ride or attraction has something built in to entertain the grown ups as well- Legoland didn't really have that feel. Other than the section with the lego cities to walk through, it just felt very kiddie. Although DD had fun, we have been back to CA twice and she hasn't asked to go back. My friend's son was in a wedding at age 6 in CA and the Dad took him out there and to Legoland while the Mom stayed home with their 9 and 11 year old sons because they had a big sports tournament/championship. The Dad said he was glad he didn't have the older 2 at Legoland because he thought they were too old for it and would have been really bored. The 6 year old enjoyed it. If your kids are really obsessed with legos, they might enjoy it because it is pretty neat to look at how everything is built, but other than that they may feel like they are too old for it.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
GenGen22
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on the kids and if they are boys or girls too.. Boys tend to be more into Legos than girls. We went when our kids were DS8, DS10 & DD12 and DD12 was bored the whole time wheile the boys enjoyed it. I do think it is more geared toward younger children. We enjoyed Legoland but our kids are too old not DD16, DS13 & DS12. You know your children and will know if they like that sort of thing or not.

Summer Vacations:
DL offsite 1976 & 1979, DL Best Western Raffles 2004 & 2005, DL Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park 2010 & 2014, DL Hampton Inn & Suites 2013
Christmas time Vacations:
DL Embassy Suites Anaheim South 2009, WDW POP Century 2011
GenGen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
julm26
Mouseketeer

I have an DD8 and the thought never crossed or minds to take her there. When we showed her the website - she said Why would I want to go there, i'm not a baby anymore...
April 2013 - Disneyland here we come!

Me DH DD(8)
julm26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: