Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #46
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Hello all! In case you missed it, be sure to click here to read about our BIG NEWS in my most recent real-life update. And now back to the trip report...

Chapter 15
Pancho

Leaving Toontown, we headed back toward Frontierland. Now there was a Photo Pass photographer at the Halloween photo spot, so we paused to pose.

Suddenly, we spotted this guy waiting outside the entrance to Big Thunder Ranch!

Now Tracy and I are total suckers for farm animals and for animals in costume. This pleasant fellow fit both bills, so we were overjoyed to see him.

As we continued on into Frontierland, we came to our first true Disney restaurant of the tripRancho del Zocalo.

Having very little knowledge about Disneyland dining as of when we booked the trip, we quickly had set to work trying to figure out what restaurants we needed to hit. I had originally heard about Rancho del Zocalo on one of Lous podcasts when he mentioned it in passing, and once we looked it up online, we knew it would be a must do.

We love good Mexican food. Having gone from Colorado, where there are several great Mexican restaurants in every city, to New York, where there seems to be an abundance of every cuisine EXCEPT Mexican, we were craving a good meal. We ordered the Carne Asada & Red Chile Enchilada Platter to split, and some chips and salsa. It sounded quite delicious. One of the funniest things about Disneyland quick service dining as compared to WDW is that all of the meals come on real plates with real silverware. I feel like no one is ever prepared for it! It felt so fancy. Once we got our food, we sat down at a table on the nice patio.

The food was all really good. I dont know that it QUITE held up to the more-authentic Mexican fare weve been spoiled with in Colorado, but it was CERTAINLY better than anything we ever found in NYC. The meat was tender, the enchilada was good, and the sides were really tasty. We decimated the whole plate and bag of chips in no time flat.

Our stomachs full, it was finally time for the moment we had been waiting fora visit to Big Thunder Ranch. As Ive said, we absolutely love animals, and any opportunity to visit a petting zoo is one that we dont pass up. So when we heard there was a petting zoo at Disneyland, we knew this minor attraction had to make our list.

Upon entering the Ranch, we met, and subsequently fell in love. Meet Pancho.

Hes an adorable donkey. And he loved getting attention.

We paused at his enclosure for a solid ten minutes because he was just so sweet. He really liked getting his ears scratched, so of course we obliged.

Pulling ourselves away from Pancho, we wandered around the rest of the Ranch. They had a pumpkin-carver doing various Disney designs. She was amazing! Here were some of our favorites.

And here she was in action.

DUMBO!

What a bizarre art form to have such talent in. We were thoroughly impressed.

After looking at the pumpkins for a while, we found ourselves missing Pancho. So we went back to see him for a while.

Next, we noticed that Woody was doing meet and greets and helping kids do their crafts over at the craft area.

Interested in what the kids were making, we went over to check out their art projects. In honor of Halloween, they were coloring bat finger puppets. We were tempted to join in and make one of our own, and a cast member said we were welcome to. Instead, however, we just decided to take one as a keepsake because these were very cute bats.

Our bat in hand, we went to the other section of the Big Thunder Ranch petting zoothe goat enclosure.

Now, Ive been to many a petting zoo in my time. Usually the goats, while cute, are extremely obnoxious because they all fight to the front hoping to get fed. What we were surprised to learn here, however, is that this must be a learned behavior. In Disneyland, they explicitly ask you not to feed the animals, so these goats arent used to being fed by guests. As a result, they all still swarm you when you venture into their enclosure, but its because theyre fighting for affection rather than food! These goats just love being pet.

It was so much fun hanging around with the goats. They were playful and affectionate and just funny. This one did try to munch my hat a little while I pet him.

Thats the spot&

I also just love the setup of this enclosure. The goats can sit on barrels or venture up little hills depending on what theyre in the mood for.

We found it hard to pull away from our new friends.

In the end, we decided to bid farewell to the Ranch for now lest we spend too much of our day enjoying the farm friends. We decided wed have to come back to visit again on our trip, and we were so glad we took the time out to venture in.

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals

Last edited by tayalltheway; 11-03-2012 at 06:02 PM.
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #47
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetia View Post
That is such exciting news - I wish you both the best of luck and I hope you manage to sort out your health condition. What an exciting time for you both. Best of luck to your wife in becoming a 'friend' to a character!
Thanks for the well-wishes! We're very excited (and a little scared haha).
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #48
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Another great update. Those goats and Mr. Pancho, the donkey, are all very cute! I love that Disneyland has a petting zoo in the park.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #49
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

It totally is! haha Oy with the poodles already

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayalltheway View Post

On an unrelated note, is your username a Gilmore Girls reference? I like it!
oypoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #50
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

Good luck on your upcoming move!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #51
kate14
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by oypoodles
Gah! Love the GG reference- one of my favorite lines from the show! That and Lorelei's scolding Luke for trying to add things from his to do list to her to do list.

And copper boom.

I'm a dork, ignore me :-)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #52
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
Another great update. Those goats and Mr. Pancho, the donkey, are all very cute! I love that Disneyland has a petting zoo in the park.
Glad you're still enjoying We're excited to make it back to Big Thunder Ranch and visit all of our furry friends (note the title of this TR!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oypoodles View Post
Haha, awesome! It caught my eye right away.

Quote:
Good luck on your upcoming move!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate14 View Post
Gah! Love the GG reference- one of my favorite lines from the show! That and Lorelei's scolding Luke for trying to add things from his to do list to her to do list.

And copper boom.

I'm a dork, ignore me :-)
I like it. When I was stuck mostly at home while I was feeling particularly bad this summer, I watched almost the whole series of GG on DVD in like a week. It helped pass my boring days quite well.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #53
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 16
Itty Bitty Living Space

We continued our tour of attractions unique to Disneyland by getting in line for the Casey Jr. Circus Train.

Our new bat friend was pretty excited to ride.

While we were waiting, we noticed Alice and the Mad Hatter having a tea party across the way. Thats one of those cool things that the characters only do in Disneyland which really adds another layer to the character experience! We had fun watching while we waited for a few minutes. When the train pulled up, we opted for one of the more traditional cars rather than one of the animal cages.

We actually ended up in the front row, which was great except that we were right behind the engine, so the exhaust was more than a little stinky.

The train affords great views of all the miniatures from the Storybook Land Canal Boats.

I also like the random maze of hedges that you go through on the train. If any attraction in the Disney parks resembles what I imagine the railroad in Walts backyard was like, this is it!

The tunnels are the most fun.

Considering we really didnt expect much from this attraction going in, it ended up being a really fun experience!

After getting off the train, we noticed that the tea party was still going on.

We stood around and watched for a few minutes. Alice and the Mad Hatter have to be spot-on with improvisation, because they just kept going on and on! Speaking of tea parties, youll notice that one attraction we have never posted pictures of us riding is the Mad Tea Party. This is because rides with the much spinning threaten to make both Tracy and I ill. But at Disneyland, they have a faux-teacup you can sit in, so we finally got this picture at least!

The bat and I enjoyed our ride more than Tracy did.

Logically, our next stop was the Storybook Land Canal Boats themselves so we could get a better view of the miniatures we had seen from above on the train.

The bat was pretty excited.

I love that this attraction has a live cast member narrating it. I prefer the live guides to the generic audio that replaced them in such attractions as Living with the Land.

After we boarded our boat, which feels a little more dangerous than the loading process of practically any other Disney attraction, we were on our way. Unfortunately, Monstro took a bite out of us first.

We enjoyed passing by all the miniatures, and associating them with their owners.

We liked the caves and tunnels. This one must be the Cave of Wonders&

I also love the majesty of this castle.

We also liked the little cottages of some of our favorite characters from a variety of movies.

Its great that they put Pinocchios village such that the Matterhorn is looming in the background.

I'm so excited to visit this castle in real life at the Fantasyland expansion in WDW!

In Jim Korkis book The Vault of Walt, he devotes an entire chapter to the history of the Storybook Land Canal Boats attraction. My favorite story from that chapter is about how Disneyland went through a period when it was overrun by feral cats. At least one of those cats apparently made it into this attraction and was roaming around the miniatures, so he looked like a giant! I would love to have seen that in real life.

On the whole, we really enjoyed this ride. A Lilliputian Land was in the original plans for Disneyland, so obviously Walt felt very attached to miniatures. This whole ride, therefore, is one of those pieces of Walt Disney the man that can be felt here in his original park.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 11-06-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #54
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

I can't ride the teacups either. It gives me a headache.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #55
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayalltheway View Post
Haha, hopefully that's a good thing...? I see from your signature that you get to go next year at least! And I'm extremely jealous that you get to stay at the Grand Californian. That's a dream of mine. We LOVED walking through there.
It is We are only able to stay at the GC because my mom offered to pay for a big family trip, and I don't think she's yet realized how $$ it is (despite me protesting...a little).

Your HM pictures remind me that I need to get around to watching Nightmare Before Christmas. Not sure how I missed that one...

And OMG the goats! So cute
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #56
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't ride the teacups either. It gives me a headache.
I assume it would give me a headache too these days, but it's my stomach I'd be more worried about... I don't want to know how many people lose their lunch on that attraction daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
It is We are only able to stay at the GC because my mom offered to pay for a big family trip, and I don't think she's yet realized how $$ it is (despite me protesting...a little).

Your HM pictures remind me that I need to get around to watching Nightmare Before Christmas. Not sure how I missed that one...

And OMG the goats! So cute
Hey, if your mom wants to splurge on the GC it sounds like a good idea to me! It's so pretty there.

I definitely recommend watching Nightmare. I watched it for the first time like ten years after it was released, and I enjoyed it. It's definitely one of those weird Tim Burton movies, but it has a lot of heart.

And yes, the goats were awesome!!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #57
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 17
Villains and (Speed) Demons

After our trip aboard the Canal Boats, we decided to take some time to meet and greet with the Disney villains who were playing a prominent role around the park for Halloween. There was an entire stage area set up for them in Fantasyland. When we got in line, the ones currently out were Jafar, the Red Queen, and Gideon the cat from Pinocchio. While we were in the twenty minute queue, however, there was a changing of the guard, and these villains were switched out for Cruella de Vil, Captain Hook, and the Sheriff of Nottingham. I was floored by the fact that the Sheriff was even a meet and greet character in Disneyland. I had NEVER seen a relic of Robin Hood in a Disney park before.

When we got to the front of the line, we met Cruella first. Since we were wearing our Happy Anniversary buttons, she latched onto that in the same way many of the characters did for a talking point.

Cruella was funny! She reminded us a lot of Lady Gaga in looks. We had a sad chat with her about her quest for puppy furs (she was particularly intrigued by my hat), and then we posed.

We moved onto the Sheriff of Nottingham. It was clear that he wasn’t a character who appeared too often, because his mannerisms weren’t too fleshed out. He shook his money bag at us several times trying to make us pay up before finally agreeing to pose without receiving payment.

Finally, we got to Captain Hook. I don’t remember what our interaction with him was like, but it’s clear from the picture that he took an interest in Tracy and tried to shove me aside.

After we moved on from these villains, we noticed that the other set was coming out again. We were tempted for a minute to get back in line to meet these ones. We were especially interested in Jafar, because I’d never seen him out and about before and because my uncle is friends with Jonathan Freeman, the voice of Jafar, so I thought my uncle would get a kick out of it if we got a picture with him. Alas, the line had gotten even longer since our first time through it, and we didn’t really want to spend another half-hour waiting for character meets. We made the tough decision to skip the villains for now, and go for another ride. Heading to Tomorrowland, our next stop was Autopia.

We were pretty sure we knew what to expect from this ride having been on the Tomorrowland Speedway in WDW many times.

The line moved pretty quickly, which was good because I don’t like waiting in long lines for this kind of ride amongst all the exhaust fumes.

As we got to the front, we were excited for our spin around Autopia.

We liked that you are given driver’s licenses on this attraction. They must give out SO MANY of these per day! We were glad to have the souvenir.

We got to the front of the line and our car pulled up.

As I explained when we went on the Speedway in my other trip report, Tracy is always the driver, and she’s a SPEED DEMON.

Starting on our way, it became clear that this incarnation of the ride was different than the one we were used to. At WDW, the Speedway seems more like a racetrack, but Autopia is more of a drive through different landscapes. We liked all the road signs and different environments we got to drive by.

The whole experience of Autopia makes you feel a little removed from the rest of Disneyland, which I really liked. It felt like a more complete attraction.

As we pulled back into the station, we hit a bit of a traffic jam and had to wait for a while to disembark.

Getting back to our parking spot, we unloaded and headed out. We decided Autopia beat the Speedway hands down. Now it was off to Adventureland so we could continue our great adventures!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 11-11-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #58
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 18
The Spirit of Adventure

Cutting across the park from Tomorrowland to Adventureland, we decided to check out Tarzans Treehouse.

Since theres never a line for the Disney treehouse attractions, we were able to start right up without any sort of wait.

One of the absolute best parts of both this Treehouse and the Swiss Family Treehouse in WDW is the views that they afford.

We were able to see clear across Disneyland.

This treehouse was fun because I actually know the movie Tarzan while Ive never seen Swiss Family Robinson. I did my best Trazan impression.

Go away you Leopard!

Luckily, our protagonists appear to be safe.

There were more fun views as we started the descent.

And more show elements.

I did my best Tarzan yell into this, but I didnt hear it echoing&

We always love water features in the Disney parks, and the ones around the Treehouse were some of our favorites in Adventureland.

After climbing down from Tarzans Treehouse, we decided it was time for a snack. And not just any snack, mind you, but one of the Disney signature snacks.

It was Dole Whip time!

Since it was the height of the day in terms of heat, the line for the Tiki Juice Bar was LONG. It was easily the longest line we had waited in all day. Tracy wasnt sure it would ever end.

Luckily, we finally made it to the front and ordered our Dole Whip Float.

While delicious, of course, the Disneyland Dole Whip Floats are slightly inferior to their WDW counterparts in one respect: Disneyland only gives you the option of pineapple Dole Whip on your float, whereas at WDW we always get pineapple/vanilla swirl. The vanilla cuts some of the sweetness of the pineapple, and makes the whole thing just a little tastier. Still, I would rather have a solely pineapple Dole Whip Float than no Dole Whip any day!! We devoured our float pretty quickly. It was hot and we were thirsty. We hadnt gotten the hang of getting free water from the counter service restaurants, so we probably werent as hydrated as we should have been.

After slurping down the last of our pineapple juice, we decided to ride another of Disneylands unique attractionsone that I had been looking forward to riding for at least ten years!

When I was a kid watching the Disney Channel, I was fascinated when they would do spotlights on Disneyland and the new attraction Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye. This looked like my kind of thrill ride. Everything from the vehicles to the track to the storyline seemed so cool to me, and I dreamed of the day when I could ride it. But we never went to Disneyland after my first trip at age five. I always hoped the attraction would come to Walt Disney World, but it never did. So now, here I was finally getting to go on this attraction so many years later, and I only hoped it would live up to my expectations.

We began heading through the queue pretty quickly. Im honestly not sure if we had grabbed Fastpasses a little while earlier or if the standby line was just short.

I had heard this queue raved about for years as one of the best Disney has ever done, and it really didnt disappoint.

We got to the front of the queue and boarded our vehicle in the front row. Tracy was the driver. The whole ride was just awesome. Its definitely one of Disneys best attractions of all time. All of the movements of the car were familiar (though I didnt realize at the time that the track is identical to that of Dinosaur in WDW), but there was something about the storyline of this attraction that was just thrilling. I also loved the use of space throughout the track. The cavernous room with the bridge and the flames was one of my favorite elements of any ride Id ever been on. Tracy loved it too, so even as we were unloading at the end, we were already getting excited to ride again throughout the trip.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 11-30-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #59
Velvetia
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your trip report - unfortunately the Casey train, Storybook Canal Boats and Indiana Jones were all being refurbished during our recent visit - so thank you for your reports - I have been enjoying them here vicariously!

Me DG : DS7 DS5
Velvetia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #60
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Yay for Indy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: