Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #121
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 46
The Last Hop

On the way out of DCA, we stopped in front of Grizzly Peak and took some pictures with that whole area. They turned out really nice because of the dusky light.

We continued toward the exit.

I had to stop and take a picture with the giant bear.

We actually went out through the Grand Californian exit because we had different plans for heading into Disneyland than the usual routine. I stopped to take a picture of our favorite Beauty and the Beast window display at World of Disney.

Cinderella too.

We hadn’t yet ridden a ride that's very important to any Disney parks experience—the Monorail!

Disneyland’s monorail setup seemed so bizarre to us having been used to the WDW form of transportation. Here it’s actually a ride requiring you to enter the park first. We arrived at the station as one monorail was pulling away, so we waited for the next one.

When ours did arrive, it was Monorail Orange.

We climbed aboard. The first thing we noticed about these monorails as opposed to the WDW ones is that they definitely feel a little smaller and more claustrophobic. It’s also a little weird that they don’t have air conditioning, but that wasn’t an issue tonight.

We began our journey. Now, we had made sure that even though Disneyland is much more a part of the larger metropolis of Anaheim, we stayed inside the Disney bubble from the moment we hit Disney property on the first evening of our trip. We had never ventured beyond the confines of the parks, Downtown Disney, and the hotels. Hence, it was really weird riding the monorail and realizing we were right next to these busy streets.

The monorail took us past the main entrance to Disneyland, and we could see DCA in the distance.

Suddenly, we had entered the park and were zooming around high above Tomorrowland and the Nemo submarine lagoon.

We circled around past the Matterhorn.

And finally, we unloaded in Tomorrowland. We started our walk toward our last destinations of the night.

We walked past the Matterhorn as it looked gorgeous in the sunset.

We weren’t really back for any specific ride, but rather to just experience the last hour or so of park operation. We headed across the hub and took a few final PhotoPass pictures in front of the castle.

Next, we continued into Frontierland where the Mark Twain was looking very pretty in the dusk.

We liked this duck chilling on a crate. He got to live IN Disneyland, so we were really jealous of him right about now.

The sun continued to set.

Here was the Sailing Ship Columbia, docked where we wouldn’t get to ride until our next time here.

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals

Last edited by tayalltheway; 04-25-2013 at 12:56 AM.
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #122
jeaneg
Mouseketeer

Love all your reports! Can't wait to hear how you enjoy living so close to DLR.

DLR: June 2009, March 2011 (Hyatt OC), July 2012 (Grand Californian), May 2013, July 2013 (Paradise Pier)
WDW: February 2010 (Grand Floridian), December 2012 (Yacht Club)
jeaneg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #123
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaneg View Post
Love all your reports! Can't wait to hear how you enjoy living so close to DLR.
Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you enjoy them Hope you enjoy hearing about all our adventures as locals too!
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #124
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 47
Now It’s Time to Say Goodbye…

Time was getting away from us as Disneyland ticked closer and closer to closing for the night. We went over to Critter Country next on our tour of the park at dusk.

While there, we bought one last snack to have a little later. Next, we walked back through New Orleans Square seeing our last glimpses of the illuminated Haunted Mansion.

With night having officially fallen, I thought the Mark Twain looked beautiful with Big Thunder Mountain looming behind it.

Big Thunder had to be our last stop as the night wore down. With just a couple minutes left until park closing, we hopped into the non-existent line.

I think we rode twice in a row, and by the time we were done, Disneyland had closed for the night. We started the walk out through Adventureland.

Rather than leaving, however, we found a seat on one of the porches along Main Street to eat our last snack. It was, of course, a Tigger Tail. You didn’t think we’d leave having only had one of these delectable desserts, did you?

While on our porch, we reflected on the trip and just how much we had loved Disneyland. I think it was during this time that we first started to think about the possibility of living here someday. It was very much a pipe dream at this point and could easily have been chalked up to the end-of-trip blues, but the thought definitely crossed our minds.

We loved hanging out on this porch and people watching. We decided this was OUR porch, and we continue to refer to it as such to this day.

While we sat there, the park started to empty out around us.

Finally, we began to get worried that we would get kicked out before too much longer, but we weren’t ready to say goodbye yet. I know I was getting choked up at the mere prospect of leaving.

So rather than head out just yet, we walked back up to the hub for a last look at all the pumpkins they had around the Partners statue—one for each land. Here were our favorites.

Finally, we said our farewells to Walt and Mickey, thanking them for our amazing trip.

I took a series of pictures down Main Street and later stitched them together as a panorama.

We got ready to bid farewell to the castle. While its size had seemed almost comical upon our first glance, now it just seemed like home.

Main Street was almost entirely empty now. We knew we needed to start heading down.

As we passed our porch, I took a picture. We knew this would always be a special place for us at Disneyland.

We reached Town Square and took one last picture.

Finally, we passed back under the archways, taking some pictures of the attraction posters.

Turning back for one last look at the train station, we went through the exit, leaving the Happiest Place on Earth behind us.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 05-05-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #125
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

It's sad your trip is coming to an end, its been great hearing about and seeing Disneyland xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #126
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum View Post
It's sad your trip is coming to an end, its been great hearing about and seeing Disneyland xx
It is sad to see this one coming to an end, but at least sometime soon I'll get to describing and showing all of our current adventures in Disneyland, so you'll have that to look forward to!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #127
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 48
Drown Your Sorrows

We exited the esplanade and headed back toward Downtown Disney.

Our time at the parks may have been over, but the night was still quite young. We were going to soak up as much Disney as possible before our last sleep at Paradise Pier. We had already seen two of the three Disney hotels, and now it was time to complete the trifecta.

We went to the Disneyland Hotel and walked under the glorious sorcerer’s hat, but our real destination was a little establishment in the middle of the hotel’s grounds. Because what’s the best thing to do when you’re sad? Drink!! (I’m kidding, kids. Stay in school.)

We did want to try out something at Trader Sam’s Tiki Bar. We had heard tangential accounts of nights spent here by the WDW Radio team when they had visited Disneyland, and after reading some Yelp reviews, we decided to try it out.

As we were arriving, there was a great little band finishing up their set out on the patio. We were sad to have missed them based on what we heard. We grabbed a table outside—the only one available—and waited for a while to see if a waiter was going to come around. We checked out the menu while we waited.

I love that there’s a whole story behind the bar here and how it's related to the Jungle Cruise with some throwbacks to the Adventurer’s Club, which we were sad we never got to visit in WDW before it closed.

It seemed like we were out of luck waiting for someone to come take our drink order, so I went into the bar instead. I had to wait a really long time to get to the front as several people in front of me were ordering some of the specialty drinks like the Uh Oa, which has a whole show associated with its presentation.

When I finally got the bartender’s attention, I ordered a Piranha Pool for Tracy and me to share. We were neither awake enough nor looking to spend enough money at this point in the trip to both get our own drinks.

Here it was in all of its glory.

Here’s how it was described: It will take some skillful navigating to get you through this one! A mixture that's sure to attack your thirst for adventure! (Strawberry Vodka blended with Pineapple Juice, Cream of Coconut, Strawberry Puree, and Blue Curacao)

Tracy was beginning to wonder where I had gone in the 20 minutes while I was waiting to order, but she was glad I returned with a drink! It was really tasty! It was hard to say if it was particularly strong because we were splitting, but we were here much more for the atmosphere than for the alcohol.

After we finished, we decided to head over to the big outdoor fireplace that was burning just across the sidewalk. We had been getting a little chilly, so it was nice to sit here and soak up some heat.

Unfortunately, it was time for our night to be coming to an end. Though neither of us wanted to go to bed with the prospect of flying home in the morning, we were exhausted after our long trip. So after about a half-hour in front of the fire, we went back to Paradise Pier and hit the sack for the last time.

Overview of September 21, 2011

Highs
- Being reunited with Pancho
- Getting to meet all the remaining characters in their Halloween costumes
- Discovering Animation Academy
- Two delicious meals and a delectable final dessert
- Claiming our porch and creating some great final memories at Disneyland

Lows
- Getting a little too soaked on Grizzly River Run
- Trying to get service at Trader Sam’s
- Our last day in the parks…

Weather
Mid 70s and sunny. Perfect California weather for our last full day.

Food of the Day
Hot Link Corn Dog from Corn Dog Castle

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 05-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #128
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Ugh, leaving the park on the last night is the worst Our bus driver at WDW told us that it just means you are one day closer to your next trip!
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #129
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
Ugh, leaving the park on the last night is the worst Our bus driver at WDW told us that it just means you are one day closer to your next trip!
It definitely stinks to say goodbye on the last day. I know I've never escaped with dry eyes. At least the bus driver's attitude is a good way to look at it!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #130
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

September 22, 2011

Chapter 49
Goodbye for Now

We woke up on our last morning with a thorough dose of the vacation-end blues. Luckily we still had a couple hours before the Super Shuttle was scheduled to take us to the airport. We decided to head downstairs for one last Disney snack before leaving. The Surfside Lounge had the delicious Cinnamon Twists we had gotten on one of our first days of the trip, so we got one to split and brought it back up to our room to eat while we finished packing. We dug in before I could get a proper picture.

It was just as delicious as the first one, and we were glad to get to enjoy one last taste of the Disney deliciousness.

After breakfast, we headed down to the lobby and went to the gift shop. We hadn’t yet checked out Mickey in Paradise because it had always been closed by the time we got back to our room. Now we had to visit to get the Paradise Pier pressed pennies.

On the way back up to our room, we took our favorite detour one last time and rode the glass elevator up to the top floor. DCA was already beckoning us, though it would be a while before we would enter there again.

Before too long, the time had come for us to head out. We took one last look down our hallway as we made our way toward the elevators.

I tried to soak up all the Disney I could in the lobby before we left.

Our Super Shuttle was ready to meet us as we got outside, so we got in and bade our final farewell to Paradise Pier.

The drive to the airport wasn’t very pleasant—Super Shuttles rarely are. We definitely hit some traffic, and we felt a little ill. The other family in the van with us was vacationing from Australia and it was crazy hearing them talk amongst themselves about everything they had done on their trip so far. They were really doing a coast to coast U.S. trip, and Disneyland was just one of many stops for them.

When we reached LAX, we were able to get through security and to our gate quite easily. Of course, our flight was delayed by a couple hours. We almost always have delays coming back from a Disney destination. I guess it would be much worse to have delays at the start of our trip, though, so we couldn’t complain TOO much.

Finally we were able to board and we were on our way. The long flight that had seemed so interminable on the way out went much more quickly on the way back—probably because we slept for a very good portion of it. As we flew, we lost three hours, so we soon began flying into the sunset. Almost this entire day was taken up by traveling.

When we did finally reach New York, we hurried to get home as quickly as possible. We were already missing Disneyland and dreaming about what it would be like to live there. I can honestly say, however, that we never could have dreamed exactly what our futures had in store.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 05-23-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #131
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Epilogue
The End is Only the Beginning

I think when you have a life-changing experience, you rarely realize it while it’s happening. So was the case for our trip to Disneyland. At the time, it seemed like a really fun vacation; we got to see the original Disney park in all of its glory; and we definitely fell in love with Walt’s park. Any thought of moving here and making a life for ourselves that revolved so closely around Disneyland wasn’t something we were seriously entertaining at the time though.

It’s crazy to think how many things might have gone differently had that strange blip in the WDW reservations system not suddenly made every value resort unavailable for the dates we were looking at. I don’t want to go all “Brave” on you folks here, but maybe fate did have something to do with it. Anyway, having seen Disneyland and decided that it was full of all the Disney magic that we love about Walt Disney World, it was on our radar when we decided New York living was no longer for us. And the rest, as they say, is history. History that you can find out more about in my other trip report.

We were honestly shocked by how many of the rides that are on both coasts are just BETTER at Disneyland. Whether it’s the actual attraction (like Space Mountain) or just the fact that the lines are nowhere near as crazy (like Soarin’ Over California and Toy Story Mania), we basically got to experience all of the attractions we love and discover several new ones. Indiana Jones quickly became one of Tracy’s favorite rides anywhere—and I definitely enjoyed it as well—and we both LOVED the Halloween overlay on the Haunted Mansion.

In terms of food, Disneyland definitely delivered with some of the signature items we had heard so much about. The Tigger Tail is one of the best snacks ever, we loved the Hot Link Corn Dog, and our table service meals were all such great experiences. Now if only they would add some vanilla swirl to their Dole Whip machine, it would really be perfect.

One of the best things about this vacation was that it was really able to feel like a vacation. Between not having to take buses everywhere and actually getting some sleep because the parks closed early, we got to relax more than we ever do in Florida. Both of us came off the trip feeling recharged and we were able to plow back into our everyday lives. While this was the first trip since my medical issues started to become a problem, it luckily wasn’t anywhere near as big of a burden as it could have been.

It’s never fun to see a trip end, even just when reliving it in a trip report, but at least this trip was so far in the past that I can honestly say in retrospect that what we had lying ahead of us has been more exciting even than this Disney vacation.

I hope you all enjoyed reading about Tracy and my introduction to Disneyland. Hopefully you are also enjoying reading about our exploits as it has become our home. If you haven’t started that trip report yet, now would be the perfect time. Here’s a link, and I hope to see you all over there!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #132
Tasscrapper
I belive in dragons, unicorns, good men and other mythical creatures.

Wow. What an incredible trip report. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it almost made me late for work this morning! Now I can go start on We Moved to Disneyland now that I have the back story. By the way you and Tracy have awesome smiles and they have cheered me the last two days as I have read your report.
Me, DH April 26-27Me, DH, DD 13, DS 12, DS 9 January 19-24 2014Me, two friends and a friend of a friend October 2013Me and DH September 27-30 2011 @Peacock SuitesMe, Big Sis, Big Bro, dd14,dd9,ds7,ds5 Aug2-6 @Comfort Inn Maingate Me and Dh July 12-15 @ Crown PlazaMe. Big Bro, dd13, ds4 June 4-9 @Del Sol
Me, Big Bro, dd 8, ds 7, ds4 Feb 1-5 @Peacock SuitesDH, me, dd13, dd8, ds4, ds6 Dec. 08 @ Peacock Suites Dh and me August 08 @ Anaheim Plaza
Tasscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: