Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
ewd
Earning My Ears

Week after Christmas

My two kids (ages 4 and 7) are dying to go to Cars Land, so we thought we would surprise them with a trip to DCA/DLR right after Christmas. We are Disney novices and although I thought it would be a busy time I didn't realize that it is literally the busiest week of the year. My question is-- if we go in with reasonable expectations and a good plan are we going to be able to manage? We would not be going with the mindset that we are going to ride every ride or do everything but I am really just worried about things like the park reaching capacity and not letting people in or out or not being able to move because there are so many people.
ewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewd View Post
We would not be going with the mindset that we are going to ride every ride or do everything but I am really just worried about things like the park reaching capacity and not letting people in or out or not being able to move because there are so many people.
The park will reach capacity, but with the exception of NYE, the gates will close, when enough people leave, they reopen. (They do the same NYE, except people don't leave...) So, the gates may close at 2pm, but after the parade lets out and people head out for naps, they reopen.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Disney Novices, young kids - no way. Can't you go some other time?
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

It will be extremely crowded, and if this is the first time you're taking your kids to experience Disney, I would really wait for a time that is less crowded. You will spend the majority of the day waiting for things, unfortunately.

Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
CateinPhoenix
Mouseketeer

We went 5 years ago the week between Christmas and New Years: Never again! Complete waste of money because of the crowds and this was even working a plan, etc. I wouldn't do it!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

If one of the main draws is Cars Land, do not go at that time. Some of those rides are already over an hour wait, and with the parks full they are bound to be longer. You would spend all your time in line and only get a few rides a day. I would definitely go at a slower time.

I am a firm believer in taking kids out of school for Disney. The parks are just less crowded. Have you thought of making the trip a present, but going in January or February? The crowd level is much more pleasant, and you will enjoy it much more.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo
It will be extremely crowded, and if this is the first time you're taking your kids to experience Disney, I would really wait for a time that is less crowded. You will spend the majority of the day waiting for things, unfortunately.
Yeah. Hate to be a downer but I don't think you can really appreciate what you'll be up against just by reading things online. It won't be "busy"... It will be "what the heck was I thinking, I hope my family will someday forgive me for putting them through this" busy lol. If you were a seasoned vet that just wanted to go to soak up the Christmas decorations and maybe catch a few rides then fine, but I would hate for your family's first impression of the magical place that is Disneyland to be nose-to-back pushing down Main Street just trying to muscle through to the first ride.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Goofy_Mom
Disney Princess

I would reschedule, too. the week between Christmas and NY is pure evil. Even lines that are normally walk ons have 40min waits. And the Eticket rides, forget it.

If your trying to schedule around kids' school, go the week before Christmas week or the week after NY. It'll still be busy (Index 84/100 with 100 being max capacity), but you'll be able to walk at a humans pace. If you could swing it, go the first week of December. It'll be full christmas swing, but a lot more managable.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Try doing a Google image search of "Disneyland Christmas Crowds" and you'll see what we mean.

For example, this picture was taken last year on December 19th, not even during the "busiest week of the year"! http://www.flickr.com/photos/malingering/6562524337/ Looks fun doesn't it!?!?
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy_Mom View Post
...the week between Christmas and NY is pure evil....
That made me laugh, Goofy_Mom!

You know, that week between Christmas and New Year's is going to be a madhouse for so many reasons. There are all kinds of people free from family holiday obligations, work responsibilities, school schedules, etc., with time on their hands to head to DLR. There will be people armed with wads of money they received as gifts, ready to storm the parks and spend it on souvenirs (or even on Annual Passes!). There will be the lure of the new seasonal decorations in California Adventure (including Cars Land!), drawing people in out of curiosity.

Personally, I would avoid it (especially for a first-time visit) unless I just had to be there for New Year's Eve or something (but I did that once before and don't want to do it again).

Now, that said, I will mention (just in the interest of fairness) that I have read some other folks' posts here and there, over the last couple of years, which stated that "it wasn't that bad" in the post-Christmas week, and that they were able to successfully get everything done that they needed to do with proper planning and expectations. They also said that the crowds were not as horrendous as they had been told they'd be.

So, there are some people who will tell you that it's possible to go at that time and have a fulfilling, successful trip - but the majority will tell you to avoid it if you can.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
I just want to say this is VERY true. We go every year at this time. We really enjoy it. BUT, we go several times a year.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
ewd
Earning My Ears

Thanks,everyone! I really appreciate your input and advice. I think we are going to scrap those plans and go another time. I think I need more time to plan anyway. I mean, honestly, my head is swimming. I might have to see if my aunt can come out of retirement as a travel agent to help me.
ewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
smithfamilyof7
Earning My Ears

We were in the SAME boat as you. We wanted to go during that week, figured it would be busy but had no idea until I came to these boards just how busy it is. With small children, I decided that I'd rather go another time and not deal with the insane crowds. So we're going next month instead. :-)
smithfamilyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: