Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #106
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

September 21, 2011

Chapter 40
The Old DCA Morning Rush

We woke up for our final day at the parks and I donned my Pluto hat for the last time (for a while).

The bed we weren’t using continued to acquire more and more stuff on it each day.

Today, we left Duffy with his new friends, Bullseye and Zero—who we had bought the previous evening at the cart by The Haunted Mansion.

This was the view outside our room as we headed out for the day. It was another lightly foggy day, but it was already starting to burn off.

I took another picture of our friends, the birds of paradise.

Now, we crossed the street and went over our well-worn path into the Grand Californian.

This morning was a little different, however, in that we headed to the Grand Californian’s private DCA entrance.

It seems like ancient history now, but while DCA was a big construction site, the “thing to do” was head in a half-hour before the park opened because both Soarin’ Over California and The Little Mermaid opened early most days. We decided to head to Soarin’, so we made our way from the park entrance through the Grizzly Peak area.

We stopped for a few pictures.

This bear is just so giant.

We arrived at Soarin’ Over California to find it practically empty.

We got to soak up some of the queue environment—which I still love so much as compared to the Epcot version.

Our ride was fun (as always!).

Now it was already time for us to park hop for the first of many times on the day.

By this time, Disneyland had been open for about fifteen minutes, so we didn’t have to wait with the crowds at the rope. We weren’t even rushing to any rides this morning anyway. Instead, we booked it to the Blue Ribbon Bakery.

Our granola bar breakfast was already not doing a great job holding us over, so we decided to get a snack. As usual, everything in the case looked delicious.

We settled on this Pumpkin Muffin for two reasons: first, because we thought it was very pleasant and Halloween-ish, and second, because we love all pumpkin-flavored treats.

The muffin was really delicious, as was the white chocolate pumpkin on top. Good start to the day!

Our appetites sated for the time being, we headed into Fantasyland to take advantage of the still-light morning crowds. We hopped in the walk-on line for Pinocchio.

While all the dark rides, except of course the ever-busy Peter Pan, were still pretty empty at this time, we had other very important places to be, so we started toward the Big Thunder Trail to see if we could meet up with our very good friend this morning.

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals

Last edited by tayalltheway; 03-07-2013 at 10:58 PM.
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #107
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 41
Reunited

We arrived at Big Thunder Ranch, and who should be the first animal we saw??

Pancho, of course! We were so excited to get to see him again before the end of our trip. The way he reacted to getting pet in this photo is just a visual representation of why we loved him so much.

It was at this point that one of us uttered the title of this trip report, “Can we move here and be Pancho’s handlers?” It was mostly a joke at that point, but we were serious about wishing we could live at Disneyland and play in the parks (and with Pancho) whenever we wanted.

While we were back in Big Thunder Ranch, we noticed that Woody and Jesse were meeting and greeting together, so we had to stop for a picture.

Now, we continued back out onto the Big Thunder Trail.

And we decided it was time for a ride aboard our favorite railroad.

This time we requested the back (very brave of us!).

It was a lot of fun, as always.

Exiting back out into Frontierland, we continued walking until we reached New Orleans Square. I liked this fountain.

Outside of The Haunted Mansion, we saw a sight neither of us was expecting—Jack and Sally were out doing a meet and greet. We hadn’t seen them thus far in the trip and didn’t even know they were ever in the parks, so of course we got in line.

Jack was easily the best face character I’ve ever met. He was both extremely fluent in his personification and really witty. He must have known that movie very well. Sally was good too, but she was definitely a little outshined. There was also the fact that Tracy and I had only seen The Nightmare Before Christmas once, years before this trip, so we were a little rusty in our knowledge about the movie and characters. Now that we know the film a little better, I’d like to get to meet Jack and Sally again.

Naturally, we followed up meeting the characters with another ride thru the Haunted Mansion.

I have to admit, I’m already getting excited for this version of the Mansion to return in six months.

After the Mansion, we headed over to Adventureland and saw that there was no line to meet Aladdin. He was definitely a little goofy.

Now, we headed back to the hub.

Our PhotoPass photographer tried to position my hat so you could see Pluto’s face a little better in the picture, but the trade-off was that my face got really shadowed.

At least he took his time with us and got a bunch of good shots.

We continued the photo shoot in front of the castle, and got some of my favorite pictures of the trip.

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 03-12-2013 at 02:26 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #108
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

I love the photopass photos in front of the castle. It always amazes me how different all the castles are. Glad you got to see Pancho again, he really looked like he loves getting attention from you both xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #109
sophies*mom
Mouseketeer

Great trip report! I love that it is so detailed, I feel like I'm there with the two of you

(DH) Eli -- (me) Elena
(DD) Sophie -- (DS) Parker

sophies*mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #110
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum View Post
I love the photopass photos in front of the castle. It always amazes me how different all the castles are. Glad you got to see Pancho again, he really looked like he loves getting attention from you both xx
Glad you liked our Photopass photo shoot. All the castles are SO different! Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland definitely looks like a bit of a dwarf when you compare it to the other castles around the world, but it's quaint and we enjoy it. We were really glad to be reunited with Pancho again. He's definitely our best donkey friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophies*mom View Post
Great trip report! I love that it is so detailed, I feel like I'm there with the two of you
Thanks for reading! I'm glad that you're enjoying

Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #111
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 42
Costume Party

Since we were heading to the exit from this park anyway, we thought it would be fun to take a Main Street Vehicle back to Town Square. Suddenly, the fire engine pulled up!

We climbed aboard and had it all to ourselves besides the driver.

It was fun taking the ride down Main Street and hearing the driver point out some of the little details. First we passed the Carnation Plaza Gardens, which is another of the places that are gone from Disneyland a year and a half later. Now that’s Fantasy Faire!

We enjoyed talking with the driver. He had been driving the fire engine for many years, so he was a fount of knowledge.

We arrived in Town Square and disembarked. The driver gave us both Disneyland Firefighter stickers that we quickly donned. We decided to get a couple Photopass pictures in front of the Mickey pumpkin.

The photographer told us to look scared…

We noticed that Suzy, one of the mice from Cinderella, was meeting outside the Opera House, so we decided to go over.

Not sure what’s going on in this picture. Maybe she’s showing her muscles…?

Next, we wanted to get a picture with Pluto in his Halloween costume. We complimented him on his fancy collar.

Donald was dressed in his pumpkin costume.

And Goofy was a skeleton.

With that, we had met all of the Fab Five in their Halloween garb, so we could officially check that off our list! Now it was time to park hop.

We made our way over to DCA and walked past Condor Flats (because with the crazy blocked off Buena Vista Street, this was pretty much the only way to get anywhere in the park).

Continuing our walk along construction walls, we ended up in Hollywoodland.

We decided to take some pictures in front of the Hollywood sets.

Alas, Aladdin was dark today, so we’d have to complete our viewing of the show some other time.

We kept checking out various facades along the street.

And Tracy tried to get into this house.

Now, we actually had a dark ride we hadn’t experienced yet, so we made our way into the short queue for Monsters, Inc.—Mike and Sully to the Rescue.

The whole queue area of this ride has some awesome details.

We got ready to board our taxi, and we were on our way through Monstropolis.

The ride was fun. I think it’s a great Disney dark ride in the spirit of the classics, and I love that it doesn’t usually have much of a wait. At the end, Roz told us she liked our ears, so that was fun too.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 03-20-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #112
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 43
We Can Draw!

We exited from Monsters, Inc. back out into Hollywood Land. It’s funny seeing this picture of the stage that used to be for Disney Dance Crew and is now for the Mad T Party.

We stepped into the animation building, and I took a picture of the “Once Upon a Time” wall, which I love.

Heading over toward Paradise Pier, we rode The Little Mermaid one more time, and this time it didn’t stop so we got the full experience.

I really liked the ride! It’s a lot of fun and a nice dark ride. On the other hand, I can’t imagine waiting in the absurd lines that this ride has at WDW. 5 minutes is the maximum amount of time I’d wait to ride. We kept walking through Paradise Pier.

And finally we stopped when we reached our lunch destination: Corn Dog Castle.

First of all, I just love the fact that this restaurant exists and is as blatantly cheesy as possible. But second, we were already in love with a menu item we hadn’t even tried yet—the Hot Link Corn Dog!

These corn dogs are as big as your arm (almost literally), are hand-dipped, fresh, and oh so delicious-looking. We love corn dogs, and we love almost any type of sausage, so this was a match made in heaven for us.

The corn dogs were fantastic! One of the best meals we’d had so far on this trip, and very affordably priced as well. Of course, what the picture doesn’t show is the fact that we each got corn dogs—which was WAY more food than either of us needed—and we both finished the whole things. We were both feeling a little ill afterward, but it was worth it. We just vowed that in the future, we would split one dog between the two of us.

While we were feeling overfull and a little sick, the most obvious thing to do was hop on a ride. At least we were smarter than we might usually have been, and we picked Mickey’s Fun Wheel. Non-swinging, of course.

Here was our view from the top.

We returned to earth feeling slightly less like we were about to explode, so that was progress.

Next, we decided to take a spin (literally) on Toy Story Mania.

I was almost glad for the twenty-minute queue today because it gave us more time to digest. ALMOST glad…

We were very excited when we got a Bullseye car!

Tracy and I both got beavers, and I was the best in the vehicle.

We exited Paradise Pier and walked past Pacific Wharf.

We had plans to return there a little later in the day, so we didn’t actually venture in.

Next, it was back into the construction in Hollywood Land.

We were heading to a new experience that I was excited for even though I knew almost nothing about it. Of the priority seating vouchers that came with our Costco package, we had so far only used the one for Aladdin. Now, however, we decided to turn in another set to get into Animation Academy.

I didn’t really know what to expect from this attraction. First off, I assumed I’d be pretty terrible at drawing whatever character we were supposed to do. We filed into the attraction through the exit about two minutes before the rest of the guests were let in, and we took seats in the front row.

Our class began with us watching a trailer for The Lion King 3D, which was just about to return to theaters. Then, the animation instructor came to the front of the class and told us we’d be drawing Piglet. We started the step-by-step process, and I realized that neither of us was doing that badly. It was actually a lot of fun. By the end, both of us had made clearly recognizable Piglets in less than a half-hour. I was thoroughly impressed with the whole experience!

On the way out of the building, we stopped for a minute at the seizure-inducing (yet very impressive) Toy Story Zoetrope before heading back out to the street. We went into Off the Page to look around, and it quickly became one of my new favorite stores in DCA. I’ve always been fascinated by Disney animation, and I love all the beautiful works of art they have for sale there. I took a picture of the window display, which featured a larger-than-life version of one of the Olszewski "Gallery of Light" dioramas. I really want all (or at least one) of these.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 03-31-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #113
Luisa
Mouseketeer

I've never tried Animation Academy but it looks like fun!
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - both coasts!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #114
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

I kind of felt the need to post these here, since they seem relevant:

Pancho and Pinocchio (I think the spotted son's name is Pinocchio).
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #115
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

The muffins look so delicious!
oypoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #116
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
I've never tried Animation Academy but it looks like fun!
It's so much fun! We do it a lot these days and I've never been disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I kind of felt the need to post these here, since they seem relevant:

Pancho and Pinocchio (I think the spotted son's name is Pinocchio).
Love your donkey pictures! We haven't gotten to pet Pancho since we moved here because they always have him in the private enclosure... Looks like you caught them on a good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oypoodles View Post
The muffins look so delicious!
They definitely were! Disney always does their baked goods just right

Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #117
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 44
Hopping Mad

Our next stop was A Bug’s Land, which we hadn’t actually gone into yet.

We passed through pretty quickly without stopping to do anything. The land is really well themed though.

I love the firefly lamps.

As we were getting close to the exit from the land, we saw that Minnie was doing a meet and greet in her “adventurer” outfit, so we got in line. Unfortunately, we got there just as she was going in, but fortunately, the handler told us that Pluto would be right out. We asked if he’d be wearing any special outfit, and she said just his normal collar. We were okay with that, so we waited around for a couple minutes until our favorite Disney dog appeared.

Next, we exited A Bug's Land and started making our way toward Grizzly Peak. We stopped at a PhotoPass photographer who had set up shop in front of the waterwheel there.

It was officially time to try out another ride we hadn’t experienced yet—Grizzly River Run.

Tracy and I always have mixed feelings about water-based thrill rides in theme parks. On the one hand, they’re obviously fun and I suppose it CAN be nice to get wet on an extremely hot day. 90% of the time, however, the weather just doesn't present that perfect combination of hot and sunny such that you will dry relatively quickly. I hate it when my shoes get wet almost beyond description. It just makes it miserable to walk around afterward. And if it’s cloudy at all or if you go into an air conditioned building, being wet just makes you cold.

Hence, we had always had a love/hate relationship with Kali River Rapids at WDW. It looks like so much fun plowing through the rapids when you watch it from the queue area, but they ensure that you get drenched. We had read that Grizzly River Run was supposed to put Kali to shame in its theming and execution, so we decided we needed to try it out.

Our first move upon reaching the front of the line was to put on our ponchos. We didn’t feel like getting soaked because it was only in the 70s outside. When we got into the raft, we took our protection a step further and put our feet into grocery bags. We were determined not to wind up with soaked shoes for the rest of the day.

These precautions in place, we had a fun ride. It definitely is well-done, though maybe a little overhyped. For the most part, we stayed pretty dry, but our feet were the unfortunate exception. The rafts are built such that water just pools at the bottom, so even our bags weren’t enough to keep us dry. We emerged from the attraction wetter than we would have hoped, and we decided we just needed to go back to the hotel and change.

Luckily, Grizzly River Run is right next to the DCA entrance at the Grand Californian, so we just had to head back across the street and we were at Paradise Pier. We took off our shoes and tried blow-drying them for a few minutes. They got better, but were still a little damp. Our clothes were entirely doomed and we ended up just changing outfits completely. It was at this moment that we vowed never to do another raft ride again unless we could figure out a better system for staying dry. We’ve just never found it to be worth the trouble.

We headed back to the parks through the Grand Californian in our dry clothes and mostly-dry shoes. I took a couple pictures of our favorite bear mural and stained glass doors at the Grand as we walked through because we knew this would probably be our last time through that area in daylight.

Passing by World of Disney, I took a picture of one of our favorite princess scenes in the windows.

This time, we headed into Disneyland.

We stopped for a couple PhotoPass pictures at the train station.

Heading through Town Square and up Main Street, we got some of our last views of the castle during the day.

We went over to Tomorrowland because we had some Space Mountain Fastpasses to use up. Tracy posed well for the picture, but my eyes were closed…

Next we crossed the park over to Frontierland and just walked around that area and New Orleans Square. We saw this interesting bird hanging out in the middle of the Rivers of America.

It was time for a snack, and we knew we couldn’t leave Disneyland having only been to Pooh Corner once. Heading into Critter Country, we were trying to decide what we wanted. Another Tigger Tail was the obvious choice, but we wanted to mix it up a little bit. We saw some delicious looking Chocolate Pecan Turtles in the case and decided to try one.

It tasted as good as it looked, and Pooh Corner further solidified itself as the top snack location we had found on this trip.

We had another set of Fastpasses built up, so we started making our way to Adventureland via New Orleans Square.

Indiana Jones had become one of our new favorite rides in either park, so we had to get one last ride in.

We had a lot of fun, and we were very glad that Indy was open on our trip since it was slated to be the next huge refurbishment. And with that, it was already time for us to park hop again. We were starting to get hungry for dinner and knew exactly where we wanted to go.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 04-09-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #118
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 45
Mmm, Soup

After hopping to DCA, we stopped first back at The Little Mermaid for another go. We figured that since there was no line, there was nothing to lose. I took a picture of Max because we love him.

Having come back to the surface, we now made our way over to the adjacent Pacific Wharf.

We hadn’t really ventured into this area yet, so first we looked around for a minute.

Between the Cars Land construction walls and the lack of Ghirardelli, there really didn’t used to be much going on over there.

Now it was finally time for dinner. Tracy had chosen the Pacific Wharf Café having read excellent reviews about their bread bowls, and we were psyched to try some.

Our initial plan had been for Tracy to get the Clam Chowder and me to get the Broccoli and Cheese soup in bread bowls. I’m allergic to celery, especially when it’s raw at all, and we had just recently come off a bad experience in Boston where the celery in our soup wasn’t cooked enough and my mouth got all itchy. We were not looking to recreate that experience; hence, I was staying away from anything with celery in it at all. What we didn’t realize was that this would include the Broccoli and Cheese soup. What? Who puts celery in Broccoli Cheese soup?? Usually it’s one of the only ones I know I’ll be safe with.

So we had to change our plans. I had to go with the one soup on the menu without celery in the list of ingredients—the Santa Rosa Corn Chowder. Once I read the description, I got in the mood for it and it started sounding quite good. Unfortunately, Tracy had been looking so forward to trying a couple bites of my Broccoli and Cheese soup that she decided she would be too sad not to get to try that. She realized she cared more about that than the Clam Chowder anyway and decided to go for the Broccoli.

I’m sure our debate made us look like slight loonies to the folks in line with us, but luckily, we finally got our decisions resolved. My Santa Rosa Corn Chowder looked quite delicious.

It was really good and had a nice zing to it. They’ve since gotten rid of this soup and all the other ones without celery from Pacific Wharf so I can’t get soup there anymore. There’s a version of Corn Chowder available at the French Market, but I haven’t tried it out and don’t know for sure that it is devoid of celery.

Tracy really enjoyed her Bakersfield Broccoli and Cheese soup.

Of course, while the soups were delicious, what we were really excited for was the sourdough bread bowls.

This was before we knew about the Bakery Tour, so we hadn’t yet tried any of the sourdough goodness that comes out of the Boudin Bakery. The bread bowls were so incredibly tasty. Definitely my favorite bread bowl I had ever had. We each devoured as much as possible, but it was way too much food for us to finish. We ended up finding a very pleasant duck hanging out in the water near our table, and we fed him lots of bread.

After dinner, we got up and took pictures in the big net full of fish. I feel like the picture would be a lot more dramatic from the opposite side of the water as it would look like you were actually in the net…

The sun was beginning to set on our last day here, so we started to get our last set of dusky pictures. First Tracy posed with the Paradise Pier sign in honor of our temporary home.

I went and posed in the gazebo where Sailor Mickey did his meet.

We started down the ramp toward Paradise Pier and I liked the attraction posters that adorned the wall.

One ride we hadn’t gone on yet was King Triton’s Carousel. It never has a line and we thought it looked like fun.

We quickly were let on and grabbed our choice sea creatures. Sea lions are my favorite animal, so of course I hopped on one of them.

Meanwhile, Tracy made fast friends with this seahorse.

There were other awesome options too, including this adorable otter.

After the loading time was complete, we were on our way through the sea. Obviously it was just a normal carousel, but we still had a lot of fun.

After getting off our new undersea friends, we started to make our way out of Paradise Pier. Tracy stopped to pose with our hotel behind her.

And I took a picture with the whole section of the park looking quite fun behind me.

Alas, now it was time to leave that part of the park behind us and start making our way toward the exit for the final park hop of the trip.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 04-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #119
Luisa
Mouseketeer

Oh my goodness! The broccoli and cheese soup! I'm drooling thinking about the soup soggy bread with the chewy crust....
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - both coasts!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #120
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
Oh my goodness! The broccoli and cheese soup! I'm drooling thinking about the soup soggy bread with the chewy crust....
Love those bread bowls! Since they no longer have any soups there without celery, we've come up with our own bread bowl method since moving out here. We buy one of the big round loaves from Pacific Wharf, then bring it home and make our own bread bowl out of it and fill it with broccoli cheese soup from Costco. It makes for a delicious meal for pretty cheap, and it's so incredibly filling!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: