Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
ratdog9
Earning My Ears

Groceries

Is there a store in downtown Disney/ Marketplace for basic groceries and snacks?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog9 View Post
Is there a store in downtown Disney/ Marketplace for basic groceries and snacks?
No not in DTD but you can walk though the parking lot across a street and go to the Hess gas station.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
TeamTilson
O'hana

We used Garden Grocers to order our necessities (a $40 minimum purchase plus gas surcharge and tipping). We got milk, breakfast cereals, yogurt, fruit, carrots, snacks, gatorade, and juice boxes. (and mommy daddy juice, aka beer & wine!) They are very reliable.The food arrived at the hotel about an hour before we checked in and bell services brought our groceries to the room. I noticed that we had enough snacks for breakfast and for the parks, that we had 12 snack credits left at the end of the trip that went unused and we bought mickey rice krispie treats and candy for our friends and family as souvenirs!

From VA to WA! Moving from the East Coast to the West Coast (Richmond to Seattle) in June 2013!
TeamTilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Kelchip10
Earning My Ears

Grocery order

We just put in an order at Mr. Grocery for our Sept 23rd trip. Hoping everything goes as planned or my daughter won't have diapers. Getting nervous about it. Anyone used them before?
Kelchip10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
OldGrizzly57
Grumpy Old Bear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog9 View Post
All resorts have a location that provides access to "basic groceries and snacks". The prices are inflated of course but we have found that the "waste" factor from bringing food in and the convenience factor of being able to buy what you "need" on a daily basis typically out weigh any true savings from purchasing offsite unless you plan to eat almost exclusively in your room.

Good Luck!

Griz
OldGrizzly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrizzly57 View Post
All resorts have a location that provides access to "basic groceries and snacks". The prices are inflated of course but we have found that the "waste" factor from bringing food in and the convenience factor of being able to buy what you "need" on a daily basis typically out weigh any true savings from purchasing offsite unless you plan to eat almost exclusively in your room.

Good Luck!

Griz
I agree with this - I buy at the resort gift shop now. I eat breakfast in the room nearly every day (cereal, milk, fruit), bit nearly all other meals and snacks in the parks. I do being some little cereal boxes in my luggage from home, but pretty much everything else is available at the resort gift shop. Don't need huge quantities of anything.

After several trips of stopping at Publix grocery store on the way to the hotel, and having to throw away many of the food items at the end of the trip (what a waste!), this works much better.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
tinklvr73
Earning My Ears

we order water & other items online from netgrocer.com. ships right to resort & they hold it for you till you check in.
tinklvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
LoriB0902
Earning My Ears

wow! Thanks for the tip tinklvr73!
LoriB0902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

All of the online websites that you order groceries from, are really expensive! I was checking them out, and frozen waffles were over $7! I'd rather take an hour the first day we arrive , go to a store nearby our timeshare, and the money we save use for treats and souivners during our trip!
Are there any reasonable grocery sites? I see that have them delivered would be nice, but I can't see spending so much when I could buy the same food, for so much less. I know some of what your paying is because its "convenient", but it really seems like wasting money that could be spent on much more fun things!!
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
All of the online websites that you order groceries from, are really expensive! I was checking them out, and frozen waffles were over $7! I'd rather take an hour the first day we arrive , go to a store nearby our timeshare, and the money we save use for treats and souivners during our trip!
Are there any reasonable grocery sites? I see that have them delivered would be nice, but I can't see spending so much when I could buy the same food, for so much less. I know some of what your paying is because its "convenient", but it really seems like wasting money that could be spent on much more fun things!!
Unfortunately, this only works if you have a car. Many folks at WDW use Magical Express and don't have a rental car, so they're stuck with either getting their groceries at the resort gift shop or ordering groceries to be delivered.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Groceries

I was thinking that , I suppose if your without a car then you don't have alot if options.
Our timeshare is only a few miles from disney --there is a walmart and a liquor store a couple miles away too . Our timeshare has washer,dryer, complete kitchen ect. So, I'm planning to buy staple items ( cereal, milk, nutrition bars, juice, milk,coffee, munches ect) there.
I think it would be nice to get there and have our groceries already delivered. But, the prices are quite a bit more. Doesn't seem worth it
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Andreak0428
Mouseketeer

I used Garden Grocer two years ago and the min was actually 60.00 back then! The service was great, they brought it right to our room at CBR, everything was super fresh and I want to add that it was pouring rain and the guy still had a smile on his face when we opened the door. I highly recommend them!
08 Contemporary Resort May 09 Pop Century
August 09 Contemporary Resort Feb 10 Caribbean Beach
August 10 Caribbean Beach July 11 Port Orleans Riverside
August 12 Polynesian June 13 Wilderness Lodge
October 14 Coronado Springs

Andreak0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #13
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

If you can get by with small quantities, the hotel gift shops sell snacks, bread, milk, orange juice, yogurt and liquor...and personal products like eye drops and diapers.

A lot of people order water so I was concerned. I made it a point to try the water fountains in every park and the local water tasted fine to me.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #14
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrizzly57 View Post

Good Luck!

Griz
This is going to sound stupid but I never thought of that. We usually buy from Garden Grocers on the web then if we're passing a Walmart of Target we'll nip in for something. The prices on site are ridiculous.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
jennykay
Mouseketeer

When we flew and had no car, I packed our breakfast foods (including dh's soy milk and kids' yogurt) in a cooler. Put in a few gallon Ziplocs full of ice, taped it shut, and checked it. Then we didn't have to pay the extra for a fridge, either. Worked well for us.

1989-offsite
1992-one day in MK-offsite
9/2007-Pop Century - MNSSHP
9/2008-ASMovies
10/2012-Pop Century
jennykay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: