Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Sisa
Earning My Ears

PTR & TR-The trip of many "Firsts," introducing our kids to Disneyland!

Hi I am a newbie for posting, I've read many TR and such on here though. I am trying to pass the time until our trip so I thought I would give this a try, why not?!

I suppose introductions/history is in order, here it goes...

Me: Mother, Nanny, Cheer Coach and Disney fan (of course). I grew up visiting DL many many times, but my favorite trip that sticks out is our surprise trip. My parents woke us up really early, had the suitcases packed, new outfits laid out and said "Get dressed, we're going to DL!" I will be doing this to my kids when they are older.

DH: Works hard to keep a roof over our head and food in our bellies. He was deprived as a child and never got a chance to go to DL. His mother's fear of flying I guess is to blame His first visit and only visit was in March 2006 with my family and I. My younger sister and brother were going to DL for a choir performance with my Dad chaperoning. My Mom, DH (boyfriend then) and I decided to tag along. DH loved it and cannot wait to take our kids

DD: Recently turned 4 at her Tangled party, Rapunzel is her current favorite She has become quite a Disney fan herself, proud Mommy here She is a big art fanatic too, she loves to draw. My filing cabinet is almost full

DS: He is 2, therefor still free at DL . He likes Mickey Mouse, Buzz, Woody but his favorite lately is Lightening McQueen. He would watch Cars all day over and over if I let him Other than that like most boys, he just likes to be outside.

This is my first time planning a DL vacation, it has been quite exciting and overwhelming at the same time. Luckily, I started reading and planning last year, I've needed that much time to plan.

We are going to DL 9/10-9/15 and staying onsite at PPH. We've never stayed onsite before, I have always wanted to stay onsite and having the bonus of EE made it the right choice for us. We originally wanted to stay at the DLH but decided we could use the extra money it would cost to buy a Photopass + and character meals. We will be doing Goofy's Kitchen and Minnie & Friends. We have a 5 day park hopper passes.

This will be both of my kids' first trip to DL & DCA and also their first airplane ride They are thrilled to be going on a big airplane and seeing the Disney Castle. Every time they watch a Disney movie when the Castle shows up, they scream "DISNEY CASTLE!" I can only imagine what they will do when they get to see it in person.

Alright, I think that's a good start for now. I will post pictures when I have enough points Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading

September 2013 Trip Report, Kid's first visit & lots of photos
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3140711

Last edited by Sisa; 10-01-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added TR to the title
Sisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!

YAY!! I love hearing about kids' first trip to Disneyland!

I'm subscribing so I can follow along.
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
DisneyMarvelStarWars
Mouseketeer

Following your PTR!

Walt Disney Family Museum Member
DisneyMarvelStarWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Sisa
Earning My Ears

I have readers woo hoo! Thanks for following along, it's nice to know someone is reading

I am finally able to share pictures now So here is our crew.

We just learned that King Arthur's Carousel and Mickey's House will be closed while we are in DL My daughter had her heart set on riding the "Merry go round" (carousel) in DL for her first ride. She asked how many times she can ride it and I answered as many as you like. So I have joked with others that we may not make it past the carousel and if we do, how many times we will ride it before we move on Well, that just solved it. She won't be riding it at all. She was very upset, but was happy to know there was another on in DCA. We just won't be in DCA first, I am thinking we may have to head there at some point the first day though. For now she has settled on Dumbo as being her first ride.

For me, I am bummed about Mickey's house being closed I hope they have another area set up where we can still make sure to see him during our trip. My son keeps telling me he's going to give Mickey a big hug. Whether he really will, I don't know Both my kids are pretty shy, but I plan on hyping it up by making a big deal about hugging, getting autographs and taking pictures with any characters we come across. So hopefully they will see me and follow with excitement.

Speaking of autographs, I am planning to get the kids autograph books shortly after arriving I hope along with 1st visit buttons. I am bringing a white photo matte to get character signatures, so I can frame a family picture of us at DL. Although, I am wondering how realistic it will be to take the matte to the parks everyday. I am worried about it getting bent up in the strollers. Maybe I will stick with just bringing it to our character meals, we'll see

I was able to schedule our Goofy's Kitchen reservation since we are finally less than 60 days out. Still waiting a couple more days so I can schedule Minnie & Friends. We are planning to do Goofy's Kitchen for dinner on our first night, we have never been there. I've heard good things about Goofy's Kitchen and am anxious to try it. We will do Minnie & Friends our last park day, this one I have been to before. There is just something about being in the park and eating with the characters that I find magical

This is how we've been counting down.

58 days and counting! Ta Ta For Now

Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

I cant wait to here more about their reactions when they get to Disneyland. I still talk with my son about his first visit (even though he has been several times since it still holds a special place for us both). I cant wait till we are less than 60 days out, right now it is 162

aidensmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Sisa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmom31 View Post
I cant wait to here more about their reactions when they get to Disneyland. I still talk with my son about his first visit (even though he has been several times since it still holds a special place for us both). I cant wait till we are less than 60 days out, right now it is 162
Awe, that's so neat that you both still talk about his first visit. Clearly it was special! How old was your son during his first visit? I remember being that far out too, it went faster than I expected it to. I hope the time passes quickly for you too!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisa View Post
Awe, that's so neat that you both still talk about his first visit. Clearly it was special! How old was your son during his first visit? I remember being that far out too, it went faster than I expected it to. I hope the time passes quickly for you too!
He was 5. Yeah it feels like a long time now but school stuff is already showing up in the stores so I know realistically it is not that long to go i just hate the waiting that happens right after you solidify your plans I got the plane tickets purchased, hotel booked, shuttle booked, and AP's purchased. Now its just waiting until I can make reservations for meals and tours.

aidensmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Sisa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmom31

He was 5. Yeah it feels like a long time now but school stuff is already showing up in the stores so I know realistically it is not that long to go i just hate the waiting that happens right after you solidify your plans I got the plane tickets purchased, hotel booked, shuttle booked, and AP's purchased. Now its just waiting until I can make reservations for meals and tours.
Oh cool, close to my daughters age. Several family members think it's pointless to take the kids to DL because they are so young and won't remember it. Glad to know your son remembers his first visit still. I know the waiting really stinks especially once it's paid and finalized. We paid and finalized in February. It's been quite a wait for us too.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

How exciting!

I just wanted to let you know that we've had a luck seeing Mickey in the hub and also over in DCA. If you are really worried about missing him, maybe make reservations for Surfs Up with Mickey which is the the PPH?

Upcoming: June 21-25 (PPH); Oct 16-19 (PPH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
lovedworld
Mouseketeer

Yes, when you first get there in the morning alot of the characters are right there in the hub, including Mickey and Minnie. We saw them most mornings and usually if you jump in line quickly there won't be too long of a wait. Also I just wanted to say that the under the sea merry-go-round in CA is my kids favorite over the one in Disneyland,we ride it over and over while others go on California Screamin, so hopefully your little one will love it. Hope you have a great trip.
lovedworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Sisa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJamieCA View Post
How exciting!

I just wanted to let you know that we've had a luck seeing Mickey in the hub and also over in DCA. If you are really worried about missing him, maybe make reservations for Surfs Up with Mickey which is the the PPH?

Great! Thank you for that information, I forgot Mickey had a character meal. We may look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedworld View Post
Yes, when you first get there in the morning alot of the characters are right there in the hub, including Mickey and Minnie. We saw them most mornings and usually if you jump in line quickly there won't be too long of a wait. Also I just wanted to say that the under the sea merry-go-round in CA is my kids favorite over the one in Disneyland,we ride it over and over while others go on California Screamin, so hopefully your little one will love it. Hope you have a great trip.

Awesome, that makes me feel a little relieved to know that he is known to be in the hub in the morning. Perfect, thank you for letting me know that your little ones liked the under the sea carousel. I am sure she will love it! Thank you!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

So exciting! taking little ones is SO much fun =) I'd highly recommend the baby center on main street and in DCA behind Ghiradeli. Total Life Saver! Padded changing tables and training toilets. Quiet. Sell baby items if you lose or forget something. Have a great trip!
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
Disney Dory
Mouseketeer

It sounds like you have a great trip planned and I'm sure your children are going to have a very magical time in DL!! Will be watching to see how he trip goes!!

Disney Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Sisa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal1313 View Post
So exciting! taking little ones is SO much fun =) I'd highly recommend the baby center on main street and in DCA behind Ghiradeli. Total Life Saver! Padded changing tables and training toilets. Quiet. Sell baby items if you lose or forget something. Have a great trip!
That is great information, thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dory View Post
It sounds like you have a great trip planned and I'm sure your children are going to have a very magical time in DL!! Will be watching to see how he trip goes!!
Awe, thank you! I am sure they will too, they can't wait! 56 days to go

Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Sisa
Earning My Ears

I managed to get all our dining reservations confirmed today We have Goofy's Kitchen, Minnie & Friends and Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. We also plan to eat at The Rainforest Cafe, does anyone happen to know if they take reservations in advance? I haven't been able to locate that information.

In part of the planning process, I was attempting to get DH's parents to come along with us or at least come for a portion of the trip. Mostly because I thought it would be nice to have a few nights for DH and I to enjoy the parks and to ride the bigger rides that the kiddos can't or won't do. I was willing to trade nights so his parents could do the same. Sounds good, right? No go His mother, however still fears flying and cannot handle all the walking required. I told her no problem, they have wheel chairs and such. She's not willing to do that quite yet.
However, my best friend and her family decided to come along with us They will be staying at the PPH as well and we have requested adjoining rooms.

I will add them to the cast of characters...
BF: Best Friend, not a huge Disney fanatic but excited for her kids' first trip to DL & DCA
BFH: Best friend's husband, mostly going for the food
Sully: BF's DS(4) He is a silly, energetic boy who loves Monsters University.
Monkey: BF's DS(20 months), he is goofy and a climber. He likes Mickey and Pluto.

They will be in the parks for 2 days of our trip. We will be getting our date night and so will they. My DD and Sully are only 3 days apart in age and are close friends. They are both very excited to go to DL together.

Having another family to plan with and around has definitely made scheduling difficult. My BF doesn't want to have a schedule, she wants to let the kids pick out what to ride/do. I have no problem letting the kids choose what to do, but there are things I want to do on our trip and that means some scheduling to insure we can fit them in.

Here is the tentative schedule so far. Since the hours and times are not available yet, this could change. We plan to do EMH every day.

Tues 9/10 (EMH @ DL)
Drop luggage off at PPH. Head to DL and get first visit buttons. Explore DL and do some rides. Lunch. Hotel check in at 3:00, relax at hotel maybe swim. Goofy's at 5:00. Head back to DL for the rest of the night.

Wed 9/11 (EMH @ DCA)
Head to DCA. RSR, Cars Land, TSM. Disney Jr, Aladdin, Dance party are a must hopefully we can get them all done. Eat at Flo's and Taste Pilot's Grill.
Our friend's arrive this afternoon, but will not do the parks so this is our date night.

Thurs 9/12 (EMH @ DL)
Head to DL. BF and family will be at the park with us today. Nothing planned except Dinner at The Plaza Inn at 5:00pm, just my family. BF didn't want to eat there. I want to try the famous fried chicken dinner. This was the only day it would work for us unless we wanted to eat there twice in one day, no thanks. This will be BF & BFH's date night.

Fri 9/13 (EMH @ DCA)
Head to DCA. BF and family will be at the park with us. RSR and Cars Land I assume is the same route we will take. Pixar parade is a must for both families. Then head to Rainforest Cafe for dinner, all of us. Head back to DL for Villain Dance Party and other night time mischief. Hopefully, catch Fantasmic and fireworks.

Sat 9/14 (EMH @ DL)
Head to DL. Rides. Minnie & Friends breakfast at 9:30. Run to DCA to get WOC FPs at some point depending on when DCA opens. Princesses & show. Minnie's house, Mickey and the Magical Map are all must do's if we have not done them yet. Dinner at BTRBBQ 5:00. Soundsational parade at 7:00. Head to DCA for WOC.

Sun 9/15
Check out and head home

Okay, I will leave it there for today as I need to start dinner. Thanks for reading along.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: