Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Fowler
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Hotel Help PLEASEEE

Hey,

I am planning my first Disney Land trip for November of next year (2013), but I'm having trouble choosing a hotel!

I have narrowed it down to:
The Animal Kingdom Lodge
The Polynesian
The Wilderness Lodge

If anyone has any opinions on what one to choose and why, it would be much appreciated

I was told that the Animal Kingdom is the most out of the way. And I know the Polynesian is the most expensive, but I'm not too sure why - I know its in a great location, but the Wilderness lodge is in the same sort of place, so that just adds to the confusion!!

Thank you for your help
Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Fowler
Earning My Ears

I forgot to mention, it will be two of us going, both adults
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

All three are great resorts, so It really comes down to preference. The Poly is most expensive because it is right on the monorail loop. The Wilderness Lodge is along Bay Lake in the same area, but you still need to take a short boat ride across to the Magic Kingdom or Contemporary to get to the monorail loop (Wilderness Lodge is across the lake from the monorail resorts). AKL is beautiful, but it can be considered out of the way as far as transportion around Disney Worl is concerned.

Personally I'd prefer Wilderness Lodge, as it's more relaxed and feels a bit away from the action. Especially at night when all is dark and quiet along Bay Lake. Yet, it's only a nice quick boat launch across to monorails and Magic Kingdom. If you prefer to be a bit more in the center of the action, then the Poly is the way to go.

AKL is very unique and gives you the oppurtunity to watch the animals while on property. But, you will have to rely on bus transport everywhere if you don't want to use your own car for transport.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

If it is 2 adults PORFQ.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

If you decide to go with WL or AKL, be sure to look at the DVC rental board. You can get a villa that is larger than a regular hotel room.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Really it's a matter of preference, and what you are looking to get out of your trip.

As others have mentioned, if you are relying on Disney Transportation, AKL's location can make it less convenient than the other options you have.

Poly is nice, and it's on the monorail loop. It's a very nice, relaxed, romantic type atmosphere.

Wilderness Lodge is also very relaxed, and romantic in it's own way. It has a boat launch you can use to get to MK, but it'll use buses for most of it's transportation needs.

Another option that might work for you would be POR. It can be quite nice with it's own romantic atmosphere (and cheaper than the deluxe's you've been looking at.) There is also a nice carriage ride available around the property.

What are you looking for from your trip? Relying on Disney Transportation? Doing much in the way of resort hopping for ADRs? In some ways, poly might be the easiest for Resort hopping for ADR's with Disney transportation since you can either take the boat or monorail over to the MK to catch the needed bus to the other resort.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

The layouts of both AKL and WL are very similar. Their main advantage is everything is in one building. Their main disadvantage is that transportation is by bus (plus MK by boat also from WL).

The rooms at the Poly are significantly larger than either the AKL or WL. In addition to being on the Monorail, you could walk to the TTC if you want to take the Ferry to MK or also to get the Epcot Monorail without having to change.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
ludari
DIS Veteran

As others have mentioned they are all great resorts. My personal preference would be AKL. I really like the property and Boma Restaurant is one of my favorites. You will not go wrong selecting any of these resorts.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
kbeels
Earning My Ears

If cost is not a factor, I'd say go with AKL and rent a car. You don't have to rely on buses and parking on property is free. This has worked out well for us, 2 adults. While the Savannah view rooms are our favorites, (Nothing quite like waking up to a giraffe outside your window) We have stayed in the pool view and standard rooms too and enjoyed them too. The attention to detail and theme are remarkable, take time to walk through the resort and enjoy the Artwork, The Boma buffet for breakfast is our favorite. Don't miss the flamingo pool.
You can always visit any of the other resorts for a meal or just to look around and pick one you'd like to try on another visit.

Coming Back January 2011!

Been there before: AKL Jan 2002, AKL Jan 2004, POP Jan 2005, POP & AKL Jan 2006, POP Oct 2007, Oct 2008
kbeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

My favorite resort on property is AKL/AKV. Its rustic, quiet, romantic, and beautiful. It only has bus transportation everywhere on Disney property but that doesn't bother me. If you have a car, all the better. I am not a fan of the Poly but lots of people love it. Wilderness Lodge looks like all the hotels located in the national parks in California, where I am from, so no uniqueness there for me. Every resort has its perks. Personally, as an adult I like staying at BWI/BWV for the convenience factor. Go with your heart. . .it will lead you.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Fowler
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much for your help!

Although I think AKL would be my first choice for what is actually there, I think it best to chose that on a different trip, seeing as this is my first time, I'd like to be in a central location with great transport, so I have booked into the Polynesian
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Lyndarella
All my dreams are coming true

Maybe it depends on where you are from... Like Nurse Darcy said -- We live in Minnesota, and my husband always wants to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Personally, I go to Florida to GET AWAY from all the pine trees!
95, 01 - DH, me, and kids, offsite
02 - bought a FL timeshare AND DVC!
02 - May offsite & VWL with DH, + Oct offsite & GF just girls
03 - May offsite & AKL with DH, + Sept BWV 2BR just girls
04 - May offsite & VWL with DH, my birthday!
07 - May offsite with DH
08 - September DH and me at Saratoga Springs
09 - October offsite & Bay Lake Tower, just girls
10 - April offsite with DH, + Oct AKV 2 BR just girls
12 & 13 - three trips on annual pass! BCV, SSR, VWL
14 - February first SOLO trip, OKW and ASMu
Lyndarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowler View Post
Thank you all so much for your help!

Although I think AKL would be my first choice for what is actually there, I think it best to chose that on a different trip, seeing as this is my first time, I'd like to be in a central location with great transport, so I have booked into the Polynesian
You certainly cannot go wrong there. The Poly has a great beach to view the fireworks from and I absolutely love the food at Kona Cafe. Its a beautiful resort, just not one of my favorites. Everyone has their favorites, that is why you get so many opinions. You cannot go wrong for Transportation from the Poly, that is for sure.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Djjsperry
Earning My Ears

I would do beach club it's walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios yet we always take the boat. You can go to Epcot and take monorail to magic kingdom. Only have rouse uses for animal kingdom and water parks. Besides they have an awesome pool.
Djjsperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Djjsperry
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djjsperry
I would do beach club it's walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood studios yet we always take the boat. You can go to Epcot and take monorail to magic kingdom. Only have rouse uses for animal kingdom and water parks. Besides they have an awesome pool.
Oops only need buses for animal kingdom. I hate autocorrect!
Djjsperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney hotel help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: