Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,238

TSA question -

Ok I think there is a TSA agent who posts here occasionally ~

My question is about carry-on bags and figure skates.

My dd's are competitive skaters and we have had no issues in the past taking the skates in our carry on bag. However, I can no longer find the page on the TSA website where it indicates they are ok to carry on. I also can't find anything that says they can not be carried on !

Our competition season is gearing up in November and I have a few friends going out to Colorado in a couple weeks so the info would be very helpful.

FWIW it isn't a cost issue about checking bags these skates are invaluable to the skaters at competition. If they were to get "misdirected" it would be a huge problem.

Gate checking the skates would be fine with us as well - as long as we know they are on the same flight we are

TIA
__________________


TJ
tjmw2727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Ok I think there is a TSA agent who posts here occasionally ~

My question is about carry-on bags and figure skates.

My dd's are competitive skaters and we have had no issues in the past taking the skates in our carry on bag. However, I can no longer find the page on the TSA website where it indicates they are ok to carry on. I also can't find anything that says they can not be carried on !

Our competition season is gearing up in November and I have a few friends going out to Colorado in a couple weeks so the info would be very helpful.

FWIW it isn't a cost issue about checking bags these skates are invaluable to the skaters at competition. If they were to get "misdirected" it would be a huge problem.

Gate checking the skates would be fine with us as well - as long as we know they are on the same flight we are

TIA
That's a good question. I don't remember a TSA agent posting here, but there are some that are pretty smart about the requirements. However, short of official written word somewhere that you can take with you, you might get an "overzealous" agent who doesn't know the rules.

That being said, is shipping the skates (Fed Ex or UPS for tracking info) an option?
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2013 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Jestocost
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Posts: 6,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Ok I think there is a TSA agent who posts here occasionally ~

My question is about carry-on bags and figure skates.

My dd's are competitive skaters and we have had no issues in the past taking the skates in our carry on bag. However, I can no longer find the page on the TSA website where it indicates they are ok to carry on. I also can't find anything that says they can not be carried on !

Our competition season is gearing up in November and I have a few friends going out to Colorado in a couple weeks so the info would be very helpful.

FWIW it isn't a cost issue about checking bags these skates are invaluable to the skaters at competition. If they were to get "misdirected" it would be a huge problem.

Gate checking the skates would be fine with us as well - as long as we know they are on the same flight we are

TIA
As far as I know, the TSA has a "prohibited" list, but not a "permitted" list. Skates are not on the prohibited list, so they should be allowed. I believe at one time they were on the prohibited list, FWIW. Check some skating forums online or flyertalk.

That said, skates are just the kind of item that some TSA agent could decide are prohibited and give you a hassle about it. You just never know.
__________________
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B



Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
That's a good question. I don't remember a TSA agent posting here, but there are some that are pretty smart about the requirements. However, short of official written word somewhere that you can take with you, you might get an "overzealous" agent who doesn't know the rules.

That being said, is shipping the skates (Fed Ex or UPS for tracking info) an option?
Thanks but no, shipping is not an option as they skate every day and the days prior to competition are manditory!

I found the a TSA page with info on sporting equipment and a picture of assorted sports equipment including a figure skate but the wording has changed since I last looked and printed it. All the other equipment in the picture is approved but skates are not clearly stated one way or the other in the list.
__________________


TJ
tjmw2727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
As far as I know, the TSA has a "prohibited" list, but not a "permitted" list. Skates are not on the prohibited list, so they should be allowed. I believe at one time they were on the prohibited list, FWIW. Check some skating forums online or flyertalk.

That said, skates are just the kind of item that some TSA agent could decide are prohibited and give you a hassle about it. You just never know.
Good to know - thanks! I will check those forums too.
__________________


TJ
tjmw2727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,593

Ice skates are permitted through security:

http://www.syracusespeedskating.org/...e_guidance.pdf
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Ice skates are permitted through security:

http://www.syracusespeedskating.org/...e_guidance.pdf
Exactly what I needed - thank you so much !!
__________________


TJ
tjmw2727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,015

As a fan I see at least two or three stories a year where the skater is in a panic because the skates were delayed

My suggestions.

1. Print out the info you got above. Be prepared you are probably going to train your TSA agent
2. Arrive early.
3. When they say no and won't look at your printout ask for a supervisor (this can take a while. I think it is a trick to get you to give up)
4. And you may still lose and have to check so be prepared.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,238

Yes this is exactly what we do - I just hadn't found the right page on the TSA website.
We also allow lots of extra time in case we have to backtrack and check the skates.

We have had skaters who's skates did not arrive with the rest of their bags

FWIW over the past several years we not had an issue with TSA when carrying on the skates but I travel at least once a month (without skates!) and I like to be prepared, you just never know!

The advice on the link above about keeping the carryon bag free of clutter is excellent advice IMHO for any carryon bag.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
As a fan I see at least two or three stories a year where the skater is in a panic because the skates were delayed

My suggestions.

1. Print out the info you got above. Be prepared you are probably going to train your TSA agent
2. Arrive early.
3. When they say no and won't look at your printout ask for a supervisor (this can take a while. I think it is a trick to get you to give up)
4. And you may still lose and have to check so be prepared.
__________________


TJ
tjmw2727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Carriemel
Emma Clare's Mommy
 
Carriemel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,019

Hi-ho. I think I'm the TSA officer that the OP mentioned in her post.

Sorry to be late to the party. Every time I wanted to post something, I got distracted.

Anyway, yeah, as a previous poster said, skates are allowed through the checkpoint. However, extra blades would not be allowed.

And as a previous poster said, as well as what is mentioned in the link, do keep the bag the skates reside in clutter free. It may help the officer on the x-ray see that there is nothing prohibited in your bag.
__________________
Founding member of Aulani...look for our plaque on the wall

Hakuna Matata!
Carriemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,238

Thanks everyone !
__________________


TJ
tjmw2727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
leebee
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Orono, ME
Posts: 5,538

We go through the same thing with DD's pointe shoes and accessories. She HAS to have them for auditions, performances, and competitions. As with the skates, checking them in a bag or shipping them are not preferable; if she doesn't have HER shoes, she's out! Several brands of shoes are made with an elastomeric product, rather than paste and muslin, and they often raise questions at the x-ray scanners. What we always question is the toe pads and spacers. They are a gel-like material, and nobody is sure whether they will clear TSA or not. Pointe shoes without the appropriate toe protection are "pointeless" (pun intended!). I know dancers who wear their toe protection under their socks, or carry it in their pockets, to get through security. Nobody I know has been able to get a clear answer to the toe pad issue.

Then there's the rosin. It's a whitish/yellowish rock, but to use it you either crush/grind it, or buy it ground. Ballerinas dip the tips of their shoes in it to keep from slipping on stage. Most dancers carry their rosin in a ziplock bag in their dance bag. You can imagine how much fun security had with THAT baggie of finely ground whitish powder!
__________________
Returned on 10/16/14 from the Most Magical 21st Birthday Celebration EVER!!
leebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
DOREEN1779
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 360

I would call the TSA directly and have them e-mail you the information. Even though it is allowed, printing out the info directly from the TSA might give you some piece of mind if you have a problem with a rougue TSA agent.
DOREEN1779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,015

By the, forgot to wish your skater Good Luck. I LOVE figure skating and know it is a huge family commitment. Hope this season meets all your goals!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.