Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #106
hakepb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,212

Based on this information: (I think it's the same camera)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-5.html
At the bottom of the P mode menu is file sizes. You want L. Then I think you want to hit the display button to select Fine.

The color modes are above that in P

The digital zoom is shown towards the bottom. I would probably only turn off the picture one, but leave digital on in movie mode (cropping movies requires sophisticated software that I don't have)
__________________
"Home is where you stay when you are not at Disney World." - DS5
hakepb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #107
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Landscape mode would have been much worse. Not sure if you could have done any better with the limitations of your camera, but some thoughts:

Doesn't look like you were set for maximum photo quality. It's a 12 mp camera, but doesn't look like you were using all 12. If you used the maximum quality, you could crop and zoom pretty effectively. (Lack of zoom was not your issue).

The last shot is the best. The focus in the others is pretty poor. But the last picture is very sharp, at least in a small size.
It's possible you could have done a better job of picking a focal point, and making sure your focus was locked. But I don't think this was your issue.
Fact is, that camera isn't going to have a super fast focus.
To freeze "sports" or similar action, you need a very fast shutter speed. Think, 1/1000 of a second. Most of your shots were much slower -- 1/160. The last shot was 1/200 -- which might be why it was a bit sharper than the other shots.
Faster shutter speed requires a larger aperture, but your aperture was already maxed out for your camera. If you increased the ISO to around 400 or 800, you may have gotten the necessary sensitivity to shoot with faster shutter speed -- and then crisper sharper pics.

(Landscape mode would have done a slower shutter speed and smaller aperture, your pics would be just blurs).
is there a way to set this? this is one of the things that bothers me...it's a 12mp camera, but, when you zoom past 4x, everything is REALLY blurry. if i could set maximum mp another way, that would be awesome! (the other pics were all using the zoom, if i recall correctly.)
__________________
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #108
hakepb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
is there a way to set this? this is one of the things that bothers me...it's a 12mp camera, but, when you zoom past 4x, everything is REALLY blurry. if i could set maximum mp another way, that would be awesome! (the other pics were all using the zoom, if i recall correctly.)
That should be the resolution L and Fine we just talked about. Also turning off Digital zoom.
__________________
"Home is where you stay when you are not at Disney World." - DS5
hakepb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #109
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
is there a way to set this? this is one of the things that bothers me...it's a 12mp camera, but, when you zoom past 4x, everything is REALLY blurry. if i could set maximum mp another way, that would be awesome! (the other pics were all using the zoom, if i recall correctly.)
Ahhh... you zoomed closer than 4x. That might be it. You can't zoom closer than 4x -- That is the max optical zoom. Go beyond that, and you lose a ton of quality. Best you can do, is zoom 4x, and then crop afterwards.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #110
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
That should be the resolution L and Fine we just talked about. Also turning off Digital zoom.
okay, i've got it set to "L" and "Fine". and i went under the "menu" settings and turned off the digital zoom. couldn't find it in the function menu under "P".

thank you both! i'm going to try this on saturday at our next competition, and see what i get! i know i won't get pictures with the quality of what y'all post, but DH has agreed we should get a new camera; so, hopefully, it won't be long before i will!
__________________
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #111
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,522

took these on september 15, 2012, at MK with my smartphone camera (pantech burst).


wishes-pantechburst by iluvamystery89, on Flickr


wishes1-pantechburst by iluvamystery89, on Flickr

this one was taken with my canon P&S:


Fireworks 2012 by iluvamystery89, on Flickr
__________________
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #112
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
took these on september 15, 2012, at MK with my smartphone camera (pantech burst).


wishes-pantechburst by iluvamystery89, on Flickr


wishes1-pantechburst by iluvamystery89, on Flickr

this one was taken with my canon P&S:


Fireworks 2012 by iluvamystery89, on Flickr
Not bad at all. Though it does seem to show that a decent smart phone camera is generally just as good or better than an 'economy' point & shoot.

I note you used the flash in the canon pic. Any reason you were using a flash? Was it so you could bring out the Mickey pumpkin? If so, good work.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #113
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Not bad at all. Though it does seem to show that a decent smart phone camera is generally just as good or better than an 'economy' point & shoot.

I note you used the flash in the canon pic. Any reason you were using a flash? Was it so you could bring out the Mickey pumpkin? If so, good work.
actually, that was a goof-i thought i'd turned the flash off. thanks! i mess up and take a good photo every now and then, lol.
__________________
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #114
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
actually, that was a goof-i thought i'd turned the flash off. thanks! i mess up and take a good photo every now and then, lol.
Now had you taken that pic with the full 12 mp, you'd have enough freedom to crop to just the bottom right corner. Blow it up, as a very well composed shot.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #115
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Now had you taken that pic with the full 12 mp, you'd have enough freedom to crop to just the bottom right corner. Blow it up, as a very well composed shot.
and setting the resolution to L and Fine will get me the full 12mp, right?
__________________
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #116
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
and setting the resolution to L and Fine will get me the full 12mp, right?
Correct. My camera, while a top of the line point and shoot, only has a 3.6X zoom. But it does have 20 mp. So I find I can basically zoom at high quality with post processing crop.

For example:
Uncropped:


Aug 31, 2012-106 by Havoc315, on Flickr

Cropped:


DSC01522 by Havoc315, on Flickr
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #117
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Correct. My camera, while a top of the line point and shoot, only has a 3.6X zoom. But it does have 20 mp. So I find I can basically zoom at high quality with post processing crop.

For example:
Uncropped:


Aug 31, 2012-106 by Havoc315, on Flickr

Cropped:


DSC01522 by Havoc315, on Flickr
SO gorgeous! i'm going to need to learn to crop too!
__________________
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #118
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,968

1 more example of cropping as a replacement for zoom:

Cropped:


Aug 31, 2012-147 by Havoc315, on Flickr

Original:


Aug 31, 2012-147 by Havoc315, on Flickr
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #119
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,522

i think they're both beautiful pictures!
__________________
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #120
wdw1976
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 179

Applecrest Farm, Hampton Falls, NH.

wdw1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.