Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
disneyred
DIS Veteran

iphone 5

its no secret that the new iphone 5 is coming out.... i have never owned any phone with data . .let alone any iphone .... for those that already own one, are you thinking of upgrading ? if so , why?.... i have a chance to get an older model iphone .. or should I wait for the iphone 5??? its that or i had my eye on the samsung Galaxy 3 for a while now.....
just looking for thoughts and comments from actual users ...
disneyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyred View Post
its no secret that the new iphone 5 is coming out.... i have never owned any phone with data . .let alone any iphone .... for those that already own one, are you thinking of upgrading ? if so , why?.... i have a chance to get an older model iphone .. or should I wait for the iphone 5??? its that or i had my eye on the samsung Galaxy 3 for a while now.....

I love my iPhone and can't imagine life without it.

I will not get the new iPhone because I just got my current one in the beginning of 2012. However, my husband will probably get one as his iPhone is three years old now and he RARELY buys new things. His doesn't have Siri so that might be the reason.

I can't live without Siri. She helps me find things.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
3 MEN AND A BOAT
DIS Veteran

I got a 4s back in feb my wife just got one for herself yesterday, we've got no intention of upgrading. It's my 1st smartphone her 3rd, honestly I love it, I'm using it now to surf the web. If you are getting a new phone anyways I'd recommend one, I wouldn't get one till I needed a new phone though, but i never replace a phone "just cause". The 4's are on sale cause the 5's are coming out. Can't comment on the galaxy, it looks good though.
3 MEN AND A BOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I love my iPhone too. If it were in the budget, I would upgrade to the new phone as soon as it becomes available but I'll probably need to wait until next year. I have the iPhone 4 without Siri - this was my first smart phone. I was fine with my regular phone before this but I couldn't go back after using this for the last 2 years.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

contract is done in October so i cant wait to check out the iphone 5.
1 month to see how the iPhone 5 is before i pull the trigger on it...

All i have to decide now is ATT or verizon...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

My first smart phone was the 4S that I got last December. I won't be getting another phone for a while, but I sure like the 4S. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait and get the new version. It's fun to have something that's "the very latest", and it sounds like you've waited a long time to get a new phone.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyred View Post
DO NOT go older, trust me. I just got an older iPhone, a 3G and guess what, I can't even use Facebook or a whole host of APPs on there because the operating system limit is 4.2.1 for a 3G. Basically that phone is obsolete without using a hacking software, which I would never do.

So....if you are going to go the iPhone route, bite the bullet, buy the 2yr contract and then pay for the new iPhone OR buy a 4GS after the iPhone 5 comes out and they drop the price.

They are going to up the operating system to a iOS6 which means need to be on the "upswing" here.

In addition it is rumored they are changing basic features like the USB port, larger screen size, and other goodies.

Just don't go and wait in line on launch day if you do decide to go iPhone 5, it will be a madhouse.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

DH & I are planning to upgrade our 4s iPhones to the 5 and giving our 4s phones to 2 of our teens. They have older iPhones now. Both of them have birthdays this month and want new phones. We gave them the option of getting the $49 iPhone 4 or taking our old 4s phones with the cases. They both opted for the slightly used 4s phones.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

DH and I will be doing the same as PP. We will upgrade to iPhone5 and give the kids our 4Ss. We have four kids and they have to share. So far it works but as they get older I'm not sure what we will do. But yes, get an iPhone!! You will love it.

My excuse for the latest and greatest phone is always the upgraded camera. I no longer carry a separate point and shoot. I also love Siri!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Spring Break 2014 DLR PTR - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post50753138
November 2012 - 1st WDW Trip after a lifetime of DLR trips No Trip Report - But here is our Photo Book link
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AatGrNq0bOWbtg
momjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

I don't feel like I have to be on the cutting edge with my phone. I'm just now upgrading to the 4s from the 3gs, which I've had for 3 years. I mostly did it so that I can keep my unlimited data plan for another two years. When 2012 ends, that option ends with AT&T.

But I also did this instead of waiting for the 5 so that I can still have a 32 GB phone. I have 24+ GB of music on my 3gs right now. I figure the iPhone 5's with 32 GB will cost more than it's worth to me. So I got the 4s for $200 and kept the unlimited data. I may wish I'd waited once the 4s phones drop drastically in price, though.

I'm also keeping my 3gs to use myself strictly as a music device to keep plugged into the sound system here at the house. When I ordered the 4s, they offered to let me trade it in for a value of $80, but it's worth a lot more than that to me as just a music device.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
DO NOT go older, trust me. I just got an older iPhone, a 3G and guess what, I can't even use Facebook or a whole host of APPs on there because the operating system limit is 4.2.1 for a 3G. Basically that phone is obsolete without using a hacking software, which I would never do.

So....if you are going to go the iPhone route, bite the bullet, buy the 2yr contract and then pay for the new iPhone OR buy a 4GS after the iPhone 5 comes out and they drop the price.

They are going to up the operating system to a iOS6 which means need to be on the "upswing" here.

In addition it is rumored they are changing basic features like the USB port, larger screen size, and other goodies.

Just don't go and wait in line on launch day if you do decide to go iPhone 5, it will be a madhouse.
I have never found an app that will not work on my Iphone 3. It has iOS 5.1.1 I will upgrade to the 4s after the 5 comes out.
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
beatlesblonde
When will the madness end?

I'm hoping that the price of the 4S will go down with the release of the 5. I have a Droid X now that is on its last legs (it's several years old) and am wanting to switch to an iPhone. Verizon is offering the 4 for practically free with a new contract (which I'm up for) but I really want Siri and the dual processor. The 5 is supposed to be a bit faster, have a longer battery life and can run on 4GLTE. Other than not having the 4GLTE service I think I could live with the 4S.

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*

*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy*
beatlesblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #13
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I would like to have the iPhone 5, but I think I am going to run my iPhone 4 into the ground first. The 4 still does everything I want it to do.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #14
luv2mickey
Mouseketeer

My contract is up October 1st and I am planning on getting the iphone5 but I will see what the changes are and decide if it is worth it. So far I believe all the changes out there are rumors with nothing confirmed so far but I could be wrong I am certainly not a techy. I won't upgrade again for 2years so I think it's important to get something up to date because the technology changes so quickly. Plus it's going to make my teenagers really jealous, LOL.
luv2mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAW_KSU View Post
I have never found an app that will not work on my Iphone 3. It has iOS 5.1.1 I will upgrade to the 4s after the 5 comes out.
Maybe you have the 3gs? I have scoured the internet and from what I have read, I will need to use a hacking program like "Jailbreak" or "Whitedoor" to upgrade my operating software.

Your post is not helpful since I just got this iPhone only last week and have been trying to get myself up to speed.

If you think I can update my software on this phone from a 4.2.1 to a 5, without using a hacking program then please, enlighten me.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: