Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #391
lilbuddy88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I think you could definitely do both in 4 hours. If you're not doing the ice skating, waiting in line for Santa pics, etc., it won't take overly long to walk the lights (which are *gorgeous*, by the way!) You'd have plenty of time to visit the rainforest pyramid while the animals are still active, and then go see the lights.

BUT, that is generally speaking -- and November 29th is Thanksgiving weekend, so there will be a lot of out-of-towners. It's also the Holiday Gift Market there at the Moody Gardens convention center, which is popular with locals who then also go see the lights.

On the plus side, that night from 6-8pm is the holiday lighting celebration at the Galvez. I've never been to that, because I'm allergic to crowds , but it sounds really neat! And free!

"Performances from The Nutcracker, handbells, bagpipes and Christmas carols will entertain guests at the Galveston Holiday Lighting Celebration at Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel, on Friday, Nov. 29. This free family event begins at 6 p.m. and marks the start of the holiday season in Galveston.

The Holiday Lighting Celebration begins with the arrival of Santa Claus by horse-drawn carriage, followed by the lighting of the hotelís 35-foot Christmas tree on the front lawn. Dickens on The Strandís Queen Victoria will also make special appearances during the festivities. Additionally, children can have photos taken with Santa and receive a small gift."

So that might siphon off some of the Moody Gardens crowds for you. There is sooooo much that goes on on the island for the holidays!! Go here to see all the different events:
http://www.galveston.com/holidaymagic/
Now Gina why would you go and give me options Now I have to make a decision. But Santa will be on the Wonder so no need to see him and we can do ice skating here in Atlanta. But the Galvez celebration and free sounds great too...maybe I should axe the surprising them idea and let them decide. Takes the pressure off me
lilbuddy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #392
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Has anyone here actually ever parked at the port parking? It sounds like we will need to take a shuttle from the parking the block or so back to the terminal. That part I get. What happens when we disembark? Is there a huge amount of people waiting to get on their shuttle to take them back over to their car? Has anyone ever walked it rolling their luggage along? Is it doable?

Still trying to decide on renting a car and parking it or paying for Execucar. Wondering how town car pick up works also. Do we just wait outside on the curb for them to show up? I'm picturing thousands of people outside and wonder how anyone finds their correct driver. We have never cruised before and I want to nail this! DH and I don't have a lot of patience for chaos LOL!!

Thanks so much!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #393
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They don't enforce PAT in Galveston so you can get there early. You may have a higher boarding group number but boarding goes fast and typically starts at 11:45 am. The only thing to be aware of is that there isn't anything to do at the terminal except one photo set up that has the characters rotating through it. Lots of people show up early, so seating is pretty packed. HTHs!!
We have a PAT of 1:00pm. If you were us, what time would you plan to arrive at the curb to drop off luggage? Obviously we'd like to get onboard as soon as possible, but I am also afraid of showing up with my family and having to stand outside or something.

BIG THANKS for any and all help!! I am so grateful for all the info here.
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #394
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
We have a PAT of 1:00pm. If you were us, what time would you plan to arrive at the curb to drop off luggage? Obviously we'd like to get onboard as soon as possible, but I am also afraid of showing up with my family and having to stand outside or something.

When we sailed out of Galveston last year, we had a PAT of 11:30, but the shuttle was only supposed to leave the hotel at 11:30 and was running late. We got there just past noon and there were no lines at check in and we could walk straight onto the ship once we were checked in.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #395
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone here actually ever parked at the port parking? It sounds like we will need to take a shuttle from the parking the block or so back to the terminal. That part I get. What happens when we disembark? Is there a huge amount of people waiting to get on their shuttle to take them back over to their car? Has anyone ever walked it rolling their luggage along? Is it doable?

Still trying to decide on renting a car and parking it or paying for Execucar. Wondering how town car pick up works also. Do we just wait outside on the curb for them to show up? I'm picturing thousands of people outside and wonder how anyone finds their correct driver. We have never cruised before and I want to nail this! DH and I don't have a lot of patience for chaos LOL!!

Thanks so much!
We used EZ cruise for our cruise last year and basically we walked to the space where they had dropped us off and there was a shuttle waiting there for us.
I will say that for the people using the port shuttle there was quite a large grouping of people waiting for shuttles by 8:45.

Last edited by cruisecrasher; 09-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #396
MemphisMickey
Mouseketeer

Bump
Old 09-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #397
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
I suppose you could walk it, but it's not really set up for pedestrians and may not be particularly safe. The wait for the shuttle wasn't that bad. There really isn't room for luggage on the shuttle. You are expected to drop your luggage with the porters and then drive down and park. When you return, just send the driver to pick up the car and then return to pick up the rest of the group and the luggage.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #398
TexMomma
Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust

Does anyone know anything about handicapped parking options for the Galveston terminal?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #399
Homemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks so much!

We just booked www.galvestonparkncruise.com for our upcoming cruise. It's right across from the terminal. Sounds like all we have to do is park and walk across the street, no shuttles to deal with. I hope it's as easy as it sounds.

WDW: Sept 04, Dec 05, Jan 09, Nov 11, Sept 12, Feb 14
DL: Feb 05, April 06, Feb 07, Oct 07, Sept 10, Jan 12, Jan 13
DCL: Jan 10, Oct 13
Homemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #400
jacjacboogie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemom View Post
We just booked galvestonparkncruise for our upcoming cruise. It's right across from the terminal. Sounds like all we have to do is park and walk across the street, no shuttles to deal with. I hope it's as easy as it sounds.
Used parkncruise on our cruise in July, your expectations will be exceeded concerning how close it is to the terminal and the spaces they give you (got a covered for no extra charge).

Just watch out when you cross the street in front of the terminal (Harborside), there is no pedestrian crossing so you need to watch the traffic lights and wait for a green for New Strand. Also, the entrance is in an alley on the right, right after you turn right onto New Strand from Harborside. It doesn't look like it should be the entrance but it is.

We drop off all our checked luggage at the terminal, park, and then stroll across with our carry-ons. Hope this helps, we will be using them again on our October Wonder trip.

Wonder 2007, Dream 2011, Magic 2013, Wonder 2013, Fantasy 2014
jacjacboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #401
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you drop your luggage about 12:10-12:15 pm and then park, you will be walking into the terminal around 12:30 pm. By that time the lines should be starting to go down and you may be able to just about walk on.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #402
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Quote:
What happens when we disembark? Is there a huge amount of people waiting to get on their shuttle to take them back over to their car? Has anyone ever walked it rolling their luggage along? Is it doable?

Thanks so much!
It really is rather efficient. As you exit, a porter will help you collect your bags and take you to the line for the shuttle to the parking lot. The line is not that long as they have a number of shuttles and the drive is short (but you wouldn't want to walk it - don't rush, the line really moves quickly). The driver loaded our bags (many) on the shuttle, and took us right to our car where he unloaded the bags. A few dollars put a smile on his face!

The biggest piece of advice I can give you to be stress free is to mark your bags with something easy to spot. We use colorful ribbon from one of the craft stores. When you look in the 'Goofy' section for your bags, in rows with countless others, they all start to look the same. Having colorful ribbon on the handles helps to both find yours and deter others from grabbing the wrong ones inadvertently.

Enjoy your first cruise!

beaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #403
Homemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacjacboogie View Post
Used parkncruise on our cruise in July, your expectations will be exceeded concerning how close it is to the terminal and the spaces they give you (got a covered for no extra charge).

Just watch out when you cross the street in front of the terminal (Harborside), there is no pedestrian crossing so you need to watch the traffic lights and wait for a green for New Strand. Also, the entrance is in an alley on the right, right after you turn right onto New Strand from Harborside. It doesn't look like it should be the entrance but it is.

We drop off all our checked luggage at the terminal, park, and then stroll across with our carry-ons. Hope this helps, we will be using them again on our October Wonder trip.
This is very helpful, thank you!

WDW: Sept 04, Dec 05, Jan 09, Nov 11, Sept 12, Feb 14
DL: Feb 05, April 06, Feb 07, Oct 07, Sept 10, Jan 12, Jan 13
DCL: Jan 10, Oct 13
Homemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #404
Liltx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemom View Post
We just booked www.galvestonparkncruise.com for our upcoming cruise. It's right across from the terminal. Sounds like all we have to do is park and walk across the street, no shuttles to deal with. I hope it's as easy as it sounds.
This is BY FAR the best option. We have cruised many times from galveston and have used ez cruise (long wait after disembarking), port parking (expensive), lighthouse (same shuttle problem).

With Park and Cruise I suggest that you drive through the the terminal and drop all of the luggage and your wife/kids. Drive and park the car and walk back across the street to the terminal. Reverse when you exit the ship.
Liltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #405
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

I had posted earlier about taking 59 to 45 to get into Galveston on a Friday afternoon. The traffic situation seems less than ideal and I am not sure that we will make it as early as was advised to get through rather stress free. We will be coming down through Texas from Texarkana and 59 to 45 looked the easiest/best route to us but if any locals have a better suggestion-I would be grateful! I am familiar with Northern Texas, but we have never been to Galveston before so all suggestions/advice would be helpful!!
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: