Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Help me plan my ADRs!

Ok people I'm planning my Dec. trip and having trouble making decisions on my ADR. I am have overbooked and can't seem to make up my mind. I need some real expert advice.

I am traveling with my husband and two boys: DS 2 and DS 5. Staying at POR so have access to boat to DTD. Got free Dining plan.
Trying all new restaurants this time around (except for Ohana's and Kona Cafe). We are early risers and usually take afternoon breaks after lunch. We leave parks at latest 9PM (because of my kids ages)

This is my schedule and which ADR I booked (it is a mess so bear with me):

Mon Dec 10th: arriving at noon at airport. Should be at resort by 2PM
Dinner at Ohana's at 6:30PM (the only night avail.)
So wondering if I should cancel and do QS at resort or DTD instead?

Tue Dec 11th: Hollywood Studios
Breakfast at Hollywood and Vine (Disney Jr. character meal for my DS2)
Lunch QS
Dinner at Brown Derby (wanted to try it but 2 Dining credits or can pay out of pocket?)

Wed Dec 12th: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast Kona Cafe at 8:30AM (pay out of pocket)
Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern at 11:55AM
Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern at 5:35PM

I want to try LLT and their lunch menu is more appealing to us. We also want to catch electric parade at 7PM so I was going to cancel dinner. However I wanted to try new QS "Be Our Guest" only avail. at lunch time and got Kona Cafe in the AM so smarter to keep LLT for dinner (so confused!)

Thu. Dec 13th: Epcot
Breakfast in room
Lunch Coral Reef at 11:30AM (only time avail.)
Dinner at San Angel Inn at 5:15 or Biergarten at 6:40PM

Have done Beirgarten before and kids liked it but would love to try Coral Reef. San Angel still not sure. Maybe do QS at night but can get chilly at night and like to eat indoors?

Fri Dec. 14th: Animal Kingdom
Breakfast Tusker House at 8:20AM (with Mickey and characters)
Lunch QS (flame Tree BBQ)
Dinner Whispering Canyon Cafe at 5:00PM
Canceled Chef Mickey and chose Tusker House (because of reviews) instead as my character meal with Mickey. Dinner at WCC can be canceled and replaced by QS at resort. I booked it also on last night.

Sat Dec. 15th: Hollywood Studios
Breakfast in room
Lunch 50's Prime Time at 11:20
Dinner QS
(so we can catch fantasmic at 6:30PM)
OR
Sat Dec. 15th: Half day at Epcot
Breakfast in room
Lunch QS at resort
Dinner Biergarten 6:10PM

Morning spent at resort pool/rest. then head over to Epcot in evening for visiting World Showcase and seeing Illuminations.

Sun. Dec 16th: MK (closes early for MVMCP)
Breakfast Cinderella's Royal Table at 9:20 (only time avail.)
Lunch at LLT at 11:55AM (maybe instead of Wed.?)
Dinner at WCC at 6:10 PM
We decided not to attend MVMCP so have to leave MK by 7PM. My DS 5 keeps asking me to see the inside of the castle so booked CRT but uses 2 dining credits! Don't know if it is worth it? If cancel CRT will go to LTT but if not will cancel LTT. I wanted to try WCC but my husband doesn't seemed to thrilled with the interactive stuff (but he is willing to tolerate it for me)

Next day we leave early so Breakfast in room

any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post

Mon Dec 10th: arriving at noon at airport. Should be at resort by 2PM
Dinner at Ohana's at 6:30PM (the only night avail.)
So wondering if I should cancel and do QS at resort or DTD instead?

I would go ahead and keep Ohana here. It's a great way to start a vacation! And the view of the castle will get the boys excited.

Tue Dec 11th: Hollywood Studios
Breakfast at Hollywood and Vine (Disney Jr. character meal for my DS2)
Lunch QS
Dinner at Brown Derby (wanted to try it but 2 Dining credits or can pay out of pocket?)

A lot of people say not nice things about H&V, but we have found it to be a good breakfast place. The character interaction is excellent. As for HBD, we didn't find it a good use of 2 credits. The only thing I would go back for is the Cobb Salad. If you do choose to go, I recommend paying out of pocket so you can only get what you want and not sacrifice 2 credits.

Wed Dec 12th: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast Kona Cafe at 8:30AM (pay out of pocket)
Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern at 11:55AM
Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern at 5:35PM

I would cancel both of your LTT's here and keep the one on the 16th. Try for the QS Be Our Guest on this day since a Wed should be a lot less crowded than a weekend.

Thu. Dec 13th: Epcot
Breakfast in room
Lunch Coral Reef at 11:30AM (only time avail.)
Dinner at San Angel Inn at 5:15 or Biergarten at 6:40PM

Have done Beirgarten before and kids liked it but would love to try Coral Reef. San Angel still not sure. Maybe do QS at night but can get chilly at night and like to eat indoors?

I would stick with Biergarten if the kids like it. San Angel is really dark and may not appeal to a smaller child. The Coral Reef should be great for the kids, though the restaurant itself gets mixed reviews.

Fri Dec. 14th: Animal Kingdom
Breakfast Tusker House at 8:20AM (with Mickey and characters)
Lunch QS (flame Tree BBQ)
Dinner Whispering Canyon Cafe at 5:00PM
Canceled Chef Mickey and chose Tusker House (because of reviews) instead as my character meal with Mickey. Dinner at WCC can be canceled and replaced by QS at resort. I booked it also on last night.

The antics at WCC will be fun for your oldest. The food is decent enough. Tusker House is a favorite at our house. Much easier going than Chef Mickey's. And the food is excellent.

Sat Dec. 15th: Hollywood Studios
Breakfast in room
Lunch 50's Prime Time at 11:20
Dinner QS
(so we can catch fantasmic at 6:30PM)
OR
Sat Dec. 15th: Half day at Epcot
Breakfast in room
Lunch QS at resort
Dinner Biergarten 6:10PM

Morning spent at resort pool/rest. then head over to Epcot in evening for visiting World Showcase and seeing Illuminations.

I would say Fantasmic, although some say it is scary for younger kids. You might consider youtube-ing it to see if it is something they can handle. Since I already recommended Biergarten earlier, I would do 50s Prime Time here.

Sun. Dec 16th: MK (closes early for MVMCP)
Breakfast Cinderella's Royal Table at 9:20 (only time avail.)
Lunch at LLT at 11:55AM (maybe instead of Wed.?)
Dinner at WCC at 6:10 PM
We decided not to attend MVMCP so have to leave MK by 7PM. My DS 5 keeps asking me to see the inside of the castle so booked CRT but uses 2 dining credits! Don't know if it is worth it? If cancel CRT will go to LTT but if not will cancel LTT. I wanted to try WCC but my husband doesn't seemed to thrilled with the interactive stuff (but he is willing to tolerate it for me)

I would not waste my credits on Cinderella's Royal Table, but that's just me. Taking him inside the new castle may make him happy enough. Does he love princesses? If so, you might consider Akerkshus instead. I would just take the LTT reservation and then do QS for your other meals.

Next day we leave early so Breakfast in room

any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Here's my input. Hope it helps.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Alexsandra

Thank you ver much Shannonstar, it really helps to get some input.
H&V does get a bad rap but the breakfast menu looks fine to me and my DS2 will flip out when he sees OSO, Handy Manny, and Jake (he loves watching Disney Jr).

I will take your suggestion for Brown Derby and pay out of pocket. I definitely want to try the Cobb salad and the grapefruit cake. I will skip entrees and that way save some coin.

Thanks for the tip for Be our Guest. I didn't even think of that! Weekends will be so crowded.

Tusker house seemed like better food than CM which is so badly rated. As long as the kids get to see Mickey. Plus I get early admission into park. We love that!

Last edited by Alexsandra; 09-06-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Alexsandra

I will go with your advice to go to WCC. Just don't know if I feel like going after a long day at AK day or the last day at MK. Boat ride from MK will make it easier to get to.

I forget that we will be able to go into the new castle in Fantasy Land. My son doesn't really care for princesses. We went to AKershus on our last trip and it was nice but my son was too shy and hid under the table when a Princess came to greet him ( he was four at the time. He will be almost six in Dec, but I don't think that will change. Pretty girls make him blush He enjoyed Beirgarten much more and even danced after our meal. So I will keep my 2 dining credits and do that instead. Great advise. I will go to LTT for lunch that day and free up my morning to visit park.

Thanks for taking the time. You pointed out a lot of things that didn't even cross my mind. It really helps to get an outside view.
Alex

Last edited by Alexsandra; 09-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

No problem at all. I am on trip 4 and I still 2nd guess myself and ask for advice.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
SignMeUp
DIS Veteran

Do you mean to have WCC for dinner on both the 14th and the 16th?

Also, I would not schedule ADRs or plan for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner every day. You will be eating a lot of food, especially with the buffets, all you can eats, etc. Two meals a day and a snack is usually plenty.

Are you on the regular DDP or the deluxe DDP?

Kids' first trip: April 25 - May 2, 2009 Contemporary upgraded to MK view! Surprise trip (shhh! don't tell my kids!): May 29 - June 5, 2010 Beach Club

Universal trip to see WWoHP: February 12 - 16, 2011 Royal Pacific Resort Finally going back!!! December 14 - 21, 2012 Poly
SignMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMeUp
Do you mean to have WCC for dinner on both the 14th and the 16th?

Also, I would not schedule ADRs or plan for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner every day. You will be eating a lot of food, especially with the buffets, all you can eats, etc. Two meals a day and a snack is usually plenty.

Are you on the regular DDP or the deluxe DDP?
I do have ADR at WCC on both nights but am planning on canceling one.

I have too many ADR right now and do plan to do 1 a day and maybe 2 on some days depending on park.

I am on regular DDP but am going to pay OOP for some (like Kona cafe or HBD or even LTT) so I can add a few more that I want to try. I went in Feb of last year and it was downright cold the first few days of our trip. Really enjoyed those ADR much better than QS especially at parks with limited indoor seating like HS.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
SignMeUp
DIS Veteran

It looks like a lot of your QS credits may go to waste since you prefer dining TS. Have you looked at the cost of upgrading to deluxe DDP vs. paying OOP for the extra TS meals and not using all of your QS credits? When you went to WDW before, did you eat 2 TS and 1 QS each day, with one of the TS being a buffet or all you can eat? For instance, on your HS day, H&V bkfast is a buffet for 1TS credit, then HBD is 2TS (which I know you're planning to pay OOP). But I'm thinking if you eat a QS lunch, well you either won't really be hungry for a QS lunch after the big breakfast buffet or your lunch will be so late that you won't be hungry for dinner at HBD. I'd skip the QS lunch and just have a late lunch or early dinner at HBD. If you're on the deluxe ddp, then that's your 3TS credits for the day and you still have 2 snacks to use if you need them. With all your ressies and the way you prefer to eat TS vs QS, deluxe might be a better option for you but you'll have to run the numbers.

Kids' first trip: April 25 - May 2, 2009 Contemporary upgraded to MK view! Surprise trip (shhh! don't tell my kids!): May 29 - June 5, 2010 Beach Club

Universal trip to see WWoHP: February 12 - 16, 2011 Royal Pacific Resort Finally going back!!! December 14 - 21, 2012 Poly
SignMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMeUp View Post
It looks like a lot of your QS credits may go to waste since you prefer dining TS. Have you looked at the cost of upgrading to deluxe DDP vs. paying OOP for the extra TS meals and not using all of your QS credits? When you went to WDW before, did you eat 2 TS and 1 QS each day, with one of the TS being a buffet or all you can eat? For instance, on your HS day, H&V bkfast is a buffet for 1TS credit, then HBD is 2TS (which I know you're planning to pay OOP). But I'm thinking if you eat a QS lunch, well you either won't really be hungry for a QS lunch after the big breakfast buffet or your lunch will be so late that you won't be hungry for dinner at HBD. I'd skip the QS lunch and just have a late lunch or early dinner at HBD. If you're on the deluxe ddp, then that's your 3TS credits for the day and you still have 2 snacks to use if you need them. With all your ressies and the way you prefer to eat TS vs QS, deluxe might be a better option for you but you'll have to run the numbers.
I thought about upgrading to deluxe DDP but after running the numbers it was not worth it. It is a $500 difference and I think doing 2 TS every day is too intense for the kids. Also that is just too much food for my family. I have trouble using up all the snacks on regular DDP. If it was just us adult I would definitely upgrade and try out some signature restaurants. But for my family, it's not worth it.

On my two last trips, we ate breakfast in our room every morning, then one QS and one TS a day. However I used 2 TS on HS day (50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi) and 2 QS on my MK day. I paid OOP for Kona Cafe one morning since it is not that expensive and like to get the Kona Coffee press and extra fruit (not incl. in DDP).

We usually don't skip meals to keep the kid's routine intact. We found that eating at times they are not used to ensures a meltdown. We just eat at their usual times, 3 times a day, but we all eat smaller portions. Often my husband and I split our QS meals and use our saved credit for breakfast at the resort the next morning.

My schedule right now is packed with TS meals but I will have to cancel at least half of them for sure. I do prefer TS meals but the reality is that we just can't eat that much food! However I think I figured out my schedule with the help of "Shannonstar".

Thanks for your input though, it is much appreciated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: