Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #136
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 39,195

I love Bambi because she is a Bears fan. But a White Sox fan. Really???? Such a disappointment.

Oh, hi Bambi...still love you girl...just not your taste in baseball teams.
__________________
KatMark is online now  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #137
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 5,956

LEGOLAND, Part 1

Waaaaaaaay back during our last trip Evan discovered a map of Legoland at a Port Canaveral hotel we were staying at the night before our cruise. And if you recall from the introductions in this TR, he loves maps. So, confine a 5 year old Lego fan with a Legoland map on a cruise ship for 4 days, and you get a lot of big plans for our next trip to Florida.

A few weeks before we left, Legoland ran a promotion on their Facebook page where you could get admission to both their Legoland Theme Park and their waterpark for $45, a savings of over 50%! The deal was so popular that it crashed their online ordering system several times. Finally, I got through, ordered our tickets, and Legoland was officially on the schedule. And Evan (and Madison!) were beside themselves with joy. (Think about that for a second - 2 Madisons, 2 Evans. Holy cow, I need to sit down for a sec, I'm feeling light headed. Anyone have a paper bag to breathe into?)

So the big morning arrived, and we packed up our park bags and made the 45 minute drive from Lakeland to Winter Haven through some...um..."sketchy" neighborhoods along the way. One of those Deliverance paddle-faster-I-hear-banjos kind of areas.



I'm a bit confused by the sign. Ummm...we are here, aren't we?



This may come as a bit of a shock, but just about everything was made out of Legos. Except the toilet seats - they were nice and smooth.



Bambi's Dad and I took our bags back to the water park located in the back of the theme park. The not-to-scale maps made it look like a fairly short hike. 20 minutes later, we found the women and kids.

Madison and Evan rode the carousel...


...meanwhile, Ryder rode his stroller.



Giant Plastic Dudes!


Clearly, they were taking a loss on the cheap tickets we bought if this is the landscaping team they hired.




The kids at the drawbridge to the Lego Kingdoms area



Themed to a midevil castle courtyard, their first stop the Dragon roller coaster (a little bigger/faster than Goofy's Barnstormer), then Merlin's Challenge.



They then decided to take their little brother over to the local blacksmith so see if they could get him pounded into something cooler, like a sword or a frying pan or something. Smelting, anyone?



Right next to the blacksmith was the Royal Joust. Lego horses on a track complete with real jousting lances! Unfortunately, the lances were fastened to the horse, lowering the coolness factor of the ride. The kids still liked it, though. (The horses do bob and rock, giving the ride more of a horse riding feel)






Even though the lances are fixed on the horses, this was as close as the kids came to each other. Clearly, the attendant knew what he was doing. He could see it in their eyes that they would stop at nothing to knock their sibling off their horse. In a loving and caring way, of course.



Across the path from the Royal Joust is The Forrestman's Hideout. It's a large, multi-level climing/sliding/exploring tree house type of play area. Nice place to let the kids burn off some energy while the parents take a quick rest in the shade.

Honestly, I have no idea where Evan gets his dramatics from.




Wait, yes I do.



Finishing up in Lego Kingdoms, we moved on to the Land of Adventure. (While overall, we really liked Legoland, their naming team could have worked just a little bit harder on some of their area names.)

Our first stop there was the Lost Kingdom Adventure. It's sort of a Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin set in Egypt. Just about every target you hit triggered some kind of action - a snake popped up, a mummy emerged from a casket, someone parted the Red Sea, etc. Your vehicle doesn't spin, but your gun/zapper is handheld so you can spin and aim it where ever you want. Even at your kids! If you were into that kind of thing, I mean.



It does keep an LCD readout of your scores, but I didn't get a picture snapped of that. Rest assured, I won.

Just outside of Lost Kingdom Adventure was a ride called Beetle Bounce. It's a pretty straight forward bouncy upy and bouncy downy ride. (Sorry to use "amusement park insider" terms there. Did I ever tell you I was kidnapped and forced to work as a carny when I was little?) I'll let the next series of photos tell the sad and tragic story of how Madison and Evan had to endure the perpetual up-and-down torture of the Beetle Bounce.















Usually when we let the kids go on a ride by themselves, they come back to wherever we were watching them from and either ask to ride it again or we continue on our merry way. This time, however, they got off, gave us a look that clearly said "There is nothing you can say or do to prevent us from riding again" and hopped right back in line.

Oh, as for the lines, so far on this day we didn't wait more than 5 minutes for any ride. The place was just about empty!

With all that excitement going on, I should probably calm things down a little bit with this....




Shhh.....leave your comments quietly, the baby is sleeping.

up next: I can't believe we let these kids drive.
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #138
MagicShell
DIS Veteran
 
MagicShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 1,503

I enjoyed your last two updates. Mini golf looks fun, but I can never make myself play it at WDW. I would feel like I was wasting park time, I guess.

Those pictures of Evan and Madison on the "bouncy" ride are precious. They were having some serious fun!
__________________
1996 Dixie Landings, 2000 All-Star Movies, 2004 Off-Site
2006 Off-Site, Dec. 2008 Pop Century


Me DH DD DS
MagicShell is online now  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #139
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,980

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
So, confine a 5 year old Lego fan with a Legoland map on a cruise ship for 4 days, and you get a lot of big plans for our next trip to Florida.
There are worse plans he could be coming up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
(Think about that for a second - 2 Madisons, 2 Evans. Holy cow, I need to sit down for a sec, I'm feeling light headed. Anyone have a paper bag to breathe into?)
Wow. You'd be outgunned 5 to 2 and that's just if Ryder doesn't join the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
The not-to-scale maps made it look like a fairly short hike. 20 minutes later, we found the women and kids.
Maybe you should have consulted Evan before making that hike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Clearly, they were taking a loss on the cheap tickets we bought if this is the landscaping team they hired.
Sketchy neighbors and employees that show up with rollers in their hair. You're really selling it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Finishing up in Lego Kingdoms, we moved on to the Land of Adventure. (While overall, we really liked Legoland, their naming team could have worked just a little bit harder on some of their area names.)
Hmmmm... a castle, an adventure themed land. Seems like I've seen this story before somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
That guy in the bottom left looks like Indiana Jones as played by Elvis Presley.

With a soul patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
It does keep an LCD readout of your scores, but I didn't get a picture snapped of that. Rest assured, I won.
If this was Mark's TR, I'd be calling this a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Oh, as for the lines, so far on this day we didn't wait more than 5 minutes for any ride. The place was just about empty!
I can tell from your pictures. One of the first things that stands out is the lack of people in the background. Looks like you broke in when they were closed or something.
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #140
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy
 
FauntleroyFAN07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls
Posts: 8,624

i dont see the baby in the family picture on the ride? was there a convenient carrying pouch to store luggage on the ride.
__________________
ME ~ DW ~DS ~ DD

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #141
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,290

Looks like the kids were having a lot of fun at Legoland! That jousting horse ride cracks me up. And I LOVE the pictures of them on the bouncy ride thing. That is priceless!
amandaw is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #142
Bethislucy
DIS Veteran
 
Bethislucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: York, SC
Posts: 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Wait, yes I do.


Lol this picture is awesome.
__________________
~Beth~
Bethislucy is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #143
rdkeim
Mouseketeer
 
rdkeim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98

As always, really enjoying reading about your adventure. Love the beetle ride pictures - what fun! The baby is absolutely adorable Looking forward to more updates!
__________________
rdkeim is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #144
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere
 
Captain_Oblivious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
So, confine a 5 year old Lego fan with a Legoland map on a cruise ship for 4 days, and you get a lot of big plans for our next trip to Florida.
So if someone were to slip him a map of Legoland in Denmark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
(Think about that for a second - 2 Madisons, 2 Evans. Holy cow, I need to sit down for a sec, I'm feeling light headed. Anyone have a paper bag to breathe into?)
Sounds like a lot of drama and bodychecks to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
So the big morning arrived, and we packed up our park bags and made the 45 minute drive from Lakeland to Winter Haven through some...um..."sketchy" neighborhoods along the way. One of those Deliverance paddle-faster-I-hear-banjos kind of areas.
You're really selling this place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I'm a bit confused by the sign. Ummm...we are here, aren't we?
Yeah, that's a bit existential for a theme park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
This may come as a bit of a shock, but just about everything was made out of Legos. Except the toilet seats - they were nice and smooth.
Well, that's a relief. In more ways than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
They then decided to take their little brother over to the local blacksmith so see if they could get him pounded into something cooler, like a sword or a frying pan or something. Smelting, anyone?
I love a good smelting in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Even though the lances are fixed on the horses, this was as close as the kids came to each other. Clearly, the attendant knew what he was doing. He could see it in their eyes that they would stop at nothing to knock their sibling off their horse. In a loving and caring way, of course.
Where's the fun in that? The lawyers are ruining everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Honestly, I have no idea where Evan gets his dramatics from.

Wait, yes I do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Finishing up in Lego Kingdoms, we moved on to the Land of Adventure. (While overall, we really liked Legoland, their naming team could have worked just a little bit harder on some of their area names.)
Surely you explored The East Part Of Legoland or maybe The West Part Of Legoland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Your vehicle doesn't spin, but your gun/zapper is handheld so you can spin and aim it where ever you want. Even at your kids! If you were into that kind of thing, I mean.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
It does keep an LCD readout of your scores, but I didn't get a picture snapped of that. Rest assured, I won.
Uh huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I'll let the next series of photos tell the sad and tragic story of how Madison and Evan had to endure the perpetual up-and-down torture of the Beetle Bounce.

NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Oh, the humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Enough! Please, make it stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Oh, as for the lines, so far on this day we didn't wait more than 5 minutes for any ride. The place was just about empty!
Captain_Oblivious is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #145
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 39,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post

Honestly, I have no idea where Evan gets his dramatics from.




Wait, yes I do.



Oh my....this is just too funny.
Just outside of Lost Kingdom Adventure was a ride called Beetle Bounce. It's a pretty straight forward bouncy upy and bouncy downy ride. (Sorry to use "amusement park insider" terms there. Did I ever tell you I was kidnapped and forced to work as a carny when I was little?) I'll let the next series of photos tell the sad and tragic story of how Madison and Evan had to endure the perpetual up-and-down torture of the Beetle Bounce.















If I wasn't laughing hard enough on the "dramatics", this put me over the edge...I literally had to run to the ladies room.

Usually when we let the kids go on a ride by themselves, they come back to wherever we were watching them from and either ask to ride it again or we continue on our merry way. This time, however, they got off, gave us a look that clearly said "There is nothing you can say or do to prevent us from riding again" and hopped right back in line.

It's called independence!

With all that excitement going on, I should probably calm things down a little bit with this....



Oh, look at that little cutie pie...looks just like his mommy.


Shhh.....leave your comments quietly, the baby is sleeping.

up next: I can't believe we let these kids drive.
Great update, Barry. Legoland looks really cool for the kids.
__________________
KatMark is online now  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #146
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place
 
dvc4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,840

Madison & Evan looked like they were having the time of their lives on that bouncy ride. Just by the photos you can hear them laughing! They just bring a smile your face.
__________________
Chris
dvc4life is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #147
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!
 
petals's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
The kids at the drawbridge to the Lego Kingdoms area
Ryder's like eh little help here, I can't really see! So cute
petals is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #148
Dugette
DIS Veteran
 
Dugette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,314

Enjoyed the last couple updates! That sandwich at EoS looks great! (I should not read these updates before dinner, I guess). We did Winter/Summerland too...really fun theming! Of course, we didn't spring for the baby-strapped-to-your-chest bonus on that trip. I've never seen anything about Legoland, so that was neat to see what it is. Kids really must have loved that bouncy ride...cute! (Of course, I can't help but wonder if that guy next to them was also having the time of his life...)
__________________
Me (37) DH (36) DD (born 9/20/12) Bailey Kitty
June 10-13, 2014: Offsite | Dec. 7-14, 2013: Polynesian ("Bear Hugs & Piggy Kisses - Baby's First Trip") TR In Progress! | Oct. 5-12, 2011: Pop Century ("Poor Unfortunate Souls: So Wet, So Full")
Dec. 10-19, 2010: Poly Club! ("How the Other Half Lives") | Nov. 10-14, 2010: Pop/BCV ("100 Eats & Drinks in 3.5 Days!")
Aug. 20-22, 2010: ASMu ("The Last-Minute Super-Bargain Bonus Trip") | June 3-7, 2010: Pop/AKL ("Star Wars Nightastically Delicious!")
Jan. 16-25, 2010: Poly/WL/POR ("The Magic and The Misery") | Sept. 9-14, 2009: Pop Century ("The Prequel") | March 10-17, 1990: Offsite ("A Disney Walk Back in Time...on Four Paws")


Dugette is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #149
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 5,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
I enjoyed your last two updates. Mini golf looks fun, but I can never make myself play it at WDW. I would feel like I was wasting park time, I guess.
I felt that way too, but finally made time to go do it. It's worth the trip - the Disney courses are fantastic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicShell View Post
Those pictures of Evan and Madison on the "bouncy" ride are precious. They were having some serious fun!
They were giggling so hard that I couldn't turn myself away to dig out the video camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
There are worse plans he could be coming up with.
Same plans he comes up with every day - taking over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Wow. You'd be outgunned 5 to 2 and that's just if Ryder doesn't join the fun.
It won't be long before he's the mastermind behind all their schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Maybe you should have consulted Evan before making that hike?
It didn't help that one path was shutdown, but not marked on the map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Sketchy neighbors and employees that show up with rollers in their hair. You're really selling it!
Nah, the sketchy neighbors were about half way between Lakeland and Winter Haven, and you wouldn't even pass that neighborhood if you were coming from Disney. I got nuttin' on the hair rollers, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Hmmmm... a castle, an adventure themed land. Seems like I've seen this story before somewhere.
Universal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
That guy in the bottom left looks like Indiana Jones as played by Elvis Presley.

With a soul patch.
Just a hunk-a hunk-a burning snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
If this was Mark's TR, I'd be calling this a lie.
But it's not, so you have to believe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I can tell from your pictures. One of the first things that stands out is the lack of people in the background. Looks like you broke in when they were closed or something.
Breaking and entering is against the law. But climbing over the fence is not breaking anything, so I think technically we didn't break the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
i dont see the baby in the family picture on the ride? was there a convenient carrying pouch to store luggage on the ride.
You know those bins that you can store your backpacks in when you get on the ride? They had nothing to do with where we left the baby. I was just wonder if you knew about them. We left the baby in the semi-capable hands of Bambi's parents while we rode. What harm can they do it 15 minutes?
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #150
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 5,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Looks like the kids were having a lot of fun at Legoland! That jousting horse ride cracks me up. And I LOVE the pictures of them on the bouncy ride thing. That is priceless!
Yes, they were having a blast there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethislucy View Post
Lol this picture is awesome.
She's a bit over the top, but anything less just wouldn't be Madison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkeim View Post
As always, really enjoying reading about your adventure. Love the beetle ride pictures - what fun! The baby is absolutely adorable Looking forward to more updates!
Thanks! I'm falling behind on this TR, but hopefully I can run off a string of quality, thought-provoking and inspiring entries. On the other hand, just posting a bunch of cute kid pictures would be easier
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: