Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #166
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
There we came to Pharaoh's Revenge. I would have thought something like Pharaoh's Revenge would have more Biblical-type plagues: rivers of blood, mass genocide of slaves, raining frogs, etc. But it was just a two story mesh tent type structure with air cannons that shot foam balls at other kids
I don't remember Charlton Heston ever doing that.

Quote:
While the kids played, I commiserated with a pretty stubborn looking donkey.

What a jacka--.

Quote:
Continuing on, the next attraction was Safari Trek. Think Kilimanjaro Safari, but the animals are made out of Lego. And no corny poaching story line.
I don't think I can top Andy's lion joke here.

Quote:
We continued on down the road to the next themed area - Lego City. Again, the Naming Department* came up with a bang-up descriptive name.

*Something tells me that this department actually exists within the Legoland corporate structure. And the best they could come up with for their own department name was Naming Department.
Populated by the Marketing Guy, the Writer Guy, and The Guy With The Thing.

Quote:
Yes, they let the kids actually take control of actual boats in actual water and drive them around a water track. And the attraction lived up to it's name of "Boating School." We, as parents, learned that our children should never be trusted to drive a boat. The next attraction down the path was "Driving School." Anyone care to guess what we learned there?
How to text with one hand on the wheel? Flip off the other drivers?

Quote:
The course even has a roundabout in the middle of it. But they didn't bother to teach that, because even most adults don't know how to work them.
Which is pretty amazing, actually. It's a circle. What am I missing here?

Quote:
So, basically, Driving School taught us the same thing that Boating School did: our kids will never be allowed to take control of a motor vehicle.
for public transportation! Are you going to loan them your phone so they can find bus stops?

Quote:
He seemed....confused... whenever a wave would wash up against him.
Don't let him drive on roundabouts, then.

Quote:
UP NEXT: Well, the rest of Legoland I guess.
Way to sell it! Lego Marketing is on line 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I don't know why engineers these days are in love with those things. Mark???
I'm not sure if you want a serious answer here or not. So here goes.

Well, studies have shown they're much more efficient than traffic signals (in terms of wait time when stopped) and reduce both collisions and their severity as opposed to traditional intersections. Plus, it's a simple geometric shape, you can only travel in one direction, and all turns out of it are simple right-turn movements. So yeah, I can see why it would confuse everyone.

Or we just do it to screw with you. Why do you think we put traffic cameras near them? So we can watch the people that insist on making a left turn.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #167
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luvin the update.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #168
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

3 updates behind, and they were fabulous.

We usually hit DTD for our arrival day but I've never done the golf and of course I've never done it with a baby strapped to my chest. You are very multi-talented and a great Dad.

My oldest and youngest love leggos. They are both too old to enjoy this park. It's just so cute.

Loved the bouncy ride. The joy in Madison an Evan's face is contagious. Rides that make me loose my stomach are my favorite. Do they like Tower of Terror too?

The driving course is too cute. I want to be little enough to do it.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #169
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
After the kids got off the Beetle Bounce for the second time, we were able to corral them, force then into a corner and get them tied up and tossed over the stroller
Yippee Ki Yay!!!!!!

Quote:
so we could continue on down the path in the Land of Adventure for about another 17 feet.
A new world record?

Quote:
There we came to Pharaoh's Revenge. I would have thought something like Pharaoh's Revenge would have more Biblical-type plagues: rivers of blood, mass genocide of slaves, raining frogs, etc. But it was just a two story mesh tent type structure with air cannons that shot foam balls at other kids.

Sort of a Nerf Thunderdome.

200 kids enter… 200 kids leave…

Quote:
Still fun, and probably easier to get past the legal team. While the kids played, I commiserated with a pretty stubborn looking donkey.
Which is which?

Quote:
Continuing on, the next attraction was Safari Trek. Think Kilimanjaro Safari, but the animals are made out of Lego. And no corny poaching story line.
And they’re not all off out of camera range sleeping in the distant shade when you foolishly decide to ride in the late afternoon…

Quote:
The ride vehicles are tiny (at least to me)
Then they’d be even tinier to me…

Quote:
This was also, unfortunately, the place where the camera battery died. And since we were also going to water park today, we packed very light and left our regular park bag at Grandma & Grandpa's house. You know the bag - the one that you keep your spare battery in. So, from here on out the pictures will be courtesy of my crappy iPhone camera and the waterproof camera.
I suspect that these “crappy” pictures will still include images of adorable young’es and that’s all that’s really necessary for a successful TR.

Heck… we’ll even put up with growners and rank puns if pictures of kids are involved.

I’ve seen it done.

Quote:
We continued on down the road to the next themed area - Lego City. Again, the Naming Department* came up with a bang-up descriptive name.
Not every one can be an Imagineer…

Quote:
First stop: Boating School!
We, as parents, learned that our children should never be trusted to drive a boat.
So “cruise ship captain” just fell off the list of potential career paths ‘eh?

Quote:
The next attraction down the path was "Driving School." Anyone care to guess what we learned there?
That they can actually maneuver a car better the most of the folks back home?

I’m guessing “no” here…

Quote:
What's next on the map?

Flying School.

Oh Crap.

Quote:
The rest of our time in the water park was spend sans-camera as the bigger kids played in the giant interactive water play area complete with giant water bucket drop, squirting fountains, slides, water guns, etc.
A lack of picture doesn’t indicate a lack of fun.
Sounds like y’all made “maximum use of the recreational facilities of this port.”

Quote:
UP NEXT: Well, the rest of Legoland I guess.

Can’t be more certain about it then that?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #170
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
...The next attraction down the path was "Driving School." Anyone care to guess what we learned there?

Actually, the Driving School was pretty neat. As the kids make their way through the queue line, they get their photo taken for an official Legoland Driver's License (available at the gift shop for $19.99) then sit through a 5 minute or so classroom briefing on how to drive the cars. They're taught all about stop signs, construction zones, stop lights, etc. The course even has a roundabout in the middle of it. But they didn't bother to teach that, because even most adults don't know how to work them.

After the lesson, the kids were let loose on road!

I lost count of how many red lights, stop signs and yield signs my kids blew through. I don't know what the speed limit was, but I'm sure my kids exceeded it. So, basically, Driving School taught us the same thing that Boating School did: our kids will never be allowed to take control of a motor vehicle. What's next on the map?
You have my sympathies. Soon they will be behind the wheel, nothing you can do about it. Hope they fare better than Crash did during her first few months of driving.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #171
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
A striking resemblance if I do say so myself since I've met you in person.
I often refer to myself as the pack mule of the family, especially when going though an airport. Somehow I always end up carrying 3 carry ons while the kids gleefully skip through the terminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
The themeing is fabulous and you did great with the pictures. Good you learned early in your kids' lives to never let them steer a boat or a car...if you think you worry about them now, just wait!
Should I be worried that my insurance agent is flipping through a Mercedes catalog?

Quote:
Maybe you should lay off the cheese for a while?
BLASPHEMY!

Quote:
And with a more active lion.
My picture didn't turn out very good, but he was standing up on the rock and snarling and everything!
Quote:
Hey, as long as nobody drowned, that's what's important!
No one from my family anyway. And that's what's important!
Quote:
I don't know why engineers these days are in love with those things. Mark???
Because engineers feed on the fear and confusion that they cause.

Quote:
It is a good thing they have such a tall curb there. The lego man walking the lego dog would probably have to be rebuilt several times a day otherwise.
And for some reason, they didn't bother to go over the "points" system of driving either.
Quote:
Well, they can't be much worse than a certain pickup truck driver in your neighborhood.
I'm just relieved that you've posted pictures of your Chevy, so I know it wasn't you.

Quote:
I feel the need.
The need for speed.
As long as you meet the height requirement.
Quote:
Darn, that would have been really interesting.
You've never met my kids. Interesting can be a very bad word.

Quote:
That sounds pretty awesome. Where are the pictures of those?
We never went in the lazy river, so I never took any pictures. But here's the Google Image search results where you can look at other people's pictures.
Quote:
Did you consult the Lego Naming Department for your teaser?
Nope. Did that one all by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
There's more to Legoland than I would have thought. The Driving School does look cute! I had to laugh at your comment about roundabouts. There are a lot of those where I live. They are wonderful for traffic - if people know how to use them.
We were pleasantly surprised at how big and nice it was!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
The waterpark looks like a lot of fun! Hope the storms clouds didn't stick around for a long time.
It's Florida. Eventually they blow over.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #172
goofygrl4
Wishing upon a star!

I leave in 3 (technically 4, but im not counting the last 3 hours of this day) days for an 11 day trip! IM SO EXCITED and i've been "creeping" on all your trip reports. You are SOOOO FUNNNY! I don't know if its our WISCONSIN humor or what, but i've been laughing all night reading your reports! Thank you for that! I love all the great pictures of your family and the trip! I'm so excited to go with my two nieces and enjoy the magic!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #173
goofygrl4
Wishing upon a star!

I leave in 3 (technically 4, but im not counting the last 3 hours of this day) days for an 11 day trip! IM SO EXCITED and i've been "creeping" on all your trip reports. You are SOOOO FUNNNY! I don't know if its our WISCONSIN humor or what, but i've been laughing all night reading your reports! Thank you for that! I love all the great pictures of your family and the trip! I'm so excited to go with my two nieces and enjoy the magic!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #174
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I'm not sure if you want a serious answer here or not.
Not really, but I appreciate the scientific explanation behind it.

Quote:
Or we just do it to screw with you. Why do you think we put traffic cameras near them? So we can watch the people that insist on making a left turn.
But we all know this is the true reason.

I have a co-worker who went through one shortly after it was put in near here. He had to turn left at the intersection and couldn't figure out why everyone was honking at him.

He couldn't understand why he had to go all the way around when he just wanted to turn left.

Quote:
And for some reason, they didn't bother to go over the "points" system of driving either.
So Driving School was a complete joke then.

Quote:
I'm just relieved that you've posted pictures of your Chevy, so I know it wasn't you.
I thought you said it was a Dodge Ram. I used to own one for 2 years. I can assure you I won't be behind the wheel of one of those.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #175
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
I have a co-worker who went through one shortly after it was put in near here. He had to turn left at the intersection and couldn't figure out why everyone was honking at him.

He couldn't understand why he had to go all the way around when he just wanted to turn left.
If you think about it, the worst accidents typically happen at intersections. People making left turns are usually at the most risk of being t-boned. So if you eliminate that movement, you eliminate the worst accidents.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #176
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
OK. I need some Legoland advice. My son is 13 and my daughter is 10. My son LOVES legos and wants to go to this park. What I want to know is .... do you think he is too old ?? Is this park geared more towards younger kids ?? Like the 10 and under set ??
I think the "official" position is that Legoland is marketing themselves for the 12 and under crowd. Not that a 13 year old Lego lover is going to walk in and think it's all a bunch of baby rides, though. Some of the rides (like the Jousting one) won't appeal to him, but there are several coasters and other "big kid" rides that are very fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
My 10 year old son would love Legoland. I wonder if the driving school would benefit my 16 year old daughter. Someone needs to teach her to drive but I am too afraid.
From what I understand, nothing can benefit a 16 year old girl. Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
All your pictures look great even though you had to use a different camera.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3yore View Post
Those little Power Wheels were fast. I think we finished the ride in 30 seconds.
You were just about done before our car even took off. I still have no idea what type of logic that guy was using to load those cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E3yore View Post
NEVER. As in the number of years in which they will be allowed to drive on our insurance has not yet been invented.
On an unrelated topic, our insurance agent just put down the Mercedes catalog and picked up the real estate listings from Tahiti. Should we be worried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
How in the world does one dis from the iPhone? I'm so confused. Trying to sub to this so I can see all those fun Lego pics when I get home. Everything I do tiny oh here.
Are you using the DISBoards App? It's not the easiest thing to type on, but it works much better than a browser.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #177
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
I don't remember Charlton Heston ever doing that.
You need to get the director's cut. I think it's in there.

Quote:
What a jacka--.
Totall...wait. Which one?

Quote:
I don't think I can top Andy's lion joke here.
When in doubt, recycle someone else's joke.

Quote:
Populated by the Marketing Guy, the Writer Guy, and The Guy With The Thing.
No, the Guy With the Thing got downsized. But they kept the Thing.

Quote:
How to text with one hand on the wheel? Flip off the other drivers?
No, mostly how to contact your local DOT to complain about everything they do.

Quote:
Which is pretty amazing, actually. It's a circle. What am I missing here?
When I go around them, I like to hit the gas and kick the back end out and make the turn Tokyo Drift style. It's not easy to do with a front wheel drive minivan, even if it is rocket powered.

Quote:
for public transportation! Are you going to loan them your phone so they can find bus stops?
Hey, you saw it marked on the map just as well as I did. Unless we both imagined it. I blame Brian.

Quote:
Don't let him drive on roundabouts, then.
We're still working on crawling. We don't start roundabout training until he's 9 months.

Quote:
Way to sell it! Lego Marketing is on line 1.
I wonder if it's the New Guy that uses the Thing.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you want a serious answer here or not. So here goes.

Well, studies have shown they're much more efficient than traffic signals (in terms of wait time when stopped) and reduce both collisions and their severity as opposed to traditional intersections. Plus, it's a simple geometric shape, you can only travel in one direction, and all turns out of it are simple right-turn movements. So yeah, I can see why it would confuse everyone.
But when a local municipality puts one in 2 blocks away from a fire station and neglects to measure the length and turning radius of the fire truck that is housed there, people tend to get upset when that truck can't get around the roundabout and save their cat from a tree. Or put out a fire.

Quote:
But it's an extra 58 feet that I have to drive around that thing if I want to make a left turn! Do you know how much gas that will waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin the update.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
3 updates behind, and they were fabulous.
Wait, did you read them before you posted that or after? Just wondering...

Quote:
We usually hit DTD for our arrival day but I've never done the golf and of course I've never done it with a baby strapped to my chest. You are very multi-talented and a great Dad.
Oh, gosh, thanks.
Quote:
My oldest and youngest love leggos. They are both too old to enjoy this park. It's just so cute.
Really? They're older than me? I'm 34 and I enjoyed the park.
Quote:
Loved the bouncy ride. The joy in Madison an Evan's face is contagious. Rides that make me loose my stomach are my favorite. Do they like Tower of Terror too?
They used to, until someone said that as kids, they should be scared of it. Now they don't like it anymore. They'll come back around soon.
Quote:
The driving course is too cute. I want to be little enough to do it.
Me too.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #178
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
A new world record?
I'll have to check with Guinness.

And when I'm done with that, I'll look it up in a book of World Records.

Quote:

Sort of a Nerf Thunderdome.

200 kids enter… 200 kids leave…
And Everybody Wins!

Quote:
Which is which?
Exactly.

Quote:
And they’re not all off out of camera range sleeping in the distant shade when you foolishly decide to ride in the late afternoon…
That happens?!?! I demand more Disney magic!

Quote:
Then they’d be even tinier to me…
It's a short ride. You can probably suck in your gut and hold your breath that long. If not, I'm sure you won't the first person to black out and fall out of the ride vehicle.

Quote:
I suspect that these “crappy” pictures will still include images of adorable young’es and that’s all that’s really necessary for a successful TR.

Heck… we’ll even put up with growners and rank puns if pictures of kids are involved.
Yes, I suppose they will.

And thanks for the permission.

Quote:
Not every one can be an Imagineer…
I can. Where do I submit my application?

Quote:
So “cruise ship captain” just fell off the list of potential career paths ‘eh?
Maybe not. They don't actually do the driving, I'm sure they have someone else working the joy stick. The captain just tells them were to go. So.....yeah, cruise ship captain is probably out.

Quote:
That they can actually maneuver a car better the most of the folks back home?
Probably. Especially when emptying out of the bars at closing time.

Quote:
A lack of picture doesn’t indicate a lack of fun.
Sounds like y’all made “maximum use of the recreational facilities of this port.”
Yes, yes we did.

Quote:
Can’t be more certain about it then that?
I'd hate to set everyone up for disappointment. There will be enough of that on it's own without needing to advertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
You have my sympathies. Soon they will be behind the wheel, nothing you can do about it. Hope they fare better than Crash did during her first few months of driving.
They're getting helmets for their 16th birthdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygrl4 View Post
Thank you for all the kind words. Always nice to hear from a fellow Sconnie.
11 days sounds like an awesome time!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #179
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
I thought you said it was a Dodge Ram. I used to own one for 2 years. I can assure you I won't be behind the wheel of one of those.
Bambi and I were just talking about that. She asked if it was you driving. I remembered you posting pictures of your Chevy trucks and said "I have a feeling he wouldn't be caught dead in a Ram!"
Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #180
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Are you using the DISBoards App? It's not the easiest thing to type on, but it works much better than a browser.
I have it in the iPhone but not the iPad. I need to add it to both. My eyes are starting to go, I need glasses.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: