Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #466
Saamh
Mouseketeer

Cheap car rates

We are sailing out of Galveston on Dec 14th. Last week I had booked a midsize car - with taxes it was going to be $275 for the week. I checked on Thrifty.com today and the weekly rate for a midsize car is now $75 - which is only $150 with taxes! No coupon code needed - great deal!
Saamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #467
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saamh View Post
We are sailing out of Galveston on Dec 14th. Last week I had booked a midsize car - with taxes it was going to be $275 for the week. I checked on Thrifty.com today and the weekly rate for a midsize car is now $75 - which is only $150 with taxes! No coupon code needed - great deal!
That is a great deal! We are on the same cruise. If you haven't done so join our facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/616804305001868/
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #468
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Just wanted to update my thread since DCL has surprised us all by returning to the beautiful island of Galveston. All the info is in the first post. Please let me know if anything is missing that would be helpful to you!

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #469
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Can I just add....

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #470
mae5731
Mouseketeer

Thanks for resurrecting this post! I hope to convince DH to book Nov 27th onboard the Fantasy next week

mae5731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #471
tokyotea
Earning My Ears

Awesome!!

Yes! Thank you so much for all the information! We just booked the 12/11 departure. I am from South Texas and spent a summer in Clear Lake. We visited Galveston dozens of times.

I look forward to going back. It's a whole different way of life on the island which is a stark contrast to the hustle and bustle of Houston.
tokyotea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #472
dglilbit
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullins5 View Post
Thought I'd give the scoop on our recent hotel stay at Harbor House on Sept 27th for our Wonder cruise. You pay $10 parking for the one night, but since they are a sister hotel to Hotel Galvez, you can park your car there free for the week.

We liked the hotel, which had a view, and we watched the Wonder come in. The rooms were adequate and clean, but must have thin walls because we heard everything! The continental breakfast was fine for us consisting of instant Kashi oatmeal, a tray of danishes, and a tray of breads to toast, orange juice, apple juice, water, tea and coffee. And apples, oranges, and bananas.

The only 'down' side to this hotel was that when we arrived, I asked how the shuttle worked. She explained that she'd have to call Hotel Galvez and see what time I could board their shuttle for the port after taking my car over there on Saturday morning. The earliest time she had was 12:30 pm! I told her my PAT time was 11am, and she said that was the best she could do. I asked her if this shuttle time was something I should have booked months ago, and she said "No, I have to call them". So, in lieu of taking their shuttle, we were going to drop off part of our family at the port with all the luggage, and one of us take the car to Hotel Galvez and then take a taxi over to the port. However, one of our wonderful Dis'ers (ukintheus), who we met at the hotel, came over and offered to shuttle us back to the port from the hotel. What a blessing! So, a heads up for those future cruisers staying at HH. Know before you go, that parking is free, but their shuttle is at their time, not yours.
bump!

We are planning on driving over from Southwest Louisiana the day before our December 2015 cruise and stay at Harbor House...as of now. I booked the room but am now waffling between doing this and staying at Inn at the Waterpark with cruise package. I'm under the weather today but once I feel better I'll call Harbor House and ask about parking for the week. This is our first cruise and this parking deal is all new to me!

I love Galveston and its closeness to us. I've been multiple times and still have plenty to do. I want to do the ice sculptures at Moody Gardens and have yet to make Dickens on the Strand. I have such great memories of Galveston.

I have gone by myself to the sand sculpture contest in early summer. I was going through a hard time and needed to get away and it was a great trip. Another time my mom, sister and I took the ferry over and hung out for the day with lots of bonding time. I have gone on several bachelorette parties there. My husband and I have done a long weekend here as well.

Last summer my husband had to work the weekend and I was off of work on a Friday, called my mom up and asked if she could get off work and we headed over for a Friday evening/Saturday trip and had a blast. I got a good rate at the Moody Gardens hotel with access to Palm Beach and we had a blast. Rainforest Cafe for lunch on Friday, Palm Beach Friday evening, Palm Beach Saturday morning and the Pier in the afternoon before heading back home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: