Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
jennandcompany
Mouseketeer

About those princess dresses...

Any tips on packing them? We have amassed quite a collection through borrowing and eBay. I am thinking dd may need her own suitcase lol.
jennandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
iluvdiscruises
Mouseketeer

I used a Vera Bradley large duffle for just dresses and carefully carried it on...it was either that or an extra suitcase because of all the glitter!
iluvdiscruises is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Bag them! They have those special bags with the air vent, that you roll up and squeeze the air out, to fit more in your suitcase. However, we haven't had too much luck with the commercial ones...so I buy the XL size ziplock bags and use those. I roll them from the bottom up, and when they're nearly all rolled up, I put a straw in one side of the opening and seal the rest of the opening. Then finish rolling and pull out the straw at the same time you seal the bag...probably not the best explanation, but hopefully you get the general idea. My nieces' dresses usually don't wrinkle too much that way - the tulle doesn't really suffer at all.

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Castaway April
Mouseketeer

Plus they are made of polyester, they will unwrinkle, just leave them in the bathroom with the shower on. I bag all the kids clothes like the above post.... haven't used a straw yet.. the wheels are turning now!!!

Magic Transatlantic 2015 Port Canaveral New York City St John's Reykjavik Oslo Copenhagen

Wonder Southern Caribbean 2016 Puerto Rico Barbados Grenada Martinique Antigua St Kitts
Castaway April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
jennandcompany
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensilverlight
Bag them! They have those special bags with the air vent, that you roll up and squeeze the air out, to fit more in your suitcase. However, we haven't had too much luck with the commercial ones...so I buy the XL size ziplock bags and use those. I roll them from the bottom up, and when they're nearly all rolled up, I put a straw in one side of the opening and seal the rest of the opening. Then finish rolling and pull out the straw at the same time you seal the bag...probably not the best explanation, but hopefully you get the general idea. My nieces' dresses usually don't wrinkle too much that way - the tulle doesn't really suffer at all.

Excellent! I use ziplocks for everything else and "lay" on them to get the air out. I wonder if the 2 gal would do it...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

I sew, and sew a ton of custom disney stuff for my kids. And by ton, I mean at least one outfit change a day. We use the packing bags as well, I lay things out as flat as I can in those and then vaccuum the air out.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
jennandcompany
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl
I sew, and sew a ton of custom disney stuff for my kids. And by ton, I mean at least one outfit change a day. We use the packing bags as well, I lay things out as flat as I can in those and then vaccuum the air out.
Oh, I wish I could sew!! Jealous
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Thank you for these packing tips! We are bringing at least two princess dresses for each of our three DDs. Wasn't sure how I was going to pack them!!!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

my cousin has one daughter and when they went with us she boxed 6 of them and sent them to her self to the resort and as her daughter wore them put them back in the box and we had made a label to send it back to her home so was all ready to go then take to check in desk and they will weigh it and charge UPS fee. they were not wrinkled much and what was fell out once we hng them up and she had to have her shoes so they were int here as well. we do this as well with last minute things we buy then we do nothave to worry about suitcase room or snacks we have left over. I just pakc a box on bottom of my suitcase and be sure and take the box tape..
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
Ginger Renae
Mouseketeer

You don't need any kind of specialty plastic packing bags. I just used regular zip lock plastic bags - maybe gallon size? I can't remember offhand. I folded up the dress, put it in the bag and left about an inch of the zipper open. I rolled the bag to push out all of the air and then closed the zipper all the way. The dresses roll surprisingly flat and the bag keeps all of the glitter form contaminating the rest of the suitcase.
Ginger Renae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
cduff0908
Earning My Ears

I've used the space saver packing bags too. you can fit alot in them and they help with all the glitter. I unpack them first so they can re-fluff.

My husband HATES all the glitter so I take a dry cleanning bag to place over the one hanging closest to his clothes to "avoid" the gliiter from getting on his stuff. Seems silly since it gets on his clothes as soon as he hugs the girls.
cduff0908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
KatyInNeverland
Earning My Ears

Oh I do love all of the glitter on the princess dresses! As long as they aren't the LE dresses you should be able to fold them and put them in a large ziplock bag. fold the dress in half at the waist, and then fold the skirt "corners" in and under the torso portion of the dress. (I'm a DS Cast Member and we occasionally have to fold dresses to fit into shopping bags and this is the best way I've found to do it.)
Your other option- and this would work if any of your princesses have Limited Edition gowns- is to fashion a garment bag out of a trash bag and tie the bottom or tape it closed. Then it can lay flat in a suit case. I'd avoid folding the LE dresses if you can help it. I'm sure shower steam would help- but it would make your trip more worry free if you could avoid needing to de-wrinkle gowns.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

When packing stuff that will crease, fold carefully then put in a ziplock bag, but instead of squeezing out the air, make sure there is some left in so the bag is a bit puffy. This stops the folds and wrinkles in the fabric getting pressed in place. DH uses this for his suit jacket, it should work with any special princess dresses that won't stand the squashing (never actually tried with these as only have a boy!!!) takes up a bit more room in the ease but works a treat for us.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

When we packed our dressed for our last WDW trip, I left them on the hangers, and put a large shopping bag over top, pulled the hanger through a little hole and tied the bottom. This prevented all the lovely glitter from getting all over everything! We also only brought one dress, and bought one while we were there which is what we will probably do for cruise as well
Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Before we travel, I always stop by the Dry Cleaners and ask for a few plastic bags/dress coverings. Very lightweight and they really do help in keeping out the wrinkles. Plus, they are free!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: