Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,984

What activities do you recommend at the Poly ?

Which activities were fun for your family ? The campfire at the GF , pool party , torch lighting or Ohana scavenger hunt ? Or any others that I might have missed. Which would you suggest for 2 adults and a 10 year old ?
__________________
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
mouseketeermama
Mouseketeer
 
mouseketeermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 286

Don't miss the movie on the beach or the campfire. Also Wishes from the beach is a must do!
__________________


Just a married to my raising our littleand tiny
mouseketeermama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members
 
Magic3forme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,075

The torch lighting ceremony was neat to see!

Wishes from the beach is a must do! ( enjoy a dole whip while watching)

a meal at Ohana is a must do too!!
__________________
Magic3forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
My2Angels
Mickey Moms Club member
 
My2Angels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 678

What is the Torch lighting ceremony?
__________________
DH Me DD (12)
DD (11) DS (9)


Dream 2014, YC CL 2013, Dream 2012, Poly 2012, BWI 2012, POR 2012, BC 2011, Poly 2010, POR 2010, Swan 2009, POR 2009, POR 2008, AsSP 2007, CR 2007
My2Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Wanna be Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,189

Do they do a campfire at the Poly???
__________________
ME(35) DH(41) DS(2)

Many Trips Before DS
2013
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
2014
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeermama View Post
Don't miss the movie on the beach or the campfire. Also Wishes from the beach is a must do!
We have done wishes & electrical parade on the beach but plan to spend our whole first day there and wandered what else to do. We will for sure do the wishes on the beach again that was one of my favorite parts of our stay last year.
__________________
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
Do they do a campfire at the Poly???
I think you have to walk to the Grand Floridian's beach for the campfire.
__________________
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Angels View Post
What is the Torch lighting ceremony?
Around 6:30 I think they light all the torches at the Poly that light up the walkways. Anyone else have details on this ? We stayed there but didnt see it.
__________________
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Poly has their own campfire with roasting marshmallows! It's a great pre-move and pre-wishes activity! They have lei making in the lobby as well as hula lessons. Also scavenger hunt, pool activities, Neverland Club (added cost, but they open for a couple hours during the day for you to check it out for free and you can bring the kids!) torch lighting, etc..

Definitely pick up an activity schedule when you get there. Lots going on and it is hands down our favorite Disney resort
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
Poly has their own campfire with roasting marshmallows! It's a great pre-move and pre-wishes activity! They have lei making in the lobby as well as hula lessons. Also scavenger hunt, pool activities, Neverland Club (added cost, but they open for a couple hours during the day for you to check it out for free and you can bring the kids!) torch lighting, etc..

Definitely pick up an activity schedule when you get there. Lots going on and it is hands down our favorite Disney resort
OK I will get a schedule and I love the Poly also. We were there last September but never done any of the activities except watch the fireworks and electrical parade on the beach at night.
__________________
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
OK I will get a schedule and I love the Poly also. We were there last September but never done any of the activities except watch the fireworks and electrical parade on the beach at night.
We just returned a couple months ago from 10 days at the Poly and we vowed to relax and enjoy more time at the resort which we definitely did!

Your 10 year old also might like the Pirate's Adventure that leaves from the GF. There's an additional cost but they take the "pirate ship" around to various "ports of call" (other resorts) and look for buried treasure. It's a 2 hour adventure and it includes a special bandana, snack, arcade game card and loot bag. There is usually a photo pass photographer on the adventure as well so you will get a photo pass card with the photos taken on the cruise. My DD 8 did it with her Disney Cousin who is 10 and they both loved it and asked to do it the next day
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!

Last edited by PHLtoMCO; 09-05-2012 at 11:53 PM.
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members
 
Magic3forme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Angels View Post
What is the Torch lighting ceremony?
There is a ceremony out front where they go through a tradition/ ritual of lighting the torches, then a guy dances/ twirls a fire baton. At the end he eats the fire too.

it doesnt last very long, but I like watching fire batons.

its been a while since we were there, but it was something fun to watch!!
__________________
Magic3forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic3forme View Post
There is a ceremony out front where they go through a tradition/ ritual of lighting the torches, then a guy dances/ twirls a fire baton. At the end he eats the fire too.

it doesnt last very long, but I like watching fire batons.

its been a while since we were there, but it was something fun to watch!!
Is it out in the front of the Poly where you walk in before checking in ? I plan on seeing this one.
__________________
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO View Post
We just returned a couple months ago from 10 days at the Poly and we vowed to relax and enjoy more time at the resort which we definitely did!

Your 10 year old also might like the Pirate's Adventure that leaves from the GF. There's an additional cost but they take the "pirate ship" around to various "ports of call" (other resorts) and look for buried treasure. It's a 2 hour adventure and it includes a special bandana, snack, arcade game card and loot bag. There is usually a photo pass photographer on the adventure as well so you will get a photo pass card with the photos taken on the cruise. My DD 8 did it with her Disney Cousin who is 10 and they both loved it and asked to do it the next day
That sounds like a lot of fun thanks for the info
__________________
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members
 
Magic3forme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
Is it out in the front of the Poly where you walk in before checking in ? I plan on seeing this one.
Yes it is outside... right at the main entrance.

Not sure of the time.. we went in Nov.
__________________
Magic3forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.