Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #226
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
West Houston: Katy Rosenberg, Sugarland, Pearland, West side of Houston

Interesting.... Instead of living less than 30 minutes from Galveston, I suddenly not only live in Houston but in West Houston! Did DCL use iMaps to come up with that?? LOL

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #227
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina

Interesting.... Instead of living less than 30 minutes from Galveston, I suddenly not only live in Houston but in West Houston! Did DCL use iMaps to come up with that?? LOL
I think this could be awesome, but could also stink. It all depends on price and time available. I'd love a 8:15 am direct from the Woodlands that arrives around 10. I wouldn't want to arrive later. Or have to stop in all the cities listed for a region, either.
Didn't think of that until after I'd turned in the survey, though.
And anything over $30/seat and its too much for this family of four.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #228
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Galveston for two nights before our cruise on Nov 10 and I would recommend it. We had good front desk service, and our room was fine. Plus, when we woke up on the morning of the cruise and looked out our balcony window, we could see our ship waiting for us! Our room had a fridge and microwave, which I always appreciate in a room even if I don't use them. The breakfast was included and had a good variety. The hotel is right on the seawall within walking distance of food & entertainment. I am on the Country Inn email list and was able to book an email-only discount, too, so it was less than $200 for both nights.

View from our balcony (zoomed in)

I'm glad we went to Galveston a day early. It's a great town! I didn't know what to expect. We visited the Railroad Museum and drove through the historical districts. We also had dinner at the Rainforest Cafe since we had a gift card. (Wouldn't have done that otherwise -- fish tacos were really good).

I also snapped some photos of some of the parking locations we saw while touring. We parked at the pier's official parking lot since my dad is a disabled veteran and gets free parking there. (TAs also get free parking -- show your ID at the parking gate and you will have to go to their office to fill out a form and get your parking pass).

It seemed like all the "off-site" parking lots were closer than the pier's own parking lots.

EZ Cruise Parking -- one option for parking your car at Galveston -- across from the Railroad Museum

EZ Cruise Parking

Lighthouse Cruise Parking near the terminal (and Railroad museum)

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #229
dittymau
Earning My Ears

Off the magic on 11/17 and used Lighthouse parking, mixed review... When we arrived at 10:15am they said one shuttle was broken down so we had to wait 10 minutes for the ex-Hertz shuttle to arrive and unload. They had plenty of help so loading went fast. First stop was Terminal 1 (CCL) where most got off but us and another couple. Then we waited while they stuffed a bunch of people off the Carnival ship, that was a pain. Second stop was Term 2, the DCL stop. Got off (no thanks to the cranky Carnival cruisers) and checked in just fine. When we returned off the boat at 8:50, picked up luggage through customs and on the curb easily in 10 minutes. Left SO and luggage there hoped on the bus where the driver complained they had several call in sick so not much help with the luggage. Picked up the car circled back to pick up luggage and out of the port area by 9:15am.

Future I will drop luggage at terminal first, park car and walk back to term 2, it is not that far...

Cheers
dittymau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #230
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittymau View Post
Off the magic on 11/17 and used Lighthouse parking, mixed review... When we arrived at 10:15am they said one shuttle was broken down so we had to wait 10 minutes for the ex-Hertz shuttle to arrive and unload. They had plenty of help so loading went fast. First stop was Terminal 1 (CCL) where most got off but us and another couple. Then we waited while they stuffed a bunch of people off the Carnival ship, that was a pain. Second stop was Term 2, the DCL stop. Got off (no thanks to the cranky Carnival cruisers) and checked in just fine. When we returned off the boat at 8:50, picked up luggage through customs and on the curb easily in 10 minutes. Left SO and luggage there hoped on the bus where the driver complained they had several call in sick so not much help with the luggage. Picked up the car circled back to pick up luggage and out of the port area by 9:15am.

Future I will drop luggage at terminal first, park car and walk back to term 2, it is not that far...

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback. I have Lighthouse reserved for our cruise in Feb and I had already planned for DH to drop off me and our 3 DD's (as you can imagine we will have lots of bags) at the terminal before parking the car, but I am happy to hear that it is within walking distance. I will tell him to just walk instead of messing with the shuttle.
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #231
mareed
DIS Veteran

We also used Lighthouse parking w/ cruise starting 11/17 and will use them again. No frills, basic, but they were quite nice and helped us with luggage (even though we didn't really need it so I then felt obligated to tip). We arrived shortly after 10:35 and were immediately loaded on the bus which left with only us onboard and were dropped off at DCL terminal less than 10 minutes from the time we pulled into their parking lot.

When we left - again we were a bit behind the other poster looking at times, and we left the ship around 9:20 - got our bags (skipping an enormous long line for those needing porter assistance w/ luggage) and right through customs. Went to the designated Lighthouse parking spot and bus pulled up within 2 minutes and we loaded with a few others and went right to the parking lot.

I think like Disney park buses, it can vary depending on timing and whether you've just missed a bus. Probably also varies depending on whether another ship is in port. On 11/17, DCL was only ship, but for our return on 11/24 Carnival ship was also there but got in later than us, so I think people weren't leaving yet.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #232
Pocahantas
Dreams do come true - I'm now a DVC Member

Has anyone heard of or used Island Cruise Parking?? Looks like they are right across from Terminal 2 on Harborside Drive.
12/02 CR; 2/04 CR ; 5/05 Pop/BCV/AKL; 10/05 POFQ/BCV; 2/06 VWL; 5/06 BWV; 12/06 POR/BCV/WL; 6/07 SSR/BCV; 10/07 BCV; 12/07 POFQ/BCV; 5/08 DCL/Vero; 2/09 BWV; 6/09 BCV; 9/09 AKL/DCL/BC; 5/10 BLT/Poly; 3/11 BCV/BLT; 6/11 DCL-Alaska; 6/12 DCL Bahamas Double Dip; 2/13 DCL W.Carib; 6/13 BCV; 10/13 BCV; 3/14 VGF Next Up: 6/14 - VGC On the Horizon: 10/14 DCL-Southern Carib
Pocahantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #233
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Not Quite Island Parking

Someone [mareed?] posted yesterday about Lighthouse Parking. They also posted a picture which showed the parking facility and the ship at the end of the street - maybe a couple of blocks?

Didn't find an 'Island Parking' in a Google search.

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
m4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #234
Pocahantas
Dreams do come true - I'm now a DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4travel View Post
Someone [mareed?] posted yesterday about Lighthouse Parking. They also posted a picture which showed the parking facility and the ship at the end of the street - maybe a couple of blocks?

Didn't find an 'Island Parking' in a Google search.
I did see the info on Lighthouse but somehow also ran across Island Cruise Parking's website. Here is a link:

Island Cruise Parking
12/02 CR; 2/04 CR ; 5/05 Pop/BCV/AKL; 10/05 POFQ/BCV; 2/06 VWL; 5/06 BWV; 12/06 POR/BCV/WL; 6/07 SSR/BCV; 10/07 BCV; 12/07 POFQ/BCV; 5/08 DCL/Vero; 2/09 BWV; 6/09 BCV; 9/09 AKL/DCL/BC; 5/10 BLT/Poly; 3/11 BCV/BLT; 6/11 DCL-Alaska; 6/12 DCL Bahamas Double Dip; 2/13 DCL W.Carib; 6/13 BCV; 10/13 BCV; 3/14 VGF Next Up: 6/14 - VGC On the Horizon: 10/14 DCL-Southern Carib
Pocahantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #235
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Island Cruise Parking

Good for you, Pocahantas! I even ran a second Google search for Island Cruise Parking, but didn't turn up anything either.

Ah, well; the mysteries of the internet!

And has anyone used them? We're flying into IAH (from Mexico City) rather than driving - and it's our first time in Galveston - so we have no advice to share.

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #236
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Island Cruise Parking

Looks like its real name is Cruise Park Galvestan (or Galvestan Cruise Park) and it looks like it's just across the street from the piers.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #237
dittymau
Earning My Ears

Oh yes, second on that long porter line, I am glad we were able to just wheel our luggage ourselves, a porter would have been a wait, not sure how long...
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #238
dittymau
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittymau
Oh yes, second on that long porter line, I am glad we were able to just wheel our luggage ourselves, a porter would have been a wait, not sure how long...
My quesstimate is about 1.5 blocks on Harborside and the 1.5 blocks on 29th street from Terminal 2 to Lighthouse Parking.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #239
Irelandsmom
Earning My Ears

A question about staying at Hotel Galvez before and using Disney transportation (I booked both through Disney)....how do they know what time to pick you up at IAH the day before the cruise to take you to Hotel Galvez? We are flying in very late 2 nights before the cruise and staying by the airport at a Houston hotel and then taking a hotel shuttle back to IAH to take the Disney transportation the day before our cruise - I called and asked this question and the lady said there will be someone waiting by the luggage pick-up......so there will be someone waiting all day and there is different limos for everyone?
Irelandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #240
Mastiff
Mouseketeer

Irleandsmom, I was just about to ask the same question!

We just purchased transfers from IAH to Hotel Galvez for the night before our cruise and transfers and 1 night at Hotel Galvez after our cruise with transfers back to IAH.

We have our cruise docs but they don't show our transfers or hotel reservation since I booked this later. I do have the DCL reservation confirmation showing transfers and the hotel before/after our cruise but don't I need any type of paper doc?

So when I fly in to IAH the day before the cruise are there DCL people there all day? My TA said that I wouldn't need anything I just look for the DCL people with the Mickey hands and they will get us to the correct place.

For those that have gone this route is this how it works? Same for after the cruise?

Thanks
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: