Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #181
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Caught up and lovin it!!!!!

Legoland looks cool.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #182
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
I have it in the iPhone but not the iPad. I need to add it to both. My eyes are starting to go, I need glasses.
I have glasses, and it's still hard to see on my iPhone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Caught up and lovin it!!!!!

Legoland looks cool.
Thanks! The final Legoland update will be posted in 4....3....2....1....
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #183
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

LEGOLAND, Part 3

When last we left our intrepid heroes, they (well, we, I guess, since I'm writing this in the first person) had just decided to call it a day at the water park and venture back into Legoland proper. The problem here was the locker area in the water park. We had rented a locker from their automated locker rental machine earlier in the morning. (By the way, it didn't take credit cards and was exact change only. Luckily the gift shop was open and was able to break a $20 for me) We didn't get a choice of what locker we wanted and were assigned on all the way in the back. So we had to fight through a gaggle - no, a herd? Nah. A Drove? Maybe. A Swarm? YES! A SWARM of people to get to it. Easily 15 people sharing one locker, all milling around it waiting to get their stuff. Some lighting up some horrific smelling "cigarettes". (Clearly I grabbed our stuff as quickly as I could and got out of there.)

Have you ever wished you could talk to some of the great minds of human history? Plato, Gallielo, Einstein, etc? And just pick their brain? Well, the quickest way to pick a brain to via the nose. True Story.

Old Albert there guards the entrance to the Imagination Zone (Thankfully, not the Land of Imagination!). The first attraction we came to, Kid Power Towers, actually made the kids work for their fun. The ride starts and the towers begin slowly rotating. But if you want to ascend to the top, you've got to provide the power. Working together, the riders have to pull the rope between them to hoist their seats up.

It's not completely kid-powered, of course. The rope is attached to gears and hydraulics that provide some assistance, but the message is clear - you want to enjoy yourself, you got to work for it. Just imagine Its A Small World with petal boats or oars.

SUPER HERO POSE!

Up a little hill and around a corner, we found Lego Technic. The Technic line of Legos are a step up from the traditional bricks we're all used to. Technic uses interconnecting rods, gears, motors, etc. It allows older kids to build larger and more complex models. No word yet on whether stepping on a Lego Technic piece at 2am in bare feet hurts any more or less than a regular brick.

It would stand to reason, then, that the Lego Technic area would be geared more toward the larger and faster rides. (Yes, I went there. You know you enjoyed it too.)

First up: Lego Technic Coaster.

Sorry for the lack of scene setting and actual ride pictures. I felt like a big enough tool pulling out my phone to take pictures of my kids, let alone rides.

The coaster was pretty fun. It starts with a pretty steep, fast drop and a few bumps and hills. Then you reach a sort of apex, and begin a long, switch-back descent. The turns are very tight so there is a lot of lateral g-forces pushing you around. A few more quick hills and you're done. I thought it was pretty fun and it got a Madison & Evan Seal of Approval. (No actual seals were harmed in the making of their approval.) I think we rode this one 3 or 4 times.

Up next was the longest line we stood in all day - maybe 20-30 minutes. Actually, I didn't stand in it. Bambi and her dad took the kids while grandma and I stayed back with Ryder. The reason that the line for Aquazone Wave Racers was so long was that it was a very low-throughput, slow-loading ride. Once you load your boat and they all begin to spin, you get to control how far out from the loading platform your boat goes by using the steering wheel connected to rudders under the boat. But be warned, the farther out you go, the closer you get to the water canons controlled by strategically placed buttons in the viewing gallery.

Keep this in mind - if you're riding with your mom who is significantly taller than you, you can use her as a sort of shield to keep yourself dry. A word of caution to this tale: your cute little puppy dog eyes and saying "I wove you mommy" will not get you out of trouble, especially if you cackle diabolically every time she get soaked. Just an FYI.

A little more wandering brought us down to the Cypress Gardens area of the park. Before Legoland came in and bought the abandoned theme park, it was known as Cypress Gardens. Legoland kept part of the original gardens in tack, and I've heard it's a lovely place to stroll around. I don't know for sure, because no one else wanted to go with me and I didn't want to take wonderful nature pictures with my crappy cell phone camera.

Also kept from the original Cypress Gardens is a water ski show. However, it's been Lego-ized (much like the bottom of my feet in the middle of the night) and invaded by Lego Pirates.

We checked the Times Guide (or whatever Legoland calls their show schedules) and found the we just missed a show and the next wasn't starting for quite a while. Not wanting to wait around, we pressed on through more of the park.

Note the Lego woodland creatures over Bambi's shoulder. The area was teaming with them. We really need to go back with two fully charged camera batteries so I can get better pictures of all of the little details they have around here.

And speaking of little details, we emerged into Miniland. Legoland model builders have build replicas of parts of California, Florida (Kennedy Space Center, Daytona Speedway, Miami Beach, etc. Sadly, no mini Disney World), New York, Washington DC and Las Vegas. This is where I really wish I had the good camera - the details they put into these models is simply incredible.

It's interactive, too. The button Evan is pushing makes the marching band in front of the capitol, well, march.

You can see the White House over there beyond the Washington Monument. What you can't see (Because they were on the other side) was little Lego figures of the First Family, including Bo the dog.

The shuttle launch area of mini-KSC had a replica of the countdown clock, and when it hit 00:00:00, lights would glow on the shuttle engines and Solid Rocket Boosters, and smoke would billow out. Really cool effects.

The "rocket garden" at mini-KSC, including a Saturn V and the Vehicle Assembly Building in the background.

From the "Pirate Shores" section of the display. All of the boats were on underwater cable systems, pulling them through the water.

Divers salvaging the wreck of a sunken ship:

I thought the displays in this area were fantastic and the attention to detail on this small of a scale rivaled anything Disney can do. This area alone was worth the (discounted) price of admission. I could have spent hours in here just looking at the models. Ryder, well, he didn't seem as excited as I was.

We took one more swing though Lego Kingdoms so the kids could ride a few more rides and prepare to battle fire breathing dragons.

Of course, just because you're facing a certain firey death at the hands of a gigantic lizard, doesn't mean you can't be fashionable.

A few more rides and a stop in the gift shop on the way out (Spoiler: they sell Legos) and we decided to call it day at Legoland. A stop at Advanced Auto Parts to buy a battery (The one in the in-law's Explorer had been giving them trouble - so much so that we strategically parked so I could jump start it with the other car if we needed to. And we did.) and it was getting time for dinner. And where else but Waffle House!

Yup, nothing like loading that boy up with chili before having a "sleep over" with Grandma & Grandpa.

So, some final thoughts on Legoland:
  • It's not in a bad area, despite how I may have made it sound in my first Legoland chapter. Driving from Lakeland to Winter Haven passes through some iffy areas, but Winter Haven - and especially the Legoland part of town - are very nice. And if you were to come from Disney, you don't even pass those areas.
  • Yes, the park is geared at kids 12 and under. That's not to say that teens or really little kids won't find something to enjoy. Bambi said the baby care center in Duplo Village was better than some at Disney.
  • The attention to detail in the Lego models is top notch. I didn't even have pictures of half of the displays.
  • The water park - which requires a separate admission - left me a little lacking. A lot of concrete and steel and while there was some Lego theming, it really wasn't that much. You get a whole lot better water park experience at Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach. That being said, if you get the type of deal that we did where the water park admission is included, got for it.

I can certainly see us going back. Not every trip, but we'll have kids in the "under 12" age range for another 11 1/2 years, so we'll certainly be going back.

Up Next: Holy Cow! We finally get to Disney World in the Disney Trip Report!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #184
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Easily 15 people sharing one locker, all milling around it waiting to get their stuff. Some lighting up some horrific smelling "cigarettes". (Clearly I grabbed our stuff as quickly as I could and got out of there.)
Nobody wanted to sell the "cigarettes"?

Quote:
Have you ever wished you could talk to some of the great minds of human history? Plato, Gallielo, Einstein, etc? And just pick their brain? Well, the quickest way to pick a brain to via the nose. True Story.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Quote:
The rope is attached to gears and hydraulics that provide some assistance, but the message is clear - you want to enjoy yourself, you got to work for it. Just imagine Its A Small World with petal boats or oars.
But IASW isn't enjoyable even without those things. Ping-pong ball guns on the other hand...

Quote:
No word yet on whether stepping on a Lego Technic piece at 2am in bare feet hurts any more or less than a regular brick.
It might hurt less but cause a more complex injury.

Quote:
Keep this in mind - if you're riding with your mom who is significantly taller than you, you can use her as a sort of shield to keep yourself dry. A word of caution to this tale: your cute little puppy dog eyes and saying "I wove you mommy" will not get you out of trouble, especially if you cackle diabolically every time she get soaked. Just an FYI.
This must have been some other kid you observed, and not your little angels.

Quote:
And speaking of little details, we emerged into Miniland. Legoland model builders have build replicas of parts of California, Florida (Kennedy Space Center, Daytona Speedway, Miami Beach, etc. Sadly, no mini Disney World), New York, Washington DC and Las Vegas. This is where I really wish I had the good camera - the details they put into these models is simply incredible.
These look really awesome.

Quote:
The shuttle launch area of mini-KSC had a replica of the countdown clock, and when it hit 00:00:00, lights would glow on the shuttle engines and Solid Rocket Boosters, and smoke would billow out. Really cool effects.
They should totally sell that kit in the Lego Store.

Quote:
From the "Pirate Shores" section of the display. All of the boats were on underwater cable systems, pulling them through the water.
I can see why you liked this area so much. Very cool.

Quote:
(Spoiler: they sell Legos)

Quote:
And where else but Waffle House!

Quote:
Yup, nothing like loading that boy up with chili before having a "sleep over" with Grandma & Grandpa.
Uh oh. That could get scattered and splattered later.

Your kids' pictures, as always, are adorable.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #185
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Legoland really looks awesome....

Will have to check that our one day...

Looks like you are having a blast... I hope it doesn't get ruined by some Canadians in the next update or two....

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #186
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I'm still amazed by how much Legoland has to offer. Who knew? And that Miniland section looks awesome! If my son ever really gets into Legos, I think we'll have to take a trip there.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #187
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm not even going to go there...I'll let the guys handle this one.

Old Albert there guards the entrance to the Imagination Zone (Thankfully, not the Land of Imagination!). The first attraction we came to, Kid Power Towers, actually made the kids work for their fun. The ride starts and the towers begin slowly rotating. But if you want to ascend to the top, you've got to provide the power. Working together, the riders have to pull the rope between them to hoist their seats up.

Looks like Evan was having a little trouble reaching that rope; but what a cool concept!

Up next was the longest line we stood in all day - maybe 20-30 minutes. Actually, I didn't stand in it. Bambi and her dad took the kids while grandma and I stayed back with Ryder. The reason that the line for Aquazone Wave Racers was so long was that it was a very low-throughput, slow-loading ride. Once you load your boat and they all begin to spin, you get to control how far out from the loading platform your boat goes by using the steering wheel connected to rudders under the boat. But be warned, the farther out you go, the closer you get to the water canons controlled by strategically placed buttons in the viewing gallery.

I can so see Evan cackling at this.

A little more wandering brought us down to the Cypress Gardens area of the park. Before Legoland came in and bought the abandoned theme park, it was known as Cypress Gardens. Legoland kept part of the original gardens in tack, and I've heard it's a lovely place to stroll around. I don't know for sure, because no one else wanted to go with me and I didn't want to take wonderful nature pictures with my crappy cell phone camera.

Such a lady.

Also kept from the original Cypress Gardens is a water ski show. However, it's been Lego-ized (much like the bottom of my feet in the middle of the night) and invaded by Lego Pirates.

Very nice group shot here.

We checked the Times Guide (or whatever Legoland calls their show schedules) and found the we just missed a show and the next wasn't starting for quite a while. Not wanting to wait around, we pressed on through more of the park.

As is this one.

Note the Lego woodland creatures over Bambi's shoulder. The area was teaming with them. We really need to go back with two fully charged camera batteries so I can get better pictures of all of the little details they have around here.

It's interactive, too. The button Evan is pushing makes the marching band in front of the capitol, well, march.

You can see the White House over there beyond the Washington Monument. What you can't see (Because they were on the other side) was little Lego figures of the First Family, including Bo the dog.

These are really cool. We will have to take future grandchildren here for sure.

IWe took one more swing though Lego Kingdoms so the kids could ride a few more rides and prepare to battle fire breathing dragons.

I'd be afraid of him....for more than just the attire.

Of course, just because you're facing a certain firey death at the hands of a gigantic lizard, doesn't mean you can't be fashionable.

Love it...always a princess.

A few more rides and a stop in the gift shop on the way out (Spoiler: they sell Legos) and we decided to call it day at Legoland. A stop at Advanced Auto Parts to buy a battery (The one in the in-law's Explorer had been giving them trouble - so much so that we strategically parked so I could jump start it with the other car if we needed to. And we did.) and it was getting time for dinner. And where else but Waffle House!

Ummmmm....where are the scattered, smothered and covered, dear Evan? You are letting me down here.

Seriously? You are seriously going to talk about Disney?

Great update, my friend.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #188
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
(well, we, I guess, since I'm writing this in the first person)
I can't say that I'd be too surprised if you did suddenly start referring to yourself in the third person.

Quote:
A SWARM of people to get to it. Easily 15 people sharing one locker, all milling around it waiting to get their stuff. Some lighting up some horrific smelling "cigarettes". (Clearly I grabbed our stuff as quickly as I could and got out of there.)
Well, let's just be thankful that a bag of Doritos didn't fall out when you opened your locker. You'd have never made it out alive.

Quote:
Old Albert there guards the entrance to the Imagination Zone (Thankfully, not the Land of Imagination!).
Hey, where's Figment?

Quote:
Working together, the riders have to pull the rope between them to hoist their seats up.
A human powered ride??? What kind of a cheap theme park is this???

Quote:
It's not completely kid-powered, of course. The rope is attached to gears and hydraulics that provide some assistance,
Ok, that's better

Quote:
Just imagine Its A Small World with petal boats or oars.
IASW is what, 14 minutes long? That would become a new DISdads contest to see who can set the fastest time getting through there. You might actually be on to something there.

Quote:
It would stand to reason, then, that the Lego Technic area would be geared more toward the larger and faster rides. (Yes, I went there. You know you enjoyed it too.)

Quote:
However, it might get you a high five after the fact when nobody's looking from your dad who was manning one of those conveniently placed water cannon buttons.

Quote:
(much like the bottom of my feet in the middle of the night)
Yeah, we get it. You keep stepping on Legos in the middle of the night. Maybe one of these days you'll finally learn to put your toys away when you're done playing with them.

Quote:
That. Looks. Awesome!!!!!

Quote:
A stop at Advanced Auto Parts to buy a battery (The one in the in-law's Explorer had been giving them trouble - so much so that we strategically parked so I could jump start it with the other car if we needed to. And we did.)
What is it with you and trips to the auto parts stores when you're at the in-laws???

Quote:
First stop: DTD and the Lego Store!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #189
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Disney Not that I wasn't enjoying Legoland. Legoland looks cool but there's a mouse or two missing
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #190
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

First stop: DTD and the Lego Store!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #191
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Your pictures of Miniland are great. I can just imagine what being there in person is like. It reminds me of Madurodam in Holland.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival to the House of Mouse.
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,7)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #192
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Well, let's just be thankful that a bag of Doritos didn't fall out when you opened your locker. You'd have never made it out alive.
Good one Andy. MUST HAVE DORITOS!

Great update Barry. Doubt I will ever get to Legoland but it was nice to see it. Were you tempted to play Godzilla in Miniland? I would.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #193
Dugette
DIS Veteran

Wow, who knew there was so much cool stuff at Legoland? We'll have to keep that in mind if we ever decide to venture off of WDW property someday. The Miniland models look amazing!

But on to Disney!
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #194
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Legoland does look intriguing.

I will put it on the someday list...... maybe with the fictional grandkids that won't be around any time soon.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #195
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Legoland looks like it has much more to offer than I had heard from others. I'm glad your family enjoyed it.

Me DH DD DS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: