Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #31
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckleball View Post
We've been to WDW at least once a year for the past decade, often going with relatives who have children just a bit younger than our son. But our son (now in college) and his cousins (now in their late teens) all have developed a "been there, done that" attitude about WDW. So, when we excitedly bring up a potential trip to WDW, the "kids" roll their eyes and tell us they'd rather go somewhere else. On the other hand, my wife and I enjoy going as much as ever! Admittedly, however, even our focus has shifted somewhat from the parks and just being at an on-site resort is now as much a part of the vacation experience as anything else..there just is just something about being at WDW, walking around the resort grounds, etc. We still like going to the parks but I think we could just spend a week at a resort and that would be fine with us...but the "kids" aren't interested!

So, are we the only parents in the world who want to keep going to WDW even after the "kids" get older and lose interest? Maybe there is a support group we could join?!! (LOL)
DW and I go frequently just the two of us. We also recently tried Disney cruising and loved it so now we are taking a Disney cruise just her and I and a seperate WDW vacation with grandkids. Have you thought about trying a cruise?

[Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."
-St. Augustine]
DizneyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
stpats317
Mouseketeer

We took our first trip in 1997 when our daughter was 7. We are arriving late November on what was planned to be a belated 27th anniversary trip for my husband and I, but guess what...our daughter, now 25 and a certified Disney freak, was offended that we would even consider going without her. To quote "Disney has always been a family thing. I have to go." Well, we love spending time with her and WDW is our favorite vacation destination so off we go. Could not be more excited and now I have a riding partner for those roundy-round rides that my darling husband can't handle. Win win.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #33
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad70 View Post
Heck yeah! Our kids are 2 teens and one 6 year old and the older two could take it or leave it. BUT, we as parents will always go. In fact we are heading out tomorrow for 9 days at the world without the kids in celebration of our anniversary.
LOVE IT
You're very lucky!!
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

My parents took me on our first trip in the 70's. I have a sister 10 yrs younger. She got to go on many,many more trips than I.

We've all gone together ( my husband and kids, too). And my parents and adult sister have gone together alot. Last year it was just me, sister and parents (now 78/74).

I just convinced my husband to spend 5 nights FL in Nov for our 25th anniversary. We're only doing the F&W festival for 2 days but THAT makes me estatic
If the new MK fireworks show on the castle starts while we're down there I will twist my husbands arm until it falls off because I wouldn't want to miss it.

My kids are now adults- DD almost 23 always wants to go, DS 19 not so much. I'm counting on him to return if he ever has kids.

And my parents play it by ear now ( health) but they will always LOVE their DISNEYWORLD

Thank You MOM AND DAD for giving sis and me that passion
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #35
tennessee
Mouseketeer

we go more now without the kids and have more fun. Its so nice to do what u want and not listen the kids. We are looking forward to taking the grandson on his first trip there.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
dopeylover
Earning My Ears

I shutter to think of the day this will happen for us...But our DD is 2, so we're a ways away from that. We will definitely still go once the kids tire of it. I never did, but you never know, she might! I can't see a time when we don't, god and finances permitting.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #37
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

Our DD (15) is a sophomore in HS and still loves to go to WDW with us.

My DH & I were talking about future trips and how once DD is in college she probably won't want to go anymore and that will enable the 2 of us to take longer trips in October (our favorite month to go). When DD was little we'd go for a full week but now that she is older we go for shorter trips over Fall Break so she doesn't miss too much school. Well, DD overheard our conversation one time and she said "What? You aren't taking me to Disney World anymore once I am in college??!?". So, at this stage she's still looking to join us on Disney trips for the foreseeable future; which is fine by us! We'll see if that changes as she gets older. But, DH & I plan to continue visiting WDW as long as we can --- kids or not!

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013
Trip Planning in Progress - Grand Floridian (sorry Polynesian): Oct 2014
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #38
Magalex
DIS Veteran

We have one 12 yr old DS. We have been taking him to WDW since he was 4 years old. We all love Disney very much. We were there in June 2012 & are planning our first trip to DL then back to WDW for the summers of 2014 & 2015. We have so much fun together at WDW. It will be heartbreaking the day he is no longer a young kid. But my DH & I will be very excited to visit WDW during the cooler seasons & maybe actually buy annual passes to visit a few times during the year. Hopefully we will enjoy WDW trips with grandchildren
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #39
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Oh heck yeah!!! We went a few times when the children (now 37 and 31) were growing up. Now that we're empty nesters, we take a trip or two by ourselves during the year and BONUS---now we get to travel with DD/DSIL and the 3 DGK's. Earlier this year, during a visit to DS (he's the 31 year old--not married/no kids) who lives in SoCal--we spent the weekend together at DL. We had a blast!

Quite honestly, we enjoy WDW/DL as much, if not more, than ever. We did briefly flirt with the idea of hitting DLP in May--but decided to stay in Paris to do some touring.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #40
cey
DIS Veteran

Our first trip was in 1987 when our DSs were 4 and 7. We have never stopped vacationing at WDW, sometimes with our adult children and sometimes without. In 2014, it will be with our first grandchild!...... It IS the CIRCLE OF LIFE!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #41
lucas
°o°

You don't have to have kids to love Disney. Dh and I don't have kids, have APs and go as much as possible (with a couple of Disney cruises thrown in for good measure). We have been going to WDW for 25 years - kid-less!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #42
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

We took our sons when they were younger, but now they don't go anymore. We took our DGDs to WDW last Sept for their first trip, may take them again in 2014.

We leave in 3 days for AKL to celebrate our 46th anniversary. I plaan to keep coming as long as our health holds out!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #43
francie57
DIS Veteran

We go to Disney every year and so far our "kids" are still going on the family trip and they are 29 and 26. We just got back 3 weeks ago from our latest trip. We know each trip that it may be the last family vacation since they have significant others and love to travel with them. That being said, we will take as many trips with them as they want and even when they don't want to go any more we will still be going. We take other trips during the year and, as I said, our DD and DS travel a lot during the year to the places they want to go to. We have done trips to disney without the kids that were in addition to our family trip.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #44
castleri
DIS Veteran

Haven't read all the replies but will add my own to the original question.
My children range in age from 26 to 45 and the grandchildren from 4 to 25. I will be at WDW with DS 26 and DGDs 25 and 4 the beginning of Oct. DD 45 will be there the last weekend in October to attend the eat to the beat concert with SIster Hazel. Disney step daughter age 37 tries to get there once a year. DS 26 has become as much a WDW fanatic as I can be at times although for a few years he was sort of wishy washy about it. Once his DD was born he couldn't wait to take her. DH and I will be going on our own several times while we are at our Florida home for the winter. So with our without children we will be at Disney but it seems that even though they are grown they will be going to WDW too.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #45
chefmb
DIS Veteran

Heck, Yeah!

Just checking in and saw this post. Our sons are now 22 and 20, and we have been going about every 3 or 4 years since they were 6 and 4. DH and I went by ourselves last year for our 25th anniversary. We loved it so much, we will be going back this year by ourselves again. We still plan on going back with the kids next summer, assuming they can get off work/school, but we look forward to more trips by ourselves too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: