Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Carina
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 704

Luggage into Rental Car / SUV.... Help me choose!

Down to the wire and still holding 2 reservations I have a Full size Car ( heard the lot is full of Impalas) and a Mid-Size SUV booked

I am flying southwest so the amount of luggage is more limited by the rental car than the airlines.

There are 5 of us, and we are going for 11 days.

The SUV is going to cost $260 The Car $185


What do I do???
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
staceywj
Mouseketeer
 
staceywj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 181

It probably depends upon how many suitcases you are bringing. If you are bring more than 2-3 I would definitely go with the SUV.

Although, the trunk space is pretty large in an Impala. We are a family of 4 and hopefully bringing 2 suitcases and 1 stroller but decided for the extra couple of dollars the SUV is worth it.
staceywj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina
Down to the wire and still holding 2 reservations I have a Full size Car ( heard the lot is full of Impalas) and a Mid-Size SUV booked

I am flying southwest so the amount of luggage is more limited by the rental car than the airlines.

There are 5 of us, and we are going for 11 days.

The SUV is going to cost $260 The Car $185


What do I do???
Unless the passengers n the backseat don't mind holding any suitcases or baggage that won't fit in the trunk on their laps for the ride to the hotel...but personally, if it were me, I would go for the SUV. meantime keep shopping the rate! Good Luck!!


Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina View Post
Down to the wire and still holding 2 reservations I have a Full size Car ( heard the lot is full of Impalas) and a Mid-Size SUV booked

I am flying southwest so the amount of luggage is more limited by the rental car than the airlines.

There are 5 of us, and we are going for 11 days.

The SUV is going to cost $260 The Car $185


What do I do???
Full size car: 5 passengers - 4 pieces of luggage
Mid SUV: 5 passengers - 3 pieces of luggage

This is according to the Alamo car specs.

since you are holding a reservation for each, why not wait till you get there and see which one accomodates you better. Then cancel the one that does not work for you.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Carina
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 704

I have an airmiles code that I redeemed points to get. It gives me $100 off my Alamo rental. It needs to be applied 24 hours in advance.

I am worried that I once I apply it to one it will be invalid for the other.

It says to bring the coupon, so it 'may' let me apply it to both then let me surrender it as I check out the vehicle I want. But if I apply it to the wrong reservation first I loose my back up plan!
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Disney st8 of mind
Mouseketeer
 
Disney st8 of mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mid michigan
Posts: 236

There are 4 in our family and when we went in January we got a Chrysler 200, which I think is classified as a mid size car and smaller than the Impala. We had no problem fitting 2 checked suitcases, 3 carry on suitcases and our 4 personal carry ons in the trunk with plenty of room to spare. We just got back and this time we had a mid size SUV (a Chevy Captiva?) and only took one checked suitcase and the same number of carry ons and personal items as in January. I actually think the storage space felt smaller in the SUV, although we did like how it sat higher because we drive an SUV at home. I would say if cost is a factor, you should be fine with a full size car. As a side note, when we arrived at the airport (a Tuesday at 11am) there were only 6 cars in the entire full size isle and 4 of the choices were minivans!
__________________
Disney st8 of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney st8 of mind View Post
There are 4 in our family and when we went in January we got a Chrysler 200, which I think is classified as a mid size car and smaller than the Impala. We had no problem fitting 2 checked suitcases, 3 carry on suitcases and our 4 personal carry ons in the trunk with plenty of room to spare. We just got back and this time we had a mid size SUV (a Chevy Captiva?) and only took one checked suitcase and the same number of carry ons and personal items as in January. I actually think the storage space felt smaller in the SUV, although we did like how it sat higher because we drive an SUV at home. I would say if cost is a factor, you should be fine with a full size car. As a side note, when we arrived at the airport (a Tuesday at 11am) there were only 6 cars in the entire full size isle and 4 of the choices were minivans!
Yes, the 200 is a midsize with a much smaller trunk than the Impala which has a trunk of 18.+cubic feet, it is quite large. The midsize SUV's are not all that large, as you have noted.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carina View Post
I have an airmiles code that I redeemed points to get. It gives me $100 off my Alamo rental. It needs to be applied 24 hours in advance.

I am worried that I once I apply it to one it will be invalid for the other.

It says to bring the coupon, so it 'may' let me apply it to both then let me surrender it as I check out the vehicle I want. But if I apply it to the wrong reservation first I loose my back up plan!
I can see your situation and I have no idea how that works. Another thought, you could keep the full size and if that does not work, you could do a counter upgrade and that would keep your discount intact.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
corky441


It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.
 
corky441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
Posts: 2,788

Personally I'd take the full size Impala.
I like having a trunk. Before arriving at WDW, we always stop at the grocery store for "stuff" & on the day we fly out, we take a late afternoon flight and go to DTD after checking out.

Leaving my luggage and carryons as well as shopping bags in plain view has always bothered me... Ergo .... We take the Impala with the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
*Marilee
Your best life isn't necessarily your favorite life or the one you selfishly want. It's simply the life you're best at.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the acqua alta.



Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Carina
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 704

HA ha... I'm still no closer to deciding! You guys are as wishy washy as I am
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
Personally I'd take the full size Impala.
I like having a trunk. Before arriving at WDW, we always stop at the grocery store for "stuff" & on the day we fly out, we take a late afternoon flight and go to DTD after checking out.

Leaving my luggage and carryons as well as shopping bags in plain view has always bothered me... Ergo .... We take the Impala with the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Yep yep yep.

We like getting the suv on vacation, but because of that we budget extra for tips for bell services so we don't leave bags in the car. Also because we drive a grand marquis at home so that sort of car is a yawn for me. But that sort of car tends to have massive trunk space!

If you are packing passengers into the suv, you won't have as much room for bags. Since we are only three people, we don't have that problem, which is another reason we like the suv.


5 of you? I too would do the impala. Google impala trunk space and see!




Side note, the Camry has a pretty huge trunk, too! Each time we have rented a Camry (not for WDW but for other reasons) we have been seriously impressed.

My sis in law has a 3 row durango, and we can barely fit our groceries in the cargo area with that third row up, let alone a bunch of luggage!
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yep yep yep.

We like getting the suv on vacation, but because of that we budget extra for tips for bell services so we don't leave bags in the car. Also because we drive a grand marquis at home so that sort of car is a yawn for me. But that sort of car tends to have massive trunk space!

If you are packing passengers into the suv, you won't have as much room for bags. Since we are only three people, we don't have that problem, which is another reason we like the suv.


5 of you? I too would do the impala. Google impala trunk space and see!



Both are large trunks.


Side note, the Camry has a pretty huge trunk, too! Each time we have rented a Camry (not for WDW but for other reasons) we have been seriously impressed.

My sis in law has a 3 row durango, and we can barely fit our groceries in the cargo area with that third row up, let alone a bunch of luggage!
Trunk space:
Impala - 18.6 cubic feet
Camry - 16.4 cubic feet.
Malibu - 15.1 cubic feet.
Altima - 15.4 cubic feet (for 2013)
Sonata - 16.4 cubic feet (for 2013)

These are the full size cars I see most often on the row.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
francie57
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,017

There is no way that a lot of luggage will fit into a mid size SUV. We rented a full size SUV a year ago and that fit our 3 large suitcases and carryons. Our DD has a Nissan Muranso which is bigger than a mid-size SUV and there is no way all that would have fit. You will make out much better with the full size since the trunk is larger.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
Carina
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 704

... but will a Mid-Size SUV let you stack it taller???

Meaning a trunk of a car only has so much space, but in my van I can put suitcases on top of suitcases stacking it pretty much to the roof... might block the back window but I can fit a TON in there. Would an SUV be the same?
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #15
sympatico
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NS Canada
Posts: 3,067

We have a mid size SUV and I would go with the Impala for luggage space. We've rented them in the past and the truck is huge.
__________________
Wanda
Love vacation homes
Places we've stayed since 1997 :
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.