DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran

RFID room keys at Jambo

Currently staying at Jambo house and we got a message 2 nights ago about the locks been changed, on all doors, to install the RFID and to come to the front desk if we get to our room and our door lock was changed during the day. Fortunately or unfortunately , ours hasn't been changed yet, however, the rooms down the hall from ours were been worked on today.

Update: Actually, our key worked fine, we did not have to go to the fron desk to change it. Sorry about that The lock has a Mickey on it, very cute...

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points

Last edited by E-P-C-O-T; 09-08-2012 at 07:32 AM.
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Thanks for the warning! I check in to Jambo house tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see if this affects anything when I check in.
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
DoryDorito
Mouseketeer

What is RFID?
DoryDorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDorito View Post
What is RFID?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f...identification

DCL already uses RFID for their door locks. For the Disney Resorts & DCL, the KTTW Card has a very small chip embedded in the card. You place the card against a reader on the door and the door unlocks. No more door locks with slots that you need to stick your KTTW card down into. WDW will also be deploying RFID readers at merchandise locations so you can touch to pay for merchandise if you want to charge it back to your room.

It's also used in highway toll collection, microchips for pets, etc.

Last edited by erionm; 09-07-2012 at 10:20 AM.
erionm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f...identification

DCL already uses RFID for their door locks. For the Disney Resorts & DCL, the KTTW Card has a very small chip embedded in the card. You place the card against a reader on the door and the door unlocks. No more door locks with slots that you need to stick your KTTW card down into. WDW will also be deploying RFID readers at merchandise locations so you can touch to pay for merchandise if you want to charge it back to your room.

It's also used in highway toll collection, microchips for pets, etc.
I just read about a study where they are micro chipping people. The first application will be your medical records where the chip will let paramedics, doctors, hospitals by waving a scanner over the chip access your records. Future applications might be your drivers license, credit accounts and the list goes on. It reminds me of a sci-fi movie.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

They had installed these locks at VWL when we were there a couple weeks back. They worked well, but not as well as my employee ID reader where we could keep our card in our bag and still have it read... with these you more or less have to have it exposed or only have a very thin piece of fabric between them to read.

The cover on our lock kept popping off if we bumped it too... I'm sure we were not alone in that issue. Just something for them to tweak.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
stormer
DIS Veteran

They changed over the locks in Kidani when we were there about two weeks ago. We didn't have to go down to the front desk. Our keys were just programmed to work with the new locks.
October 1994 Port Orleans / October 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / October 1999 Off site / October 2004 Contemporary Resort / October 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / August 2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ October 2008 Old Key West / February 2009 Polynesian Resort / August 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / August 2010 Bay Lake Tower / February 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / August 2011 Boardwalk Villas / August 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2013 Coronado Springs / August 2013 Boardwalk Villas / February 2014 Coronado Springs
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: