Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Heavier than I thought

I rented a sigma 24-70 for a trip to Disneyland and is is MUCH heavier than I thought it would be. I'm in a bit of a panic knowing we leave tomorrow and I'm not sure what to do with this. I have a good strap but the case that came with my pentax k30 will be pretty much useless I think. So whatever advice you all can offer will be very appreciated. Even if all you have to say is, "suck it up."
Old 09-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
katielafave
Mouseketeer

We bought a sling pack for our upcoming trip. Seems to distribute the weight well and stays in place when moving around. I plan on bringing camera body and two lenses with me. Maybe you could find a different bag?
katielafave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
I rented a sigma 24-70 for a trip to Disneyland and is is MUCH heavier than I thought it would be. ... So whatever advice you all can offer will be very appreciated. Even if all you have to say is, "suck it up."
It won't help your upcoming trip, but I absolutely love the Capture Camera Clip (https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/)

What I find with the big camera is that doing most of the walking with the camera slung cross body and under arm helps.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
What kind of strap do you have?
Crumpler Industry Disgrace. It's comfy but I'm pretty small so this is still quite a bit more weight than either of my other lenses.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
jimim
DIS Veteran

Black rapid strap. Really helps with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 09-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Are you trying to carry around your neck the whole time? With my 6D and a heavy lens I have to carry it cross body. That much weight is just too much to have around my neck for any length of time. I use the Industry Disgrace as well.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Definitely cross body but switching it up also. I'm super nervous about it cross body though and sticking out so much.

At this point I think I'm wondering when and where to make sure I have it and when to just leave it in the room and use the 18-55. We are at Disneyland and California Adventure on three day park hoppers plus one MHP afternoon/evening.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Is the 24 wide enough for Disney? I would get much more use out of the 18-55 plus its a lot lighter and smaller. I think you would have done much better with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on a Disney vacation but that's just my opinion. On my K-5IIs, I shot about 90% of my shots with the Tamron 17-50. I also bought into Pentax for the AWESOME prime lenses which are really small.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I have used the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 at WDW on three trips. This lens is the predecessor to the 24-70, but has similar ergonomics. This is my walkaround lens. I definitely would give up being wider for the lowlight capability of the f2.8. It has been my experience that Disney likes to play with lowlight. I also like the extra reach of the 70 over 55. I would wear it cross body and have it adjusted so my hand would rest on the camera. That is how I wear my BR. So I guess my response would be to "suck it up."
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Is the 24 wide enough for Disney? I would get much more use out of the 18-55 plus its a lot lighter and smaller. I think you would have done much better with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on a Disney vacation but that's just my opinion. On my K-5IIs, I shot about 90% of my shots with the Tamron 17-50. I also bought into Pentax for the AWESOME prime lenses which are really small.
24 was actually just about perfect at Disneyland.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I have used the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 at WDW on three trips. This lens is the predecessor to the 24-70, but has similar ergonomics. This is my walkaround lens. I definitely would give up being wider for the lowlight capability of the f2.8. It has been my experience that Disney likes to play with lowlight. I also like the extra reach of the 70 over 55. I would wear it cross body and have it adjusted so my hand would rest on the camera. That is how I wear my BR. So I guess my response would be to "suck it up."
Well I did suck it up and it wasn't bad at all. I only had trouble on our second day and I think it had to do with something else I was carrying.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Glad it all went well for you

I was hoping you would report back because I'm using this lens on our next trip to WDW and I do know how heavy it is so the neck strap is not the best option for me. I felt it on my neck by the end of a full day with my Tokina 11-16 and that is significantly lighter by comparison.

I have just bought myself an UPstrap so I'm going to test it out in the run up to our trip to get used to it. I have never used a strap before (save for the standard on that comes with the camera) and don't really like the Black Rapid Strap connection system. I will report back on my findings too

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
Well I did suck it up and it wasn't bad at all. I only had trouble on our second day and I think it had to do with something else I was carrying.
Glad it worked out for you...where are the pics?
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: