Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Similar to Windsor Hills?

We have been staying at Windsor Hills for the past 5 or more years. We love it there but during our recent trip we were very disenchanted with the new security gate. I know most people think it is no big deal, but the slowness of getting in and out really bothered us. I guess it is not enough to keep us away, but I thought maybe this is the time to look for some place new. We are interested in a condo that is close to WDW. We have stayed at Windsor Palms before and like that but prefer the newness of WH - plus it is closer than WP.

Any suggestions for places to check out? Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Bonnet Creek, Vistanna Resort, Lake Buena Vista Village, World Quest Resort - all would be closer to the Epcot/DTD side of Disney.
Reunion Resort is very nice but it wouldn't be as close as WH or these others. You can rent directly from the resort or from private owners via vrbo.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 6 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Dave1234
Mouseketeer

You could try Emerald Island. Its similar standard to Windsor Hills, and like WH is very close to Disney. DOesnt have Condos though. Good selection on here:

http://*************************************/

Any queries PM me.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
isla bonita
DIS Veteran

Like Dave has mentioned Emerald Island Resort has condos but they do not have the splash pools. Not sure if that is a deal breaker?

Nice gated resort! Close to WH's.
"I'm just your average ordinary everyday super hero"
"If sense were commom more people would have it"
isla bonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Candleshoe
Trying to build a better mousetrap.

Crestwyn is right beside WH. It has townhomes and I found some amazing deals there.... I guess because it's not as "in vogue". I don't know much about it though.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
purplebelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniehar90 View Post
We have been staying at Windsor Hills for the past 5 or more years. We love it there but during our recent trip we were very disenchanted with the new security gate. I know most people think it is no big deal, but the slowness of getting in and out really bothered us. I guess it is not enough to keep us away, but I thought maybe this is the time to look for some place new. We are interested in a condo that is close to WDW. We have stayed at Windsor Palms before and like that but prefer the newness of WH - plus it is closer than WP.

Any suggestions for places to check out? Thanks!!
What happens at gate check in? Everyone needs to present IDs or something? Wondering how our group of 10 can be prepared to be quick for ourselves and others waiting in line. I believe we'll have 2 rental cars.
purplebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What happens at gate check in? Everyone needs to present IDs or something? Wondering how our group of 10 can be prepared to be quick for ourselves and others waiting in line. I believe we'll have 2 rental cars.
No, each car needs to check in. You have to show the rental paperwork from the management company and the driver's DL. Then they print a card for you that needs to be scanned each time you come in or leave. We just got back 2 weeks ago and we were lucky when we arrived that there was no one else in line to check in. There were times during our trip that we saw lines 5-6 cars deep to check in. Our complaint is with the coming and going. The scanner just doesn't work very well (you have to hold the card real still and real close to the scanner to get it to register). Many people have trouble and you are sitting there in the car (tired from a day at Disney) waiting for them to scan their card. Once the card scans, the gate is soooo slow to open. So, we also saw lines 6 or so deep with cars trying to get into the complex. We found on this last trip, that many people will try to follow the car in front of them through the gates before they close. This helps speed up the process. We also found that the guards kept the exit gate open most of the day so you could just drive through (not in the early morning though).
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
anabella
Earning My Ears

You can try Vista Cay www.***************** it is by the same constructor as WH, same amenities, gated but no guard, so you just enter the code at a gate
anabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
dtum
DIS Veteran

Emerald Island for us this time, but we rented a pool house as we need the four bedrooms.

http://www.puffsvacationhome.com/

Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
purplebelle
DIS Veteran

Just got back from a 7 night stay at a WH home. The men that work the gates were excellent --- very attentive, kind and so helpful. When cars backed up at "busy" times, they stepped out of their hut and let people through quickly. Honestly, the wait was nothing worth mentioning. The staff had it well under control while we were there.
purplebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebelle View Post
Just got back from a 7 night stay at a WH home. The men that work the gates were excellent --- very attentive, kind and so helpful. When cars backed up at "busy" times, they stepped out of their hut and let people through quickly. Honestly, the wait was nothing worth mentioning. The staff had it well under control while we were there.
Thanks so much for posting this! We are checking in next Friday and had wondered if this would be an issue.
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
dawnn12
Mouseketeer

we just got back from WDW we stayed in a house in Indian creek its not a gated community but I never seen or heard anything bad(very quiet) very close to the parks and shopping its a great house(this is the second time we rented this house) and we cant wait to go back. any questions just ask

http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/v...oID-61533.html
dawnn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
we just got back from WDW we stayed in a house in Indian creek its not a gated community but I never seen or heard anything bad(very quiet) very close to the parks and shopping its a great house(this is the second time we rented this house) and we cant wait to go back. any questions just ask
Bummer! Already booked up for my dates! Thanks for passing this along!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebelle View Post
Sorry to hijack but did you write up anywhere how you felt it compared to staying on property?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote