Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
la79al
DIS Veteran

OT-need to feed a lot of people cheap

Going to a family get together this weekend and we need to bring food items. I already have a few snacks we'll be taking but we are supposed to be bringing dinner items for a buffet type meal. I have no idea what to bring. The more people I can feed the better, the cheaper the better. One oven/stove for multiple dishes so I would prefer to stick with something that can be eaten cold or go in a crockpot. Ideas?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

How may people and how big is your crock pot ? If it were me I would make big batch of mostaciolli in my electric roaster (bake it in the oven and then put it in the electric warmer thingy), serve with a nice green salad and some fresh bread loaves.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

I would have said baked ziti - but I think the only difference between ziti and mostaccioli is - and I can spell ZITI.

But - for the most important part - ZITI (and mostaccioli) are baked entrees, that aren't nearly as "fussy" and time consuming as lasagna is.

Have fun - and don't stress over this. Pasta and a sauce is about the cheapest thing you can bring!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
Going to a family get together this weekend and we need to bring food items. I already have a few snacks we'll be taking but we are supposed to be bringing dinner items for a buffet type meal. I have no idea what to bring. The more people I can feed the better, the cheaper the better. One oven/stove for multiple dishes so I would prefer to stick with something that can be eaten cold or go in a crockpot. Ideas?
There's several recipes that uses baked beans, garbanzos, black bean, etc. that uses ground beef in it to make a hearty, beany dish. Here's one:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,172,...231204,00.html

There's also the easy "Mexican" chicken dish for the crock pot---makes a lot and you can add a few more beans and corn to stretch it.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cro...r/bl106c16.htm

This is just one of many similar recipes. I shred the chicken (and usually use chicken thighs for more flavor) and serve over rice or nacho chips.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
carebee21
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure how many people you are feeding or what your budget is, but if there is only one oven/stove, I think I would just pick something up and stay out of the way of all the others who will be busy cooking. Little caesars, costco and sams club all have cheap pizzas. Or most chinese food places offer large party trays of fried rice and chow mein for fairly cheap.

If you're set on making something or don't have a lot of money to spend, stew, chili and pulled pork are all easy and inexpensive to make in a crock pot. Buy a large package of rolls or bake some biscuits and you're good to go.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Bungle
DIS Veteran

I usually do a pulled pork in the crock pot and pick up some rolls, or a stew and some french bread. Both do really well in a crock pot and tend to taste better the next day so you can prepare ahead of time.

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Yep I was gonna say pulled pork. Cook it at home and warm it up in the crock pot when you get there. A decent sized shoulder or pork butt can feed a ton of people.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

One easy option is teriyaki meatballs. It is quick and easy when you purchase the frozen ones.

Funeral potatoes are also easy and cost effective. Basically mix shredded potatoes with chopped onions, cream of chicken soup, sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese, and bake about 30 minutes at 325. I have also added diced Ham to it if you need the protein.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Our go-to potluck food is cornbread salad. A Google search will turn up lots of recipes, but we just throw in whatever we have on hand. The ingredients are relatively inexpensive and ours always gets rave reviews and requests for the recipe.

Another good cold salad is rice mixed with a bottle of Italian dressing and any veggies you have left in the garden.

I also make mac salad with elbow mac, McCormick Salad Supreme, Lawry Seasoned Salt, mayo and tomatoes. This is especially good with homegrown tomatoes. I don't have a recipe. I just salt the noodles to taste, put in the Salad Supreme until I get the color and taste I want and then mix in the mayo and tomatoes. I learned that from a friend's grandmother many years ago. My only regret is that I can't make the wonderful chocolate chip cookies Granny always made to go with it.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

chili because you can really fill it up with beans
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #11
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Sweet and sour meatballs or hot dogs or both mixed... Frozen meatballs (the Swedish style), two packs of hot dogs sliced up, a lg jar grape jelly, and equal (or close to equal) amount of chili sauce... I bake my meatballs on a cookie sheet to get some of the grease out, then combine sauce ingredients in a pot, add meatballs and sliced hot dogs, and throw it all in the crockpot. Done!

Another less expensive idea is just canned baked beans and sliced hot dogs in the crock pot... Always a fave at church potlucks.

My ds' fave is frozen honey BBQ wings in the crockpot, but that can get costly if you don't have a wholesale club to buy from.
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Pulled pork or sweet and sour meatballs is always a fav.
- Chili
- Pasta Salad
- Devilled Eggs
- Cook a whole turkey ahead of time, slice it up and serve cold.

What about dessert items? Cheap and easy:
- Cupcakes
- Couple of watermelons sliced up

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

Jambalaya! Zatarains has a mix that is really good. Buy a rotisserie chicken and shred and one kielbasa sliced up. Skip the shrimp and you are all set. is even good room temperature and the rice makes it feed A LOT.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #14
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I would do something simple like pasta in sauce or pasta salad!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al
I would bake a ham or a turkey or a cuple rotisserie chickens and slice it up on a platter. These sort of pot luck things always seem to end up with lots of side dishes and not much protein.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: