Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
smidgy
dimples

don't you get tired of going to the same place?

sigh.. once again, was asked this. at work today, tending bar.

I pointed out that Johnny Fisher (fake name) has a trailer and site up north (to us illinoians, that would be wisconsin, where 50% of Illinoians vacation) and goes there almost every weekend in the summer, and for a few weeks at a time often.

the person asking has a house in Galena,IL, and she and hubby drive west from the Chicago area to their place many times throughout the year.

don't you get tired of going to the same place all the time?

after getting the "hmm, good point". it was pointed out to me that once they get there, they don't have to spend any money. unless they want to go out to eat, etc.

um, nevermind that they have a mortagage on the house, and property taxes! or a payment on the trailer, and a monthly site. fee.

I really don't cae what anyone wants to do with their money, or where they want to vacation, but it amazes me how opinionated people get when they find out you go to disney every year (maybe twice a year!!!)

Last edited by smidgy; 09-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I just smile, but I love meeting people that "get it". I found out that there is no convincing "non -get it people".

Maybe if WI had tollbooths at the borders of our states and charged people, like ten dollars, they would stay home and not clog our highways Fridays and Sundays.

Did you just get done working? I am up, can't sleep.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Mrs.Milo
DIS Veteran

I make that same point when asked, that for us it's like our "weekend cabin getaway". We don't go on many rides, just like to be there, visit favorite restaurants, and enjoy the ambiance and "eye candy". It's our happy place!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

My boyfriend's Mom asked me the same thing Smidgy. I then remind her that she loves her vacation spot, The Smoky Mountains, so much they built a vacation home worth over $750,000 there so who is spending more money going to their happy place? She said she had never thought of it that way and has never asked me again .

I don't think it is anyone's business where we spend out time and our money.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

We have gone to WDW 4 times, albeit for 7-12 days each time. The second time we went, we got the, "Haven't you already been there? Why do you want to go again?" from BIL. The same BIL who has gone skiing every single year for over 25 years.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

I had this same question asked of me just as I got home from DW last month. My response was "I haven't been in 3 years."

Here in jersey people spend a week at the same beach house year after year or the same house in the mountains every year. Why would DW be any different? I can't sit on the beach and do nothing and I live less than 2 miles from the beach.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I get this from beach people all the time. They go to the beach multiple times a summer but are curious why I go to WDW as often as I do. Last time I told them that I hate the beach and I suppose that's the only place you can go over and over and not be harassed.

Admittedly though I think there are lots of other places I'd like to visit but I keep spending my $ at WDW. Oh well, everywhere else has disappointed me in some way, WDW never has!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Don't ask a DVC member that question.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I kind of understand the question if the only place you ever go is Disney. I like going and try to get down about once a year but there is no way in the world it would be the only place I go on vacation even most of the time. It is a great big world out there and going to only one place year after year means you miss much of it.

I try to go at least 4 new places every year along with going back to anyplace again (Disney or otherwise).
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
My boyfriend's Mom asked me the same thing Smidgy. I then remind her that she loves her vacation spot, The Smoky Mountains, so much they built a vacation home worth over $750,000 there so who is spending more money going to their happy place? She said she had never thought of it that way and has never asked me again .

I don't think it is anyone's business where we spend out time and our money.
wowser!! are you sure? thay is pretty rich for the Smokies....more like South Beach or California
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

There's just no explaining it to some people. Where we live most people have a favorite "up north" spot, either their own cabin or one that belongs to a relative, and no one ever comments on that. But mention that you're going to Florida again and here come the questions - isn't that expensive, don't you get bored with doing the same thing over and over, why not go somewhere else? As though owning a vacation home is no big expense and there's so much more to do out in the woods!

The part that gets me is that we do go other places. Yes, we go to WDW a lot but we have at least 1-2 non-Disney trips every year too, often to places we've never been or haven't been in many years, as well as another annual tradition of a winter weekend at an indoor waterpark resort. Many of the people who question our Disney addiction have kids who haven't ever left the state of Michigan!

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

I get asked that all of the time by my mother! She has been to Disney 3 times and hates it there. I do take mini-vacations to other places but I like my Disney trips.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
There's just no explaining it to some people. Where we live most people have a favorite "up north" spot, either their own cabin or one that belongs to a relative, and no one ever comments on that. But mention that you're going to Florida again and here come the questions - isn't that expensive, don't you get bored with doing the same thing over and over, why not go somewhere else? As though owning a vacation home is no big expense and there's so much more to do out in the woods!
Yeah, I personally don't get people who have cabins up north. At least Disney changes from year to year! With a place in the UP it's the same bugs, same freezing lakes and same rocky beaches over and over and over again.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

The only place I get tired of going to all the time is work.

Going someplace once or twice a year for a vacation, to me, is not "all the time", when there are 350 other days you're NOT there!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrHawk View Post
Yeah, I personally don't get people who have cabins up north. At least Disney changes from year to year! With a place in the UP it's the same bugs, same freezing lakes and same rocky beaches over and over and over again.
I'm the opposite, I could visit the beach a hundred times a year and be happy. I like Disney, but I don't get the need to vacation there multiple times a year, or even every year. Having said that, I'd never question my friends that do that because I know its where they love to go. Nothing wrong with that
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: