Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
mecheermom
Earning My Ears

Red face Dining/no dining/club level/no club level Dec trip

Hi...

We are planning a December trip...12/27 to 1/1. I am driving myself crazy with options!!! Can I please get some feedback from those who have btdt. In 2008 we stayed at the GF with a view of the castle. This time around we are trying to spend a little less, and our kids are 9 and 7. Honestly they do not generally like kids menu items. They both LOVE sushi, salads, vegetables, grilled fish, steaks, etc. They detest chicken nuggets and burger options. I am wondering if we should just opt not to do the dining in exchange for club level, and then they can split dinners with me and DH.

So here are my possible options:

1. Wilderness Lodge- with Disney Dining- Standard room, etc. ~$4600
2. Wilderness Lodge- Club Level with Dining- ~$5500
3. Wilderness Lodge Club Level - No Dining- ~$4600
4. Polynesian- Club Level - No Dining- ~$5500
5. Polynesian- Club Level - with dining - ~$6500 *OUCH*

Thanks!! Pixie Dust to ALL!!!
mecheermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
BNukem
Love the Mouse

What about Poly, standard room with dining?
2009-Polynesian

2010-Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
2011-Polynesian
2012-Port Orleans French Quarter
2013-Port Orleans French Quarter

::me 43 : DH 44
DD 19 DD16 DD 4
BNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
reiella
DIS Veteran

You really should estimate what the meal costs will be out of pocket for your price comparisons.

I imagine much of the ~900 to 1000 you save by dropping the dining plan will still end up being spent, even with the club level lounge.

Something to consider is that most of what the club level lounge is going to save you on are snacks and a snacky breakfast.

As to if the kids will get enough food sharing off the adult plates, I don't know. I would personally budget with the kids getting their own meal since I'm uncertain.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Have you checked for availability for the room locations/types you listed? That is the most crowded week of the year and it's now only <4 months away. That might limit your choices some.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
mecheermom
Earning My Ears

poly standard w dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNukem View Post
What about Poly, standard room with dining?
$5730 Poly w/dining plan- standard room
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
mecheermom
Earning My Ears

room available

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Have you checked for availability for the room locations/types you listed? That is the most crowded week of the year and it's now only <4 months away. That might limit your choices some.
Yes, all rooms are available.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stay at both resorts and while the Poly is our favorite and would be our first choice, WL has the edge during the holidays . If it were any other time of year, we would choose the Poly without question, but the WL is just gorgeous at Christmas time and that would be our choice for a December trip . With that said, I would go with WL CL without dining. CL at the WL is amazing as the food offerings are great and the CMs are some of the best. I suggest no dining plan and paying OOP for your meals since kids on the DDP must choose off of the kids menu and since your kids aren't much into chicken nuggets, burgers, etc., I think the DDP would be a waste as they wouldn't have much variety from which to choose. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose as they are both awesome places to stay .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I don't know how much you eat for breakfast but I'm not sure staying club level will be less expensive than doing some cheap breakfast on your own, even if it's in your room. I have never found that staying club level saves any money.

I would probably just get a regular room and do no dining plan.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
mecheermom
Earning My Ears

Akl

UGH...now DH is suggesting AKL club level?? SOOOO...

Poly club
WL club
AKL club?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

IMHO that is the best option from any angle and Christmas at WL is unbeatable!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Debbart
Hooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post

Totally Agree!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheermom View Post
Hi...

We are planning a December trip...12/27 to 1/1. I am driving myself crazy with options!!! Can I please get some feedback from those who have btdt. In 2008 we stayed at the GF with a view of the castle. This time around we are trying to spend a little less, and our kids are 9 and 7. Honestly they do not generally like kids menu items. They both LOVE sushi, salads, vegetables, grilled fish, steaks, etc. They detest chicken nuggets and burger options. I am wondering if we should just opt not to do the dining in exchange for club level, and then they can split dinners with me and DH.

So here are my possible options:

1. Wilderness Lodge- with Disney Dining- Standard room, etc. ~$4600
2. Wilderness Lodge- Club Level with Dining- ~$5500
4. Polynesian- Club Level - No Dining- ~$5500
5. Polynesian- Club Level - with dining - ~$6500 *OUCH*

Thanks!! Pixie Dust to ALL!!!
No Dining Plan, based on how your kids eat. And perhaps skip the Club Level-what's the reasoning for wanting CL (although we just did it last month)?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post

+1

We just came back from a quick three night trip. It was our first trip without club level, we will never do it again. We do not eat large meals, tend to order appetizers etc. The dining plan does not work for our style of dining and although only one child is on the children's plan he does not care for the options.

Our favorite club levels are GF RPC, BWI, and WL. We have done all with the exception of AKL.

With your description of food choices I would go with CL. The other point is to make sure your touring style enables you to be in the lounge when services are available.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
TJA
DIS Veteran

Sounds like your kids would be better off with alternate foods rather than the normal kids' options, so CL would be an outstanding choice for you. My family also prefers CL and no dining. We plan our "big" meal around the lunch hour, and then just use the hot appetizers in the lounge as our light dinner. Many people on here say that the hot appetizers are not enough for dinner and shouldn't represent dinner, but for our family it's perfect as our dinner because we had a huge lunch as our main meal. And it's also a great way for kids to experiment with different types of food, which my kids love to do. We have tried 3 CL lounges and all 3 had the basic options for kids as well, such as PB&J, apples & caramel, stuff like that.

As far as which resort, really, it's a personal preference depending on your style. We tend to go with the more convenient resorts, thus we'd choose Poly -- love the TTC with direct monorail to Epcot and MK. Also love the incredible view from the lounge and being able to watch Wishes right at the table while eating our dessert. However, it's hard to deny the beauty of WL, especially at Cmas time -- no doubt you'd enjoy either resort.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

I would do CL w/out dining at either resort. Sometimes with the dining plan each meal is too much food!
lylone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: